AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-03-16, 20:52   Link #11801
AaKkisa

With thanks to Un1ver5e, I finally got around to finishing my MG Destiny extreme edition. I was never good at panel lining nor decal applying so don't want to try and mess it all up but first time at dry-sticker applying. Think it turned out alrite?

Spoiler for large pictures:

With a PhD in Horribleness.
AaKkisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 21:49   Link #11802
Un1ver5e

Send a message via MSN to Un1ver5e
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaKkisa View Post
With thanks to Un1ver5e, I finally got around to finishing my MG Destiny extreme edition. I was never good at panel lining nor decal applying so don't want to try and mess it all up but first time at dry-sticker applying. Think it turned out alrite?
The decals look nicely done. You might want to try experimenting panel lining on 1/144s first before touching up on your Destiny. After which, matt-flat coat it and it'll look awesome.
Un1ver5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 22:12   Link #11803
MrCapcom
Kage Bunshin Noob Jutsu

Send a message via AIM to MrCapcom Send a message via MSN to MrCapcom Send a message via Yahoo to MrCapcom
lol everyone doing MG destiny's

for anywhone who missed it lol I messed up my decals too I gotta order some more >_>
I got a chrome hand though ^_^
Old 2009-03-16, 22:23   Link #11804
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

OMG!!! Robot Damashii Garazzo this Friday!!!!
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 03:14   Link #11805
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaKkisa View Post

Spoiler for large pictures:

As mentioned before the decals turned out nice and neat but needs a matt coat finish to make it seem less toy-like with it's glossy sheen alongside some panel lining. Although you might want to clean up the nubs you left behind after cutting from the runner as it stands out like a sorethumb in some places. The black wing for example is the most obvious place and should really be sanded down to make it more neat. Apart from that, overall pretty good
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 03:55   Link #11806
ryanvamp

Are there some good youtube videos about applying dry-decals, water-decals, top coat, matt coat (I don't even know what that means) and sanding ? (this one is the least important but what the hell, I'm happy to learn from the pro's)
ryanvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 04:49   Link #11807
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvamp View Post
Are there some good youtube videos about applying dry-decals, water-decals, top coat, matt coat (I don't even know what that means) and sanding ? (this one is the least important but what the hell, I'm happy to learn from the pro's)
Don't think there's many videos that are good. But this one is pretty decent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkjuW...eature=related

Most guides however are just documented rather than video recorded. But if there's anything in particular you want to know about or have problems with. Feel free to ask. I'm don't think of myself as a pro modeller. But I know my fair share.
Old 2009-03-17, 05:54   Link #11808
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Sword Noir Impulse is

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 07:22   Link #11809
Un1ver5e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
Top coat is mainly used for protecting your paint. It lays a thin clear layer on top of your model. It also comes in 3 different finishes depending on ur preference. Matt, Semi gloss and Full gloss. Personally I prefer Matt. Also If you have minor scratches that's not too deep it can cover it up too or at least make it less visible. For those who don't like to paint it makes ur kit give a better less plasticky finish. So to answer ur question. Nothing happens if you don't use it. Just most people do prefer to use it to give a better finish.

Hope that helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
Try it! You'll notice a difference for the better. I think for me the added bonus is that it protects your decals because the top coat layer is on top of it so won't have to worry about it flaking off or what not when handled for posing. But make sure you run like hell and do it outside if you are using topcoat. The spray stinks like hell. I usually have a mask on for spraying and even then I have to run away cos it gives me a down right headache if I just stay there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1ver5e View Post
To add on JayCee's comments on the topcoat:

Matt - Most modellers prefer using matt on their Gunpla. A matt finish removes the shiny plastic sheen on the models which makes them look artificial instead.

Semi gloss - I'm not really a fan of semi-gloss. IMO, the effect it gives is almost the same as the models untouched, with that dumb plastic sheen.

Full gloss - Full gloss is normally used by modellers who want to give their work a metallic finish.

Hope that helps. =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Adding onto what he said:

Matt finish helps to bring out the actual color of the parts. I sprayed my MG strike's shield with matt and the white looks whiter than the rest of the strike. And I think matt topcoats help to reduce fingerprints somewhat if you like playing with your models but don't quote me on this.

There is not much of a difference in semi-gloss. I sprayed some parts of my HGUC Sazabi with that and I was like 'lolwut', couldn't tell much before and after spraying there was a difference though it does help to eliminate the plastic swirling found from the injection process.

Glossy finish if you want your kits to be eye catching since glossy finishes are shiny and all. Though it leaves fingerprints very easily on the surface.
There, copied from the last few pages.
Old 2009-03-17, 07:27   Link #11810
JayCee
Enigma

LOL to think you copied all the previous quotes. Maybe we should make a sticky for the most common gunplay questions that occur
Old 2009-03-17, 07:34   Link #11811
Un1ver5e

You could try your luck with 4Tran

Heh, I can only speak for basic panel lining, sanding and coating. I haven't tried painting my gunpla since my first (and last) paint job on a Strike had 'unexpected' results, much less trying to airbrush.
Old 2009-03-17, 07:44   Link #11812
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1ver5e View Post
You could try your luck with 4Tran

Heh, I can only speak for basic panel lining, sanding and coating. I haven't tried painting my gunpla since my first (and last) paint job on a Strike had 'unexpected' results, much less trying to airbrush.
What do you mean unexpected?

I remember when I had my first accident. I freaked out. Had to use paint stripper and start from scratch again . Funny thing is I haven't airbrushed anything as of yet because I can't afford to buy a compressor and I'm anal about using cans of air for airbrushing work as pressure isn't consistent and really screws up your work. Right now though I'm losing motivation and ideas while waiting for the bits and bobs to come by post for scratch building my new project.
Old 2009-03-17, 08:27   Link #11813
Un1ver5e

Erm...let's just leave it that the white Strike ended up with fingerprints of red and blue. Details are unfortunately too painful to recall. =(

Haha yeah, I totally understand that lack of motivation. My last 2 projects (1/144 Celestial Gundam,1/100 Virtue Armour Purge) were because I wanted to try something new, I wouldn't have built them otherwise. The process is supposed to be more fun than the outsome (it was with my MGs), but for my mods, it was actually more fun playing around with the parts after I complete the individual pieces.
Old 2009-03-17, 11:18   Link #11814
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Heh..my gunpla domain... The pics are dark sorry,huhu..forgot to switch the flash.....

Old 2009-03-17, 11:42   Link #11815
ryanvamp

thanks for all the quoting, Un1verse. But the only thing I didn't know what it was is "matt coat", the other stuff was clear to me. Anyway, I've read it all cause like I said, I'm happy to learn. I've yet to paint my 1st MG, so naturally I want to gather as much info as I can.

I'll try the youtube video that Jaycee posted. GOOD videos are interesting because not only I get to know how to do stuff properly, but also catch a glimpse on a modeller's style and see which order do they follow (i.e, decals/matt coat, stuff like that)
ryanvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 11:51   Link #11816
JayCee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVNEN View Post
Heh..my gunpla domain... The pics are dark sorry,huhu..forgot to switch the flash.....

You need some close up pics of each of them my friend. Distant pictures don't do them justice

Quote:
thanks for all the quoting, Un1verse. But the only thing I didn't know what it was is "matt coat", the other stuff was clear to me. Anyway, I've read it all cause like I said, I'm happy to learn. I've yet to paint my 1st MG, so naturally I want to gather as much info as I can.

I'll try the youtube video that Jaycee posted. GOOD videos are interesting because not only I get to know how to do stuff properly, but also catch a glimpse on a modeller's style and see which order do they follow (i.e, decals/matt coat, stuff like that)
Well I hope you're clear on the matt coating info anyway. If not, more than happy to go in depth for you or anyone else who needs some info. As for order. Well theoretically there is only certain things that you can/would do in different order. I.e you wouldn't do decals after applying matt coat. Kind of neglects the whole point of sealing the decals with the coat. Alternatively though some people have clear coats then apply decal before matt coat finishing etc. Alternate solutions will have to be covered by more in depth tutorials if necessary.
Old 2009-03-17, 17:06   Link #11817
vektar

Send a message via AIM to vektar
I found this vid on youtube awhile back he uses really simple yet highly effective gunpla building tech. For those people who dont know what a primer is or what air brush is this might help a bit.

part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whzbz...eature=related

Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDupRGuPOE
Old 2009-03-17, 18:41   Link #11818
Un1ver5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektar View Post
I found this vid on youtube awhile back he uses really simple yet highly effective gunpla building tech. For those people who dont know what a primer is or what air brush is this might help a bit.

part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whzbz...eature=related

Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDupRGuPOE
That's a pretty nice tutorial. It's mostly on airbrushing though, but I picked up panel washing from it.
Old 2009-03-17, 18:44   Link #11819
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

W00t!

Time to assemble! I intend to make a green Zaku gunner by taking the zaku warrior body and attach Lunamaria suit's Gunner wizard.

And:

Tsuruya-san invades the Gundam universe and steals a beam sword!!!
Old 2009-03-17, 21:55   Link #11820
jackyng222

Where did u get that base for the gold frame? What is that base called? I wanna get a base like that for one of my kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
W00t!

Time to assemble! I intend to make a green Zaku gunner by taking the zaku warrior body and attach Lunamaria suit's Gunner wizard.

And:

Tsuruya-san invades the Gundam universe and steals a beam sword!!!
jackyng222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy