Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-15, 01:20   Link #6861
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Another month, another killer quake:

China quake kills hundreds
Yes these quakes are becoming quite unsettling. I'm hoping this isn't the prelude to something of biblical proportions.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Last edited by Samari; 2010-04-15 at 02:39.
Old 2010-04-15, 05:34   Link #6862
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Yes these quakes are becoming quite unsettling. I'm hoping this isn't the prelude to something of biblical proportions.
It's not unusual. There's lots of earthquakes every year. We just got some bigger ones that did damage a bit close together. It happens. There's an average of 17 earthquakes a year between 7.0 and 7.9, 134 between 6.0 and 6.9, 1319 between 5.0 and 5.9, 13,000 between 4.0 and 4.9, ect. Increase the frequency of quakes by an order of magnitude as you drop the strength a magnitude.

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/2010/2010_stats.html
Old 2010-04-15, 07:25   Link #6863
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
It's not unusual. There's lots of earthquakes every year. We just got some bigger ones that did damage a bit close together. It happens. There's an average of 17 earthquakes a year between 7.0 and 7.9, 134 between 6.0 and 6.9, 1319 between 5.0 and 5.9, 13,000 between 4.0 and 4.9, ect. Increase the frequency of quakes by an order of magnitude as you drop the strength a magnitude.

So you are hinting that the news agencies ran out of things to report?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:33   Link #6864
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

10-year-old boy dies after imitating Gaara from Naruto

A 10-year-old Washington state boy died Monday of injuries he suffered Saturday when he buried his head in a sandbox during a play date while mimicking a favorite cartoon character.

Video
Tragic Play Date in SandboxA spokeswoman for the Seattle Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center confirmed that Codey Porter died yesterday afternoon. He had been in critical condition since Saturday, when he stopped breathing in the sand box in a family friend's backyard.

"We are sad to inform you that Codey Porter passed away today at approximately 3:35 p.m," the family said in a statement released by the hospital. "He passed peacefully, with his family at his side. We appreciate all the support and prayers that we have received."

Family members also announced that they would donate Codey's organs so that some other family may benefit.

Codey, a fifth-grader, reportedly was playing among a group of children near his age late Saturday morning when the group came up with an idea inspired by the popular anime-style character "Naruto." According to the official U.S. Naruto Web site, the character is a 13-year-old aspiring ninja who likes to play pranks more than he likes to train.

The mimicry involved Codey's playmates burying him head-first in a one-foot-deep sandbox, Joshua Quantrille told ABC News' Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV. Quantrille, 30, is Codey Porter's half-brother and his three sons were among the boys playing in the sand box Saturday with Codey.

Quantrille said the other children initially thought Codey, buried from his head to the top of his chest, was joking when he started to thrash around. By the time they got help, the boy had already stopped breathing. Adults at the house tried unsuccessfully to administer CPR before emergency medical personnel arrived.

The boy was transported first to Providence Everett Medical Center and was later flown to Seattle, where he remained in critical condition at the children's hospital until his death Monday.

Five children interviewed by investigators told the Swohomish County Sheriff's Office that the burial idea came from the popular cartoon. Sheriff's office detectives, who also spoke with the parents of the children, ruled Codey Porter's death a "tragic accident."

Here is some more informations.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:47   Link #6865
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
London (April 15): All flights in and out of Britain and several other European countries have been suspended as ash from a volcanic eruption in Iceland moves south.

Up to 4,000 flights are being cancelled with airspace closed in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark among others.

Britain's air traffic control service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in British airspace until at least 7am local time (2am EST) tomorrow, amid fears of engine damage.

Safety group Eurocontrol said the problem could persist for 48 hours. The airspace restriction was the worst in living memory, a Nats spokesman said.

These are some of the main knock-on effects:
  • Eurocontrol says Germany is monitoring the situation and considering partial airspace closures
  • The two main airports in Paris and many others in the north of France are closing
  • There is severe disruption in France and Spain, where all northbound flights are cancelled
  • Nats says it will make an announcement at 8pm local time as to the arrangements that will be in place through to 1pm tomorrow
  • British Airways offers refunds or an option to rebook after all its domestic flights are suspended
  • Royal Navy Sea King helicopter flies a critically ill patient from Scotland to London
  • British sports teams have been hit by travel problems after flights were grounded
  • Dozens of Leicestershire students were evacuated from accommodation in Iceland after the volcano eruption

- BBC NEWS
Old 2010-04-15, 11:50   Link #6866
Irkalla
I asked for this

Seems more like he was mimicking an ostrich. Kids at 10 years ought to be smarter than that, though. You just don't do that, neither do you play around in a sandbox at 10. Or do you? *sigh* My 15 months nephew just started fooling around in a sandbox, can't see him there at 10 years, no way.
Old 2010-04-15, 12:45   Link #6867
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

This was three years ago, dude.
Old 2010-04-15, 12:47   Link #6868
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Am I allowed to say lol? Burying yourself head first into a sandbox is never a good idea, I knew that by the time I was 6.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2010-04-15, 13:00   Link #6869
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

You are allowed to say lol. I don't expect kids to know what asphyxiation is at age 10, but I do expect them to be aware of the dangers of such an act.

Any condolences? I tried playing dolphin when I was younger. Good thing? I survived, this kid didn't. So the best we can do is bow our head and simply know knowledge, or the lack thereof is dangerous indeed.

...How unfortunate. Even though that is the cruel reality of being alive.
Old 2010-04-15, 13:04   Link #6870
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

I've been Bruce Lee, I've been Rambo

Hell, I've even been Superman, but even at age 5, I knew I wasn't able to leap off a tall building
Old 2010-04-15, 13:06   Link #6871
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Yeah this an old story.

They learned their lesson by banning all sandboxes deeper then 3 inches in washington state, classifying plastic shovels as weapons, so you need to be adult to buy or own one, and cartoons are now only braodcasted past midnight.
Old 2010-04-15, 13:09   Link #6872
Solafighter
Hige

That reminds me of the girl, who killed her father with an axe, like in Higurashi.
Old 2010-04-15, 15:38   Link #6873
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Yeah this an old story.

They learned their lesson by banning all sandboxes deeper then 3 inches in washington state, classifying plastic shovels as weapons, so you need to be adult to buy or own one, and cartoons are now only braodcasted past midnight.
I hope you are making this of.
Old 2010-04-15, 22:14   Link #6874
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post

Actually, there are quakes every day, but most of them have very low intensity, like 2.5 or 3.0. that's why we don't feel most of them.
Old 2010-04-16, 18:16   Link #6875
Crontica

14 Year old boy hammers father to death over video game

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-04-16/te...ther-game.html

Quote:
Russia (April 14, 2010 8:23 AM)
A 14-YEAR-OLD boy in southern Russia has been charged with killing his father with a sledgehammer after his parents tried to stop him from playing computer games.

The unnamed boy in the coastal town of Tuapse, located by the Black Sea in Russia's southern Krasnodar region, bludgeoned his father to death while he lay sleeping, regional investigators said.

"At around 1am (local time) on April 12, the suspect dealt his sleeping father at least two blows on the head with a sledgehammer," the region's investigative committee said.

"The man died on the spot from a head injury.

A spokeswoman said the parents had taken away the keyboard as a disciplinary measure after he spent a week playing computer games.

After the killing, the boy's frightened mother gave him the keyboard back and the boy played computer games for several more hours until he fell asleep, the spokeswoman said.

At that point, the mother, who was not injured, contacted relatives who in turn called police.

The boy, who has no criminal record, is now being held in pre-trial detention.

At 14, he is old enough to be charged with murder under Russian law.
Wooohooo.
Old 2010-04-16, 18:32   Link #6876
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
only face 10yrs in prison? when did russia get so soft on crime?
Old 2010-04-16, 20:23   Link #6877
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
only face 10yrs in prison? when did russia get so soft on crime?
Russia sadly as much as I love them has a rampant crime rate there with murders, Neo-Nazi hate crimes, corruption, organised crime. You get the point.

Anyway, who supports the following campaign to arrest the Pope?

Quote:
...Campaigners hope to cast a shadow over the Pope's planned visit to the UK in September - the first visit by a Pope since 1982.

Prof Dawkins wrote on his blog: "I am optimistic that we shall raise public consciousness to the point where the British government will find it very awkward indeed to go ahead with the Pope's visit."

And writing in the Guardian on Tuesday, columnist George Monbiot wrote: "Picture the pope awaiting trial in British prison, and you begin to grasp the implications of the radical idea that has never been applied: equality before the law."

The BBC's religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott said the anti-Pope campaign could be seen as a mischievous attempt to create an "air of criminality" around the Pope.

"The controversy over alleged Papal involvement in the cover-up of child sex abuse is providing atheists with a stick with which to beat religion," he said.
Old 2010-04-16, 20:37   Link #6878
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

SEC accuses Goldman Sachs of defrauding investors

"The government on Friday accused Wall Street's most powerful firm of fraud, saying Goldman Sachs & Co. sold mortgage investments without telling the buyers that the securities were crafted with input from a client who was betting on them to fail."

It's about time some charges were brought for some of this nonsense. Too bad it's only fines and no prison time.
Old 2010-04-16, 21:01   Link #6879
kittybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
SEC accuses Goldman Sachs of defrauding investors

"The government on Friday accused Wall Street's most powerful firm of fraud, saying Goldman Sachs & Co. sold mortgage investments without telling the buyers that the securities were crafted with input from a client who was betting on them to fail."

It's about time some charges were brought for some of this nonsense. Too bad it's only fines and no prison time.
I know it sucks i mean a guy in japan who stole two-cents worth of electricity gets a year in prison and these people only gets a fine...Praise the American Justice system!?
Old 2010-04-16, 21:05   Link #6880
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybear View Post
I know it sucks i mean a guy in japan who stole two-cents worth of electricity gets a year in prison and these people only gets a fine...Praise the American Justice system!?
Well, if an individual did it, they'd probably get jail time.

But corporations aren't people... except when it comes to campaign donations and speech.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international