AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-11-19, 09:14   Link #741
florza
一日之计在于晨

*3 121.43 *12.91 106.52 **2.00 六花の勇者

Probably wouldn't even make top 60 if not for one faction severely favouring it.
florza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 01:02   Link #742
apr
Pedestrian

Finished Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei vol 1 by Satou Tsutomu. It takes place in the year 2095, where magic has been discovered to be real, and augmented by technology, it's turned into a kind of advanced engineering field. To fully take advantage of this setting, our protagonist is, of course, a high school student with a fawning little sister and pretty girls surrounding him.

This title is surprisingly popular, having started out as a free web novel on an amateur site, where it racked up 30 million views. A publishing house noticed it and convinced the author to publish it in book form, and now it's just a matter of time until it gets animated. Not that any of this saves it from being shit.

The author has the most hardcore infodump fetish I've ever seen, making the book horrendously tedious to read. If a character is taking the train to school, he'll waste two entire pages describing how trains have evolved, including superfluous information on how the pricing differs if you occupy more seats. To make matters worse, the magic system is filled with fictitious jargon, and working through what it all means in page-long explanations on the different branches of magic or the maintenance of magical devices is worse than studying for a biology test.

I can appreciate his passion for world building, but randomly stuffing encyclopaedic paragraphs of completely made-up information into his plot is a terrible way of doing it. It would make more sense if it at least had some kind of connection to what's going on, but nope, someone uses the train, so we've got to explain the history of the train! Someone uses a mobile device, so we must describe every minute detail of these devices! Why is there no teacher in the classroom? Here's a few pages on how the school system is developing in this imaginary future! You get the picture.

As I reached the final page, it dawned on me that this volume is actually just the first half of a longer novel, so it practically ends in mid-chapter. In spite of that, I sincerely doubt I'll ever bother to get the next part, since it'd probably put me into a coma. Maybe the inevitable anime will cut down on the tedious bullshit.
Old 2012-11-30, 02:13   Link #743
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Finished Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei vol 1 by Satou Tsutomu. It takes place in the year 2095, where magic has been discovered to be real, and augmented by technology, it's turned into a kind of advanced engineering field. To fully take advantage of this setting, our protagonist is, of course, a high school student with a fawning little sister and pretty girls surrounding him.

This title is surprisingly popular, having started out as a free web novel on an amateur site, where it racked up 30 million views. A publishing house noticed it and convinced the author to publish it in book form, and now it's just a matter of time until it gets animated. Not that any of this saves it from being shit.

The author has the most hardcore infodump fetish I've ever seen, making the book horrendously tedious to read. If a character is taking the train to school, he'll waste two entire pages describing how trains have evolved, including superfluous information on how the pricing differs if you occupy more seats. To make matters worse, the magic system is filled with fictitious jargon, and working through what it all means in page-long explanations on the different branches of magic or the maintenance of magical devices is worse than studying for a biology test.

I can appreciate his passion for world building, but randomly stuffing encyclopaedic paragraphs of completely made-up information into his plot is a terrible way of doing it. It would make more sense if it at least had some kind of connection to what's going on, but nope, someone uses the train, so we've got to explain the history of the train! Someone uses a mobile device, so we must describe every minute detail of these devices! Why is there no teacher in the classroom? Here's a few pages on how the school system is developing in this imaginary future! You get the picture.

As I reached the final page, it dawned on me that this volume is actually just the first half of a longer novel, so it practically ends in mid-chapter. In spite of that, I sincerely doubt I'll ever bother to get the next part, since it'd probably put me into a coma. Maybe the inevitable anime will cut down on the tedious bullshit.
I actually agree with you regarding the overwhelming details. And the worst thing is that it's not just limited to world-building...... Though it doesn't stop me from loving it.

This is really its greatest weakness for some, but it can also be its greatest strength when used appropriately, especially for fights. At least, his knowledge in computers and physics is a lot more solid than Kawahara's knowledge about brain science. As a DM for Dungeons & Dragons for 1.5 decades, I can really appreciate the amount of details he put into the world building, rather putting the readers through great suspensions of disbelief in a futuristic setting with overly trite conveniences. Of course, I'm merely speaking for myself. Though sometimes, it can be indeed a drag when a particular portion adds little value to the plot.

All in all, it's all a matter of reader taste and preference, and bear in mind that you are just speaking for yourself when you are labeling it as shit.
Actually, from all your past criticisms on many of the popular light novels, I wonder why you are still hanging around reading light novels? The majority of light novels these days either have bad or lazy writing, bad presentation style, cliche developments, or bad this bad that. Most of us light novel readers are either amateur readers or people who enjoy an aspect of the story without concern for its flaws. You should just move on to read mainstream literature. Of course, it's just my personal thought and you have the choice to continue reading and flaming bashing criticizing as much as you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florza View Post
*3 121.43 *12.91 106.52 **2.00 六花の勇者

Probably wouldn't even make top 60 if not for one faction severely favouring it.
I read the reviews and summary in Konorano guide. Seems like an interesting fantasy that I want to pick up next year.
Note that collaborators are give higher point values, and as I recall there are only about 50 collaborators among the 1500+ survey participants.

Last edited by larethian; 2012-11-30 at 03:20.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 07:12   Link #744
florza
一日之计在于晨

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I read the reviews and summary in Konorano guide. Seems like an interesting fantasy that I want to pick up next year.
Note that collaborators are give higher point values, and as I recall there are only about 50 collaborators among the 1500+ survey participants.
The cover illustration is pretty good I must say. Haven't read it, but the illustrations inside are kind of... well, I don't really like it personally (the non-coloured illustrations).
Old 2012-11-30, 11:07   Link #745
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
All in all, it's all a matter of reader taste and preference, and bear in mind that you are just speaking for yourself when you are labeling it as shit.
Actually, from all your past criticisms on many of the popular light novels, I wonder why you are still hanging around reading light novels? The majority of light novels these days either have bad or lazy writing, bad presentation style, cliche developments, or bad this bad that. Most of us light novel readers are either amateur readers or people who enjoy an aspect of the story without concern for its flaws. You should just move on to read mainstream literature. Of course, it's just my personal thought and you have the choice to continue reading and flaming bashing criticizing as much as you like.
Of course it's subjective; that's what opinions are, surely?

I still don't feel ready to tackle proper literature at my language level. Japanese is hard, kind of thing.

Why do I keep reading shit light novels? Because I genuinely enjoy some authors, like Nishio and Takemiya Yuyuko. I know there's quality stuff out there, as long as I'm persistent enough to find it. People have different opinions, though, and I have to wade through such an enormous amount of crap to find something decent, even if it's praised to high heavens by others. ._.

Some positive reviews of previous reads:
http://ranobe.muri.se/reviews.html#bakudan
http://ranobe.muri.se/reviews.html#kizumonogatari
http://ranobe.muri.se/reviews.html#ben-to-01
http://ranobe.muri.se/reviews.html#durarara-02
http://ranobe.muri.se/reviews.html#lollypop
http://ranobe.muri.se/reviews.html#mimizuku

I'll probably try Rikka no Yuusha next, since it's on the shelf.
Old 2012-11-30, 11:27   Link #746
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Just read vol 1 of absolute duo, can't say I like it, I think i'm more on the dislike side for this book =w=
From what I recall the story is about
Spoiler for Absolute Duo:

Ah Gosh, it is that bad? I was going to read it. Thought it might Blade Dancer lite.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 04:08   Link #747
apr
Pedestrian

Light Novel sales 2012 (in number of volumes).

1. Sword Art Online (2,764,454)
2. Accel World (1,033,906)
3. Kotenbu Series [Hyouka] (767,236)
4. Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei (696,322)
5. Shinyaku To Aru Majutsu no Index (686,467)
6. High School DxD (654,224)
7. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (620,972)
8. Ore no Imouto wa Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (544,507)
9. Oda Nobuna no Yabou (450,794)
10. Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai (447,053)

Of note is that SAO and AW (#1-2) are written by the same author, Kawahara Reki.

Nishio Ishin tops the non-paperback sales at 1.4 million volumes.
Old 2012-12-03, 04:15   Link #748
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Yeah, both SAO and AW got massive boost from their Anime, though they're not the only ones- Nobuna, Kokoro Connect, Campione, Nyaruko... Even Sakurasou and Onii-Ai that were just aired manages to sneak into the top 20.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:09   Link #749
apr
Pedestrian

Fuck this. Fuck fuck fuck.

I just spent three hours on the toilet, furiously reading Rokka no Yuusha vol 1 all the way to the end. 140 goddamn pages without a break. That's how good it was. That's how hard it was to put down.

And then, fucking fuck, that fucking last page. FUCK! How the fuck can he do this to me?!

Urgh.
Old 2012-12-06, 19:53   Link #750
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Oh yeah, I heard that 6 flower heroes was really good....

Is it largely mystery or fantasy plot is more prominent?
Old 2012-12-06, 20:08   Link #751
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Of course it's subjective; that's what opinions are, surely?
-Snip-
Why do I keep reading shit light novels?
Oh dear. Well, I have no problem with your opinion and you sharing it, you could hold off on using the word "shit" right? That's my only objection to what you said. I actually enjoy the explanation, albeit I'm reading the BT translated version and thus I breeze through it all very quickly and very easily.

Quote:
Light Novel sales 2012 (in number of volumes).

1. Sword Art Online (2,764,454)
2. Accel World (1,033,906)
3. Kotenbu Series [Hyouka] (767,236)
4. Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei (696,322)
5. Shinyaku To Aru Majutsu no Index (686,467)
6. High School DxD (654,224)
7. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (620,972)
8. Ore no Imouto wa Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (544,507)
9. Oda Nobuna no Yabou (450,794)
10. Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai (447,053)

Of note is that SAO and AW (#1-2) are written by the same author, Kawahara Reki.

Nishio Ishin tops the non-paperback sales at 1.4 million volumes.
AWESOME! I'm looking forward to the anime from the AW cameos Unfortunately the other series I'm following, "Madan no Ou" doesn't seem to be doing nearly as well ..

Outlook is optimistic

Last edited by willx; 2012-12-06 at 20:22.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 20:38   Link #752
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Fuck this. Fuck fuck fuck.

I just spent three hours on the toilet, furiously reading Rokka no Yuusha vol 1 all the way to the end. 140 goddamn pages without a break. That's how good it was. That's how hard it was to put down.

And then, fucking fuck, that fucking last page. FUCK! How the fuck can he do this to me?!

Urgh.
I understand the excitement, but do you mind to hold off a little bit on the vulgar language usage? Although most of the member here is adolescent to grown up men and women, there are some member who are still quite young. We don't want the thread to be closed just because of temporary hyper-excitement right?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 11:58   Link #753
apr
Pedestrian

Spoiler for Big image:
New books arrived, let's hope they're good!
Old 2013-01-08, 12:03   Link #754
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Rokka 2 is great...it's even better than the first one.

Igneu's "introduction" to the cast being a big part of it
Old 2013-01-25, 21:08   Link #755
Allen
メインヒロイン

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata is a very fun series written by Maruto Fumiaki (the same guy who wrote White Album 2). Well, because of this it fells like I'm reading a VN in form of book. The main theme of making a normal girl (Katou Megumi) into a main heroine of a game is interesting too. The setting of their game already looks better than a lot of things out there. But the best thing is the interaction between Megumi and the MC. It has been some time since I liked the "main heroine" so much since the first volume.

Saihate no Kyuuseishu is a new series by the author of Mushi Uta. The MC looks a little like Okarin from S;G and revolves around the existence of a genius. The aspect that made me like this so much was that the heroines didn't have any appearance at the climax. In other words Saihate is like a mixture of slice-of-life (with the heroines) + a battle between "geniuses" involving the most important powers in the world (no heroines here?).
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:30   Link #756
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Has anyone here read Kaze ni mau Brigandine? I'd like to hear an opinion on it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 05:48   Link #757
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata is a very fun series written by Maruto Fumiaki (the same guy who wrote White Album 2). Well, because of this it fells like I'm reading a VN in form of book. The main theme of making a normal girl (Katou Megumi) into a main heroine of a game is interesting too. The setting of their game already looks better than a lot of things out there. But the best thing is the interaction between Megumi and the MC. It has been some time since I liked the "main heroine" so much since the first volume.

Saihate no Kyuuseishu is a new series by the author of Mushi Uta. The MC looks a little like Okarin from S;G and revolves around the existence of a genius. The aspect that made me like this so much was that the heroines didn't have any appearance at the climax. In other words Saihate is like a mixture of slice-of-life (with the heroines) + a battle between "geniuses" involving the most important powers in the world (no heroines here?).
The whole thing in Saihate no Kyuuseishu about messing himself up so he won't be the "genius" he is, is quite interesting. I had fun reading about his "break down" in vol 1, pretty fun read ^^
Old 2013-01-29, 19:52   Link #758
Athena
The Power of One

Anyone tried Strike the Blood yet? Or the Divine Blade's Successor?

I am about to start Rising Rydeen or 学戦都市アスタリスク, whatever that name might be. The latter interests me because from the illustrations I saw, it is kinda similar to IS.
Old 2013-01-29, 20:53   Link #759
Allen
メインヒロイン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Has anyone here read Kaze ni mau Brigandine? I'd like to hear an opinion on it.
I haven't read myself, but I saw some blogs and what I got was:
Spoiler for KnMB:

If you don't have problems with the setting and like harem/battle series this will probably be a good read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
The whole thing in Saihate no Kyuuseishu about messing himself up so he won't be the "genius" he is, is quite interesting. I had fun reading about his "break down" in vol 1, pretty fun read ^^
Yes, yes, I really want to see how he'll defeat the next enemies (彼自身).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Anyone tried Strike the Blood yet? Or the Divine Blade's Successor?

I am about to start Rising Rydeen or 学戦都市アスタリスク, whatever that name might be. The latter interests me because from the illustrations I saw, it is kinda similar to IS.
Rising Rydeen you can read the first chapters of the manga to get the "feeling". It's fun to see that the MC's ability is very... strange?

About 学戦都市アスタリスク (Gakuen Toshi Astalisk?) the illustrations are similar because the illustrator is the same guy: okiura.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 21:02   Link #760
florza
一日之计在于晨

Hundred: Variant Awakening is my successor for IS. Can't have a successor without a Charlotte Dunois character.

Tags
light novels