AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-26, 23:01   Link #3661
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well at least you're learning. :V That said, adding SKSE won't break your ongoing games--if none of your installed mods utilize it, it can't touch Skyrim, and you won't have to use its launcher.
Old 2013-01-27, 00:03   Link #3662
sa547
*Author

It also helps to read installation notes and technical requirements when installing SKSE-enabled mods, along with user comments, and make adjustments accordingly.

At last count, with the navmesh issue fixed once and for all, the Lakeview pool mod has gained 113 endorsements. Been thinking of adding perimeter guards, but I feel it would be best made as a separate mod.
Old 2013-01-27, 09:28   Link #3663
DuoRanger
Banned

why no one was smart yet to create some hexen/heretic mods for skyrim yet? a dungeon based on the seven portals would be great
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 20:16   Link #3664
sa547
*Author

Yeah, it seems that some aren't aware of those games (and I played Heretic once back in college).
Old 2013-01-27, 21:28   Link #3665
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Yeah, it seems that some aren't aware of those games (and I played Heretic once back in college).
Heretic or hexen?

Me and my roomate tried to get through Hexen I, it was a nightmare of a game.

Heretic I was terrible, Heretic II was good, but the game crashed at a certain point so I stopped playing (Right after u need to find a glass container so you can store the cure)
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 16:09   Link #3666
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Heretic or hexen?

Me and my roomate tried to get through Hexen I, it was a nightmare of a game.

Heretic I was terrible, Heretic II was good, but the game crashed at a certain point so I stopped playing (Right after u need to find a glass container so you can store the cure)
Both really. Not all that many anymore recognize both these games. You'd be surprised how many people asked me "what are those games?!" when I brought them up.

Back at 1997 my brother and I found a CD full of demos (it was called the "Ultimate Game Pack". That CD helped restart my interest back into PC Gaming!), and in it were the demos for Heretic and Hexen (as well as Doom, but I didn't play it as much since there were sound problems with it). I played the hell out of both of those demos but trying to find them was a bit on the difficult side. We both live near a small town and they were both old games. So yeah, it took us awhile to find both versions of those games. By luck my brother found Heretic (Shadows of the Serpent Riders edition, which had the 2 extra episodes and the Hellmace weapon) at our local Hastings, but it wasn't until 1999 until I found (by luck) a copy of Hexen.

IMHO Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2 are classic gems (I'll be blunt here, I never cared for Heretic 2) that are often overlooked since many seem to have forgotten them anymore. Ironically, back at 2000, I E-Mailed Raven Games and asked if they were planning on doing anymore Hexen sequels, which they replied they had planned on visiting the franchise in the future. Well it's 2013.......and Activision is tasking them with giving a helping hand with the Call of Duty series and the franchise's DLCs.

But back on topic, I'd like to see a Hexen mod for Skyrim, but I have a feeling such a project would take forever. I mean, look at how long the mod "Hexen: Edge of Chaos" has been in development.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 16:35   Link #3667
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Both really. Not all that many anymore recognize both these games. You'd be surprised how many people asked me "what are those games?!" when I brought them up.

Back at 1997 my brother and I found a CD full of demos (it was called the "Ultimate Game Pack". That CD helped restart my interest back into PC Gaming!), and in it were the demos for Heretic and Hexen (as well as Doom, but I didn't play it as much since there were sound problems with it). I played the hell out of both of those demos but trying to find them was a bit on the difficult side. We both live near a small town and they were both old games. So yeah, it took us awhile to find both versions of those games. By luck my brother found Heretic (Shadows of the Serpent Riders edition, which had the 2 extra episodes and the Hellmace weapon) at our local Hastings, but it wasn't until 1999 until I found (by luck) a copy of Hexen.

IMHO Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2 are classic gems (I'll be blunt here, I never cared for Heretic 2) that are often overlooked since many seem to have forgotten them anymore. Ironically, back at 2000, I E-Mailed Raven Games and asked if they were planning on doing anymore Hexen sequels, which they replied they had planned on visiting the franchise in the future. Well it's 2013.......and Activision is tasking them with giving a helping hand with the Call of Duty series and the franchise's DLCs.

But back on topic, I'd like to see a Hexen mod for Skyrim, but I have a feeling such a project would take forever. I mean, look at how long the mod "Hexen: Edge of Chaos" has been in development.
Hexen was a bit overkill, I never liked it that much, because they went way overboard with the puzzles. Like "Find the tome from the library at level 4, then head 20 zones later, insert tome, door on level 19 opens, now search for 3 seperate switches across 9 different zones to solve the puzzle to lower the draw bridge)

It is the same problem I have with resident evil. With some many interlocking security, it make me wonder how the FORCE OF EVIL go through their daily route if the villain has to climb a giant clocktower or fight his PET DRAGON just so he can get the key to the executive bathroom
Old 2013-01-31, 17:27   Link #3668
DuoRanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Hexen was a bit overkill, I never liked it that much, because they went way overboard with the puzzles. Like "Find the tome from the library at level 4, then head 20 zones later, insert tome, door on level 19 opens, now search for 3 seperate switches across 9 different zones to solve the puzzle to lower the draw bridge)

It is the same problem I have with resident evil. With some many interlocking security, it make me wonder how the FORCE OF EVIL go through their daily route if the villain has to climb a giant clocktower or fight his PET DRAGON just so he can get the key to the executive bathroom
this was the main fun of Hexen, ID had balls enough to make a RPG FPS game following heretic, Might and Magic, Quake and TES way of gameplay
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 14:47   Link #3669
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

So is Dragonborn out in a couple of days or am I wrong?
Old 2013-02-04, 15:28   Link #3670
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The 5th or the 6th? Don't have Steam up at the moment to see.

Well, I went ahead and installed SKSE and put in the SkyUI and Frostfell. I just wiped the slate clean on characters as well. I'm using the Alternate Life start mod (which I like a lot. I always thought rolling right into the "dragonborn" plot seemed odd).

Only complaint about Frostfell is that I had to tune it down. There's just something not quite right about me freezing to death while chatting with a bunch of villagers dressed in shorts and shirtless. OTOH, it made getting off the shipwreck, across the frigid water and to shore quite exciting (Mario ice hopping and then slaughtering a bandit so I could use his firepit).
Old 2013-02-04, 16:45   Link #3671
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The 5th or the 6th? Don't have Steam up at the moment to see.

Well, I went ahead and installed SKSE and put in the SkyUI and Frostfell. I just wiped the slate clean on characters as well. I'm using the Alternate Life start mod (which I like a lot. I always thought rolling right into the "dragonborn" plot seemed odd).

Only complaint about Frostfell is that I had to tune it down. There's just something not quite right about me freezing to death while chatting with a bunch of villagers dressed in shorts and shirtless. OTOH, it made getting off the shipwreck, across the frigid water and to shore quite exciting (Mario ice hopping and then slaughtering a bandit so I could use his firepit).
Try leaving Winterfall, lol

I turned off Frostfall for the exact reason. near freezing to death while fighting bandits is no fun.
Old 2013-02-04, 17:22   Link #3672
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
You do know that exposure gain is, by default, automatically turned off during combat and conversations, right? You can't actually freeze to death having a conversation or fighting bandits unless you want to.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 18:26   Link #3673
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
You do know that exposure gain is, by default, automatically turned off during combat and conversations, right? You can't actually freeze to death having a conversation or fighting bandits unless you want to.
I was being a bit silly, but I have been standing in Dawnstar while everyone is strolling about and nearly frozen to death while they sip their lattes sitting at their sidewalk cafes in shorts and sunglasses.

And yes, the exposure is paused while you're engaged with NPCs.

Cranking the exposure rate down a few notches minimized the "why am I covered in ice while Momo the street wench parades around in rags?" issue. Using W.E.A.R. seems to provide more mitigation as well. There are plenty of knobs to turn if something doesn't seem quite right in the immersion.
Old 2013-02-04, 19:20   Link #3674
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
So is Dragonborn out in a couple of days or am I wrong?
Tomorrow, yeah. I pre-purchased it over Steam already.
Old 2013-02-04, 20:09   Link #3675
sa547
*Author

Some 12 to 24 hours from now.

With Frostfall, yes, it really does add an extra challenge, so I had to be careful when crossing bodies of water and get dry immediately (but somehow using a horse nicely serves as a rudimentary boat to minimize immersion damage).

Sometimes later I'll have to go back and work on the mods.
Old 2013-02-05, 14:45   Link #3676
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, Dragonborn's released for PC now. Now I gotta redownload the whole damn game for the new backup. ._.

And even then I don't get to play until the mod compatibility is finished up. Argh. At least I'll have Dead Space 3 starting... tomorrow. (because I can't play that tonight EITHER. ARGH.)
Old 2013-02-05, 17:35   Link #3677
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Well, Dragonborn's released for PC now. Now I gotta redownload the whole damn game for the new backup. ._.

And even then I don't get to play until the mod compatibility is finished up. Argh. At least I'll have Dead Space 3 starting... tomorrow. (because I can't play that tonight EITHER. ARGH.)
Eyah, I forgot about the temporary clusterfsck with Dawnguard and mods. I think I'll wait a few days before installing Dragonborn.
Old 2013-02-05, 17:55   Link #3678
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yeah, a number of popular mods will need to be updated. SkyRe, for one. Deadly Dragons, for another, since Dragonborn introduces the Serpentine Dragons... never mind the Tame Dragon mechanic. Then there's, of course, the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch, which likely won't get created for another week at the latest, since as Arthmoor said, he and the others would like to at least play the DLC before attempting to fix it.

So yeah, it's gonna be a few weeks at most before it settles down. Luckily I'll have Dead Space 3 and a crapton of school work to deal with in the meantime, but I dunno about the rest of you guys. :V
Old 2013-02-05, 18:03   Link #3679
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Oh, considering the fact Dragonborn modifies the "Kill Dragon" script which USKP also modifies for fixing, thus causing dragons to not give you dragon souls (and thus also breaking the vanilla main quest) as long as you have both installed, I think a preliminary "Unofficial Dragonborn Patch" to fix just this one thing is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Edit: Turns out this was an issue with a dirty edit that was in the beta version of 1.2.7 of the USKP, and it was since removed on the release version. Don't know why a lot of people would still be using a beta of all things.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2013-02-05 at 19:40.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 20:15   Link #3680
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Don't know why a lot of people would still be using a beta of all things.
It's because people are idiots.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim