AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-06-08, 10:42   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Unhappy New Line to produce Battle Royale remake

Ain't It Cool News posted that New Line Cinema along with producers Neal Moritz and Roy Lee plan to produce a hardcore American remake of Battle Royale.

As of to date, there is neither a screenwriter nor director involved in the current proyect.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 17:02   Link #2
sorvani

I'm really surprised someone picked this up for adaption. Happy but surprised. Let us hope it makes it to the screen (i'll settle for direct to DVD).
Call me crazy, but i LIKE to see other adaptions of stories i like, and i can watch them without the childish "OMG they changed XXX" ranting.

How will they americanize it? It will probably be a reality TV show.
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 18:49   Link #3
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

I have heard rumors about this for awhile. This is good... I guess. I'm so weary of Hollywood these days my preferred "cautious optimism" often turns into cynicism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
and i can watch them without the childish "OMG they changed XXX" ranting.
I don't like that either. So, after looking up these producers on IMDB, I'll start with "OMG what crappy producers!" instead. Or not, since I haven't seen any of the movies they've produced. Nor would I ever want to.

You know what would be fun though? If they could somehow cast the likes of Adam Sandler and Vin Diesel to play some high school students that end up being brutally murdered by Kiriyama.
Old 2006-10-24, 18:04   Link #4
S_C_L-1

old men playing the roles of high school students? NOOOooooooooo never!

i heard about this way back... i loved the book, but the japanese movie just made me cry.... you cant fit all of the story into a movie...

which brings me to my next point:

sequels!?!??!?! *vomits* (cuz you know hollywood)

Last edited by S_C_L-1; 2006-10-25 at 14:56.
S_C_L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 14:43   Link #5
xaisen

i loved the japanese version of battle royale
i ain't gona watch this one
ain't so good news for me since i think they shouldn't do a remake
xaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 15:35   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

American version?
So now instead of high school boys and girls we will have muscly actors running around with M60s, hamburgers, hotdogs and coke(possibly in glass bottles)...bad thing imo

Last edited by martino; 2006-10-25 at 15:53.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 18:44   Link #7
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
American version?
So now instead of high school boys and girls we will have muscly actors running around with M60s, hamburgers, hotdogs and coke(possibly in glass bottles)...bad thing imo
oh, and they are all gonna have southern accents!
Old 2006-10-25, 20:04   Link #8
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I hope they make it more psychological instead of Hollywood action.

One of the great thing about the manga was how they all battle the fear if the guy next to them were playing the game or not. It was that uncertainty that kept us guessing, what's going to happen on the next page or who's gona die. ^^;;

Last edited by Secca; 2006-10-25 at 20:18.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 22:37   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Just wonderful. I'll get to see Battle Royale in English. I just hope it doesn't suck half as bad as Ju-on and Ringu. The US hasn't had a great record of remaking Japanese movies.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 04:24   Link #10
EternalDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Just wonderful. I'll get to see Battle Royale in English. I just hope it doesn't suck half as bad as Ju-on and Ringu. The US hasn't had a great record of remaking Japanese movies.

Nor will they excel in this one. You can tell that much by the movie "The Condemned"
EternalDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 05:35   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Hey! There is a tiny chance that this version of Battle Royale won't suck! Please don't try to steal my last shred of hope!

PS. Just a few months ago I read the Battle Royale manga. Holy Moley that was awesome. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, correct yourself. It manages to surpass the movie by a landslide. The manga contains what must be the single greatest fight scene in all of manga. (If you've read it, you know which fight.) Thinking about that makes me even more desperate for this movie to be good.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-08, 09:21   Link #12
S_C_L-1

Apparently, the book is even better than the manga. But I haven't managed to get my hands on it...

Quote:
The manga contains what must be the single greatest fight scene in all of manga. (If you've read it, you know which fight.)
*explicit* YES!

EDIT: wait... no... That title goes to the Makunouchi/Sendo rematch in Hajime no Ippo... Close second tho!
Old 2007-05-08, 09:26   Link #13
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Call me old fashioned, but I don't see what's wrong with subbing or dubbing the original. No one ever remade Bruce Lee films and they were plenty popular.

However yes, I can see that an American version will likely get more attention from the likes of Joe Average.

I might check it out for lulz, but I'm not holding any hopes.
Old 2007-05-08, 21:35   Link #14
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I looove the novel. It scared the bijeezes out of me while I was reading it. The movies... made me LOL. I found it hilarious how blood just spurted out as if being spurt by a hose. Admittedly some of the lol came from the subtitles I was reading. "THAT WERE MY FRIENDS!" XD

Ah, also have to add, I think that the victims/killers were all junior high students plays a significant role in the scare factor of Battle Royale. At first, you don't really know what to expect of them - children tend to invoke more feelings of innocence and helplessness. It's disturbing to find that some of them won't hesitate to mow down their fellow classmates with a... fork! Oh man, I love the random weapon choices. XD
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 22:55   Link #15
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Didn't this already come out as The Condemned? That movie blew.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 00:08   Link #16
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Sweet! Pot Lid and Binoculars make their Hollywood debut! The Japanese movie was...interesting... I had a hard time reading the manga because of the explicit sex and violence, and even though those things are in the book, I can repress my imagination better than actually seeing the comic book image.

I'm interested to see what the remake amounts to...
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 00:50   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Didn't this already come out as The Condemned? That movie blew.
No. The Condemned is yet another movie adaptation of "The Most Dangerous Game" a short story by Richard Connell written in 1924. There have been many adaptations of that story of which this is not the best. By now the idea has been reworked so many times that the original is nearly lost beneath the festering mass of bad fiction that it has spawned.

It should be mentioned however that Battle Royale does owe some debt of inspiration to "The Most Dangerous Game" so you should really read that story to find out why it has been ripped off so many times.

Old 2007-05-09, 13:38   Link #18
Lordshin
(´・ω・`)/ 

Battle Royale was a great movie...
i dont think hollywood would be able to portray it as well though xD
theres something about japanese high schoolers killing each other :P
Lordshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 20:10   Link #19
thh420

i had the book a few years ago and should not have lent it to my so called friend. it was one of the best novels i had read in years. its on my top ten best novels list i gave to my cousins when they asked me for a school project.
thh420 is offline   Reply With Quote