Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-21, 17:08   Link #101
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
Only episodes that I didn't like was the episode that revolved around the Russians only
Actually, I like the episode on the Russians. They're the only couple which has the woman wearing the pants so to speak, and that sets them apart as far as the dynamic of relationships are concerned. A bit too extreme perhaps, but that's to be expected since they represent the mistress/servant couple type amidst brother/sister (the Brits), lesbian (US), older woman/younger man (Shizuru and Shinobu) and whatnot.

Quote:
I wonder why out of all of the female character designs, they picked hers for the lead...
Of course Anna is the lead heroine. You have to remember this is Japan we're talking about, where childlike cute often beats mature and sexy, which can be unfair sometimes. In this respect it also makes sense why Mila's character design is the way it is with respect to her role in the story. Moreover for better or for worse, Anna's character design type is often paired with her kind of personality in anime and manga—which is somewhat annoying or predictable nowadays.
Old 2007-03-21, 18:32   Link #102
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Actually, I like the episode on the Russians. They're the only couple which has the woman wearing the pants so to speak, and that sets them apart as far as the dynamic of relationships are concerned. A bit too extreme perhaps, but that's to be expected since they represent the mistress/servant couple type amidst brother/sister (the Brits), lesbian (US), older woman/younger man (Shizuru and Shinobu) and whatnot.
The ugly sexpot (auto-fail) and her little bitch guy. (servitude =/= completely throwing your own views and will to the side) They pretty much suck.

Quote:
Of course Anna is the lead heroine. You have to remember this is Japan we're talking about, where childlike cute often beats mature and sexy, which can be unfair sometimes. In this respect it also makes sense why Mila's character design is the way it is with respect to her role in the story. Moreover for better or for worse, Anna's character design type is often paired with her kind of personality in anime and manga—which is somewhat annoying or predictable nowadays.
Except for when the cute character is the superior choice... it seems like they have more tasteless bastards over there in Japan when it comes to anime characters, and not just with the female characters either.
Old 2007-03-21, 19:01   Link #103
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
The ugly sexpot (auto-fail) and her little bitch guy. (servitude =/= completely throwing your own views and will to the side) They pretty much suck.
Actually, as odd and amusing their relationship is, that's not exactly the case. The mistress was pissed at her man for being too subservient and emotionally cold, but for the guy the greatest expression of love towards his mistress is his servitude. Ridiculous and deviant perhaps, but at the same time they're not exactly throwing their views and will to the wayside. An odd perspective, but that's them.

Also, your reasoning—sans the latter part—is exactly why they stand out for me. (Actually all the couples stand out from one another.) No damsel in distress for the Russian team, that's for sure. It's the lady who leads the way while the guy is her bitch. Leather and whip obviously included.

Quote:
Except for when the cute character is the superior choice... it seems like they have more tasteless bastards over there in Japan when it comes to anime characters, and not just with the female characters either.
True. (But I prefer Mila over Anna though.)

I think it should be obvious by now that even character designs in anime are typecasted too. Bishounen assholes, love rivals with bigger breasts...it's just getting old personally.
Old 2007-03-21, 19:04   Link #104
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I'd argue that the 2nd season's biggest flaw was balance. And while the ending itself wasn't bad, I personally prefered the Goddanar PS2 game ending.

Spoiler:

Now i want to play the game. Hope it gets ported over to the us.

Thats the kind of ending that should be use more often in Harem Animes.
Old 2007-03-21, 19:12   Link #105
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
I'd argue that the 2nd season's biggest flaw was balance. And while the ending itself wasn't bad, I personally prefered the Goddanar PS2 game ending.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously though, I'm curious. Does the PS2 game actually have multiple endings?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
Thats the kind of ending that should be use more often in Harem Animes.
Funny thing is, I think the only title I know of that actually pulled this off is --

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-21, 19:14   Link #106
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Actually, as odd and amusing their relationship is, that's not exactly the case. The mistress was pissed at her man for being too subservient and emotionally cold, but for the guy the greatest expression of love towards his mistress is his servitude. Ridiculous perhaps, but at the same time they're not exactly throwing their views and will to the wayside. An odd perspective, but that's them.

Also, your reasoning—sans the latter part—is exactly why they stand out for me. (Actually all the couples stand out from one another.) No damsel in distress for the Russian team, that's for sure. It's the lady who leads the way while the guy is her bitch. Whip and leather obviously included.
Absolute obidience without ever trying to assert your opinions at all = throwing your will out the window. (I guess that's only half true, since he's doing it by choice, but you get what I'm saying)

And the whole S&M sexpot thing really doesn't work unless its a hot woman doing it. Like I said earlier, ugly sexpot = autofail.

Quote:
True. (Personally I prefer Mila over Anna though.)

I think it should be obvious by now that even character designs in anime are typecasted too.
I really want to cheer for Mira over Anna, since she's MUCH hotter, but Mira's not much more than a plot device. They hardly develope her personality at all. (she's kind and polite and loves Goh... and that's about it)

Godannar's characters are definitely archtypical (is that even a word?), but they're better executed and more likable than they would be in your generic anime.
Old 2007-03-21, 19:35   Link #107
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Absolute obidience without ever trying to assert your opinions at all = throwing your will out the window. (I guess that's only half true, since he's doing it by choice, but you get what I'm saying)
It's like an oxymoron really. Throwing your will by choice and sticking to it. He does so even though his life will be at risk and even his mistress is somewhat against it. I get what you're saying, but I hope you're getting mine too.

Quote:
And the whole S&M sexpot thing really doesn't work unless its a hot woman doing it. Like I said earlier, ugly sexpot = autofail.
Personally her looks don't get to me that much knowing the show's overall flavor. The reason why I'm kind of defending this pair is because all the pairs are quite similar to one another. Different strokes for different folks. And that includes incest—or pseudo incest, or whatever.

Funny thing is, all these couple types is one of the things that made this show entertaining to me.

Quote:
I really want to cheer for Mira over Anna, since she's MUCH hotter, but Mira's not much more than a plot device. They hardly develope her personality at all. (she's kind and polite and loves Goh... and that's about it)
Yeah, I cheered for her too and it just wasn't because I found her more attractive than Anna. I was actually pretty stoked to see her piloting again with Goh even though it was just for a short time. She simply is a better character overall in my opinion, or at least has the potential to be one—but it was also obvious that she was meant to play the tragic role.
Old 2007-03-21, 21:58   Link #108
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:

Seriously though, I'm curious. Does the PS2 game actually have multiple endings?

Spoiler:

Funny thing is, I think the only title I know of that actually pulled this off is --

Spoiler:
You want pics? I don't think I can at the moment. I'm away out of state in university, and my PS2 is at home collecting dust. You'll have to take my words for it for now. Not to mention I've deleted the Goddanar save-file so I pretty much have to restart the whole game if I'm to get that animated video ending again. Yes, it's animated though it's pretty short.

There's no multiple endings, I believe. It's a fighting game without choices, where you play different robots depending on the anime scenario. Using Lou's Diver sucks.

Spoiler:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-03-21, 22:59   Link #109
Bloodseeker

Quote:
It's like an oxymoron really. Throwing your will by choice and sticking to it. He does so even though his life will be at risk and even his mistress is somewhat against it. I get what you're saying, but I hope you're getting mine too.

Personally her looks don't get to me that much knowing the show's overall flavor. The reason why I'm kind of defending this pair is because all the pairs are quite similar to one another. Different strokes for different folks. And that includes incest—or pseudo incest, or whatever.
Different =/= better. I didn't likke them.

And you're sure that the Brits aren't related? I don't remember them ever suggesting that...

Quote:
Yeah, I cheered for her too and it just wasn't because I found her more attractive than Anna. I was actually pretty stoked to see her piloting again with Goh even though it was just for a short time. She simply is a better character overall in my opinion, or at least has the potential to be one—but it was also obvious that she was meant to play the tragic role.
I liked that too... but then they chose not to do anything with her other than have her pilot. She does have potential to be the better character, and I wanted her to be, but they just kept her around as a plot device and left it at that.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2007-03-21 at 23:11.
Old 2007-03-22, 01:08   Link #110
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Different =/= better. I didn't likke them.

And you're sure that the Brits aren't related? I don't remember them ever suggesting that...
Well, I guess that's your opinion or your preference. It wasn't my intention to claim they're better than most of the other couples or pilots. But it just seems to me that you base your reasons around that "ugly sexpot" too much.

As for the Brits, well, aren't they? I'm not sure either, hence why mentioned incest or pseudo-incest (in other words, still thematically incest or at the very least bro/sis complex) as the driving theme to that pair. Beats me really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
You want pics? I don't think I can at the moment. I'm away out of state in university, and my PS2 is at home collecting dust. You'll have to take my words for it for now. Not to mention I've deleted the Goddanar save-file so I pretty much have to restart the whole game if I'm to get that animated video ending again. Yes, it's animated though it's pretty short.
Nah, I was just being half serious when I asked for proof. When you mentioned that the game has a different ending I was curious of what kind of game it is. Pretty cool that it ends the way it does, and I guess that's an added incentive to play it in the first place.
Old 2007-11-01, 20:59   Link #111
durack

Well, I am kinda late to the party - just finished watching the show, has been on the back burner for quite some time. Not bad at all. I wish they went into more detail on a great many things, though.

I must say that in Ekaterina's defence she looks much better when she's not wearing that flight suit - looks much better in civilian clothes.

Couple questions:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-01, 23:56   Link #112
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Couple questions:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-02, 02:02   Link #113
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Spoiler:
You don't remember the bridge bunnies?

Those were the girls that handled the technical stuff in the command center.
Old 2008-01-16, 10:06   Link #114
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:

It's been a loo~ng time, but here's your pic. Crappy camera=> tv quality, but it tells enough.

Spoiler:

Good end.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-01-16, 10:28   Link #115
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Yeah a good harem end and after that random Cgi girl from Goddanar dances for you where you can zoom in and zoom out and turn the camera all over ala Rumble Roses.
Old 2008-01-16, 13:17   Link #116
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It's been a loo~ng time, but here's your pic. Crappy camera=> tv quality, but it tells enough.
Holy... Crap!

The groom's facial expression says it all. Thanks for showing it.
Old 2008-04-02, 09:38   Link #117
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
Love Godannar. Great show, fun, with all the elements of pure FUN that you need in an anime without the total in-depth immersion that you need in other series. Sometimes, you just need a good flick...sometimes you need a sad flick...sometimes you need drama. This is just relaxation.

Still, it surprises me, with all the breasts and bouncing, that there is very little sex sex....some innuendo, certainly, and...I wonder...do Goh and Anna EVER get "some" with all the people who live in their house...all in the same room of that tiny apartment????????????

Second, any good fanficts out there?
Old 2008-07-14, 22:58   Link #118
ViewtifulAlchemist

Late to the party but I just finished Godannar after trying to catch up some missed Super Robot shows. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, was a really good throwback to the ol' days hotblooded super robot action. First season was good-great constantly while the second season was kinda iffy until the very last few episodes.

At certain times the insane b00b jiggling seem out of place but I just got used to it as it seem to be the series signature. The ending was surprisingly well done though I wish certain characters got better treatment, like Milla, Lou, the very awesome Koji, and (I guess) eternally lonely Shizuru.
Old 2008-09-05, 17:14   Link #119
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewtifulAlchemist View Post
Late to the party but I just finished Godannar after trying to catch up some missed Super Robot shows. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, was a really good throwback to the ol' days hotblooded super robot action. First season was good-great constantly while the second season was kinda iffy until the very last few episodes.

At certain times the insane b00b jiggling seem out of place but I just got used to it as it seem to be the series signature. The ending was surprisingly well done though I wish certain characters got better treatment, like Milla, Lou, the very awesome Koji, and (I guess) eternally lonely Shizuru.
I loved this series. It wasn't really serious until the second season, either. And the final episode was great!
Closed Thread