AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-04, 11:10   Link #2261
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
If Haruhi dies, Tanigawa killed the series for good. The story is too light hearted for someone to die.
Now that you mentioned it, this poses an interesting moral dilenmma.

Asakura Ryoko, a sentient being, was clearly obliterated out of existence by Nagato Yuki. Some Haruhi fans I have spoken to say it did not count as murder because Ryoko was made and not born, and hence was not even alive to begin with.

I for one disagree: Yuki-chan wilfully obliterated another sentient being, manufactured though she may be, and hence has killed another person.

What do you fellas think?
Old 2009-01-04, 11:43   Link #2262
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes or no, it would still count as self-defense. (first defending Kyon, then defending herself...those spikes were not exactly friendly).
Old 2009-01-04, 12:01   Link #2263
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Yes or no, it would still count as self-defense. (first defending Kyon, then defending herself...those spikes were not exactly friendly).
Still, by the standards of normal people (I don't consider myself terribly normal, so I'd like to know), does what Yuki-chan did count as killing another person? Both parties are manufactured, after all...
Old 2009-01-04, 12:30   Link #2264
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One might consider Yuki's abilities at that time: she cannot create or destroy really. Only alter the data. It is unclear if Ryoko ceases to exist, or if only her human form is deleted with her alien energy form (or however they exist) still being present, but unable to interact with the others. Thus it is hard to classify Ryoko has having died at all.
Old 2009-01-04, 17:31   Link #2265
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ryoko was severed from physical reality, so the existence called "Ryoko Asakura" is pretty much dead.

I don't think her data form can actually be destroyed, though. As we've seen in Vol. 4, it should be possible to recreate her. That Ryoko seemed to have some memories of her past self as well, going on about how she's Yuki's shadow and as long as Yuki exists she can never be destroyed, blah blah.
Old 2009-01-04, 18:06   Link #2266
Zantetsuken

Is Tanigawa seriously sick? Or is it just a rumor?

God, please don't let him die yet. I don't want another Trinity Blood in my hands...
Old 2009-01-04, 18:14   Link #2267
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Dear god, you're impressionable. It was just a pet theory of mine.

No one knows what happened to Tanigawa. He's just vanished.
Old 2009-01-04, 19:18   Link #2268
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I think he was more referring to Sasaki taking the power.

Which wouldn't make sense, narratively. I mean, it'd be a bold move, but as Sasaki is the designated antagonist, I don't see it happening.
Not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking something more along the lines of moving her and her group out of the designated antagonist slot and bringing up some of the hinted-at dark sides of the original three sides. Tanigawa feeling guilty about making the Anti-SOS crew one-dimensional villains, and giving them some justifications that even Kyon has to acknowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Least of all in a story as happy as Haruhi.
Kyon is happy. The narrator being happy does not make the story itself a happy story.
Old 2009-01-04, 20:12   Link #2269
Zantetsuken

HAHAHA. Did you think I was serious?

Damn, I'm too good at lying even I'm scared of myself.
Old 2009-01-04, 20:55   Link #2270
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking something more along the lines of moving her and her group out of the designated antagonist slot and bringing up some of the hinted-at dark sides of the original three sides. Tanigawa feeling guilty about making the Anti-SOS crew one-dimensional villains, and giving them some justifications that even Kyon has to acknowledge.
Well, let's see.

I really don't think Yuki's aliens really have much of a collective dark side. There are deviant groups like the one Ryoko belong to, but they seem to be few and far between. Besides, that angle has been explored to death, as has been Yuki's character.

(Frankly, I hope SHE dies. Then the story could actually go somewhere interesting.)

The Organization, despite being The Organization, aren't really presented as evil either, more like "trying to keep the status quo by all measures possible". They're trying to help Haruhi, in their own way, not control her. Fairly explored already. Not evil, just neutral. Very neutral.

The only original group that has a real, dangerous dark side is the time travelers. I can see that being explored, but not in this book. The current arc is about sliders anyway, as I see it.

Now, the Anti-SOS aren't as one-dimensional as you seem to be percieving them. Kuyoh is, but that's because her group actually is evil. (And being Yuki's opposite, giving her no character development at all would be fitting.) Fujiwara is very well characterized, and the fact that his group is working to go against destiny kind of makes them the good guys, even if Fujiwara himself is a Sneering Bastard.

Kyoko's group appears to be even more quasi-religious than The Organization. Can't really fault them for that...

Sasaki herself has actually presented in a very positive fashion, with some foreshadowing that her personality is actually much darker than it appears.

So how would Kadokawa not accept something like that again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Kyon is happy. The narrator being happy does not make the story itself a happy story.
The way it's written is very happy. Or are we reading different stories?

How is this story dark in the least? Everybody is cheerful, near-constantly. Except Kyon.

I don't even know where you got "Kyon is happy" from. Yes, he's relatively content. He still complains about everything...

Quote:
HAHAHA. Did you think I was serious?

Damn, I'm too good at lying even I'm scared of myself.
Okay, I fail to see the point of making comments like that. Also, you're trolling. Go to GameFAQs and do that. They'll love you there.
Old 2009-01-04, 21:20   Link #2271
ReneeBurossamu

Ughhh.
I'm still waiting for the final chapter of Haruhi to be uploaded onto Baka-Tsuki. It doesn't look like it will happen.

Did Tanigawa just decide to stop because he was lazy??
Looking at the release dates and the one-year gaps between volumes 7, 8, and 9, I was surprised that the final novel didn't come out next year.
I also noticed that the novels don't have as much context as the others, since they both had about 3 chapters.

D: I'm still waiting on Haruhi.
And it's been two years since the anime has been released.
Clannad AS could have waited, imo.
Old 2009-01-04, 21:55   Link #2272
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
Ughhh.
I'm still waiting for the final chapter of Haruhi to be uploaded onto Baka-Tsuki. It doesn't look like it will happen.
what? baka tsuki has all the books and chapters translated. What final chapter are you talking about?
Old 2009-01-04, 22:42   Link #2273
ReneeBurossamu

Quote:
what? baka tsuki has all the books and chapters translated. What final chapter are you talking about?
Sorry. I meant I'm waiting for the final book to be finished so that it's uploaded onto B-T.
D: It looks like Tanigawa is missing or something.
Old 2009-01-04, 22:43   Link #2274
Zantetsuken

He's going to make this a second trinity blood
Old 2009-01-06, 04:57   Link #2275
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I moved some of the recent posts into Novel/Manga since it was getting into some serious spoiler territory that better suits that thread. In fact, someone even asked why that topic wasn't being discussed in there.

Anyway, I realize that there isn't much to discuss here given the lack of news, but still please try to keep the novel discussion in the right place. When the next season comes, I don't want to be spoiled.
Old 2009-01-06, 04:59   Link #2276
typhonsentra

Yeah, it's pretty remarkable this thread reached over 2k posts with so little information provided. This show has some dedicated fans.
Old 2009-01-07, 15:57   Link #2277
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

What news ? There is no real news except an announcement in Newtype. Just wait till March.

"The February edition of Newtype promises “big news about the Suzumiya Haruhi TV anime” in the March edition. All speculation focuses on this being regarding the hugely anticipated and much belated second series."
Old 2009-01-07, 16:05   Link #2278
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
What news ? There is no real news except an announcement in Newtype. Just wait till March.

"The February edition of Newtype promises “big news about the Suzumiya Haruhi TV anime” in the March edition. All speculation focuses on this being regarding the hugely anticipated and much belated second series."
They said this last year about the July issue. No new information was released.

Analysis: Newtype is blatantly lying about a popular series in order to sell more copies.
Old 2009-01-07, 19:24   Link #2279
typhonsentra

There was news, just not anything substantive. We learned they're doing new designs and the initial project announced way back when was scrapped (I doubt it ever existed).
Old 2009-01-07, 21:54   Link #2280
brocko

I still think nothing was really cancelled, but rather just abit of wordplay to change the sequel title from "Melancholy 2" to "Disappearance", which is debatable but that's my interpretation at least.
Either way it was basically a repeat announcement of a previous one for the Newtype audience anyway, with an extra peek into the new character desgins of course.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen