Send a message via ICQ to DukeGaladrien
The Duke's Art Exhibition

Update: 8/11/04 CG done of the Mage-Assassin
Spoiler:

08/07/04: CG done of of the Knight
Spoiler:

08/04/04 CG done of Tsubura sketch
Spoiler:

Well I've been browsing these forums for awhile now enjoying everyone's art. As is to be expected it gave me the urge to finally pick up the old pencil again for the first time since I graduated high school (over 3 yrs ago).

Back in high school I was decidedly mediocre at art (I took one class so I know a couple of the basics), so I doubt I'm much better these days after all this time of not doing anything, but I figured it wasn't really fair for me to critique anyone else's work and not give them the opportunity to do it right back.

So view if you dare!

By the way all my stuff (not much of it yet lol) right now is pencil work, as that's all I've really ever been able to do. I took a stab at painting and found that I had absolutely no talent for that.

This first one I drew a couple of weeks ago after an anime binge of a few hours. The guy isn't really anything, I just drew and he's what came out, scarily he kinda reminds me of that evil anime naruto somewhat. note: A quickie-job on the shading.

Spoiler:

This next one I thought up the night before last. I wanted to make a character that didn't rely on brute strength, as in the past I always used to draw the guys with huge old weapons. I'm sure I'll do that again but since I just got back into drawing I decided to do a fresh idea for a fresh start. So here is my rapier-wielding courtier.

(note: I wanted to make this guy's legs just a tad longer, but I ran out of space on my 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper and didn't want to cut off his feet, ohh well)

Spoiler:

And finally since I am on an Anime forum in the Fan Art section I decided to draw a character from one of my beloved animes. So out comes Tsubura from Shura No Toki. For this one I looked at various scenes from episode 11 to reference. For those not familiar with the anime Tsubura fights unarmed. In my drawing she is supposed to be staring an opponent down while getting ready to go at it.

This one isn't shaded at all, as I'm probably gonna head over to my friend's house and use his photoshop to try out this CG thing everyone seems so fond of. (I read a little tutorial on it that got me excited about it, so hopefully I won't do too horribly).

Spoiler:

Anyway please feel free to comment and critique any and all of the pictures, I know I have a long way to go and would love to get some advice.

Last edited by DukeGaladrien; 2004-08-11 at 03:27.
DukeGaladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 14:01   Link #2
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Forsaken102 Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken102
Wow. The improvement between drawings is... impressive.

The first one:
It is good for a beginner. I would suggest working on eye placement and ear shape, along with light sources. Eye placement: To start, I would recommend drawing a straight line (vert lightly!) across his face... in roughly the center. Then, mark about where they should go, and go from there.

For the ears, you're giving us a perspective view ad if from the side, and drawing them coming straight off of his head. That kinda funkies up the perspective of his ears. I would suggest finding a few anime head shots that show ears... you'll find that one will only find a profile veiw (go figure!). Also, the ears tend to go from about the top of the eye all the way down to the just above the lips. Don't believe me? Check a mirror! It's really quite amazing how large one's ears are...

Finally, with the light sources... pick one and stick with it! Especially for beginning level. The face shows the light source coming from the right.... yet the neck, is a direct overhead... or maybe double light sources. But, this will take practice, time, and observation to perfect. Don't get discouraged!

For the Second:

Arms are a little too thick, and legs a little too short (but hey! You had an excuse! So no worries. ) Beyond that... ::thumbs up::

And for the last one:

Outstanding work! I can't WAIT to see it colored. You did excellent feet, and the fabric has some wonderful folds in it. The hands are nice, too, and the face has a great expression. The only thing that I can think of is work a bit on the hair... make it a bit more... clumpy. But, you could do that easily in PS. Good work!! ::double thumbs up!!::

I am really looking foreward to seeing more of your work. And thanks for posting!
Forsaken102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 04:41   Link #3
DukeGaladrien
Hopeless Baseball Fanatic

Hey Forsaken thanks for the reply and the tips

I worked on doing the CG of the Tsubura sketch that I promised to do and here it is:

As this was my first time messing around with photoshop and CGing the process took me something like 6 hours! Ohh well my friend and I had a bunch of fun discussing what to do

Anyways hope everyone likes it, I'm rather proud of it

Please C&C as I can use as many tips as possible.

Thanks a bunch!

~Duke

Last edited by DukeGaladrien; 2004-08-05 at 18:05.
Old 2004-08-06, 07:10   Link #4
DukeGaladrien

Knight Sketch

Well I did a sketch of a Knight in fantasy-esque armor. Still need to tweak it a bit and possibly add a background. I'm also gonna CG it when I get some time. Got a lot of family affairs to take of this weekend and a lot of work so not sure when I'll be able to do it.

Anyway... here it is at it's current state:

Old 2004-08-07, 05:57   Link #5
DukeGaladrien

OK here's my 2nd work with photoshop, the CG again took me FOREVER, but I really payed attention to detail. I think it turned out good. I only wish I had drawn the sword to look longer in the original picture, not used to drawing stuff coming at the "camera".

Please let me know what you think guys and how I can improve, still new at this stuff :/

Old 2004-08-07, 23:33   Link #6
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Beautiful artwork, especially on coloring Tsubura. I like the cell shading there, and the only suggestion I have is to try and follow the fold-outlines on the arm and leg coverings, and maybe stylize/hint at some more.

For the second one..

His left eye is a little wonkey, maybe his feet are a little big... and his hips/thighs remind me of those English Jockeys' pants... O.o

But other than that, it's good. I like the stance he's in, and I think you did a good job with perspective on the sword. When you colored him, I like the hair. You also did a good job highlighting the armor (except his chestplate is a little off!), but you may want to lighten up the shading on his chain/scale- especially on his legs. That, or change the color of his cloak. The legs tend to disappear into the cloak... giving him a really... strange... appearance.

Keep posting! I'm looking foreward to it!
Old 2004-08-08, 00:18   Link #7
DukeGaladrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken102
Beautiful artwork, especially on coloring Tsubura. I like the cell shading there, and the only suggestion I have is to try and follow the fold-outlines on the arm and leg coverings, and maybe stylize/hint at some more.

For the second one..

His left eye is a little wonkey, maybe his feet are a little big... and his hips/thighs remind me of those English Jockeys' pants... O.o

But other than that, it's good. I like the stance he's in, and I think you did a good job with perspective on the sword. When you colored him, I like the hair. You also did a good job highlighting the armor (except his chestplate is a little off!), but you may want to lighten up the shading on his chain/scale- especially on his legs. That, or change the color of his cloak. The legs tend to disappear into the cloak... giving him a really... strange... appearance.

Keep posting! I'm looking foreward to it!

Ahh you are right on the chest plate thing. Knew something was a little off there. And the dark scale I just looked at the drawing on another computer and you are right. I forget that I always have "super bright" turned on at my home computer, so the whole drawing looks a lot brighter on mine. I'll have to remember that. Might have to do a v2 on him.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it
Old 2004-08-09, 05:41   Link #8
DukeGaladrien

Well I'm currently not-so-patiently awaiting my tablet to arive (should be well.. tomorrow now looking at the time if I'm lucky, if not could be up to thursday :/) and I found I couldn't completely stay away from doing anything related to art. So I made a rough concept sketch of my next project. I'm gonna redraw and fill in the detail when I get my tablet, so this piece will end up being my pioneer work with a tablet. I have a lot of plans for this sketch, but I'm not gonna share em incase they don't pan out

So here's the rough concept sketch

Old 2004-08-09, 11:09   Link #9
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
in advance: don't be too frustrated if at first you have trouble getting used to the tablet, most people do

good luck
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 11:25   Link #10
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

(*wishes lots of luck*)

Looks good! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
Old 2004-08-09, 11:51   Link #11
DukeGaladrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxial
in advance: don't be too frustrated if at first you have trouble getting used to the tablet, most people do

good luck
Yeah I'm definately expecting some trouble with the tablet at first. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 2004-08-11, 03:14   Link #12
DukeGaladrien

Welp FedEx is sitting on my tablet, it's half an hour away from me, but as the senders sent it 3 day, FedEx damn will take 3 days no matter what. I even asked if I could go pick it up from their office and they wouldn't let me.

So that means no tablet until Thursday, and I would have gone nuts if I had to wait that long to work on this. So I altered the sketch a bit then went to work.

I decided to try a more painted look this time, tell me what you think.

1 hour sketch, 3 1/2 hour CG

Last edited by DukeGaladrien; 2004-08-11 at 03:26.
Old 2004-08-11, 03:17   Link #13
Asura
should i stay longer?

Send a message via MSN to Asura
looks nice, but would prefer if there's not an outline on the energy ball..
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 03:27   Link #14
DukeGaladrien

Hah thanks for the tip, didn't even think of that. This look better?
Old 2004-08-11, 04:09   Link #15
Asura
should i stay longer?

Send a message via MSN to Asura
better though you might want to add some light around the ball... and where the energy spikes (or so i thought the pattern is) meets the blue ball..

and after that.. eliminate all the lines j/k
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 04:19   Link #16
DukeGaladrien

Actually I would love to add some light around the ball. Just haven't really figured out how to do that very well yet. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.