AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2019-01-06, 21:57   Link #5721
Sheepthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
He chose Asuna over VR in volume 1, dude. This isnt a thing.
This happens again during vol 18, to Kirito his real life bonds are more important than his VR obsession. You could use the StarKing Kirito as example, he only turned full VR Kayabastyle after he lost StarQueen Asuna, so in a sense Asuna plus his friends and family* grounds Kirito.
Sheepthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-21, 14:21   Link #5722
LG-MAX 2.o

Sword Art Online Author Reki Kawahara Says Female Characters Should Not Be Treated as Trophies :https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ophies/.142337

Now it's just a matter of time for it just like the games, novels also become morally acceptable to Western standards.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-21, 14:31   Link #5723
RDNexus

I agree about the increasing female cast without a proper role to play in the overall narrative, but the SAO girls, to me, have usually been quite tough and skilled, despite the few "Damsel in Distress" moments in-between
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-21, 15:48   Link #5724
Kazu-kun

Quote:
He's talking about making it permanent and "official". Alice is the proverbial last boss in their relationship. A final obstacle before the end and nothing more.
An obstacle for Asuna which is pointless. Kirito needs an obstacle to stop fucking around.

Quote:
The point is that Alice is set up like an actual threat. None of the other girls come close to her, but Alice is coming in at a new angle. She's the last obstacle for Asuna to pass over.
And my point is that this is stupid because Asuna doesn't need a "threat." Kirito needs one.

Quote:
He chose Asuna over VR in volume 1, dude. This isnt a thing.
Yuuki warned Asuna for a reason. Kirito's number one interest is the virtual world. Asuna comes second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Sword Art Online Author Reki Kawahara Says Female Characters Should Not Be Treated as Trophies :https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ophies/.142337
Talk about being hypocritical.
Old 2019-01-21, 15:52   Link #5725
RDNexus

It's due to such feedbacks from the west that he seems intent on changing that in his stories, from now on.

Last edited by RDNexus; 2019-01-21 at 16:18.
Old 2019-01-21, 15:56   Link #5726
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
It's due to such feedbacks from the west that he's intent on changing that in his stories, from now on.
Yeah, I'm sure he will.
Old 2019-01-21, 19:34   Link #5727
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
An obstacle for Asuna which is pointless. Kirito needs an obstacle to stop fucking around.

And my point is that this is stupid because Asuna doesn't need a "threat." Kirito needs one.

Yuuki warned Asuna for a reason. Kirito's number one interest is the virtual world. Asuna comes second.

Talk about being hypocritical.
Your opinion on who should have the obstacle doesn't matter, Reki said what he said.

No, she doesn't. And Alice wouldn't even register as third on that scale, so careful with the theories there.
Old 2019-01-21, 19:39   Link #5728
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
It’s about time.

It may be too late for Alicization, but hopefully this will get him to change his writing of the girls in the future.
Old 2019-01-21, 20:18   Link #5729
Sacredus

It's ANN, it fits their social narrative. Find direct quote from that and then you can discuss this.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-22, 00:09   Link #5730
XFire
150% done

All he appears to be saying is that he's going to try and give his girl characters more agency in the narrative, which isn't really "politically correct" as much as it is better story telling since satellite characters aren't generally much fun anyway.
Old 2019-01-22, 00:15   Link #5731
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
All he appears to be saying is that he's going to try and give his girl characters more agency in the narrative, which isn't really "politically correct" as much as it is better story telling since satellite characters aren't generally much fun anyway.
This.
I never really saw this as a political/whatever thing and much more a “stop leaving the girls so pointless” thing.
Old 2019-01-22, 00:26   Link #5732
XFire
150% done

Now we just have to hope he extends the same courtesy to Klein
Old 2019-01-22, 00:32   Link #5733
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Now we just have to hope he extends the same courtesy to Klein
Who?

j/k
Old 2019-01-22, 00:53   Link #5734
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Who?

j/k
*sobs uncontrollably*
Old 2019-01-22, 03:04   Link #5735
RDNexus

Gotta agree with both of you. I also don't see this as Reki claiming to go for a "politically correct" kind of writing, but more of a more careful and skilled writing style, in which most, if not all characters end up having some sort of role in the overall narrative.
Still, this late in the game may bring up some issues, given the amount of girls in the backburner...and poor Klein...
Old 2019-01-22, 17:45   Link #5736
Applehell

It definitely sounds like being more POC to me which isn't a bad thing imo and leads better writing by default. Being POC doesn't mean you can't write about hard subjects. Just it means treating them and characters involved with gravitas they deserve and not purely as plot-device to motivate the male MC.

Quote:
It’s about time.

It may be too late for Alicization, but hopefully this will get him to change his writing of the girls in the future.
Agreed. It's too much of a relic of his old writing habits to change now, but I would imagine he will be a little thoughtful on the roles of his females character beyond, just making strong fighters.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-22, 19:05   Link #5737
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
It definitely sounds like being more POC to me which isn't a bad thing imo and leads better writing by default. Being POC doesn't mean you can't write about hard subjects. Just it means treating them and characters involved with gravitas they deserve and not purely as plot-device to motivate the male MC.
I can’t remember, did Kawahara do the writing for the Ordinal Scale movie? Because there were elements of both in that movie; Asuna losing her memories motivated Kirito to find out what was going on while Asuna just sat around being useless, but she and the other girls all got to take part in the final battle. (though I wouldn’t expect anything less in a full movie)
Old 2019-01-22, 19:11   Link #5738
RDNexus

Yes, Kawahara himself wrote the movie's script, as stated in an interview about the movie.
Old 2019-01-22, 19:37   Link #5739
Applehell

Quote:
I can’t remember, did Kawahara do the writing for the Ordinal Scale movie? Because there were elements of both in that movie; Asuna losing her memories motivated Kirito to find out what was going on while Asuna just sat around being useless, but she and the other girls all got to take part in the final battle. (though I wouldn’t expect anything less in a full movie)
I didn't watch the movie so I don't know, but that sounds fine to me. Asuna in put a comprising position isn't so much an issue as much as often it happens in the series and how active she gets to be in terms of focus despite that. If she got to play a big role in the end that quite decent start. Also not having all girls revolve Kirito and giving them their own lives and goals outside of hm would help a lot.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-01-22 at 19:56.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-24, 05:07   Link #5740
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

I thought this fit better in this thread given the recent discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
It feels kinda like this guy is overworking the “politically correct” bit for the sake of making drama, especially with the whole “losing to SJWs” line.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality