AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-24, 17:57   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Total Eclipse - Character Discussion - Yui Takamura

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Yui Takamura related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Total Eclipse fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN. (Remember: if hasn't happened in the anime, it's a spoiler!)

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-24 at 18:29.
Old 2012-07-25, 04:04   Link #2
Destined_Fate

So, Yui is a broken bird that was toughened by the world.
Spoiler:

What should be done/said to get her to soften up from her cold super serious demeanor?

Or is Yui forever unfix-able and Yuuya will never grow to understand her?
Old 2012-07-25, 06:03   Link #3
kari-no-sugata

Since it's specific to a character and may come up many times, I thought I'd post here. This is referring to this post:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoting the relevant bit
Note that the word she uses for "you" is not the usual "omae/anta/anata", but "kisama", which is not only considered rude, it's used to show contempt for the person you're addressing.
Normally, it would be rare in the extreme for girls to use "kisama" (generally seen by high strung "ojou-sama" types) but my impression is that Yui's speaking style is par for the course in Japanese military. I dunno how it is in Muv-luv universe but AFAIK in WW2 Japanese military this would definitely be what you'd see. We dont see Yui talking to any other 'underlings' yet but my guess would be she'd used 'kisama' too.

For reference: the red-coat squad leader for eps 1-2 uses 'kisama' when addressing the girls.
Old 2012-07-25, 06:18   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Yui, a girl molded for a war that only men should be trained for..
Old 2012-07-25, 06:23   Link #5
Destined_Fate

Eh, that's changing. I'm sure in Muv-Luv universe war is supposed to be for men but in our day and age it isn't strange for women to be brought into war.
Old 2012-07-25, 06:29   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Eh, that's changing. I'm sure in Muv-Luv universe war is supposed to be for men but in our day and age it isn't strange for women to be brought into war.
But a " All women squad" is quite rare... Many are assigned in HQ or military bases... that's what I think... its rare to see them in the front line.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:13   Link #7
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

There's a really long tl;dr article by a retired US Army officer on the subject of women in combat, at which he notes that there are certain drawbacks to having women in the combat arms, particularly the infantry (leg and mechanised) and artillery, simply due to physical constraints (women are physically weaker than men, fact) and the fact that most women don't choose the combat arms in the first place. That said, if the Army was serious about having women in the combat arms it could do so - not painlessly, but it would be quite possible.

At the same time, you do see more women as pilots, sailors, what have you, in skills that rely to a certain degree more on brainpower and kinesthetic sense, so I wouldn't say that having elements and flights composed of girls is too far out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Since it's specific to a character and may come up many times, I thought I'd post here. This is referring to this post:

Normally, it would be rare in the extreme for girls to use "kisama" (generally seen by high strung "ojou-sama" types) but my impression is that Yui's speaking style is par for the course in Japanese military. I dunno how it is in Muv-luv universe but AFAIK in WW2 Japanese military this would definitely be what you'd see. We dont see Yui talking to any other 'underlings' yet but my guess would be she'd used 'kisama' too.

For reference: the red-coat squad leader for eps 1-2 uses 'kisama' when addressing the girls.
That might be their cultural mores, but it's still rude, y'know. And she's still a bitch towards Yuuya, while Yuuya is being an ass towards her.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-25, 08:20   Link #8
Destined_Fate

Eh, that's normal. My Superior Officer was a "bitch" to me when it came to doing what was expected of me or when I made mistakes. Look at it this way, Yui being a bitch with Yuuya is pushing him to try and prove her wrong since being nice to him isn't showing any results considering that Yuuya completely disregards her friendly advice on how to pilot a Japanese TSF with his overly hostile attitude. Or that Yuuya refuses to tell her what the issue he has with her thus she has no way of trying to fix it because she doesn't know why he hates her just that he does and it will effect the team if it isn't fixed.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:28   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Eh, that's normal. My Superior Officer was a "bitch" to me when it came to doing what was expected of me or when I made mistakes. Look at it this way, Yui being a bitch with Yuuya is pushing him to try and prove her wrong since being nice to him isn't showing any results considering that Yuuya completely disregards her friendly advice on how to pilot a Japanese TSF with his overly hostile attitude. Or that Yuuya refuses to tell her what the issue he has with her thus she has no way of trying to fix it because she doesn't know why he hates her just that he does and it will effect the team if it isn't fixed.

In short... this two needs to open up... and discuss the issues alone, together... in a room... then hell brakes lose!!! Yuuya.. Yui.. dai suki...

Seriously, they need to pen up!!!
Old 2012-07-25, 08:31   Link #10
novalysis

Well, I'd like to see someone dispute the supposition that Yui and Yuuya's antagonism would end in "Hot, Angry Sex".
Old 2012-07-25, 08:33   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Well, I'd like to see someone dispute the supposition that Yui and Yuuya's antagonism would end in "Hot, Angry Sex".
yeah, the passion....
Old 2012-07-25, 08:34   Link #12
Destined_Fate

Pretty sure they're saving that for later, it's too early to let her drop her Tsun and start being Dere.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:54   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Pretty sure they're saving that for later, it's too early to let her drop her Tsun and start being Dere.
And that's what I'm really excited to see...
Old 2012-07-25, 08:55   Link #14
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
*shrug* You have a point there, but the real problem with these two is that they are correct on certain things, they are wrong on certain things, and their actions aren't helping things any.

Really, where the hell is Ibrahim and why isn't he sitting down and counseling the two of them, I don't know.

Quote:
Why not?

That said, I have heard inklings that this may not actually happen, so we'll wait and see. That said, this is a 13-ep series, IIRC, and we're already a third of the way through...

Quote:
They'll probably get shot down together, or go through a harrowing shared near death experience that will then result in "I'm Happy To Be Alive Sex" before realising that this mutual antagonism is stupid, and lock themselves in a room.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-25, 09:06   Link #15
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Oh, hell yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
That said, this is a 13-ep series, IIRC, and we're already a third of the way through...
I believe the Blu-rays confirmed that this will be 2-cour.
Old 2012-07-25, 09:13   Link #16
EroKing

Quote:
That said, I have heard inklings that this may not actually happen, so we'll wait and see. That said, this is a 13-ep series, IIRC, and we're already a third of the way through...
2-cour series according to cdjapan (showing 9 volumes).
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVXA-49887
Edit: Aphrah posted just before me

@novalysis: Ever since they showed Yui and Yuuya in episode 3 at the end I have been thinking of nothing but them ending up in a hot angry sex situation
Old 2012-07-25, 09:38   Link #17
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Oh, hell yes.
Is that "hell yes, bring on the hot angry sex" or "Hell yes, dispute and ensure this does not happen"?

Quote:
I believe the Blu-rays confirmed that this will be 2-cour.
Ah, thanks. If that's the case, then we have time... so this will run until next January. Okay, so for this year my anime watchlist has been pretty full, compared to past years. Jormungand, Upotte, Space Brothers, Mouretsu Pirates, now SAO and TE... well, I won't be too bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
2-cour series according to cdjapan (showing 9 volumes).
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVXA-49887
Edit: Aphrah posted just before me

@novalysis: Ever since they showed Yui and Yuuya in episode 3 at the end I have been thinking of nothing but them ending up in a hot angry sex situation
They're a more belligerent Maverick and Charlie.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-25, 09:42   Link #18
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Is that "hell yes, bring on the hot angry sex" or "Hell yes, dispute and ensure this does not happen"?
The former.
Old 2012-07-25, 09:57   Link #19
shaga
ヒスイ刈り取り機

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post

interesting..
well no ofense

normaly yes that's a little harash...BUT we know this anime using militery world for setting
and in my mind..case like this (maybe) normal in there and has a point too
maybe the producer want to make yui look more stronger from before

after we know yui is only one who survive after seeing her freind became snack for beta

or maybe you expect lovey-dovey convertation??
hard to imagine BUT once again..
i m belive this one will happened after yui know yuuya close-quarter combat
in bed..
Old 2012-07-25, 10:19   Link #20
NoemiChan
Banned

Bet who'll be dominant in that criteria>>>
Closed Thread

Tags
characters