AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-02, 20:33   Link #101
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I didn't think it was possible to screw this up.

I was wrong...

All I can say is that I'm relieved I played the games first. While it's loyal to the content, the visuals are very weak, the voice acting doesn't match the characters properly and the music used here is utterly inferior to the original's music.
Old 2016-04-02, 21:50   Link #102
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It feels a bit like watching someone play. Which isn't the best approach, but not the worst either, I guess.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 22:18   Link #103
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening

i regret that i played the game on the first place.

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck
LowCholesterol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 22:41   Link #104
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Really bad imo.
If you played the games already, it provides nothing.
Exact same dialogue, same scenes, seemingly the same level of animation as well lol.

If you never, its not a very exciting anime.

And imagine not taking advantage of the game's memorable music and only saving it for the end, leaving the rest with the blandest generic background music ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I didn't think it was possible to screw this up.

I was wrong...

All I can say is that I'm relieved I played the games first. While it's loyal to the content, the visuals are very weak, the voice acting doesn't match the characters properly and the music used here is utterly inferior to the original's music.
I strongly agree with these two posts.

Episode 1 is an amazingly lazy adaptation. They bring absolutely nothing to the table that the game itself doesn't provide. No added characterization, no pretty polished anime visuals, no attempt to make the game's narrative fit within a true-to-life setting. This adaptation so far actually makes the Danganronpa anime look bold and highly creative by comparison.

Episode 1 felt ridiculously artificial. I don't know how an anime-only viewer could take it seriously at all.

Maybe it'll get better in Episode 2, but this is a really bad start, imo.
Old 2016-04-02, 22:53   Link #105
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

If Phoenix could shout "Disappointment!", he just might.

I had a bad feeling that an anime based around a game where the core feeling of satisfaction comes from solving crimes on your own accord would be a bad idea, but it was even worse than I thought. I was hoping that A-1 would put some more effort into this.

Aside from the animations feeling super cheap and the soundtrack being nowhere near as good as the games, the pacing is awful. They literally present the case, and before any sort of conflict can set in, they've already sorted out the contradictions and caught the murderer. I know it's an adaptation of "The First Turnabout", but it was still poorly thought out.

I sincerely hope it gets better. For now, it's better this never existed in the first place.
Old 2016-04-02, 23:15   Link #106
Mister Twit

I wasn't disappointed but that's only because this is exactly as bad as I was expecting it to be.

Adaptations with story-heavy source material are rarely going to surprise you if you're familiar with the original. And as for the quality, I still remember Judge End. I know what Capcom considers "good enough" for anime.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 23:47   Link #107
Arin11

I have to say I am disappointed with this first episode. Who is the director anyway?

Also, I might really drop this if ep 2 and 3 would be the same as ep 1.
Arin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 23:51   Link #108
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Meh, the one thing that I really loved about the series is the wackiness of the cast in general and that at least seemed to have made it across fine. The overall story is faithful at least, it's not like the original had great music across the board anyways and visuals never made or broke anything for me ever.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 00:09   Link #109
Random14

Yeah, that was... pretty bad. Not a surprise, after what we've seen of the previews, and considering the average quality of anime adaptations of video games, but even by those standards, this is bad. Off-hand I can only think of Neptunia being slightly good, mainly because it was aiming for ridiculous and parody, and it worked.

A straight adaptation of the first case, but that first case is pretty easy, as it is intended to be a tutorial in game, but makes for a boring intro episode. Doesn't help that Larry is always annoying, but the whole episode looked like a low quality flash animation. Compared to the relatively recent AA5 game, this is horrible looking.

Voices are ok, and they had to adapt everyone looking at evidence somehow, but if I wasn't already an AA fan, this sure wouldn't interest me at all.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 01:07   Link #110
Yamada II

Episode 1
First of all, this looks like some low budget neko. Seriously, A-1 should have made this at least look good. The artwork is so low quality. And this is an anime adaptation of a popular game franchise here. I expected A-1 to at least give this some better visuals.

Obvious crappie visuals aside, it didn't feel like they were dealing with a murder case with all the mostly failed jokes flying around. I would have preferred if they had kept a more serious atmosphere throughout, or at least till the end of the case solving part – you should be serious here because you're dealing with a murder case, which is not something to be taken lightly.

Naruhodo feels like a kid on his first day of school rather than a man on his first day of work as an attorney. They should have at least had him hold his bag in his hand. What grown up wears his bag like that?

The case solving part was okay I guess. It was all ruined by the half-baked visuals and completely unnecessary comedy they added.

This was not a good first impression at all. I'll give it a few more episodes in hopes that they put their act together and get a bit serious. Maybe then the crappie visuals could be overlooked.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 02:15   Link #111
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Oh boy.
This wasn't anime, it was just the gameboy game tutorial chapter with voice over.
Old 2016-04-03, 03:57   Link #112
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Like many others here, I have played the games first (and was absolutely amazed with how much I liked them), but I'm not going to get into any nitty gritty with this adaption, except for one thing....

Hearing Hyoudou Issei be a lawyer is very amusing to me, and I just can't seem to stop myself from laughing whenever Phoenix talks (yes, I avoided any and all previews for this anime adaption )
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 07:18   Link #113
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't think the animation studio is responsible for their own budget. They gotta work with what they have. Since we know A-1 can do better I don't think it's fair to put the blame solely on them.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 08:29   Link #114
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Oh boy.
This wasn't anime, it was just the gameboy game tutorial chapter with voice over.
That reminds me... damned if they do, damned if they don't.

"This one scene was changed, how dare they waaaah! *cries* "

"They should have changed this scene because it doesn't translate well into anime... waaaah! *cries* "

Am I the only one who is glad they removed that wig throwing scene in the anime, because that scene was NOT funny in the game and instead simply idiotic? Or are the nostalgia-tainted glasses too strong? Or was that some late April 1st joke?
Old 2016-04-03, 10:44   Link #115
Iron Maw
Banned

ep1

Um... that was a really awkward first episode.

I only have a passing familiarity with the games (only watched some vids of the first 2 games on Youtube), but even that was enough tell how dry this adaptation was. Everything from production from it's values to the script was delivered and presented in most dull and minimalist way possible. I can't think any real positives of this episode other than ED and some of the character designs nor do I feel like watching the next one. =/

Maybe if this was a slower season and I didn't have much to watch, I'm might have been more willingly wait another episode, but it's way too stacked to air a weak premier like this.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 18:53   Link #116
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

This was so simplistic and one-note, it was actually kind of refreshing...

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 19:17   Link #117
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I didn't like it. It's like if you could take "being faithful to the source", squeeze it so only the negatives are left and use that as a blueprint for an anime adaptation. Watching a let's play with commentary of someone playing would be just as amusing if not more so, IMO.

It does motivate me to go and finish the games. So if nothing else its an expensive advert.
Old 2016-04-04, 19:54   Link #118
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
This anime makes me hate the fact that I played all the games and know how everything turns out, lol
I'm in the same boat. Hard to get into the anime, simply because I know the source. This one is of no exception.

That's why I can't trust someone's rants about how an anime adaptation is bad compared to its source, because I know for a fact that if it was ME who knew the source, I'd be equally critical of every tiny detail of the show. So I started to avoid anything that reeks of anime source material, but sadly Ace Attorney was released over a decade ago (released a year before I made this vow to avoid source material). Couldn't avoid this one; heck, I'm actually surprised it even got an adaptation as its been ages since the original release, and over two years since its latest port.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 21:03   Link #119
GDB

I could probably stand this if the subbed names weren't so vastly different from the Japanese names, but the audio vs visual difference pulls me out of it every time a name is said.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 21:13   Link #120
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well watched it and it seems to be ok but it dose seem like the cops do a crap job

Tags
comedy, courtroom