AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2019-09-28, 23:49   Link #41
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I just remembered that this show is coming out in Fall...and wow I'm not all that hyped. The first Divers series just lost me as it went along. I don't mind this kind of concept. Fighters in both incarnations was pretty enjoyable. You can definitely make this sort of thing work. Divers just didn't do that.

Be nice if this sequel did something interesting. But I'll just wait for any good word of mouth before checking it out.
Old 2019-09-30, 12:51   Link #42
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Last series was boring and stale, no wonder Sunrise have to release the new season on online. Why couldn't they go back to the previous Built fighters timeline.
Old 2019-10-01, 02:24   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
Last series was boring and stale, no wonder Sunrise have to release the new season on online. Why couldn't they go back to the previous Built fighters timeline.
Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE Anime Also Gets TV Run in Japan
Old 2019-10-09, 06:47   Link #44
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

its Airing tomorrow for those who care. the twitter account post many nice pictures.

Images
countdown picture
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

https://twitter.com/gundambd

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 07:07   Link #45
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Saw the first two episodes, and if I'm being honest it doesn't quite have that spark that a good first showing should have, even if it's mostly decent. The action especially ain't particularly interesting, though Hiroto is at least better than Riku in the first outing due to the use of stuff like Adzam Leaders.

What ReRise has going for it though at the moment is that it tones down the cringe factor on interactions from the previous series, and while the first episode had this strange sense of mystery that something like Break Decals couldn't do, the second episode laying out the whys of the premise is somehow enough to make sure that I watch to the third episode.

Spoiler for Episodes:

Will keep watching for now, and hope it doesn't make me lose interest quickly like GBD did.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2019-10-10 at 07:26.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 07:57   Link #46
Router25
World Connector. I think

Magee's back. Looks like we might have another "Where's Patrick?" game in this series.
Old 2019-10-10, 08:46   Link #47
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I like, tolerable character and interesting world-building. the action seems lacking for now but i can see that they start slow then ramp up after this.

The music also improved compare to S1

Also, i found it very cute to see small Core gundam beating up the enemy boss like that

Old 2019-10-10, 08:51   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just saw the first two episodes and I gotta say that I really like it so far. Also, it really feels like Xebec's mecha anime with a somewhat "cold" no-nonsense execution (for Build standard), a brewing mystery & diving deeper into the character's psyche/memory. As expected of the former-Xebec studio.

This series (I'll call it RR from now on) not only feels better than GBD (so far), but also expands the things that previously exist in GBD as an afterthought (eg. Lotus Challenge) and actually make a really good use of it as a mission training/drill/trial. Speaking of the mission drill, I really like it that the protag team who were formed hastily performed realy badly during the training considering the hodge-podge of individuals who are now have to work together with no chemistry whatsoever. It definitely feels much more natural than the protag-team in GBD. Still, I gotta say that I don't really like the big-guy member coz aside from being noisy, he seems to be all-talk and no skill (at least not to the level that he's boasting about). I really hope his character develops into a better person/player fast.

Also, please tell me that I'm not the only one who feel it but, this is basically a Gundam Isekai, right?

I mean, the protag group is basically transported to a mysterious land where the NPCs have their own free will & their lives actually matter (and they don't know any Gundams). And (I assume later on) Hiro & co won't be able to treat the NPCs like expendable properties anymore especially after we saw the supposed tragedy in his flashback. Even their summoning is irregular like being isekai'd.

I also like the pacing of the first two episodes. Things just keep happening and it gets the plot going and the momentum rolling without much meandering. Like I said, no-nonsense and keep going forward. Here's hoping they don't drop the ball later on like GBD.

The opening mecha battles in episode 1 is nice. And damn, I really like that Hiro is already prepared with (six?) different loadouts for Core Gundam. As expected of a "VRMMO mercenary" . Speaking of mecha, isn't the Wadom supposed to be bigger than what May is piloting?:

Or maybe it's just me?
Old 2019-10-10, 09:10   Link #49
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Also, please tell me that I'm not the only one who feel it but, this is basically a Gundam Isekai, right?

I mean, the protag group is basically transported to a mysterious land where the NPCs have their own free will & their lives actually matter (and they don't know any Gundams). And (I assume later on) Hiro & co won't be able to treat the NPCs like expendable properties anymore especially after we saw the supposed tragedy in his flashback. Even their summoning is irregular like being isekai'd.

The opening mecha battles in episode 1 is nice. And damn, I really like that Hiro is already prepared with (six?) different loadouts for Core Gundam. As expected of a "VRMMO mercenary" . Speaking of mecha, isn't the Wadom supposed to be bigger than what May is piloting?:

Or maybe it's just me?
My speculation is that they transferred to beta server where AI like all NPC is advance AI like Sarah. GBN probably want to create a realistic world with living population simulation in that server.

and yeah, Wadom pod is much smaller to Wadom

Old 2019-10-10, 11:30   Link #50
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Dropping in to say I already feel bad for Hinata, on the other hand I like the mystery aspect of the story so far, it"s got me on the hook, I really want to know why this guy feels what he feels about the Build Divers
Old 2019-10-10, 12:08   Link #51
Tenzen12

-That was pretty decent, though I really feel like digital loli will ruin it as unlike normal Gundams, Gunpla series doesn't have habit killim them.
-MC is basically Heero/Setsuna/Mikazuki huh. It might just work.
- May seems pretty cool (especially as MS she uses is pretty much completelly opposite of cute units like SD or BearGuy), It would be nice if she had some significance plotwise. Though I wonder if have two stoic lonewolf main characters will work without too much overlap.
Old 2019-10-10, 16:40   Link #52
Wandering Soul

I liked it. The characters seemed alright, the worldbuilding looks potentially interesting, and even the music+action seems good. So far I'm optimistic about this.
Old 2019-10-10, 18:06   Link #53
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The only thing I liked was that the MC this time is experienced and isn't a kid.

The rest felt like typical Build Divers with a pinch of pseudo-isekai added in, resulting in something really bad. One of the characters even commented the quest doesn't feel like Gundam at all, and indeed it doesn't. I don't think this will result in anything good, so I'll stop now and just check reactions from time to time. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll watch it after it ends.
Old 2019-10-10, 18:08   Link #54
Jarly

Quote:
Yeah, thought the same thing. I also noticed that divers couldn't use mecha teleportation in that area. And after all, why not? GBF has already had some sort of parallel worlds.
By the way, writing seems much more competent for this season. With more natural dialogues and more likeable characters.
And some good mystery from the beginning too.
Really enjoyed it so far.
Jarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-11, 00:56   Link #55
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Good review:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarly View Post
By the way, writing seems much more competent for this season. With more natural dialogues and more likeable characters.
And some good mystery from the beginning too.
Really enjoyed it so far.
Yeah, you can really feel the difference, as they replaced the dude who wrote GBD with the dude who wrote Bible Bla....I mean Gundam Unicorn!
Old 2019-10-12, 01:45   Link #56
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I just watched the first episode of GBD ReRISE and I am thoroughly impressed. The MC is good, the "Hero" is not too bad, the girl is also good, and the young kid is not a super pushover.

Animation was great, especially when MC launched the massive beam cannon and we get the "cannon's eye view" as it approached its target.

Thankfully, we don't need the long introduction of what Gunpla Battle is since we already know, so the condensed version was adequate. I'm interested in the childhood friend (who obviously has a crush on MC), and seeing how their relationship develops.

Personal connection observation: carrying a Gunpla around in that pouch reminded me of Yugioh where duelists carried their decks everywhere (especially Yugi), just so they can duel/battle wherever and whenever they felt like it.

9/10 for me for episode 1.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-12, 12:18   Link #57
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Its a mixed up experience for me.

A part of me wanted to say, "Woah, nice" but another part of me, "Remember last time you watched Build Divers?"
Also VRMMO with AI live and having free will aside of Mikazuki expy MC somehow ring my head "Brace yourself, Gundam Alicization plot is coming".

Good transformation scene, good detail of animation but it didn't manage to keep me stay like GBF and GBFT, just like previous Build Divers. 7/10 from me.
Sorry Sunrise but SAO "Isekai Arc" first episode IMO delivered better than this; honorary mention to YGO Vrains being low-key good example of how to handle franchise under VRMMO theme, even under production issue.

Not sure if I should take 'less explanation' part as "We're good, no need to explain it anymore" or "At least people remember online game part from previous season". I kinda get impression the staffs (or at least the writer) wanted a reset, under new title, but circumstances said the title have to be Build Divers.

Old 2019-10-13, 11:10   Link #58
Chosen_Hero

Quote:

I agree, better yet, I personally feel like instead of having being a sequel to GBD this would have worked far better if it actually was a Isekai story. In part I say this because to me the whole "VRMMO" setting in these kinds of shows just doesn't make any damn sense once you put some thought into the technology and how it works (to be fair this also applies to how Mobile Suits are piloted in the first place so it's not exactly a new nitpick of mine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
-That was pretty decent, though I really feel like digital loli will ruin it as unlike normal Gundams, Gunpla series doesn't have habit killim them.
-MC is basically Heero/Setsuna/Mikazuki huh. It might just work.
- May seems pretty cool (especially as MS she uses is pretty much completelly opposite of cute units like SD or BearGuy), It would be nice if she had some significance plotwise. Though I wonder if have two stoic lonewolf main characters will work without too much overlap.
Yeah, the digital loli thing is the one thing that has the most potential to ruin the show once again, especially when she inevitably joins them and everyone (especially the MC) starts to obsess over her. The sad part is that if it hadn't been a loli it would have been some sort of princess because for some reason monarchy's are all the rage in the future, at least according to Japan.
Old 2019-10-13, 12:31   Link #59
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I agree, better yet, I personally feel like instead of having being a sequel to GBD this would have worked far better if it actually was a Isekai story. In part I say this because to me the whole "VRMMO" setting in these kinds of shows just doesn't make any damn sense once you put some thought into the technology and how it works (to be fair this also applies to how Mobile Suits are piloted in the first place so it's not exactly a new nitpick of mine).
I personally disagree on this, mainly because there's a particular vibe in this series that I think has the potential to be explored in more depth if they pursue it: namely, the mentality of the divers versus the NPD's. It's clear that both parties regard the situation within the campaign completely differently, i.e. the NPD's treat this as a life or death situation that threatens their livelihoods, whereas the divers only take the situation seriously as far as it being a mission in the story chain is.

This is best shown by their treatment of the battle simulation, where most of the team are pretty much satisfied by having accomplished the objective of "defending" the town by virtue of there being a sliver of HP left on the objective. Yet, if you look at it from the NPD's perspective, such a "victory" would pretty much be pointless as the town would've been destroyed with massive casualties. It's only really Hiroto who's dissatisfied with the results, mainly due to his past experience with his mysterious girl.

The fact that we can't even blame the divers for thinking this way since it really actually is a game is something that I feel wouldn't work that well if this really was an actual isekai.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-13, 16:02   Link #60
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I personally disagree on this, mainly because there's a particular vibe in this series that I think has the potential to be explored in more depth if they pursue it: namely, the mentality of the divers versus the NPD's. It's clear that both parties regard the situation within the campaign completely differently, i.e. the NPD's treat this as a life or death situation that threatens their livelihoods, whereas the divers only take the situation seriously as far as it being a mission in the story chain is.

This is best shown by their treatment of the battle simulation, where most of the team are pretty much satisfied by having accomplished the objective of "defending" the town by virtue of there being a sliver of HP left on the objective. Yet, if you look at it from the NPD's perspective, such a "victory" would pretty much be pointless as the town would've been destroyed with massive casualties. It's only really Hiroto who's dissatisfied with the results, mainly due to his past experience with his mysterious girl.

The fact that we can't even blame the divers for thinking this way since it really actually is a game is something that I feel wouldn't work that well if this really was an actual isekai.
But that would be explored even better in a proper Isekai setting, just do something similar to Log Horizon where there is a clear difference between the people that come from the real world and those in the new world. Just have them be transported into a world similar to the game and have them think it is and treat it like the game due to their status as "Builders" making them sort of demigods. Then have them explore the concept of life and death when it comes to the NPD's and their livelihood, this way there is more levity to the situations and us the viewers and the characters themselves can actually feel the consequences of their actions without it feeling fake due to the NPD's just being computer programs.