AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-07, 20:41   Link #21
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I have the same problem with this one that I did with RE: Monster, in that the self narrating and rpg style growth is fun to a point, but then the cast starts increasing and power levels start increasing and it's no longer just a character in a cave learning neat things about his/her new rpg world.

Yes, I spoiled myself. Wasn't a fan of the twist. =\
This is a bad comparison. Re: monster is about power inflation. But Kumo is about being a machinator behind the scene in an "everyone is wrong" post apocalyptic world. These two are completely different genre.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 20:57   Link #22
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
This is a bad comparison. Re: monster is about power inflation. But Kumo is about being a machinator behind the scene in an "everyone is wrong" post apocalyptic world. These two are completely different genre.
Might want to move this to the WN thread at this point since I think your post is a spoiler, but I disagree with you here.
Spoiler for just in case:

Just for the record, I like it all around and don't mind it too much myself, but I do like earlier Kumo better than late Kumo.
Old 2018-07-07, 21:16   Link #23
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Might want to move this to the WN thread at this point since I think your post is a spoiler, but I disagree with you here.
Spoiler for just in case:

Just for the record, I like it all around and don't mind it too much myself, but I do like earlier Kumo better than late Kumo.
Which is not the point though. The core conflict of the series was never about super power fighting super power.
Hell, there can't be a fight anymore because no one beats D and her maid. Even the Kumo wants to run instead of fight.
The power has only be a mere device to move the plot. No more no less.
The core conflict is always about how the world suck and it's people suck. And this can't be solved by power, because power alone does not change what people think.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 21:33   Link #24
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the storytelling style. They both drew me in because it was fun to see the character start from nothing and slowly work their way up, learning as they went through narration. Honestly, Kumo's mental images are pretty funny, and they add a lot to the story.

But the problem is that it has to end sooner or later. Everything just grows in scope and the initial charm of being a newbie vanishes because, well, they're not newbies anymore. Sort like realistic I guess, given the rpg/mmo influences.
Old 2018-07-09, 12:00   Link #25
kari-no-sugata II

A lot of series tend to be "more of the same" with each new volume or story arc but this series isn't, so one big problem with trying to describe or compare this series is that it depends on what scope you use. In a similar way, comparing someone's life is rather different if you just look at their first few years or not.

If we limit the discussion to just the MC, then early on the scope of the story is very limited (it's basically pure survival) but various questions are posed (explicitly or implicitly) and they are answered over time and the scope of the story expands as a result of that and also with the MC's growth and eventually this leads to a fundamental change that's very interesting. Certain things that are important and frequent early on fade away and almost go away entirely or are replaced by higher level concepts and certain things that barely occur early on become major factors later on.

If we limit the discussion to all the reincarnators apart from the MC (since this is a "whole class reincarnation in another world" story) then you get a very different picture. One pair have a rather conventional "isekai" story - they become adventurers and gain a decent amount of strength and experience, but they're barely seen at all in the larger story. The majority of them have very boring lives, though through no fault of their own. Several get a lot of focus early on then vanish for a large chunk of the series.

For the overall series, one thing that particularly appeals to me is the depth of the world-building - I've not seen another WN/LN series that comes close, though I'm not saying they don't exist (suggestions welcome). For better or worse the deep world-building is not that obvious early on, but clearly the author planned out an awful lot. It's nice just how much of the story can be explained and understood. A lot of stories hand-wave the setup for the story to a large degree but here the setup has a lot of interesting depth and detail (once it finally comes out). A lot of series hand-wave concepts like conservation of energy or economics but here they are fundamental to the problems facing the world. The overall story is also something of a deconstruction of the fantasy genre - it very much does not rely upon convention.

The author also makes use of a number of interesting ideas in terms of story-telling. The most obvious one being the side-stories and exactly how they integrate into the main story. It would be great to get a two cour series so that the first 5 volumes (which roughly equates to chapter 200 or so in the WN but there's significant differences) can be covered in depth so that this interesting story-telling can be explored. (It would be a particularly evil point to end the anime on though). I'd be surprised if this happened but I was surprised the anime itself is happening so you never know.

Quote:
I have the same problem with this one that I did with RE: Monster, in that the self narrating and rpg style growth is fun to a point, but then the cast starts increasing and power levels start increasing and it's no longer just a character in a cave learning neat things about his/her new rpg world.

Yes, I spoiled myself. Wasn't a fan of the twist. =\
I'm not sure what twist you're referring to since there's several. Also, some things that appear to be twists are actually misdirection...

Quote:
But the problem is that it has to end sooner or later. Everything just grows in scope and the initial charm of being a newbie vanishes because, well, they're not newbies anymore. Sort like realistic I guess, given the rpg/mmo influences.
You might like the LN version more than the WN as the author introduces more things for the MC to have to slowly learn from scratch (to be a newbie in) - there's a number of things in the WN that are over very quickly but become greatly expanded upon in the LN as the author has re-written large chunks of the story (same overall destination, just a better route getting there) though I do miss the removal of certain scenes.

There's no replacement for the pacing and simple fun of the initial stage of the story though. Hopefully the anime can do a good job of bringing that out. The manga author did a great job and I'd be extremely happy if the anime achieves the same.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 08:29   Link #26
kari-no-sugata II

Official announcement (in Japanese):
https://webnewtype.com/news/article/153944/

What we had until now was an unofficial leak due to the covers for the latest novel and manga volumes being shown before release and those mentioned an anime version in the works.

The announcement above doesn't really come with any new info that I can see but I thought I'd mention it for completeness sake.

I also found this:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-expo/.133934

Which mentions that Joutarou Ishigami will be the producer:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc....php?id=117408
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote