Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 10:10   Link #1021
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I'm pretty sure Code Geass was more popular than Gundam X and Turn A Gundam and maybe G. TBH I think it's more impressive Geass sells 40k per dvd volume with tv ratings of 1.5-2 than Destiny avg 60-65k with ratings of 5-7.
Well, for one, SEED and GSD had the doroku evening time-slot, those ratings are only a given compared to CG's late-night timeslot. How many people are awake at 5/6 in the evening compared to late-night/early mornings anyway? And SEED/Destiny is more popular than Geass, and Bandai/Sunrise had made clear indications from interviews they're hoping this new one will be as popular as SEED in its own way...Huge wall to scale there.

But that's beside the point. The point it..It's GUNDAM. Regardless whether or not it'll be popular or not, you can expect them to chunk out their best for Gundam, publicity-wise, time-slot wise...everything. Because it's GUNDAM. They want Gundam to generate more hype than an already-popular series...because...it's Gundam. That's really all there is to it.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 10:49   Link #1022
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Code Geass was more popular than Gundam X and Turn A Gundam and maybe G. TBH I think it's more impressive Geass sells 40k per dvd volume with tv ratings of 1.5-2 than Destiny avg 60-65k with ratings of 5-7.
we are talking about Gundam here... Gundam doesn't follow rules of normal anime.
It always sell well even if the story is bad, there are a huge fan base outthere who will see anything that has a word "Gundam" on it and counting their every second until they see their favorite's Zaku on screen.
More over, its cash cow is not at dvd its also the model. I am sure gundam model sell more than 10x of Knightmare model from geass.
(damit, I hate Gundam)
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 18:00   Link #1023
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Oh, no way.
Do you have any idea how much toys are sold in Japan of Gundam?
Yes, even X, Turn A, and G?

You're absolutely nuts if you're to suggest merchandise of Code Geass outsold them.
DVD sales you say? DVD sales don't even make up 10% of the evening slot anime franchise revenue.
Adults buy more DVDs than children. Children tends to spend their money in other toys and games. Try to remember when you were a kid.
What you're saying, is like saying

"Oh, Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD sells more than the Spider-man cartoon DVD. ATHF must be more popular than Spiderman!"
When in fact, most of Spider-man franchise generates money from licensed toys and merchandise, not the actual DVD sales.

Do you see kids hyping over plastic models of Code Geass?
Do you see kids playing video games of Code Geass?
Do you see kids mashing Code Geass toys with eacher other in the playgrounds?
Do you see kids buying candies with Code Geass toys in it?
Do you see kids buying cookies and bubblegums with Code Geass stickers inside?

Children's market >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Otaku market
There's no comparison, no question, nada. NO robot shows compete with Gundam in franchise revenue.
Only thing that comes close is the Yuusha series in the 90s.
During the 80s, there were much more competition, but it all faded away during the 90s.

If you don't know how it is in Japan, only impression you might get is from the otaku reactions in forums like Animesuki.
However, these forums and otaku opinion does not reflect actual Japanese market.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-07-22 at 18:30.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 03:53   Link #1024
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Your last 2 points probably happened with the Pizza Hut Code Geass kids meal and the video game will happen with the release of Code Geass on the DS.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 04:10   Link #1025
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Your last 2 points probably happened with the Pizza Hut Code Geass kids meal and the video game will happen with the release of Code Geass on the DS.
....I don't know what to say to convince you man.
Code Geass is not more popular than Gundam, and does not generate even CLOSE to what Gundam franchise generates.
And yes, that includes even the "lesser popular Gundam TV series" such as Turn A.
This is a fact. Not an opinion.

Code Geass is not aimed for children, never was, and does not have "kids meal" associated with it.
Only thing that even comes close is Pizza Hut having Code Geass campaign box printings.
The franchise revenue does not come even close, not even in the same digits of profit, of what Gundam generates.

Read my post again, about the Spider-man and ATHF.
Please, at least try to understand why that comparison was made...

Japan that exists in your head is most definitly NOT the same Japan that I've lived in half my entire life.
Old 2007-07-23, 11:55   Link #1026
The-Ghost
anime lurker

woot 5 days and counting till 24&25 air, i dont know about you guys but i cant wait
Old 2007-07-23, 13:55   Link #1027
RecurringNightmare
The Darkness In Your Mind

Send a message via MSN to RecurringNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Ghost View Post
woot 5 days and counting till 24&25 air, i dont know about you guys but i cant wait
I'm feeling pretty anxious myself. After all this time, it's finally almost here... I'm gonna feel like a 6yr old on Christmas when I finally have those episodes.
RecurringNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 23:40   Link #1028
The-Ghost
anime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecurringNightmare View Post
I'm feeling pretty anxious myself. After all this time, it's finally almost here... I'm gonna feel like a 6yr old on Christmas when I finally have those episodes.
Spoiler for previouscount:

EDIT: didn't want to double post

AND ITS AIRED

sorry was out of town

Last edited by The-Ghost; 2007-07-30 at 13:39.
The-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 02:29   Link #1029
Warrior00

After watching 24&25.....I dont know about u guys, but right now I am speechless.......
Warrior00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 02:32   Link #1030
RecurringNightmare
The Darkness In Your Mind

Send a message via MSN to RecurringNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior00 View Post
After watching 24&25.....I dont know about u guys, but right now I am speechless.......
I wasn't speechless: a string of 'four letter words' came out of my mouth when I noticed how little they were going to resolve in the first season.

Anyway, it was still awesome. Anyone feel like guessing when season 2 is gonna hit? I'm hoping this Fall! (But I'm not gettin my hopes up. :/)
RecurringNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 05:08   Link #1031
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
It's stated for a October thing, thats the rumor circulating around at least for something to be told....

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 17:44   Link #1032
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecurringNightmare View Post
Anyway, it was still awesome. Anyone feel like guessing when season 2 is gonna hit? I'm hoping this Fall! (But I'm not gettin my hopes up. :/)
Well, back when Code Geass was about to switch its theme songs to the 2nd OP & ED, there was that television station rumor that Geass was airing two cours (cour = 13 weeks) in the Fall and Winter of 2006-07, with the remaining two cours airing in the Fall and Winter of 2007-08.

Obviously, it's still only a rumor, but I remember that a source from a television station also revealed that Toward the Terra was replacing Ayakashi Ayashi because of bad ratings. So it makes me wonder if television station rumors are more accurate than the other sources that give out rumors.

Considering that the staff for Geass created two recap episodes because they needed more time to create the real new episodes, it makes me wonder if they haven't announced Geass for Fall '07 because they're not sure if they're far enough into the production of the second season to be certain. For instance, if they're not ready yet, MBS might put something else to replace Darker Than BLACK while Geass airs in Spring 2008. But it is ready, it will be announced for Fall sometime in the near future.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 21:06   Link #1033
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
code Geass Will Continue........

Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 21:54   Link #1034
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafri View Post

What makes you say that?
Old 2007-07-30, 21:57   Link #1035
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafri View Post

put the facts right before you say anything. PROVE IT
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 23:48   Link #1036
Jeffry2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
put the facts right before you say anything. PROVE IT
nah, only kidding, guys. i just afraid they won't aired S2 this fall due the new gundam series called 00 to avoid some serious rivalries and controversies between both shows. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 2007-07-31, 00:47   Link #1037
Jeffry2009
Banned

*feels the stake of shock & depressed after i watched 24 & 25* i really sorry guys, i was shocked and the show goes........

The Bitter End.....

well, I don't know what to say guys. what are your final thoughts of 24 & 25? how was it feel? *speechless*

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2007-07-31 at 02:47. Reason: correction..
Old 2007-07-31, 07:31   Link #1038
Echoes

After watching episode 24 and 25, I'm considering starting some organized "hate Suzaku" faction. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly dislike him more than I already did.

Spoiler for episode 24/25 spoilers:
Old 2007-08-01, 15:49   Link #1039
Ky-66
Nuclear Trance

Quote:
Code Geass is not more popular than Gundam, and does not generate even CLOSE to what Gundam franchise generates.
true enough, but somehow code geass still has better production values then GS and GSD and a better story to boot. Plus its gained some awards and lulu beat kira in (according to my understanding) a few popularity polls. Not that I didnt enjoy gundam seed by any means...

Quote:
I dont give a **** what the kids are buying what I really want now is geass contact lenses!

at the very least every 50 dollar order of pizza from pizza hut should come with a free zero mask! lol
Ky-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 21:24   Link #1040
Berienzeltch

eh... Code Geass doesnt get a much hype cuz not many people know about it... i asked some friends of mine who are all crazy and what not for anime - like 10 times more than me if they watch Code geass - they said naw - then i put my dizz face on
Berienzeltch is offline   Reply With Quote