Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-09, 23:28   Link #1
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Anime you wonder why it isn't/was licensed

Ok I just had to post this.

Anime like Naruto and Hunter X Hunter. I mean ??? i dunno what is happening there.

Anime u wonder why they licensed Piano. I mean its ok but???
Old 2004-09-09, 23:31   Link #2
Fronzel
Schmuck

Well, there's lots of competetion for freakin' Naruto, isn't there? Someone has to win, and then they have to actually anounce it.

I wonder why KGNE isn't licensed.
Old 2004-09-09, 23:38   Link #3
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Well, there's lots of competetion for freakin' Naruto, isn't there? Someone has to win, and then they have to actually anounce it.

I wonder why KGNE isn't licensed.

Yeah thats true ^-^" imagine all the distro's arguing
Old 2004-09-10, 00:29   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, from the last word I had on naruto the war is pretty ugly right now and while it was at one time down to just 3 competitors, it went up to 6, then 9, then down to 5 still in the running, then 7, then 4 then 5...well, you get the point. Nobody seems to be winning and the studio producing naruto is just going apenuts over this because when all is said and done they're going to get a bloody HUGE chunk of change out of this one. Probubly even more than 4kids paid for OP.
Old 2004-09-10, 02:17   Link #5
wao
OK.

Yeah, I imagine for Naruto the only reason it isn't licensed is because everyone's fighting for it... Though I dunno about Hunter X Hunter...

What I'd like to ask is why the !@#$% they licensed Azumanga Daioh of all things... next thing you know they'll license Shinobuden and nobody'd get the jokes...
Old 2004-09-10, 02:38   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
What I'd like to ask is why the !@#$% they licensed Azumanga Daioh of all things... next thing you know they'll license Shinobuden and nobody'd get the jokes...
Well, it depends on who you think their target audience is - I am getting the jokes in Azumanga Daioh (at least I think I am), and I bought the DVDs - maybe their target audience was existing anime fans, as opposed to the mass-market. Same thing applies to most of the other licensed shows that people may wonder about - all they have to worry about in licensing an anime is can they sell enough to make their money back (and hopefully make a profit overall). I'm sure some shows never do make a profit, but they are offset by shows that end up being huge successes. Not every show needs to be a candidate for TV broadcasting and, frankly, I'm glad they license many shows that don't fit into the "popular anime" stereotypes.

In terms of shows I'd like to see licensed, I would definitely vote for shows like KGnE, Kanon, and Da Capo, but I don't wonder why it hasn't been licenced yet; I know that the ero-game anime genre isn't that popular (even though I like it). There may be hope, though, as we are beginning to see the turning of the tide in the licensing of the genre (with the animes of To Heart, Tsukihime, and others coming over). I suspect that it's only a matter of time before we see the deals for the other shows.
Old 2004-09-10, 03:11   Link #7
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Considering how much GDH has thrown into Samurai7, I'm suprised some big monolith somewhere hasn't picked it up yet and Gonzo is taking their sweet time in marketing this show. It's odd because the foreign investment profile for this company is just short of amazing and stuff they make is unlikely to be without an english language sub./distribution licence for long.
Old 2004-09-10, 03:17   Link #8
.Rurouni.
Anime addict

Send a message via ICQ to .Rurouni. Send a message via MSN to .Rurouni.
DearS, Girls Bravo, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai. Are shows I wonder why they haven't been licensed yet
Old 2004-09-10, 03:30   Link #9
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Rurouni.
DearS, Girls Bravo, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai. Are shows I wonder why they haven't been licensed yet
DearS and Girls Bravo are so new series that its not their "time" yet, it is true that Kurau was licensed after two episodess but most series get their license only after they have finished in Japan.
But Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was so popular so I'm too wondering why it hasn't licansed yet, also Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai should get its license soon... Mahoramatic was licensed so it would be a miragle if it don't.
RahXephon OVA, why isn't this already out, they have the series and movie, so why not this?
Sailor Moon SuperS, are the characters really so controversial that they don't want to license this. I would have understand it five years ago but now I think it would be no such big deal.

What was Media Blasters thinking when they licensed Eiken!? Now, I like fanservice and all that, but Eiken was quite disturbing... well its was OVA so I quess not a big investment.
Old 2004-09-10, 03:41   Link #10
Iron Monkey

The one that still baffles my mind to no end is why Koi Kaze is licensed. I mean, I really can't see that being more than a cult hit at best. I mean, full blown incest. That really doesn't sound too popular to me.
Old 2004-09-10, 04:11   Link #11
FlyByNite

You guys already mentioned my picks for the top two "WTF were they thinking when they licensed this?" this year. Koi Kaze (atual blood related brother/sister storyline? Presented as a realistic drama and not involving any supernatural elements ala Angel Sanctuary)

and then Eiken.

I have no idea why anyone would buy that DVD. If you want fan-service there's FAR better shows out there with fan-service, if you want funny ecchi comedy the anime isn't EVEN FUNNY and if you just want to watch it cuz you're horny just buy a hentai anime, you'll see more nudity in far more realistic proportions (generally)
Old 2004-09-10, 08:29   Link #12
bayoab

Just some clarifications on the above ones:
1) Da Capo is probably licensed at this point (They said announcement at end of the year iirc).
2) Samurai 7 is in negotations (this is straight from Gonzo in July).
3) Koi kaze was co produced...but yes.. WTF was Geneon thinking.

Things I wonder why they arent licensed:
Memories Off - How much better could it be for a company than a dating sim ova that you can sell on 2 discs
Fafner - How the hell did nobody announce this already...
Air
Kanon
Old 2004-09-10, 08:55   Link #13
panianna

My 'still' unlicenced list:
Lupin: The First Contact. One of the best Lupin movies and still unlicenced. Shame on you, licensing companies.
Shadow Skill TV. OVAs are licenced, right? Maybe they were not very popular, after all.
The same goes for King of Bandit Jing in 7th Heaven. It looks like ADV doesn't need this 'appendix'.
Air Master, though not my personal favourite. I just assumed that everybody nowadays was oh so fond of fanservice.
Ayatsuri Sakon. Maybe it's too old already.

On the other hand, the licensing of 'Legend of Condor' hero was, well, unexpected. It's not a potential bestseller, is it? And prelicensing of 'Otougizoushi' was a hard thing to explain.
Old 2004-09-10, 09:12   Link #14
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

more than half of media blasters' older licenses have me using this phrase:
"WTF were they thinking when the licensed (insert show)"
which include but are not limited to:
Knights of Ramune
Voogie's Angel

and even though i know WHY they haven't been licensed, i still want the rest of Macross to be licensed
Old 2004-09-10, 10:03   Link #15
jpwong

I'm personally a bit baffled on Bandai's licensing of DanDoh. A golf anime might sell decently in a country that has limited or no access to golf courses, but I somehow can't see it being such a big hit over here.
Old 2004-09-10, 10:41   Link #16
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
On the other hand, the licensing of 'Legend of Condor' hero was, well, unexpected. It's not a potential bestseller, is it? .
Tell that to just about every single English speaking Chinese bloke on the planet There should be several million of them in Europe and America alone

Piano has a big 'if' to it- it's just what it says it is: a girl learning to express herself through a musical instrument. On the other hand, anyone who has gone through a demonic music teacher is going to have a severe deja vu attack from it They'de probably love the show though.
Old 2004-09-10, 10:43   Link #17
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I was rather suprised when Dokkoida was licensed. There were so few people that even watched the fansubs of it that it was truely a shock when Geneon announced it.
Old 2004-09-10, 12:15   Link #18
Kaoru27Umi
Jounin

Send a message via AIM to Kaoru27Umi
I'm surprised they didn't license Madlax yet, but i'm glad they haven't!
Old 2004-09-10, 12:45   Link #19
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I am very suprised that Girls Bravo isn't licensed and Elfen Lied is. I love both but the blood in EL makes it a license magnet? It's not like I'm gonna start seeing dolls of Lucy cutting off limbs in my local otaku store is it?

Maybe because of 2nd season on GB? They are trying to get the most bang out of the buck during bidding?

Of course KGNE is a tough one to license dub it wrong and you just f'd up a wonderful Anime.
Old 2004-09-10, 13:04   Link #20
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Da Capo and Kanon so seriously needs to get licenced. Now the licencing of Asumanga Daioh I fully agree with. That's a great anime and well worth buying the DVD's.

Plus since my mom liked Kanon in fansub so well, I'd love to see this series get licenced, but ONLY if the dub is good. If they blow the dub, then it was a wasted effort in my book.
Closed Thread