AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 36.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 16.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.60%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-05, 00:23   Link #61
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I disagree with that completely, seeing as how he's just pretty much head strong for getting somewhere with Minori and not really up for getting into Ami's obvious pleas. Also considering that Ami was more or less a complete bitch he doesn't need to entitle her to much of anything. He's also far from being the dumb male lead as well, up to the point where I'd call that an insult to his character.
That's a deservice to Ryuuji's character. I don't think he thinks Ami or anyone for that matter in such harsh terms, nor really deserving such a putdown either, otherwise what does that spell for Taiga?

Quote:
And again, this isn't a contest either. Ami is the only one openly vying for attention somehow, while Taiga is shyly advancing towards Kitamura and Ryuji is actually doing quite well with Minori. Yes we know Taiga obviously has something for Ryuji, but this doesn't constitute matters to be some sort of sporting event, this show has alot more class, heart, and appreciation for honesty to lower itself to that type of grade A garbage we've seen too many times before.
That's a bit arrogant to think that classic old stories of young adults figuring out love on their own while getting in many false starts and tangled affairs, as garbage.

I'd drop the elitist attitude and just tune out any of the people you dislike and just enjoy the show. If people like to celebrate one of the characters over your personal favorite fine, but this is becoming more transparent that some people have an urge to putdown others for their preference. Stop it.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:26   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Almost any culture has some sort of moon/sun story that uses elements of the "rarely meeting not lasting". The sun (Amaterasu) and the moon (Tsukuyomi) have a variety of myths but in Japanese shinto mythology they are brother and sister (ne, Onichan! Hidoi desu!)
One telling is:
Quote:
Tsukuyomi angered Amaterasu when he killed Uke Mochi, the goddess of food. Amaterasu once sent Tsukuyomi to represent her at a feast presented by Uke Mochi. The goddess made the food by turning to the ocean and spitting out a fish, then facing the forest and game came out of her mouth, and finally turned to a rice paddy and coughed up a bowl of rice. Tsukuyomi was utterly disgusted by the fact that, although it looked exquisite, the meal was made in a disgusting manner, and so he killed her.
Soon, Amaterasu learned what happened and she was so angry that she refused to ever look at Tsukuyomi again, forever moving to another part of the sky. This is the reason that day and night are never together.
Quick notes on the episode:
The episode ends with Taiga getting to spend quite a lot of time with Kitamura, but left strangely unhappy it seems (especially considering she learns that Minorin and Ryuuji cooked together - something *she* did with Ryuuji). She kept defending Kitamura's trap skills in the cave but it was a sad plaintive defense. As she stands near Kitamura with the sparklers.... her sparkler goes out and she remains motionless.

Then the killer moment, watch how she runs to catch up with Ryuuji at the end. There's a lot of 'worry/need/don'tleaveme" in that run.

Ami's smart -- she's basically figured out this is a windmill-tilting pair of couples and she's a wild card in the mix.

A lot of information, relationship revelation, and progression in one episode... damn things leave one breathless.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-05 at 00:37.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:30   Link #63
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
That's a deservice to Ryuuji's character. I don't think he thinks Ami or anyone for that matter in such harsh terms, nor really deserving such a putdown either, otherwise what does that spell for Taiga?
Nah see, Taiga was honest.

Violent mind you, but completely honest.

Ami was / is a two faced attention whore, and while I agree he doesn't think of her that way, at this point he's beyond the means of likely thinking otherwise. It's more like he doesn't really think much of her, but not in a demeaning manner.

That part about her being a bitch was just my personality leeking out somewhat.

;p

Quote:
That's a bit arrogant to think that classic old stories of young adults figuring out love on their own while getting in many false starts and tangled affairs, as garbage.
Classic old stories of young adults?

lol

What are you talking about?

I'm refering to the same old harem crap we've had shoved down our throats for years now. Nothing but straight up garbage.

Quote:
I'd drop the elitist attitude and just tune out any of the people you dislike and just enjoy the show. If people like to celebrate one of the characters over your personal favorite fine, but this is becoming more transparent that some people have an urge to putdown others for their preference. Stop it.
I don't have a personal favorite, and frankly put I said that the show would be better enjoyed if it wasn't taken in that matter, in which I'm right. I didn't put anyone else down for wanting to 'cheer' for a certain character, it's just this show isn't being created in that fashion, so they're getting much less out of it, and well, kinda missing the whole point of what makes this show so amazing to begin with. Toradora is offering equal amounts of love and honest development to all its characters, instead of lining them up on a race track to chase after the robotic bunny.

I offered a suggestion, there was no malice or otherwise behind it.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-12-05, 00:37   Link #64
Voitan

Well, it looks like while Ami may still harbor fleeting emotions for Ryuuji, but I think she may have a pessimistic attitude that she and Ryuuji won't hookup ever now that she knows Ryuuji likes Minorin, and will probably thinking the best she can do is prod him in that direction, like some girls do for the guys they like, but can't think they'll have.

Quote:
I'm refering to the same old harem crap we've had shoved down our throats for years now. Nothing but straight up garbage.
And I was making the point that, that so called old same crap has been around before anime and has been enjoyed by a lot of people, where these shows with characters who are not as shallow or 2 dimensional as has been implied with harem anime.

Quote:
I didn't put anyone else down for wanting to 'cheer' for a certain character, it's just this show isn't being created in that fashion, so they're getting much less out of it, and well, kinda missing the whole point of what makes this show so amazing to begin with.
Overall it looked like you were dismissing people's posts on any discussion for any character wishes or outcomes that it's direputable garbage.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:42   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Its not an "elitist" attitude to discuss the contents of a post. If the post seems to be making an invalid comparison, its part of discussion and debate. If its defensible, it'll survive. Its not a "put down" when someone disputes a post.
Nothing wrong with liking the characters and hoping they'll turn out well. However, Many of us have seen too many threads here turn into mulch because bands of 'shippers were unable to discuss the *story* rather than treat it like a horserace. So there's some forum sensitivity to that sort of thing.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:45   Link #66
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Well for shippers, there is always doujins. If not happy enough, write a fan fiction.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:46   Link #67
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Almost any culture has some sort of moon/sun story that uses elements of the "rarely meeting not lasting". The sun (Amaterasu) and the moon (Tsukuyomi) have a variety of myths but in Japanese shinto mythology they are brother and sister (ne, Onichan! Hidoi desu!)
One telling is:
I love that one, beautiful

I just finished watching this episode the second time, I take back my earlier statement on Ryuuji. Even though he is absentminded, yet he does play his part on the whole deal wisely. How he stated to Minorin, " wanted her to believe in ghost", that was good. Wanted her to believe there is "love" for her, she just need to open her mind and be aware of it. As Ami, now I understand she really is telling Ryuuji how she feels for him, yet it could be a facade, but it shows sincerity on her behalf. Taiga, I still dont get what is upsetting her though, I guessing is because Ryuuji somewhat got his "time" with Minorin, but was that the plan to begin with in the first place? She seems more distance from him at the end.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:47   Link #68
Master Chibi

Quote:
And I was making the point that, that so called old same crap has been around before anime and has been enjoyed by a lot of people, where these shows with characters who are not as shallow or 2 dimensional as has been implied with harem anime.
Dude, do you see me hating on people that watch 'garbage'?

I don't, I just made a straight up comparison because, well, ToraDora is a gigantic refreshing breath of minty fresh air.

And most of the other stuff we've been given in this genre tends to be garbage.

Old 2008-12-05, 00:47   Link #69
Voitan

Quote:
However, Many of us have seen too many threads here turn into mulch because bands of 'shippers were unable to discuss the *story* rather than treat it like a horserace. So there's some forum sensitivity to that sort of thing.
So I suppose the message was a "preemptive" post onto these hostile shippers potentially present in this thread or in the future? Well, without a clear indication of the target audience of the post, it's going to be hard to interpret.

Quote:
I don't, I just made a straight up comparison because, well, ToraDora is a gigantic refreshing breath of minty fresh air.
It is. Overall it looks like this is a misinterpretation of points, but still, it felt a little oppressive for a moment.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:49   Link #70
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Well for shippers, there is always doujins. If not happy enough, write a fan fiction.
LOL, Stormie you are awesome
Old 2008-12-05, 00:51   Link #71
Master Chibi

Quote:
It is. Overall it looks like this is a misinterpretation of points, but still, it felt a little oppressive for a moment.
I get that alot because I tend to be vocal / passionate about things I enjoy / dislike.

You get used to it after a while, especially on here, where I stand out pretty damn bad.

Old 2008-12-05, 00:52   Link #72
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
LOL, Stormie you are awesome
Those things do itch a scratch for the people who dearly want to see something pass, like Yuki x Kyon material.

I hear the guy who made Haruhi initially considered Yuki to be the focus of the story, probably as the same role as Haruhi as the "god character" and that's why we see Yuki and Kyon pairing up to fix most of the problems in the novels.

Anyways, Toradora will finish out with suitable ends for all the characters regardless.

Quote:
I get that alot because I tend to be vocal / passionate about things I enjoy / dislike.

You get used to it after a while, especially on here, where I stand out pretty damn bad.

Heh, I'm new here, but you'll see me be just as vocal on seeing everyone get a fair shake at our shared interests.
Old 2008-12-05, 00:54   Link #73
Master Chibi

Quote:

Anyways, Toradora will finish out with suitable ends for all the characters regardless.
Hi five~

Old 2008-12-05, 01:01   Link #74
Voitan

Quote:
Hi five~

Though I still have my fingers crossed for my own selfish reasons.

MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA!

Can't help it, if I was in Ryuuji's position I'd... <--- which is really the reference point for many people why they like a certain character in the anime.
Old 2008-12-05, 01:02   Link #75
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
One telling is:

Quick notes on the episode:
The episode ends with Taiga getting to spend quite a lot of time with Kitamura, but left strangely unhappy it seems (especially considering she learns that Minorin and Ryuuji cooked together - something *she* did with Ryuuji). She kept defending Kitamura's trap skills in the cave but it was a sad plaintive defense. As she stands near Kitamura with the sparklers.... her sparkler goes out and she remains motionless.

Then the killer moment, watch how she runs to catch up with Ryuuji at the end. There's a lot of 'worry/need/don'tleaveme" in that run.

Ami's smart -- she's basically figured out this is a windmill-tilting pair of couples and she's a wild card in the mix.

A lot of information, relationship revelation, and progression in one episode... damn things leave one breathless.
Thanks for clearing that up, I'm gonna watch it the third time. It does seems though Ami has paid more attention to Ryuuji then ever before. I believe is knows why Taiga "loves" him, he is a genuine guy, there is a possibility at this point Ami has "fallen" for him. By doing so, she may be trying to help him realized the possibilities that is at hand, specially based on Minorin. Its common in the culture to help the one that you love for, even though it does not or it may does help yourself in the process, by helping them is also loving them indirectly.
Old 2008-12-05, 01:04   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Voitan: A lot of us here express ourselves and critique other viewpoints. Like a bookclub does... or a literary class.

It doesn't mean we hate the person -- I butt heads here severely with people and then in the next breath we're trading recipes.

Its just the competition of ideas.

One can try to model Toradora as a 'harem style romance comedy' but I think that fails to portray the situation adequately because of the mesh of relationships between these people. With its ensemble cast (that does highlight Taiga and Ryuuji as central characters) its more like .... MASH, the television series ... or Heroes, a more recent example. Its not a hub'n'spoke - more like a fishnet. I just find that series based on light novels done by the right people can produce really great results (e.g. SHnY, Spice&Wolf, etc)

I have a fair handful of 'harem anime' I've liked but usually it was the ones that did something different to either break out of the sequential arc format or shift the focus that stood out (e.g. Kanon, AIR, Canvas 2, Lamune, etc).

yeah, I get smacked a lot for being brusque or acidic .... its a Sisyphus problem - I get better I get worse I get better...

@KeitaroNagato: that's just my interpretation of the events of ep 10. YMMV
Old 2008-12-05, 01:07   Link #77
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:

Heh, I'm new here, but you'll see me be just as vocal on seeing everyone get a fair shake at our shared interests.
I always love your inputs, and references to Toradora! And everyone else here too. Even thou you are new, but we all feel the same with each other. 2nd Hi-5.... Slap!!!
Old 2008-12-05, 01:12   Link #78
Voitan

Quote:
@Voitan:One can try to model Toradora as a 'harem style romance comedy'
I though, from my dire need to see people respected, feel like people aren't coming to the show, championing their ideal choice, are coming because they're treating the show like a harem anime.

We see Toradora a lot in teen drama shows. There is a tangled web of relationships and multiple love interests in these shows, and they're not something as supposedly disreputable, or percieved to be shallow as, a Harem Anime.

And I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt that they're looking at this show in not some misguided way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
I always love your inputs, and references to Toradora! And everyone else here too. Even thou you are new, but we all feel the same with each other. 2nd Hi-5.... Slap!!!
Well, I say... You know, just to make sure I'm not as dense as Ryuuji here, you're not coming onto me now are you? /amimpersonation
Old 2008-12-05, 01:17   Link #79
Peanutbutter

Interesting episode...

Now I really wonder which way Ryuuji's loins are pointing to. It's obvious by now he doesn't fall for Ami's seduction, while maintaining his interest in Minorin, and taking great care of Taiga. Between Minorin and Taiga, if he had to abandon one so as to get the other, who will it be?

In the end, Taiga and Ami were pretty melancholic. I almost feel for Taiga with those sad eyes of her, as everything that had happened were out of her control, and possibly in future as well.

And I was right, the pranks at the end of Ep 9 were by Minorin and Kitamura. An eye for an eye.

Question though: When Minorin was supposely telling everyone she's "afraid" of ghosts, spirits etc and later she confessed she actually liked all these stuff, how does that relate to her beliefs in love and all?

It can't be that she was lying all the while when during Ep 9, she was talking about how she didn't "believe" in love, just like ghosts and all, and the later part about how she didn't have any current interest in anyone at the moment, can she? In other words, she may actually have an interest in someone, it's just that she doesn't want to say it?

Though it's obvious now that she has taken note of Ryuuji. Her development further on will be interesting as well. In fact, the development of all 5 will be very interesting.
Old 2008-12-05, 01:22   Link #80
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Interesting episode...

It's obvious by now he doesn't fall for Ami's seduction, while maintaining his interest in Minorin, and taking great care of Taiga. Between Minorin and Taiga, if he had to abandon one so as to get the other, who will it be?

Oh you already know that, neither.

Or both

Because he's either GAR enough to save both ladies or he'll be so twisted in either direction to save both that he can't save the two.
Closed Thread