AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-03-12, 14:45   Link #21
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Oh no, Nana's your average seiyuu all right. I don't think she's great, but I don't think she's terrible. Most seiyuu [back then] had some sort of standard. Today, it's slowly changing and you can tell when seiyuu have to be concerned about their appearances.

Any novice, you say? Yes, I would have loved to hear someone as shaky as Omigawa Chiaki. Not too impressed with Kotobuki Minako, but she's young and new. Itou Shizuka wasn't that great to begin with either and now look at her.

o jeez, it sounds like I'm defending Nana in voice acting, of all things.Not going to take the bait. I will say one thing: Yukarin's ad-libs are awesome.

If I really wanted to be mean, I'd say everyone sounded generic. How do you set apart the real pros from one another in terms of acting? I'm sure most people I know would go with timbre and the characters they've voiced over the actual acting, lol. Which is why I'll be bitter about Miyukichi wi- Seiyuu awards are rigged, nevermind.

animegoe = アニメ声 = mean way to talk about high-pitch, kiddy voices.Because otaku and fan girls are the only people that actually buy things, so Oricon sales in general are bad. Plus, KR is learning when to release her stuff to help with reaching #1. But let's not talk much about her smashing seiyuu singing records.2004~2006, Yukarin had a majority of the better roles. 2007 was nearly equal for them. 2008~2009 is definitely in Hocchan's favour.Yamato Nadeshiko.... more famous for their not singing. Naked hotel ramps, calling each other by first name without honorifics (ryI was talking about the radio one. orz

Yeah, the whole thing is cool. I love how they have that microphone effect for Yukarin in each event. These were an hour or two long, so no wonder we only got to see clips. ^^;Fcuk yeah, Togame. Ep 03 didn't have a lot of her, but it was still ffffffff hair.

Jeebus wiggly, trying to post while watching blu-rays takes way longer and lag and arghhhh. orz
I agree that Nana Mizuki has no character vocal range. She just has a sexy voice.

As for vocal range, I'm with Tamamura Yukari. She can voice characters, but also reflect the ages of the the character in her voice. They are all squeaky sounding, but done quite well. I enjoy her in all her roles, but for talent and vocal range I'd have to go off topic and recommend Rie Tanaka :P

Nana Mizuki is almost type casted what with Nanoha franchise and Shugo Chara backingit up. If she plays any character other than a blonde (and she has) it's weird. Like in Rail gun.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 15:29   Link #22
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Tamura can be scary at time. Like Gokujou Seitokai. I told myself when I was watching it that if Nanoha had the same screech I'd be ditching it, Donna Burke or not. Otherwise Yukarin uses almost the same formula for a good 90% of her roles.

As for Mizuki, I should point out that most level headed, non-OMGISSAFATE!fanboys seiyuu appreciators would tell you that Kirihara Misaki was perhaps, and probably continue to be(seeing as how she devotes more time to selling herself shamelesslygoing mainstream and cutting down on the acting) her best piece of acting dished out yet, rather than vulnerable-moe-little-thing-that-any-and-every-seiyuu-of-any-time-were-trained-to-voice. So for those who really look at seiyuu performances rather than idolistic shenanigans, THAT would be the kind of role to remember Mizuki by rather than all the FEITO-CHANNNNNNN and saimoe BS.

Also, I apologise if i'm too grating on Mizuki. I'm a recovering fanboy. The Nana Anonymous support group says it's ok to bash her all i want if i have to - there're enough fanboys to defend her chastity anyway. Thinking back, isn't that just like how the number of NanoFate fapboys on FFN bashes anything and everything that shows signs of Yuunoha in any fic in the reviews? But then again this is the VA discussion thread so let's not go there.

And whoever said that stuff to LVD(i'm assuming it was through a de-rep, since he didn't just address it through a similar derep or PM or VM but here instead), you have a comrade here in me when it comes to the Nanahaet. Please PM me and we can both bitch about it like a pair of 13 year olds.
Old 2010-03-12, 15:41   Link #23
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I'll just say that I liked more Nana Mizuki as Minami Touma from Minami-ke and Misaki from DtB than as Fate.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 16:37   Link #24
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Nana Mizuki is almost type casted what with Nanoha franchise and Shugo Chara backingit up. If she plays any character other than a blonde (and she has) it's weird. Like in Rail gun.
Nana doesn't have a role in Railgun. I'll agree that she was great in Darker than Black, though.

I like Yukari's voice, but she's mostly just a two trick pony. She's either super cutesy (like Rika from Higurashi), or super dark and brooding (like... Rika from Higurashi ). I'd basically point to Rika and say "Yeah, Yukari Tamura's roles are mostly either one of those extremes." I'd like to hear her in more 'normal' adult roles. Kinda like Midori from My HiME, but Midori still liked switching to a cutesy voice. My absolute favourite role of her's is actually a bit part on Gintama. She plays a news reporter and I love how normal her voice sounds. Episode 64, where she spends the day with Katsura is by far my favourite episode of the series.

If one wants to talk greatness, then Kana Ueda is the woman to look at. She's my absolute favourite voice actress in the industry (Toshihiko Seki is her male counterpart). Her voice is incredibly sexy, especially with her accent. That's probably the most notable thing: she can turn her accent on and off at will. That just can't be that easy to do! She can also do anything from super cheerful girls, to shy girls, to evil girls, and to stoic girls.

Notable roles are, of course, Hayate, but everything she does is great. Rin from FSN is certainly one of her more famous roles, but she was Kohaku in the Tsukihime anime too (yes, it exists). I even rewatched the series subbed (I prefer dubs) just to hear Kana in it. She got to be hot blooded as Tsubaki in Koutetsushin Jeeg, she got to be Koyasu's whipping girl as Yako in Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro, she got to flex her mahjong muscles as the titicular Saki and currently she's busty Konori-sempai in Railgun.

I absolutely adore and am totally hot for her as Sakuya in Hayate no Gotoku but her absolute hottest role so far was Suzuka Kureha in TOKKO. Everything about this chick was hot, and Kana being the source of that sexy, playfully flirtatious voice made it all the sweeter. Man, I can't wait for future volumes of the Aki Sora OAD. Hearing Kana during one of Nami's sex scenes will be positively orgasmic.

To put another feather in her cap, I was absolutely stunned to learn she voices Yori in Vampire Knight. I went back, rewatched her scenes so many times, straining my ears trying to recognise her voice, but I just couldn't do it! Yori is so quiet and deadpan that it doesn't sound like Kana at all! That's a mark of a great voice actress when she can change her voice so much you can't even tell it's her anymore.
Old 2010-03-12, 17:54   Link #25
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

I srsly wonder how many de-reps this thread can give me, but anyway. Just wondering how you guys rate seiyuu. I'm going to assume we know a decent amount of moon language because language barrier (ry

For me;
1) Delivery - Is it monotonous [when it shouldn't be because lol Yuki.n]? Is there emotion? Intonation?
Examples:
Good delivery - ffff, most seiyuu are at an acceptable level that it's easier to pick out the wooden ones, lol. CHIHARA MINORI AS TOUKA, WOO.
Bad delivery - Omigawa Chiaki as Maka in Soul Eater. My god, just no.

2) Consistency - Uh, self-explanatory.
Examples:
Good - plz see delivery good example.
Bad - Omigawa Chiaki in Soul Eater Yuuki Aoi. Amazing in Kurenai, okay in Sora no Oto [monotonous characters are apparently difficult to voice depending on the character of the person voicing them - iirc, Minorin's most difficult role is Yuki and Minorin is a bubbly airhead], not convincing enough half the time in Dance in the Vampire Bund.

3) Ad-libs - "At one's pleasure." Basically, in the script, it'll just say "insert laughing here" or something like that and it's up to the seiyuu to come up with the appropriate sound(s).
Examples:
Good - omg, Kugyuu in Kemeko DX was wwwwww
Bad - Nana. Nana, Nana, Mizuki Nana. Her ad-libs seem either too forced [think Alicia going Mama daisuki~ for a Movie CM] or too textbook normal stuff.

4) Well, I don't look at this, but a friend does - "Suitability for the role". To me, this is just bad hiring on the sound director's part. Yeahhhh, not all seiyuu can be all-around like Miyukichi and Kugyuu, but that doesn't mean they still can't act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
I agree that Nana Mizuki has no character vocal range. She just has a sexy voice.
Nah, Noto Mamiko has no vocal range. Nana has a decent range, it's just we rarely get to hear it. Heck, I want to hear more yandere Nana.

Mamio is still the better actor. It just kind of sucks that she can't do a lot more roles than she should be able to because of her voice. inb4 I'm type-casting teh Great Mamio. Ugh, total cringe hearing her in SeitoKai.
Quote:
As for vocal range, I'm with Tamamura Yukari. She can voice characters, but also reflect the ages of the the character in her voice. They are all squeaky sounding, but done quite well. I enjoy her in all her roles, but for talent and vocal range I'd have to go off topic and recommend Rie Tanaka :P
Tamamura? Tamura. Think of the masks. w

>> squeaky sounding
- wut. Bernkastel and her chara from SoraKake don't really sound squeaky to me, unless you mean her nasally voice.

If you want squeaky, I can give you squeaky. Ugh, too lazy to look through previous eps of Himitsu no Kobeya for usagi thing.

And for more off-topic:
Talent and vocal range would have to go to Sawashiro Miyuki for me. And she'll just keep getting better - she's turning 25 this year. Kugyuu, Mizuhacchi, and KitaEri are up up as well - most big name seiyuu have some sort of talent, but these four girls are way up there for range.

But RieRie is still awsm. She needs more psycho characters. I hated her in AkaneEro, but I seem to hate animegoe in general, soooooo~

[SIZE="1"]Unless you mean talented as in can do a variety of things, since RieRie is pretty crazy famous outside of voice acting. I'd give most talented to HALKO or Iwao Junko, where have you gone? :<
Quote:
Actually, she was called the ninja seiyuu and most people would know her from Naruto - when her stuff was hitting the charts a few years ago, which was an even bigger "wtf" because she's a seiyuu and all, the few TV shows that would talk about her always mentioned Hinata. After kouhaku, the movie OP single hitting #1 and then the movie coming out, some will think of Fate. And then there's Shugo Chara and HeartCatch. orz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Tamura can be scary at time. Like Gokujou Seitokai. I told myself when I was watching it that if Nanoha had the same screech I'd be ditching it, Donna Burke or not. Otherwise Yukarin uses almost the same formula for a good 90% of her roles.
Yeah, no denying that she is more famous for her loli, animegoe roles. But maybe I'm one of the few people who hears the slight difference in the voice between similar characters. Saaa.
Quote:
(seeing as how she devotes more time to selling herself shamelesslygoing mainstream and cutting down on the acting)
Er, Precure is a popular show in Japan and I'm amazed she took on the role considering all the stuff she's doing on the side. We don't hear much of her work in drama CDs or video games, but we'll always hear about her real life awards. Tourism Ambassador of Niihama? olol?
Quote:
And whoever said that stuff to LVD(i'm assuming it was through a de-rep, since he didn't just address it through a similar derep or PM or VM but here instead), you have a comrade here in me when it comes to the Nanahaet. Please PM me and we can both bitch about it like a pair of 13 year olds.
Yes, de-rep. Weren't you the guy that wanted to talk to danie through gtalk? If so, why the sudden hate? lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I like Yukari's voice, but she's mostly just a two trick pony. She's either super cutesy (like Rika from Higurashi), or super dark and brooding (like... Rika from Higurashi ). I'd basically point to Rika and say "Yeah, Yukari Tamura's roles are mostly either one of those extremes." I'd like to hear her in more 'normal' adult roles.
- Her chara from SoraKake is more normal, but the voice itself will remind you of Dark Rika.
- Trying to remember what her character sound like in Ouran Host club, but I'm horribly failing. She's the girl at last two episodes who's trying to <fill in the blanks> Tamaki.
- Iori from Idolmaster Xenoglossia, Tomari from KashiMashi and Togame from Katanagatari are tsun, which is something we don't get to hear a lot.
- Pastel Ink-sensei. SEKUSHII, AAA, SEKUSHII~
- Bug girl in Sketchbook ~full color's~
- S-Seppuku Kurousagi from Kampfer ;A;!
- Uh, she's that one girl in Realta Nua who goes OHOHOHOHOHO I believe.
- Chihaya from Asu no Yoichi!~ssu.
- I don't remember Alice from Pandora Hearts [original drama CD] being too cutesy. Only real cutesy part I remember was her going "niku, niku, niku~"
- Where does Rozalin from Disgaea 2 fall? >_o

But in all reality, it's not like Yukarin can pick the characters she voices. I'd say pretty much all seiyuu can do more than what we hear in anime, video games and drama CDs. They just aren't getting that chance.

Like what if Ueda Kana voiced Shana from Shakugan no Shana? She did try out for the role, so I'm not saying anything crazy.
Quote:
That's probably the most notable thing: she can turn her accent on and off at will. That just can't be that easy to do!
Pretty sure it's the seiyuu schools that teach them how to speak Tokyo-ben decently. I guess it helps that Ueda Kana has that degree in linguistics.

Er, a lot of seiyuu have accents. I'm not familiar enough with Japanese to know, but I'll just go by this: Kotobuki Minako has an accent similar to the one she used in Umi Monogatari. I believe the other three sphere members were begging her to use her real accent. And I think she did, too lazy to ask mate.
Quote:
That's a mark of a great voice actress when she can change her voice so much you can't even tell it's her anymore.
That's one aspect. It's useless if you can change your voice that much and not be a decent actor. Except Kana-sama is awesome, so all is good.

Ehh, haven't gone beyond ep1 of Vampire Knight. Tell me an episode to download so I can hear for myself, since Ueda Kana is someone I think is easy to identify.

Don't know if you're into using sound on the PC like Madobe Nanami, but Hayate no Gotoku! had those chara singles with similar things. Of course, there's Sakuya ones, but there's also this somewhat old version of Kana-sama. She's not really portraying anyone, but she says 「にゃん」 and 「キスして…」 My Kana-sama worshipper might still be recovering from the blood loss.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 18:15   Link #26
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Ehh, haven't gone beyond ep1 of Vampire Knight. Tell me an episode to download so I can hear for myself, since Ueda Kana is someone I think is easy to identify.
Go to 4:20 in this video. I think she's easy to identify too, which is why I was so shocked I didn't recognise her. It got to the point where I thought ANN made a mistake

Quote:
Don't know if you're into using sound on the PC like Madobe Nanami, but Hayate no Gotoku! had those chara singles with similar things. Of course, there's Sakuya ones, but there's also this somewhat old version of Kana-sama. She's not really portraying anyone, but she says 「にゃん」 and 「キスして…」 My Kana-sama worshipper might still be recovering from the blood loss.
Do you have those Sakuya ones? Only sound bites I'd be interested in are "good morning", "good night" or "welcome back."

Last edited by 00-Raiser; 2010-03-12 at 18:31.
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 19:00   Link #27
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Just for kicks, here's a vid of some seiyuu with their first appearance in anime.
Spoiler for Because not everyone knows some moonrunes or seiyuu:
Bold = Nanoha people, to be somewhat relevant to the thread.
Quote:
Go to 4:20 in this video. I think she's easy to identify too, which is why I was so shocked I didn't recognise her. It got to the point where I thought ANN made a mistake
ffff, whispering. Pretty different for a Kana-sama role, though. Had I known the seiyuu going into the show without knowing the character, I would have been able to spot her. Without knowing, who knows. I think it clicked when she said "Zero inai wa yo" or something.

tbh, I haven't heard a lot of her roles and most of the ones I have are her higher than normal voice. I'm kind of bad and sometimes put marunage on in the background when I'm doing stuff.
Quote:
Do you have those Sakuya ones? Only sound bites I'd be interested in are "good morning", "good night" or "welcome back."
But Sakuya has so much yummy kansai-ben. Why would you not want them all? There's like 25 tracks that aren't, but the other 66 are still good!

Welcome back
Good night
Morning 1
Morning 2

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?

Last edited by Bananoha; 2010-03-12 at 22:12. Reason: SORRY, AYACHII.
Old 2010-03-12, 20:20   Link #28
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
You need to bold Ayako Kawasumi since she played Ixpellia in SSX

Hm, an interesting watch. For those VAs I recognise by name, some of them I couldn't tell by voice. Guess that shows how they've changed over time.

Quote:
ffff, whispering. Pretty different for a Kana-sama role, though. Had I known the seiyuu going into the show without knowing the character, I would have been able to spot her. Without knowing, who knows.
Well, I still can't pick out any Kana-isms when I listen, so... If I hadn't known better, I would have guessed it was some one else voicing her.

Thanks for the sound bites. Every school day I wake up with my alarm clock, flick on my computer, and then climb back into bed. Now I'll have Sakuya yelling at me to get my ass up
Old 2010-03-12, 22:08   Link #29
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Oh yeah, er, sometime within the last two days, I managed to listen to Radio StrikerS ep 22. Except I forgot a great chunk of it.

Narita Ken is a pretty cool guy. Celery and mayo? lolwut. I clearly remember both hosts calling Jail a sado and hentai. Kikasete StrikerS was kinda weird, like just hearing Caro and Jail together like that was weeeeeird.

He totally failed at the tongue twister part and I don't quite remember what his modifier was, but it sounded grossssssss. Rofl.

Upcoming guests:
ep23 - Sanada Asami aka Vita
ep24 - Sakata Kayo aka Schach and Marie
ep25 - Kameoka Mami aka Agito
ep26 - Mizuhashi Kaori aka Yuuno, Sein, Vivio

Hey look, Ueda Kana still isn't a guest. Goddammit.
Quote:
You need to bold Ayako Kawasumi since she played Ixpellia in SSX
Oh right, I forgot about that. Ugh, wasn't I the one that did a quick TL on the cast list too, rofl.

Note to self:
Ayachii = Ix + Mariage
Asakawa Yu = Runessa
Katsu Anri = Voltz
Er wait, that one scientist guy wasn't credited, right.
Quote:
Thanks for the sound bites. Every school day I wake up with my alarm clock, flick on my computer, and then climb back into bed. Now I'll have Sakuya yelling at me to get my ass up
Do I applaud you, wonder why I'm not doing the same, or.... go back to what I should be doing. *stares at doujin piling up*

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-12, 22:11   Link #30
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Narita Ken is a pretty cool guy. Celery and mayo? lolwut.
You mean he didn't mention O-O-O-ORANGEEE?!?!?!

I love Ken Narita. His voice is so much fun to listen to.
Old 2010-03-13, 15:32   Link #31
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
And for more off-topic:
Talent and vocal range would have to go to Sawashiro Miyuki for me. And she'll just keep getting better - she's turning 25 this year. Kugyuu, Mizuhacchi, and KitaEri are up up as well - most big name seiyuu have some sort of talent, but these four girls are way up there for range.
You know which name you had me at. OtaEri~~~ <3 *ehem*

Quote:
Weren't you the guy that wanted to talk to danie through gtalk? If so, why the sudden hate?
obsessive love is a creepy thing(completely ignoring the fact that i've been keeping my fingers crossed that OtaEri would someday get herself a twitter). obsessive haet less so. Though the truthful answer to that would be that i've finally grown tired of her. It's like vindaloo curry. It's ok when you're crazy about it. But after a while it just starts taking the roof of your mouth off and then you'll start hating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD
Just wondering how you guys rate seiyuu.
will answer that when i have more time.
Old 2010-03-13, 16:03   Link #32
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Just wondering how you guys rate seiyuu.
I'm nowhere near as Seiyuu savvy as most in this thread, but I generally judge on these criteria:
  • Emotional range: Different emotions require different voices. Variety in this gives the character more personality.
  • Character personality match: Does the voice match the personality of the character? A serious character with a not so serious voice can potentially ruin the character.
  • Vocal range: Can I recognize the VA in every role she does? If yes, then she will have scored low here. Dutch VA's doing the dubbing of the few anime we get here have a permanent track record of being horrible in this regard.
The annoying part of my criteria list is that while it's a decent list under normal circumstances, it's weaker in Japan because popular Seiyuu can be cast because of their specific voice, and are under contract to use that specific voice. Emotional, vocal range and personality match be damned. That doesn't make it the Seiyuu's fault though, nor a sign of her qualities.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 16:31   Link #33
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Personally I just judge by how much I like the sound of their voice
Old 2010-03-13, 16:38   Link #34
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, there's that too.
Old 2010-03-13, 16:51   Link #35
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

That is pretty much it to me. I'll hear a voice and go "Hey, I like how they sound. What else have they been in?" so I'll go to ANN and look up who played them. Whether or not I remember their names depend on how much I like their voice and how often they appear in shows I like playing characters I like. I have my favourites (though I don't follow their personal lives or anything) and I have been known to watch a show solely because of it's voice cast (Saki comes to mind as an example).
Old 2010-03-13, 16:53   Link #36
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Heh. That's not really 'rating' for me though. Then again, I usually don't have much interest in Seiyuu at all, the only reason I even know half of the names of Nanoha's Seiyuu is because they get thrown around here a lot.
Old 2010-03-13, 23:37   Link #37
seiftis
~defying fate

I've no idea when I first know Mizuki Nana, but she's the one who pulled me into watching the MSLN series, and loving it.

And then just few months ago while watching Aoi Bungaku, I heard this character's voice, thinking "Ah darn, such good voice, who's this?" Checked ANN, and it's Mizuki, can't believe I didn't recognize her this time. Her voice should be obvious sometimes.
Old 2010-03-13, 23:55   Link #38
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
You mean he didn't mention O-O-O-ORANGEEE?!?!?!
Most seiyuu.... don't really talk about their characters like that unless it's in an interview or something. Which is something I'm thankful for because if I hear Mizuki Nana rant about White Album again.... Or her fagging over NanoFate....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
obsessive love is a creepy thing(completely ignoring the fact that i've been keeping my fingers crossed that OtaEri would someday get herself a twitter). obsessive haet less so. Though the truthful answer to that would be that i've finally grown tired of her. It's like vindaloo curry. It's ok when you're crazy about it. But after a while it just starts taking the roof of your mouth off and then you'll start hating it.
One day, I'll understand this.

norly, I'd understand losing interest, but the hate seems a bit much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
  • Emotional range: Different emotions require different voices. Variety in this gives the character more personality.
And I immediately thought of Toyosaki Aki, lol.
Quote:
  • Character personality match: Does the voice match the personality of the character? A serious character with a not so serious voice can potentially ruin the character.
Blame the sound director that hired the seiyuu. ;P

To be more serious, I can't judge a seiyuu's acting ability on if they're given a character that "doesn't match their voice." I think Yukarin's voice is horrible for the infamous Kugyuu tsundere roles, but the acting is still good. And now I'm thinking about when Nagi and Zange switched voices.
Quote:
  • Vocal range: Can I recognize the VA in every role she does? If yes, then she will have scored low here. Dutch VA's doing the dubbing of the few anime we get here have a permanent track record of being horrible in this regard.
Vocal range just makes a seiyuu more versatile: versatility =/= how well they can act

Example - Noto Mamiko's range is horrible. But if you give her a character that suits her voice fcuk you SetoKai, the results can be amazing. She pretty much is a real life Sawako.... Such an angel~

Let's look at the other side. Takahashi Mikako is somewhat versatile, but her rittle boya voice is pretty meh. Kugyuu's isn't too great either.
Quote:
popular Seiyuu can be cast because of their specific voice
Let's add onto this!
  • Connections with people in the industry
    - Here's looking to you, guy whose name I don't care to remember but is totally in love with Kawasumi Ayako and Noto Mamiko.
  • Connections with fellow seiyuu
    - Tamura Yukari x Horie Yui lol Yamato Nadeshiko is probably the strongest one. The funny thing is that Yukarin's been in more shows with Nakahara Mai.
    - THAT ONE DIRECTOR AND HIS KAWASUMI AYAKO AND NOTO MAMIKO ARGH.
  • If they've been in popular series
    - yo sup girls of K-On! and I guess Haruhi to some extent HELLO ANY NON-KEYANI YET STILL KYOANI SHOW except Munto lol
  • Others
    - Singing, song writing/composing/arranging totally not the seiyuu trying to get some money, some seiyuu have dabbled into sound directing, script editing etc. within the anime industry
    - Notice how Mizuki Nana is getting a lot more roles because of her breaking rec- zzzz
    - I'll have to say appearance to an extent because people like to look at cute seiyuu in seiyuu magazines. Poor Itou Shizuka who wanted to be a seiyuu because she thought people wouldn't be able to see her face....
    - Languages/dialects is what I think I'd call it. Ueda Kana is the girl to go to for Kansai-ben now and before it was.... Hisakawa Aya? Another thing they might look for is a seiyuu's background, like how Hayami Saori, despite being young, is very good formal speech and making it sound natural. I guess her MariMite-like background shows.
Quote:
Personally I just judge by how much I like the sound of their voice
That's.... so mean. ;_;
Quote:
That is pretty much it to me. I'll hear a voice and go "Hey, I like how they sound. What else have they been in?" so I'll go to ANN and look up who played them. Whether or not I remember their names depend on how much I like their voice and how often they appear in shows I like playing characters I like. I have my favourites (though I don't follow their personal lives or anything) and I have been known to watch a show solely because of it's voice cast (Saki comes to mind as an example).
That's how I used to be.

.... And now look at me. orz

Actually, it's pretty fun knowing how most seiyuu are just everyday, normal people. Like how Nakahara Mai was short on rent and had to borrow money from her [I believe younger] sister because being a seiyuu sucks unless you're a seiyuu idol and even then you're not that rich unless you compose, arrange or write the lyrics to songs. Or how about Ueda Kana's obsession with Halo video games and mahjong to the point where she sometimes goes to the recording studio dead tired. I think Kana-sama has a younger sister too. But yeah, speaking of lack of money, I believe Kana-sama delivered hot food to people for one of her part-time jobs when she wasn't enough roles.

Ahhh, Kana-sama interests me far more off-screen than on. I'm actually somewhat out of the seiyuu loop now, at least until I actually learn moonrunes. I only have time for Yukarin and maybe some Nana and Minorin. ;-;
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis View Post
And then just few months ago while watching Aoi Bungaku, I heard this character's voice, thinking "Ah darn, such good voice, who's this?" Checked ANN, and it's Mizuki, can't believe I didn't recognize her this time. Her voice should be obvious sometimes.
Sakai Masato's horribleness can make anyone shine. That was the worst arc for him, especially voice wise. Arghhhhhh, totally forgot about how he sounded like too. :|

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-14, 04:20   Link #39
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
To be more serious, I can't judge a seiyuu's acting ability on if they're given a character that "doesn't match their voice." I think Yukarin's voice is horrible for the infamous Kugyuu tsundere roles, but the acting is still good. And now I'm thinking about when Nagi and Zange switched voices.
It is not a single defining criticism, but it is part of it. Seiyuu can work on making a voice that fits as well.

Quote:
Vocal range just makes a seiyuu more versatile: versatility =/= how well they can act
On the contrary, versatility is a very important factor in how well you can act. it is this that separates true actors from posterboys. Doing good acting in one vocal range already takes practice, doing a similar good acting in other vocal ranges becomes even harder. The more ranges a seiyuu can pull off, and pull off well, the more skill that Seiyuu has.
Old 2010-03-14, 06:43   Link #40
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Seiyuu can work on making a voice that fits as well.
I guess this is where opinions can really differ because what I think works well may not work for others.

I'll still blame bad directors. 8)
Quote:
On the contrary, versatility is a very important factor in how well you can act. it is this that separates true actors from posterboys. Doing good acting in one vocal range already takes practice, doing a similar good acting in other vocal ranges becomes even harder. The more ranges a seiyuu can pull off, and pull off well, the more skill that Seiyuu has.
Are we talking about vocal range, timbre or both? The more I read the post, the less sense it makes to me.

Will probably elaborate later on other seiyuu when I have time/sleep-so-things-make-sense.

Range:
Inoue Marina ≥ Takahashi Mikako ≥ Saito Chiwa > Nakahara Mai

Skill:
Chiwa ≥ Mai > Marina > Mikako

Can't think anymore as I try to remember roles of ChiwaChiwa, Mai-chan and Marina. Mittan has range and decent skill, but she can't change her timbre much.

I'm trying to not use Yukarin as an example. <_>

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?