AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-01-13, 10:05   Link #1
Dr. Casey

My Wordpad documents have suddenly become shorter.

Okay, I know this is a pretty harmless problem, but it's pet peeving the hell out of me. For some reason, the text documents on my computer are shorter than they used to be. This one file I have that used to be 40 pages is suddenly 39; another that used to be 69 pages is now 67. This trend applies to every piece of writing I have, it's suddenly become a page or two shorter. Anybody know what the reason behind this might be?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 13:57   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Did you change your default font size? First thing that came to mind. Changing other attributes of page layout, line size, and whatnot could also reap the same effect.

I'm assuming you're referring to the actual number of pages in the document rather than the file byte size. MS text processors all have scary habits of mucking around with the file size of documents even when "nothing apparently has changed".

Oh... what format do you save your documents in?

(and any reason you use Wordpad instead of, say, OpenOffice?)
Old 2010-01-13, 14:23   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did you change printers or printer drivers? Word formats the document according to the default printer in use. Don't know if that's true for Wordpad.

If you're looking for a lightweight word processor, I recommend Abiword. The main page isn't accessible right now, but you can download a copy from CNET. OpenOffice Writer is good but, like Word, for many projects you don't need all those bells-and-whistles. (I like gnumeric for simple spreadsheets, too. Click here for the Windows version.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 14:38   Link #4
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Did you change printers or printer drivers? Word formats the document according to the default printer in use. Don't know if that's true for Wordpad.
So I did! It's fixed now. Thanks a lot, Seiji and Vexx, that was bugging the crap out of me. I do vaguely remember misclicking a couple of weeks ago and changing printers, but I never thought that might be the problem. I was thinking I might've changed the text size, page layout, etc. like Vexx pointed out. Which would be bad since I don't know anything about Wordpad, really, I just set the text to Size 10 Verdana and start writing.

There's no particular reason I use Wordpad, Vexx - it's just the program that I got used to as a kid (I think the only writing programs on my Windows 98 were Notepad or Wordpad, and of the two I preferred Wordpad by quite a lot); I'm interested in seeing what Abiword is like, though. I save them as .rtf files. I don't know anything about the various file types, though, I just save them as rtf because that's the default.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 17:55   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
openoffice.org > all.
Old 2010-01-14, 09:33   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I use openoffice - its a swiss army knife in terms of doodads and knobs ... but I highly recommend Abiword for people who want a tool that doesn't bury you in stuff you're unlikely to need 99% of the time.

And yeah, .rtf is probably the more "universal" format to save in. The format rarely "throws up" in most word processors.