AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-09-14, 05:30   Link #41
Ace of Dragons
AKA Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
DUDES! http://www.famitsu.com/news/201009/14033444.html

This is the only place I could think of to put this but that's not important right now:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!! O__O
...Okay, who's been feeding the Goats steroids?
Old 2010-09-14, 05:31   Link #42
snsninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
*looking the screenshot
I'm afraid we won't get marisajessica and tsurupettan though
Probually due to copyright or something like that
snsninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 05:32   Link #43
ArcticHelm

Holy feck. D: Need now!
ArcticHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 06:00   Link #44
charlieparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
PS3 is reigon-free though. So you can play a game from anywhere in the world on a North American PS3.
Does this apply to UK PS3s too? Darn I want this game >.<
charlieparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 06:17   Link #45
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Thread moved and titled fixed.

I'm not exactly that surprised by alchemist, although I wonder if it is really ok to put so many spoilers in that opening (I mean, you see almost every character from the question arcs, even characters you aren't supposed to know their existence, such like the siesta and Ange).
Seriously, they have put everything that I can't even call that an opening. The song is nice, but the sequence itself is really not inspiring.

The design is okay, a bit more polished than the one used for Higurashi, although I'm really afraid of distorded faces (especially CG... Yes, I'm talking about you Shion).
But the major concern is probably the BGM.

As another note, I wonder what's up with people comments from the last video they've put on their new project site. Omake random arcs perhaps...
Old 2010-09-14, 06:19   Link #46
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieparrot View Post
Does this apply to UK PS3s too? Darn I want this game >.<
ALL PS3s!

Too bad I can't read japanese T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm not exactly that surprised by alchemist, although I wonder if it is really ok to put so many spoilers in that opening (I mean, you see almost every character from the question arcs, even characters you aren't supposed to know their existence, such like the siesta and Ange).
Well I don't think seeing a picture of a character is really THAT much of a spoiler as you don't know who they are, which should leave the reader guessing. It's kinda like a cover for a manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
In bits like with the stakes in episode 3

Spoiler for space:
Something about Genji's and Maria's Sprite bothers me..... And the Goats look like their on Steroids O_o

Kanon looks fine though

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-09-14 at 06:30.
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 06:26   Link #47
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe8 View Post
Well I don't think seeing a picture of a character is really THAT much of a spoiler as you don't know who they are, which should leave the reader guessing. It's kinda like a cover for a manga.
Except it does lessen an impact when it is about demons and other furniture/weapon. Heck, showing Belphegor VS Rudolf is tad stupid.

In fact, the impact of Episode 2 and onwards isn't the same if you have a slight idea of new characters like that beforehand. I certainly wouldn't react the same as I did if I knew about the siesta back when I read Episode 3 for the first time.

EDIT: Okay, I've displaced the comments from the translation thread, and seen the sprites... the "non normal" ones are... well "fine" but as expected, whacky. Maria and Beato's faces are all over the place *sigh*
Old 2010-09-14, 06:58   Link #48
SupaPhly

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
to all you guys talking about the character sprites.
what do you guys think about the backgrounds?
SupaPhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 07:28   Link #49
Digdri
Uu~ Let's solve a riddle

Actually what I was wonder was how this other announcement factor into this.
Does this colorful galge they also had in this video have any connection to the Umineko universe or was that just come kind of PR gag to make the portraits for those new moe characters look remotely like the ones from Umineko in the teaser infos?
Digdri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 07:40   Link #50
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I have the same question... there doesn't seem to be anything in common between umineko and that "gal gun".

I fear this is just a marketing maneuver to get the umineko fans to buy that other game.
That announcer's face after the "gal gun" video was priceless.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 07:52   Link #51
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiYuki View Post
I just hope there'll be some sort of way to get it on computers & translated, or hell, even PS3 translated. I can dream. *-*
I may be getting a PS3 then just for this. Sigh... there goes my money, again. But as for a translation, I wonder, wouldn't the game be nearly line for line the same as the PC version? In that case you could almost play the PC version as you go along, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiYuki View Post
Also, Kylon, you're so lucky.. I really want the Beatrice one. ;3;
Actually, I would have to say the Beatrice one was due to Divine Intervention. As soon as I got the Maria, I one coined the Beatrice. For some reason when I dropped the crane down, it grabbed onto her head and actually moved her out into the prize area.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 07:57   Link #52
Ronove

It seems Goat-Kun is actually very very buff.
Old 2010-09-14, 08:02   Link #53
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronove View Post
It seems Goat-Kun is actually very very buff.
And it is about time he is shown as a brick wall, since he was described as imposing like a minotaurus back in Episode 2 and 4.
Although I agree he sort got a lot of hormones and steroids

Still watching the alchemist presentation movie, and I just hope they aren't seriously putting umineko with Galgun. I couldn't help but face palm at these... "noises".
Although that "angel" is voiced by Yukarin and the fact the 4 main heroines aren't voiced by their umineko counterpart seiyuu, so I guess they "just" have some loose connections just because they are both from the same company... hopefuly.
And is it me, or is he actually saying "バカゲーですよ! バカゲー! バカゲーですよ! バカゲーですよ!"?
Talk about going denpa... the female announcer's facial expressions were priceless there
Old 2010-09-14, 08:09   Link #54
Digdri
Uu~ Let's solve a riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I fear this is just a marketing maneuver to get the umineko fans to buy that other game.
I highly doubt this will really work considering this game seem filled to the brim with all those "dating sim" tropes and has non of the flair of When They Cry judging from what they show in this video. On the other side I don't how effective those PR tricks are on the Japanese otaku crowd ... and after all I have no idea in general what they actually talk about for all the long time

BTW: I think its mostly self-explanatory how they were talking about all the feats of the PS3 games after the intro trailer but after that there seem to be a rather long segment dedicated to R07.... if that's not just random PR blabla of how awesome this game will be would anyone care to translated / summarize what's this about.
I guess its nothing like the usual R07 interview stuff but nonetheless I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaPhly View Post
to all you guys talking about the character sprites.
what do you guys think about the backgrounds?
Well I think they look nice.
Well I think the better question is: How could they be not okay if they are anything like those in the Higurashi console games.
To be honest Umineko background graphics were never its strong point from a artistic or quality stand point even if the were still very effective in characterizing the mood an the setting. So anything besides photoshopped photos seem like an worthy upgrade to me
Besides those scene on the screenshots are for the most part easily recognizable as redrawn version of former PC game backgrounds.

Quote:
The design is okay, a bit more polished than the one used for Higurashi, although I'm really afraid of distorded faces (especially CG... Yes, I'm talking about you Shion).
Seem even for anime style graphics there is a Uncanny Valley ... the more polished the design the stranger this "unnatural" mimics become.

Quote:
Except it does lessen an impact when it is about demons and other furniture/weapon. Heck, showing Belphegor VS Rudolf is tad stupid.

In fact, the impact of Episode 2 and onwards isn't the same if you have a slight idea of new characters like that beforehand. I certainly wouldn't react the same as I did if I knew about the siesta back when I read Episode 3 for the first time.
I'm with you for this problem how the impact gets lost (Siesta shooting animation really is to much IMO) but I don't think stuff like the Belph vs. Rudolf is just a big deal. After all that the same super-fast-forward image collection as in the later PC game intros. So if you don't watch those intro in stop-motion and WANT to find spoiler you wouldn't even associate anything to this if you are new to the games. Seem on the same level as all this "material" in EP7 intro which spawned so many theories just a tad slower.

And you have to consider that promotion a "game package" with such an intro is not the same as putting out this games individually. They most likely don't have to luxary to produce multiple intros for one of this packages and "just" use them as the opening to individual EPs.

Last edited by Digdri; 2010-09-14 at 09:14.
Old 2010-09-14, 09:19   Link #55
immblueversion

In regards to the anime, I really liked the voices if anything. If no one will adapt Chiru into an anime, Alchemist need only to port it to the PS3 like this game and my life will be ever so slightly more complete.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 09:33   Link #56
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdri View Post
Seem even for anime style graphics there is a Uncanny Valley ... the more polished the design the stranger this "unnatural" mimics become.
I don't think it is about being polished or not. Higurashi is a prime example of that: the PS2 art is extremely generic, and yet, they managed to make a lot of silly expressions (especially Shion's crescent moon-like smile, turning her into a clown).
It is about how the artist can use the curves without going overboard. The manga is in the same boat: in some occasions, it is relatively nice, but in other cases, they are overdone.
Quote:
I'm with you for this problem how the impact gets lost (Siesta shooting animation really is to much IMO) but I don't think stuff like the Belph vs. Rudolf is just a big deal. After all that the same super-fast-forward image collection as in the later PC game intros. So if you don't watch those intro in stop-motion and WANT to find spoiler you wouldn't even associate anything to this if you are new to the games. Seem on the same level as all this "material" in EP7 intro which spawned so many theories just a tad slower.
I wouldn't have any issue if it was a non mystery genre, but unless someone is reading umineko for the "kicks", they would generally inspect every clues, and the Opening is one of them. I will admit that Belphe VS Rudolf is really not a "spoiler on your face", but admitally, if one could notice "something wrong", they would replay that portion and realize something.
I was half asleep when I was watching it, yet it was sort of weird to see a "familiar face" popping there, and realizing afterwards it is belphegor. And since it is obvious from the get go who are humans or not, well...

But that little detail aside, my biggest gripe is essentially the meta world and 1998 characters being thrown all over the place. Sure, this game is certainly aimed towards the original game readers (considering how the producer expressed himself), but heck, I can't imagine the impact on first reader... just imagine the effect on anime watchers if they were shown that opening instead.
Quote:
And you have to consider that promotion a "game package" with such an intro is not the same as putting out this games individually. They most likely don't have to luxary to produce multiple intros for one of this packages and "just" use them as the opening to individual EPs.
You can always make a "cutting edge" opening with all of the humans characters, and then Battler clashing with Beato. It isn't like you need to show every scene of the 4 Episodes, while the opening itself must be a "glimpse" of what you can see from the game.
Funnily enough, the opening of the anime did the job right, albeit in a very uninspiring fashion.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-09-14 at 10:07.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 10:53   Link #57
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I may be getting a PS3 then just for this. Sigh... there goes my money, again. But as for a translation, I wonder, wouldn't the game be nearly line for line the same as the PC version? In that case you could almost play the PC version as you go along, right?
Hey, there are lots of other awesome games you can play with a PS3 and nothing else, so just think of those . (although right now I'm just glad my dad is a Playstation fan XD)

You know, they didn't mention anything about editing the text, so I'd imagine it'd be just about exactly the same. (Too bad there's not a way to chat with anything other than a PS3 to my knowledge, because otherwise I'd have some ideas *cough*).

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 12:02   Link #58
Digdri
Uu~ Let's solve a riddle

Quote:
I don't think it is about being polished or not. Higurashi is a prime example of that: the PS2 art is extremely generic, and yet, they managed to make a lot of silly expressions (especially Shion's crescent moon-like smile, turning her into a clown).
It is about how the artist can use the curves without going overboard. The manga is in the same boat: in some occasions, it is relatively nice, but in other cases, they are overdone.
They are definitively overdone in the mangas and I often wondered if those design do the story justice (still more in Umineko then in Higurashi) but the real question is if this really is a bad thing for those producing this stuff.

I think the Higurashi anime is an even better example as they were not just overblown at times but also real low quality stuff but look how much "the fans" loved them.... they got transported by meme into all kinds of fan-made stuff and I guess Marias character derailment in the Umineko was just a function of this dubious hype.

Perhaps in that industry there are just a lot of people how care more for the potential money then preserving the original flair.... or this is just an arms race of "I can do this crazier / scarier then you."

Quote:
I wouldn't have any issue if it was a non mystery genre, but unless someone is reading umineko for the "kicks", they would generally inspect every clues, and the Opening is one of them. I will admit that Belphe VS Rudolf is really not a "spoiler on your face", but admitally, if one could notice "something wrong", they would replay that portion and realize something.
I was half asleep when I was watching it, yet it was sort of weird to see a "familiar face" popping there, and realizing afterwards it is belphegor. And since it is obvious from the get go who are humans or not, well...

But that little detail aside, my biggest gripe is essentially the meta world and 1998 characters being thrown all over the place. Sure, this game is certainly aimed towards the original game readers (considering how the producer expressed himself), but heck, I can't imagine the impact on first reader... just imagine the effect on anime watchers if they were shown that opening instead.
You mention the important point here: you really don't know who they considered their audience.... If they assume those game get bought by those you already read the SNs for the most part it seem understandable to put in all this "service" and no damage was done.
For all the rest of potential buyers IMO you also have to consider that "our" way of dealing with Umineko here is not the way everybody would do it. And while I wouldn't say this opening really is subtle about all this big revelation later on overanalyzing stuff from an intro sequence which flashes by really fast still is a pretty hardcore approach.... and I also wouldn't underestimate the amount of customers who just read it "for the kicks" - as you called it - because they go lured in by the Higurashi hype etc. Those people may not even watch the intro twice at all.
Which brings me to your last point...

Quote:
You can always make a "cutting edge" opening with all of the humans characters, and then Battler clashing with Beato. It isn't like you need to show every scene of the 4 Episodes, while the opening itself must be a "glimpse" of what you can see from the game.
Funnily enough, the opening of the anime did the job right, albeit in a very uninspiring fashion.
I guess that would have been the right way to preserve the original intention of the story. But from what I see in game and anime alike spoiler filled intros rarely are handled with care and it seem many people really don't care about this at all. Even for non mystery stuff it can easily diminish the effect if the direction of the later story gets reveal before the show even starts etc. .... there is a reason many animes don't show the opening in the first episode... its just the easy way out.

But that also always a question about context for spoilers:
There was this really nice review on YouTube about Baccano (which obviously also has a weird way to tell its story) and the reviewer commented how the first episode is essentially one big spoiler for every important twist to come but still it doesn't matter at all because without the right context they mean absolutely nothing to you and may even enhance the story.

I guess that just where Umineko gets really weird as the assumingly intended way to experience those game has become so unrealistic after all this hype about the games.
Even one single picture without context could potentially spoil the funs.
If you put this to the extreme you could even call all those forum avatars on the net or even the names of later games or their game covers "big spoilers"... you almost have to live under a rock (without internet connection ) and ignore all the big places of the otakusphere on the web to not get exposed to any of the most basic stuff of this games beforehand. Just accidentially watching the wrong AMV before playing the games may do much more harm then this intro.

And how many franchises with mainstream appeal do you know where spoilers no matter how minor have such a big impact and became such a big problem to deal with?
This whole forum structure here is like a tribute to this insanity and still there is no other way out. :P
I guess that just very few people besides the author have experience in how to treat this the right way in the different media.... Look what those companies produce most of the time.

And as a personally note I really wonder if it really does so much harm at all:
I knew there are strange butterflies and demons and bunny girls in this game for some reason (even read the names of the Siestas) before even reading EP2 and I also saw the EP4 OP before reading EP1 but I just chalked this up as "well its weird Japanese stuff" and didn't think about it much and all the big twist still worked just fine for my like for everyone else.
And realistically those characters really could mean anything without context. They could even be some mascot or part pf a in-universe TV show or a weird dream or whatever.

Those scene are just really big important spoilers to us because we already know they are big and important.
The PS2 Higurashi intro had the same kind of important scene in them. They just were not that obviously weird to pay much attention to them. The Kai intro even had Hanyu in it in really obvious way and it still didn't tell you anything important.
Old 2010-09-14, 12:03   Link #59
Used Can

Quote:
Battler hugging Beatrice is a massive spoiler, I think. Most players are supposed to rage at Beatrice like rabid dogs during the first 4 eps, especially during EP3's end.
Old 2010-09-14, 12:21   Link #60
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

I don't really think the spoilers are that bad, to be honest. Don't forget that EP1-4 are being released collectively; therefore, it's only like one product. With that in mind, any game with an opening montage (I'm thinking Final Fantasy XII or Kingdom Hearts) would have spoilers in them.

I would have problems if they gave away big hints, but I don't really see them. Quite frankly, there is so much stuff in Umineko anyway that people are likely to forget whatever "spoilers" they find in the OP.

I guess the things shown in the OP are supposed to make sense after you play the game, but not until then.

I'm much more upset about the $100 price tag, not to mention shipping ; ;
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote