AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-08, 09:28   Link #1
DrFuko

Chapter 434 Discussion [Spoilers]

As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Lol, what a redundant thread name!

Anywho, here's the recap of chapter 434.

- On the cover, eneru battles against that thing he found on the moon.
- Shanks gets on Whitebeard's ship, and everyone keels over foaming from his "spirit"
- No quality booze... bad sake from West Blue, Shank's home.
- Shanks and Buggy were on Gol D. Roger's crew. Separated when he was executed.
- Whitebeard fought with Mihawk all the time.
- Shanks' scar was made by Blackbeard (and aparently, it hurts too.)
- Whitebeard is 100 years older than Shanks.
- Shanks and Whitebeard start to fight.

- Blackbeard reads about what the Mugiwaras did, is about to depart for Water 7 to get Luffy
....BUT ACE SHOWS UP AND SAYS "WAIT TEACH. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU".

Yup, that's it. Gosh, a bunch of revelations! How much more can be revealed! Plus, a couple of fights! Unexpected (well, at least ace vs. blackbeard).

Oh, and it seems that Blackbeard's power is similar to Ace's.

Discuss.

Last edited by DrFuko; 2006-11-08 at 15:53.
Old 2006-11-08, 10:25   Link #2
regasatanum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuko View Post

Oh, and it seems that Blackbeard's power is similar to Ace's.

No... Blackbeard == Shanks.

As the chapter suggest, Shanks believed Ace's life is in danger if hes going to confront blackbeard and wanted this to stop.

What a revelation...

blackbeard is one major player!

Now i know why Lafitte can easily sneak into the Marine HQ... and calmly speak to the likes of Mihawk and Don flamingo.
Old 2006-11-08, 11:55   Link #3
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I guess One Piece has entered the final spurt, revelation after revelations. Shanks being in Roger's ship and still continuing to live gives a good idea for what happened to the low-level crew members at that time. I wonder if Roger did make a deal regarding his life so that they will let go his crew. Also, if Whitebeard is that old, then he should be like the giants from Elbaf.

Lastly, if Shanks wants Blackbeard to live, does that mean he wants to make him a part of their forces against the World Government? maybe revenge for Roger?
Old 2006-11-08, 13:06   Link #4
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
well i still can't beleive it ... i can't beleive any of this turn events specialy shanks scar and shanks and buggy being part of roger crew becuase both of them would be 15 when roger died.
i need to read the chapter first to belive this stuff ... anyway if then u were right S_C_L-1 about shanks and buggy being part of roger crew
Old 2006-11-08, 14:54   Link #5
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Whitebeard has a similar wound to Shanks, given by 'that bastard', which still aches - could be from Roger before his death, and why he has all the medical care... Oh, and Yassop is also in this one, from the trans I read.

I'm really looking forward to reading the raw now.

EDIT: Got Yassup mixed up with Yosaku. I have no idea who Yassop is, now...

Last edited by Illuyankas; 2006-11-08 at 15:52.
Old 2006-11-08, 15:21   Link #6
Slayerx

y'know, personally i was hoping they would be talking about the will of D... doesn't seem that way though, but this is still inteesting... also we see that Ace is actually outranked by atleast one other person on Whitebeard's Ship... that is if each of the divisions is ordered by strength, and not just random numbers

Well, this is a rather surprising... Shanks and buggy both members of gold roger's crew back when they were just teenagers... makes you wonder how strong shanks was back when he was 15 years old... especially since it sounds like he went off to make his own crew afterward.

Can't help but wonder about Whitebeard vs Shanks... my money's on a whitebeard, but Shanks will retreat before any real damage is done... they seem to both use swords, yet it is mihawk that holds the title for swordsmanship... this makes you kinda want to rethink who the strongest characters are... i mean, if Whitebeard is considered to be the the strongest, yet mihawk is considered the better swordsmen, then could it be that despite not holding the title of strongest swordsmen, that Shanks could be more powerful than Mihawk...

Adn as for Mihawk... still wondering if Whitebeard was implying the mihawk was also a part of Gold Roger's crew or not... The way it's worded it can kinda go either way... one way you take it, it kinda sounds like he fought against both shanks and mihawk at the same time... however, he could also be saying that other than shanks, mihawk was someone else that he had numerous run ins with...

Quote:
- It seems as though 2 years have passed from when Luffy defeated Fat Alvida
U sure that was there, in the translation i read Luffy wasn't mentioned except for when Shanks looked back at the day he lost his arm

Quote:
Lastly, if Shanks wants Blackbeard to live, does that mean he wants to make him a part of their forces against the World Government? maybe revenge for Roger?
nah, the way i read it sounds like he just doesn't want Ace to fight blackbeard... If blackbeard mangaes to beat Ace than it will add to Blackbeard's reputation... Shank's seems to fear blackbeard's rise to power, fearing that he eventually grow and steal their place...

Also, i think we can take a good guess as to why blackbeard wants to become a shichibukai... After he fought with shanks, he hid himself behind Whitebeard so that Shanks couldn't get to him... but now that Whitebeard has become his enemy he is now seeking to hide himself behind the world gov't... with the world gov't protecting him he will be able to grow in strength until he can take out whitebeard...

What's also interesting is shanks statement of "no one will be able to stop this rampaging era"... is he refering to the current pirate Era, or does he think that blackbeard, wheather intentional or not, will end up creating a more choatic Era...

next chapter may be blackbeard vs Ace... and after this chapter, my money's on blackbeard
Old 2006-11-08, 15:38   Link #7
DrFuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
U sure that was there, in the translation i read Luffy wasn't mentioned except for when Shanks looked back at the day he lost his arm
It mentioned that 22 years have passed since Gol D. Roger was executed. It used to be 20 at the beginning of the series.
Old 2006-11-08, 15:47   Link #8
Slayerx

Quote:
It mentioned that 22 years have passed since Gol D. Roger was executed. It used to be 20 at the beginning of the series.
actually, for as long as i can remember it was always 22 years ago... but then again, i have alays had a shotty memory... well atleast i know for certain that it was said to be 22 years ago before this chapter...
Old 2006-11-08, 15:57   Link #9
DrFuko

Good call. It was 22 years ago. My bad, edited the mistake. Hmmm, I guess Luffy will forever be 17. That was what Oda said, after all.
Old 2006-11-08, 20:44   Link #10
chitgoks

cant really say blackbeard is equal or might be better than shanks as what some people may think. a person's strength is different when you're evil and good.

shanks > blackbeard

@regasatanum : lafitte had to show the marines he's confident and calm else theyd rule him out right away. we cant even be certain if he's really strong. he could just be good at stealth.
Old 2006-11-08, 21:40   Link #11
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
if Whitebeard is considered to be the the strongest, yet mihawk is considered the better swordsmen, then could it be that despite not holding the title of strongest swordsmen, that Shanks could be more powerful than Mihawk...
No SlayerX, Mihawk is STRONGER than Shanks! It is stated that Mihawk use to fight Shanks all the time and Mihawk fought Whitebeard ALL of the time yet he has the title of "World's Greatest Swordsman." Mihawk is indeed stronger than Shanks.
Old 2006-11-08, 21:42   Link #12
yuchan

This is what i'm talkin about! I wanna see Whitebeard fight. I mean, what can someone his size do beside be really strong? And 100 years older than shanks? I guess this means One Piece people can live longer than regular humans. Chapter sounds great!

I think it was in this forum that i said after 400 chapters the story has kind of went nowhere, at least where it should. I guess Shonen Jump thought the same. I for one am glad. One Piece has never been the 1st manga i eagerly wait for until a couple chapters ago. Plus Naruto is kinda bleh now and Bleach is in a ok stage. But One Piece is where it's at!
Old 2006-11-08, 22:12   Link #13
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
nah, the way i read it sounds like he just doesn't want Ace to fight blackbeard... If blackbeard mangaes to beat Ace than it will add to Blackbeard's reputation... Shank's seems to fear blackbeard's rise to power, fearing that he eventually grow and steal their place...
I still don't see why Shanks would be afraid of Blackbeard becoming a highly reputable pirate, be it pirate way or government way. It is not like he will gain a power up even if he beats Ace, he is already strong enough and if he is weak compared to Shanks and Whitebeard, he will stay so, that shouldn't change.

Regarding Roger's crew, I remember from the anime someone that looks similar to one of Shanks's crew maybe ordering the people around. I wonder if they are the same people, or if two people unrelated. Cause if they are the same, then it is possible that in Shanks crew there may be other people who are from the Roger's crew (maybe even Yassop).
Old 2006-11-08, 22:19   Link #14
chitgoks

yuchan , yeah, even if naruto is' showing akatsuki stuffs, the manga is still boring coz they're showing naruto training. it's a waste of time. one piece is the best for me! manga and anime!

shanks aint afraid of blackbeard's rise to power, why should he be in the first place. if he is, then why go to white beard, wb would only see him as a weakling if that would be the case. he's just concerned with ace's welfare since he knows he'd be outmatched.. but who knows... shanks doesnt know ace that much, after all these time ace could be just the same as blackbeard
Old 2006-11-08, 23:54   Link #15
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
Quote:
Good call. It was 22 years ago. My bad, edited the mistake. Hmmm, I guess Luffy will forever be 17. That was what Oda said, after all.
nah.. it just mean that 1 year still didn't pass since luffy start his journey, which i think it is about to be 1 year for the start of luffy journey

Quote:
Regarding Roger's crew, I remember from the anime someone that looks similar to one of Shanks's crew maybe ordering the people around. I wonder if they are the same people, or if two people unrelated. Cause if they are the same, then it is possible that in Shanks crew there may be other people who are from the Roger's crew (maybe even Yassop).
yeah.. that old guy with the gun used to order shanks and buggy around .. i always though that he was their old captain ... anyway in wiki they are saying that shanks age is 37 years old !!! if so it means he was 15 years old when roger was executed .. that's mean they were 14 when they joined roger !? if so why shanks wanted to create his own crew and to go on adventure instead of stealing from people .. was roger like that ?

in the anime they showed Yassop joining Shanks ship .. and since he have Usopps (Age 17 the same as luffy) then i don’t think Yassop was part of roger crew .. unless he left after roger got cough and then shanks made him join him later.

i doubt shanks fear BB, but he just want his revenge on him if BB really wounded him. i think maybe BB first joined shanks crew .. when shanks was drunk he tried to kill him but he failed, the he ran to WB and hide from shanks there .. after a while he tried to rise to power again but he failed .. he ended up killing some of WB crew .. and fled so that WB revenge can't reach him ... and now he is trying to escape using WG ... if so if he defeated Ace then he can get reputation enough for him to join the ranks of shibukai.

but i am wandering about something .. if WB send Ace after BB, and shanks doesn't want BB and Ace to fight, means that shanks knows BB powers .. if so does that mean BB didn't show or tell WB about his DF Ability ?
Old 2006-11-09, 00:04   Link #16
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Not every pirate is like Buggy. Some are like Luffy, sailing for adventure, try to find hidden treasure, without (or trying to avoid) causing problems for the poor people (in other words stealing from them). So, I think Shanks is like that too.

Now, another question, One Piece. If the crew members are still alive, and if one piece is a treasure, and Shanks (or Buggy) haven't found it yet, it can only mean different divisions within Roger's crew, and only the main crew knowing about that. That can also mean a complete wipe out for the main crew. And the secondary, new crew members, who know not much about Roger surviving his capture.
Old 2006-11-09, 06:51   Link #17
striderm
Adusa #1

Yasopp looks quite different now... much much better hair and look.
Old 2006-11-09, 08:29   Link #18
yuchan

Am i the only one disappointed that Shanks is a swordsman? Given what we've seen of Mihawk, what the hell is gonna make him so special? I hope there's more to him, though i doubt it. But he must be something to make those pirates faint and stuff. Also surprised Whitebeard uses a spear.

And Blackbeard looks way too goofy for me to take seriously, kinda like Bon Clay.
Old 2006-11-09, 08:39   Link #19
Usuratonkachi
An Idiot

I just want to make one clarification. Whitebeard is NOT 100 years old, or 100 years older than Shanks. What he said was "Ore ni sashizu surunanza hyakunen hae", which translates to be "it's a hundred years early for you to order me around".

That isn't implying that Whitebeard is 100 years older. It's a saying in Japanese. It just means that from Whitebeard's view, Shanks is still much too inferior to be making such order-like requests.
Old 2006-11-09, 09:57   Link #20
matsuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuchan View Post
Am i the only one disappointed that Shanks is a swordsman? Given what we've seen of Mihawk, what the hell is gonna make him so special? I hope there's more to him, though i doubt it. But he must be something to make those pirates faint and stuff. Also surprised Whitebeard uses a spear.

And Blackbeard looks way too goofy for me to take seriously, kinda like Bon Clay.
What exactly did you expect? Its widely known that Shanks and Mihawk used to duel, and that they were nearly, if not equal in that respect.

I would like to throw one thought out though, and that is his "Ambition" which is a seeming overwhelming presence he has that is more powerful than most can bear (probly something similar to Reiatsu from Bleach). If this coupled with his swordsmanship is to be put into play, I can see that he would be something fierce for anyone to deal with, making him many times more powerful than Mihawk, but with sword skills alone, he and Mihawk can to a head back in the day.
Closed Thread