AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 32 40.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 25.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.72%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-21, 16:44   Link #41
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
So, Hyouka is ice cream in English? lawl

I had to pause the episode and walk out of the room for a moment when that part came.

Pretty awesome ep.
Yeah, at first I actually remember begging in my mind that it wasn't that "stupid old pun" and that it would ruin everything.

Afterwards though, it's pretty awesome.
Old 2012-05-21, 17:10   Link #42
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 5
Very good episode. The fact there was no opening and ending songs made it more effective.

Rather than dragging it for 10 episodes more, Houtarou expressing his feelings and having doubts about the gray/rosy life is excellent character growth.

I believe the whole mystery is essentially simple: guy got expelled for taking the blame. But the way its presented (loved the quick flahsbacks of the librarian's life!) along with the metaphor of rabbits and dogs and the pun, in addition to the importance of family status earlier displayed and how this could shame him made Sekitani Jun's actions a "sacrifice" with a powerful impact.

I don't know the ice cream song, but I admit I paused for a moment and thinked about the pun, only to yell loudly "It's I SCREAM!". In the room. By myself. This show made me proud of myself.
Old 2012-05-21, 17:16   Link #43
rulfo

It's pretty amusing watching people get "......are you serious?" vibe with this arc's revelation.

It's the same as the reaction I had when I read that part of the novel.

On a side note I have already watched that last scene for quite a few times now. Can't get enough of the atmosphere it had. The BGM for that part really complimented it well. I really really can't wait to get my hands on the OST.

I just hope they don't do it ala Nichijou where it's bundled together with the LE BD/DVD.
Old 2012-05-21, 17:46   Link #44
flack

Now that the main mystery is solved what are they going to do for the remainder 8 episodes?
Old 2012-05-21, 17:52   Link #45
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Now that the main mystery is solved what are they going to do for the remainder 8 episodes?
The show is scheduled for 21 episodes. I'm assuming there will be different mysteries in the coming episodes. But I think there's a chance that eventually, it might revisit this mystery. There's still the fact that the uncle has gone missing for 7 years in India, and the missing first volume...
Old 2012-05-21, 18:14   Link #46
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
I just hope they don't do it ala Nichijou where it's bundled together with the LE BD/DVD.
It's a KadoAni release, thus it's already confirmed the OST will be released on the CDs bundled with the BDs/LE DVDs. They've done this for every release since Haruhi, so it shouldn't take you by surprise.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-05-21, 21:10   Link #47
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I just realized that I don't understand what everyone is talking about Ice Cream and kindergartner's song. I didn't grow up in English-speaking environment (as if it's not obvious from my language ) so can somehow explain/show me what is this referring to?
The real song is nothing like what it was used for in the anime.

Lyrics and video are here.
Old 2012-05-21, 21:27   Link #48
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 5 was very well done.

I must admit that as a whole I thought the adaptation of Volume One of the novels in the last 5 eps was also very well done. It neither felt too rushed nor too slow - KyoAni has done a very good job thus far, and the series has unexpectedly and in an unlooked for manner suddenly launched itself into my most anticipated series slot.

I only hope they can keep up the pace!
Old 2012-05-21, 21:59   Link #49
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Excellent pun with Hyouka. I like the truth behind Sekitani too.

Here's hoping the next arc is good.
Old 2012-05-22, 00:20   Link #50
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
I actually think that's a minor flaw with this production. You can see that they updated the dates. The original novel was published in 2001. It talks about the events of 1968 as happening 33 years earlier, so it takes place in 2001. The anime adaptation talks about the events of 1968 as happening 45 years ago. That means the events in the anime are supposed to take place in 2013.

The change in the dates makes Eru's uncle a bit old in relation to her. It's certainly not impossible, but it's unusual. But more importantly, it alters the context of Houtarou's sister's travels. As of episode 5, she's in Pristina, Kosovo. Kosovo in 2001 was a bare 2 years after the war, and probably far more dangerous than Pristina in 2013. Also, by 2013, one would think that Houtarou and his sister would be communicating by email or text messages, or even (shudder) Facebook, and not by post.
Pristina (and the rest of Kosovo) is still, pretty much, a hole. The phrases used to describe Pristina are "a hotbed of crime" and a "hub of crime," where street crimes (such as muggings) are common. And, perhaps, Tomoei Oreki is touring Eastern Europe by hitch-hiking through it, or some other low-tech (and, apparently, very dangerous) way.

As to thoughts on the episode itself . . . I liked it. It used all those guns put upon the mantle from clear back in Episodes 1 and 2. The animation, as always, is hard to describe without using breathless superlatives. Sekitani Jun's flipping of the bird across the generations with a bad English pun was pretty awesome too.
Old 2012-05-22, 00:39   Link #51
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
21 episodes... And guessing this was the conclusion of novel 1, than they would adapt novels two tom four in the remaining episodes.
Old 2012-05-22, 00:56   Link #52
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
21 episodes... And guessing this was the conclusion of novel 1, than they would adapt novels two tom four in the remaining episodes.
To further clarify, it's 21 episodes in total, with a 22nd "bonus" episode (numbered 11.5) that'll stream online in early July.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:05   Link #53
rulfo

Interesting reference

http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/2...ream-hyouka-5/
Old 2012-05-22, 03:46   Link #54
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Well yes, I'm not saying it's rare, but it still feels fresh to me. I actually don't watch much harem, but even normally it's not pure thought and intelligence I see nowadays, it's more "competence in society" characters. That's very good and DOES require smarts yes, but I do like Houtarou stacking information to reach conclusions.

I just like mysteries, I'll just say that.
Actually you're right. I somehow thought of some shoujo manga MC when I said it's not that rare and they're usually arrogant.

No one made a gif out of 60-to-16 librarian-san yet?
Old 2012-05-22, 03:56   Link #55
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
No one made a gif out of 60-to-16 librarian-san yet?
Old 2012-05-22, 04:52   Link #56
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
To further clarify, it's 21 episodes in total, with a 22nd "bonus" episode (numbered 11.5) that'll stream online in early July.
Seems like they are going to do 4 novels without volume 5 then. Amazing how they can make 5 episodes from a slightly over-200 page book, and in such a classy manner. And to top if off, it has such a great OP, I usually skip the OP, but no longer.
Old 2012-05-22, 06:13   Link #57
j4c06

Was the "ice cream" thing obvious to the Japanese speaking people from the beginning?
Old 2012-05-22, 06:47   Link #58
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Err....yeah?

Hyouka = frozen desserts

Could mean Popsicle, could mean Ice Cream.......or shaved ice.

So yeah, Ice Cream. But the pun? Probably not. Unless you are a punmaker. :P
Old 2012-05-22, 08:25   Link #59
Peanutbutter

Kyoani have really shown here their quality in their own animes. I have to admit I was impressed.

I reckon the actual novel is actually quite wordy and Kyoani managed to bring all those backstory to life, specially the librarian's past.

Now I am a little fuzzy but can someone explain to me why Chitanda cried at her uncle's reply (and what was it exactly). I get the "I scream" part but I can't link the two together.
Old 2012-05-22, 09:28   Link #60
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Was the "ice cream" thing obvious to the Japanese speaking people from the beginning?
I know this is probably TLDR, but here's my take: My Japanese isn't very good, but the "ice cream" thing wasn't obvious to the other four characters in that room either, only to Houtarou, so I don't think it's that obvious. Really, Jun Sekitani must have designed the whole thing to be not obvious, so that it can slip under the radar of the school authorities. Thus it's a forced pun, and a forced translation as well. Most Japanese call ice cream, "aisu kuriimu" 「アイスクリーム」 , taken directly from the English. I think it's been called that for at least 60 years, if not longer, so it certainly would have been the case in 1967. Even the word "cream," by itself, doesn't have a commonly-used, native Japanese equivalent. Everyone calls it "kuriimu" 「クリーム」.

My understanding is that if you wanted to translate "hyouka" 「氷菓」 from Japanese into English, you'd probably say "iced desserts" or "ice candy." But if you wanted to reverse things and translate "ice cream" from English into traditional, non-westernized Japanese, "hyouka" is probably the best option, since there really is no non-western Japanese equivalent. So if Jun Sekitani wanted a way of saying "ice cream" without saying "aisu kuriimu," "hyouka" seems to be as good a translation as any.

Last edited by Upscaled; 2012-05-22 at 10:51. Reason: grammar
Closed Thread