AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-12-06, 21:30   Link #21
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I was thinking, maybe we need a mecha and technology discussion thread so we can discuss all the MS and technology used in the show?
Old 2007-12-07, 00:27   Link #22
monster

If it is made, please make it for a specific calendar (like AD) and not a generic one.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 05:53   Link #23
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Umm, character discussion for each major character? Seeing the Clannad sub-forum has it, I think this should be included, because there are too many posts about characters in other threads(Gundam 00 ep 10 forum has a whole page dedicated to Tieria's sexuality -_-
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 09:46   Link #24
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I feel that character thread for every major character would be an overkill (Depends on what we define as "major" character though). The Clannad comparison does not work because the title is a fully character driven show. That said i have nothing against creating a thread for each of the Gundam meisters, and one thread for all the other characters. Will get to it in a little while.
Old 2007-12-24, 01:25   Link #25
karasuma

'Drilling up' into space for energy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071223/...D1vkYaWEMPLBIF

While great nations fretted over coal, oil and global warming, one of the smallest at the U.N. climate conference was looking toward the heavens for its energy.

The annual meeting's corridors can be a sounding board for unlikely "solutions" to climate change — from filling the skies with soot to block the sun, to cultivating oceans of seaweed to absorb the atmosphere's heat-trapping carbon dioxide.

Unlike other ideas, however, one this year had an influential backer, the Pentagon, which is investigating whether space-based solar power — beaming energy down from satellites — will provide "affordable, clean, safe, reliable, sustainable and expandable energy for mankind."

Tommy Remengesau Jr. is interested, too. "We'd like to look at it," said the president of the tiny western Pacific nation of Palau.

The Defense Department this October quietly issued a 75-page study conducted for its National Security Space Office concluding that space power — collection of energy by vast arrays of solar panels aboard mammoth satellites — offers a potential energy source for global U.S. military operations.

It could be done with today's technology, experts say. But the prohibitive cost of lifting thousands of tons of equipment into space makes it uneconomical.

That's where Palau, a scattering of islands and 20,000 islanders, comes in.

In September, American entrepreneur Kevin Reed proposed at the 58th International Astronautical Congress in Hyderabad, India, that Palau's uninhabited Helen Island would be an ideal spot for a small demonstration project, a 260-foot-diameter "rectifying antenna," or rectenna, to take in 1 megawatt of power transmitted earthward by a satellite orbiting 300 miles above Earth.

That's enough electricity to power 1,000 homes, but on that empty island the project would "be intended to show its safety for everywhere else," Reed said in a telephone interview from California.

Reed said he expects his U.S.-Swiss-German consortium to begin manufacturing the necessary ultralight solar panels within two years, and to attract financial support from manufacturers wanting to show how their technology — launch vehicles, satellites, transmission technology — could make such a system work. He estimates project costs at $800 million and completion as early as 2012.

At the U.N. climate conference here this month, a Reed partner discussed the idea with the Palauans, who Reed said could benefit from beamed-down energy if the project is expanded to populated areas.

"We are keen on alternative energy," Palau's Remengesau said. "And if this is something that can benefit Palau, I'm sure we'd like to look at it."

Space power has been explored since the 1960s by NASA and the Japanese and European space agencies, based on the fundamental fact that solar energy is eight times more powerful in outer space than it is after passing through Earth's atmosphere.

The energy captured by space-based photovoltaic arrays would be converted into microwaves for transmission to Earth, where it would be transformed into direct-current electricity.

Low-orbiting satellites, as proposed for Palau, would pass over once every 90 minutes or so, transmitting power to a rectenna for perhaps five minutes, requiring long-term battery storage or immediate use — for example, in recharging electric automobiles via built-in rectennas.

Most studies have focused instead on geostationary satellites, those whose orbit 22,300 miles above the Earth keeps them over a single location, to which they would transmit a continuous flow of power.

The scale of that vision is enormous: One NASA study visualized solar-panel arrays 3 by 6 miles in size, transmitting power to similarly sized rectennas on Earth.

Each such mega-orbiter might produce 5 gigawatts of power, more than twice the output of a Hoover Dam.

But how safe would those beams be?

Patrick Collins of Japan's Azabu University, who participated in Japanese government studies of space power, said a lower-power beam, because of its breadth, might be no more powerful than the energy emanating from a microwave oven's door. The beams from giant satellites would likely require precautionary no-go zones for aircraft and people on the ground, he said.

Rising oil costs and fears of global warming will lead more people to look seriously at space power, boosters believe.

"The climate change implications are pretty clear. You can get basically unlimited carbon-free power from this," said Mark Hopkins, senior vice president of the National Space Society in Washington.

"You just have to find a way to make it cost-effective."

Advocates say the U.S. and other governments must invest in developing lower-cost space-launch vehicles. "It is imperative that this work for `drilling up' vs. drilling down for energy security begins immediately," concludes October's Pentagon report.

Some seem to hear the call. The European Space Agency has scheduled a conference on space-based solar power for next Feb. 29. Space Island Group, another entrepreneurial U.S. endeavor, reports "very positive" discussions with a European utility and the Indian government about buying future power from satellite systems.

To Robert N. Schock, an expert on future energy with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, space power doesn't look like science fiction.

The panel's 2007 reports didn't address space power's potential, Schock explained, because his team's time horizon didn't extend beyond 2030. But, he said, "I wouldn't be surprised at the beginning of the next century to see significant power utilized on Earth from space — and maybe sooner."

============================================

I thought Gundam 00 is quite far fetch. Look at this news, it is coming..
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 04:48   Link #26
patgarci

Request For Thread: Gundam In Canada

I would like to post up a thread discussing as to why Gundam does a lot better in Canada as suppose to the US or other countries.
patgarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 05:26   Link #27
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
'Drilling up' into space for energy
Can I ask for reason for this post in this thread? Is it meant to be the introductory post to a new thread? I suspect there may be an existing thread where the topic could be discussed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgarci View Post
I would like to post up a thread discussing as to why Gundam does a lot better in Canada as suppose to the US or other countries.
Can I ask that you use the existing Gundam in the US / Canada thread since it seems to be discussing the same topic.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 20:13   Link #28
FireChick

I hope you don't mind but can you make a thread for the Gundam 00 Nintendo DS game? It's been announced on ANN that Gundam 00 and something else are getting Nintendo DS games.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 20:57   Link #29
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I hope you don't mind but can you make a thread for the Gundam 00 Nintendo DS game? It's been announced on ANN that Gundam 00 and something else are getting Nintendo DS games.
It's already being talked about here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...48543&page=105

If i remember correctly, don't we already have a thread dedicated to the Gundam game franchise?
Old 2007-12-27, 06:45   Link #30
FireChick

Oh. Sorry. I'm so stupid!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 20:00   Link #31
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

With all the political talk happening in the episode 12 thread, I'm wondering if it is enough to warrant a thread dedicated to it?

If so, I think a title such as: Politics in the Gundam 00 World could work.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 23:40   Link #32
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
With all the political talk happening in the episode 12 thread, I'm wondering if it is enough to warrant a thread dedicated to it?
There's already one right here.
Old 2008-01-02, 00:48   Link #33
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There's already one right here.
After going through that thread, I got the impression that it's a "who they are and how they got here" discussion instead of nuts and bolts political discussion.

In essence the thread as it is now is dealing with the historical, current and future speculation of the factions, not specifically dealing with how they or any other country is run; so a political thread could still be viable.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 04:15   Link #34
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

We don't need separate threads for separate political issues The already existing one should be fully suitable for the discussion you have in mind.
Old 2008-01-02, 16:08   Link #35
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I wonder if it's too early to have Gundam 30years thread, since it's almost 30years that Gundam came out (1979). Or something like speculation for 30year anniversary thread or something along that line.
Old 2008-01-03, 00:05   Link #36
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
It COULD be cool, but what would we want to talk about in a thread about Gundam's 30 years?

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 15:10   Link #37
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
It COULD be cool, but what would we want to talk about in a thread about Gundam's 30 years?
I don't maybe look at the franchise through out the past, or like I said speculation for the 30years anniversary. Still I think we should have something for 30years celebration for Gundam.
Old 2008-01-04, 15:58   Link #38
Terra

It's not worth until near the end of the year. A topic like that will die pretty fast with still a year to go until it.
Old 2008-01-05, 03:08   Link #39
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Could we get the Episode 13 Thread? I believe the episode has already aired in Japan as of now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 11:18   Link #40
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Best/Favorite Gundam attack/move/abilities thread could be good.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote