AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2016-06-04, 09:22   Link #1
ninja666

I really loved Michiko to Hatchin. Anything similar I can watch?

Recently, I finished watching Michiko to Hatchin, and I have to say it was one of the best anime series I've ever seen. I was mesmerized by it from the beginning till the very end. I feel it was way too short though and I want something similar (and just as good) to fill the void. Any suggestions?

I've already had a look at various recommendation lists before making this thread, but despite all of the titles available on those list, I'm having a hard time finding a fitting one. Why? In most cases, on these lists, there's also an explanation included as to why you might be interested in a particular show. Those explanations are the reason I'm having such a hard time picking something - all of them are either a massive stretch ("Hey, look! This show also has 2 female protagonists! Should be right up your alley!") or say something along the lines of "Michiko to Hatchin is way more serious and story-driven, while [insert the recommended show's name here] is purely an action-packed, over the top, comedic experience, but you should like it anyway". The thing is, I liked Michiko to Hatchin exactly for the things these other shows don't seem to have. Come to think of it, despite being the closest thing on a superficial level, even Cowboy Bebop doesn't have what I'm after. Here's what I want:

- A mix of over the top action (preferably in form of gunfights, rather than hand-to-hand/swordfights; it's a preference, not a necessity and can be easily looked past), adventure, comedy, and serious drama, with seamless tonal shifts and more focus on storytelling rather than action
- A well-written (not "well-written for anime standards", but rather actually well-written), well-paced, captivating story
- A variety of interesting characters, that are grounded in reality, with lots of meaningful interactions between them
- A good-looking artstyle, full of vivid colors and with lots of attention to detail
- Takes place in a realistic setting
- Falls as far away from your typical anime tropes as possible. Western tropes are okay with me.
- No supernatural elements whatsoever. I can be a little lax towards this particular criterion, depending on the level of supernatural stuff involved. If it's something insignificant, like one character fighting with magic, then it's ok, but stuff like fantasy worlds, where humans and aliens/demons/ghosts/whatever either fight each other or coexist is a no-go.
- A finished, complete, self-contained experience. I don't want to be forced to read any manga, or play any games/VNs to fully understand the story. Everything that needs to be covered has to be covered within the series itself

Please don't recommend (that doesn't mean I liked any of it, I'm just asking you not to recommend these):

- Cowboy Bebop (apart from the artstyle, and a few charismatic characters, I don't really feel it's very similar)
- Black Lagoon (too much action, too little story)
- Jormungand (same as Black Lagoon)

Is there something out there for me or am I out of luck? Thanks in advance for helping me out.

PS. If you feel, I didn't cover something, feel free to ask about it. I'll gladly answer anything if it means it's going to make my search easier.

Last edited by ninja666; 2016-06-04 at 09:32.
ninja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 12:50   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I've never watched it but Michiko to Hatchin is directed by Sayo Yamamoto right? It might be worth checking out other shows she's connected to, most notably The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Samurai Champloo.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 13:42   Link #3
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I've never watched it but Michiko to Hatchin is directed by Sayo Yamamoto right? It might be worth checking out other shows she's connected to, most notably The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Samurai Champloo.
Just because she directed them won't necessarily mean they'll provide the same kind of experience, just like two movies from the same director can differ massively in content and tone. Still, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them both out.
Old 2016-06-04, 17:00   Link #4
arachni42

I haven't thought of any series that fit all of your criteria, but I've come away wanting to see Michiko to Hatchin, lol!

I agree with Samurai Champloo on the action and unique art style, but personally I consider it less strong on the storytelling. I'd say it's comparable to Cowboy Bebop.

What is it more specifically about Cowboy Bebop that's unsatisfying compared to Michiko to Hatchin?
arachni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 17:45   Link #5
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachni42 View Post
What is it more specifically about Cowboy Bebop that's unsatisfying compared to Michiko to Hatchin?
Mostly lack of continuity. Cowboy Bebop felt like a Saturday morning cartoon to me in a way that everything was always resolved in a single episode (even if it meant ending something prematurely and in an unsatisfying way) and every episode was independent from the others.
Old 2016-06-04, 21:36   Link #6
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

I love Michiko e Hatchin! I recommend these two animes:

1) Gangsta: I seriously love that series and it gave me a similar feeling I got from Michiko e Hatchin (minus the mother-daughter relationship). Has a bit of a supernatural element...sort of. But it's definitely not fantasy-like at all.

2) Witchblade: It not necessarily a gangster kind of anime but it has a very similar mother-daughter relationship as in Michiko e Hatchin (it's beautiful :') ) Has lots of action with some comedy, drama, a bit of romance. It also has a some supernatural elements to it which is really what started the plot. If you don't mind people transforming into monsters to engage in a fight, you'll love this too.
Midnight2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 22:45   Link #7
arachni42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja666 View Post
Mostly lack of continuity. Cowboy Bebop felt like a Saturday morning cartoon to me in a way that everything was always resolved in a single episode (even if it meant ending something prematurely and in an unsatisfying way) and every episode was independent from the others.
So, too episodic, instead of a focused, centralized arc?

I actually went and watched the first two episodes of Michiko to Hatchin because I was curious. There is something that struck me as very different about it from the start -- the realistic setting. Not realistic in the sense of nothing supernatural (although that's part of it), but in it doesn't rely on any sort of strange premise. Instead, it starts with a bad real life type of situation, and it sets up a theme/question of what it means to escape that situation. I think this type of show is pretty rare.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by realistic or not, or even how accurate an impression that is, but I'm interested to know.
arachni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-05, 06:59   Link #8
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
Gangsta: I seriously love that series and it gave me a similar feeling I got from Michiko e Hatchin (minus the mother-daughter relationship). Has a bit of a supernatural element...sort of. But it's definitely not fantasy-like at all.
I was actually interested in this series, but what put me off was plethora of bad reviews it got on MAL. Does this anime objectively have any noticeable problems I should be aware of, or can I just jump in without worry and ignore what people say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
Witchblade: It not necessarily a gangster kind of anime but it has a very similar mother-daughter relationship as in Michiko e Hatchin (it's beautiful :') ) Has lots of action with some comedy, drama, a bit of romance. It also has a some supernatural elements to it which is really what started the plot. If you don't mind people transforming into monsters to engage in a fight, you'll love this too.
The transformation bit is a little too much for me, sorry.

Quote:
So, too episodic, instead of a focused, centralized arc?
Exactly. In Michiko to Hatchin it's also noticeable to a certain degree, but because it has a main plot and goal the characters try to reach throughout the whole series, it doesn't bother me that much.

Quote:
I actually went and watched the first two episodes of Michiko to Hatchin because I was curious. There is something that struck me as very different about it from the start -- the realistic setting. Not realistic in the sense of nothing supernatural (although that's part of it), but in it doesn't rely on any sort of strange premise. Instead, it starts with a bad real life type of situation, and it sets up a theme/question of what it means to escape that situation. I think this type of show is pretty rare.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by realistic or not, or even how accurate an impression that is, but I'm interested to know.
It doesn't necessarily have to have the motive of escaping your troubles. What I meant by "realistic setting" was something reminiscent of the real world, without any magic, superpowered badasses, and big monsters.
Old 2016-06-05, 10:31   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja666 View Post
I was actually interested in this series, but what put me off was plethora of bad reviews it got on MAL. Does this anime objectively have any noticeable problems I should be aware of, or can I just jump in without worry and ignore what people say?.
Its final episode ended on a very bad cliffhanger. I think that's why.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-05, 12:02   Link #10
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Its final episode ended on a very bad cliffhanger. I think that's why.
That's a pretty legitimate reason to get mad about if you ask me.

Any more recommendations? I've started Samurai Champloo, but so far it seems to have the same problems as Cowboy Bebop, so I'm not really enjoying it all that much. I'm willing to give up on some less important criteria if it's going to broaden my options a little.