AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 3 18.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 31.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 37.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 6.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 6.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-03-20, 23:18   Link #81
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

so Skyrim bought us an arrow to the knee meme, this series bought us an arrow to the shoulder meme with that unlucky JSDF guy....
Old 2016-03-21, 00:08   Link #82
ReddyRedWolf

Can't help but think of the irony the JSDF having local allies with their raid to rescue dignitaries and politicians.

The Raid of Cabanatuan wouldn't have worked without help from Filipino guerillas and civilians.
Old 2016-03-21, 01:00   Link #83
Yan3242

Do the empire has some kind of heavy weapon? Ballista? Catapult? I was hoping to see some action from it.

Probably the surprise attack effect but still...
Old 2016-03-21, 04:14   Link #84
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
Do the empire has some kind of heavy weapon? Ballista? Catapult? I was hoping to see some action from it.

Probably the surprise attack effect but still...
Two things:

1. JSDF did a surprise attack, Empire was not ready for it + they are medieval army so gathering large army would take time.

2. They have heavy weapons and such but the problem was that SDF had people inside city. Among them are special forces guys who probably took care that none of that works by the time main force arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
operation Market Garden? 40,000+ paratroopers.

Well, honestly when you compared the level of technology between the two the scale is about right. xD

Also one of the reasons SDF cannot conquer Empire so easily - they lack troops and equipment necessary to do so.
Old 2016-03-21, 04:56   Link #85
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post

Do we know the distance from Rondel to the Capital? From the Capital to Alnus is about 600 Kilometers if I recall correctly.

Spoiler:

Rondel-alnus= 500-600 Km

Rondel-capital=800Km (but there are mountains in the middle)
Old 2016-03-21, 09:16   Link #86
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by francescoG1 View Post
Spoiler:

Rondel-alnus= 500-600 Km

Rondel-capital=800Km (but there are mountains in the middle)
There's a massive error in that map translation.
The black lines show territories OBSERVED by the JSDF, not held.
The only territory "held" by the JSDF is Alnus hill.
Old 2016-03-21, 19:52   Link #87
rladls2121

To me, it is hard to believe that SDF built those star-shaped fortress on multiple places.
It is not like they have some time spare doing that since they entered Special Region.

Thinking back what Yanagida said to Itami back in episode 4, I still wonder what is their objective in the Special Region.
Lot of people there owed SDF a lot, I don't know about some others if SDF owes them something though.
I must say the SDF quite involved in Special Region affairs.

It must be hard for the modern world in GATE to believe these kinds of happenings, Alnus Hill, Italica, Elf's territory(forgot the name), Jade Palace, and Empire.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2016-03-21 at 21:03.
Old 2016-03-22, 00:16   Link #88
Yan3242

^i doubt it, thanks to modern society nowadays things that consider "strange" 10 years ago is now a normal stuff.

We have people who believe alien/elves/vampire etc are real, otaku with their antiques doing cosplay and worshipping a character that is not even exist in this world and any other stuff

They probably going "wow" for a couple of months because they finally got to see and touch their fetish come true (bunny girl, elves, angel wing, cat girl, etc) but after that, things probably back to daily routine as usual
Old 2016-03-22, 01:12   Link #89
rladls2121

Quote:
^i doubt it, thanks to modern society nowadays things that consider "strange" 10 years ago is now a normal stuff.

We have people who believe alien/elves/vampire etc are real, otaku with their antiques doing cosplay and worshipping a character that is not even exist in this world and any other stuff

They probably going "wow" for a couple of months because they finally got to see and touch their fetish come true (bunny girl, elves, angel wing, cat girl, etc) but after that, things probably back to daily routine as usual
I wonder if there's any mentions of fetish touching for orcs, dragons, and those three small creatures who were tricked into assassinating Itami's group so far?

If there are some people with lot of curiosity to examine its bodies, I don't think they won't stop "wowing" just after a couple of months though.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2016-03-22 at 01:22.
Old 2016-03-22, 04:16   Link #90
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
To me, it is hard to believe that SDF built those star-shaped fortress on multiple places.
It is not like they have some time spare doing that since they entered Special Region.
Not multiple places - only one and that's Alnus.

And they have been there for quite some time. And with our newest technologies they can set up that kind of base fast ( I mean you have houses today that can be built in few days ).

And why star shape? It has been proven in history time and time again that these types of fortresses are hardest to assault and conquer.
Old 2016-03-22, 07:27   Link #91
Yan3242

Quote:
And why star shape? It has been proven in history time and time again that these types of fortresses are hardest to assault and conquer.
There is actually valid reason for that? i have almost zero knowledge about military stuff so this is really surprised me.

I though it just a homage/reference from the author for pentagon building.
Old 2016-03-22, 08:43   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
There is actually valid reason for that? i have almost zero knowledge about military stuff so this is really surprised me.

I though it just a homage/reference from the author for pentagon building.
The star shape was developed to ensure maximum coverage by cannons/artillery for the defending forces. The best defence is a good offence, once we no longer rely on arrows the most important purpose of a fortress was to permit crossfire on the approaching enemy.

The star fort disappeared, once aerial bombardment was invented and the only way to defend yourself is to be entirely underground.
Old 2016-03-22, 11:33   Link #93
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The star shape was developed to ensure maximum coverage by cannons/artillery for the defending forces. The best defence is a good offence, once we no longer rely on arrows the most important purpose of a fortress was to permit crossfire on the approaching enemy.

The star fort disappeared, once aerial bombardment was invented and the only way to defend yourself is to be entirely underground.
Hah, I didn't know that. I always assumed they built it over or around some kind of existing structure, maybe some old ruin having to do with the Gate's past, because hexagrams, pentagrams, and all those other -grams so often have to do with mysticism and all that.
Old 2016-03-22, 17:58   Link #94
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

^^This.

And because enemies in GATE don't have air force ( at least not one that can do a massive ton of damage like hundreds of airplanes can ) star shapes are best to get enemy in crossfire of two opposite walls rather than one.
Old 2016-03-22, 18:03   Link #95
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's kinda debatable if it's really worth the trouble of making a fort, but we kinda had that debate when the fort first appeared.
Old 2016-03-22, 19:14   Link #96
Brother Coa
Banned

With modern materials it's easy to build and standard military practice today is when you send expeditionary force you must built a base of operations for them.

SDF probably thought that since enemy is medieval level technology fort like base would be much better option and it would take longer for their enemies to overrun it than simple wired bases we have today.

That way you can defend entire base with just several hundred troops, unlike 10.000 they used at Alnus Hill battle.
Old 2016-03-22, 19:23   Link #97
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

And the counterpoint was that a base is there to play to your strengths rather than the enemy's hypothetical weaknesses. Artillery defends Arnus base, not the walls. Walls are great for medieval defenders, not modern armies. All walls are doing is run up the costs and sacrifice flexibility.
Old 2016-03-22, 21:00   Link #98
Brother Coa
Banned

That's true.

But they probably play to the card that what if there is no artillery to back them and enemy suddenly attacks with superior numbers? In that scenario mere barbed wires won't be enough to hold down legions of soldiers storming them.

And while I agree that walls are not for modern armies as they are more built for speed than entrenchment in this case ( where you fight medieval enemy ) base is ok addition. All strong armies do the same thing today and that is building a base in foreign country.

And while it does sacrifice flexibility to a degree - it also offers them strong standpoint ( to which they can always retreat in time of crisis ) that is easily defended while gunships can rotate around it and gun everyone down caught in crossfire.

So, when all is added and removed. Building a strong and fortified base in special region is a smart move. The reason why it was build so strong is because they still don't know what is out there in the world and cannot take a risk with building lighter base that can be overwhelmed.
Old 2016-03-22, 22:00   Link #99
Top Sergeant

I'd think the visible fortress would have a better effect on the medieval mind that Alnus was heavily defended, and thus discourage attack.

After all, if the SDF does it right, a modern 21st century defense is camouflaged so well you can't see that its there.
Old 2016-03-23, 00:05   Link #100
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

There's also the fact that the JSDF still has no idea how long the Gate will stay open. If they were suddenly cut off from Japan, they'd eventually run out of resources. Medieval protection against a medieval siege might be necessary.