AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 32.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-10, 09:42   Link #21
Haru-kun

Forgive my ignorance but...
I don't really get this episode. Their 'force' was frozen right? So how come Satoru can still use his powers during the fight and Saki can't? This is really confusing, could someone clear this up for me?
Thanks in advance
Old 2012-11-10, 10:18   Link #22
garbage

^ PK users each have a mantra, sort of a magic spell thing they used to release their power. when the monk saw them talking to the library/minoshiro, he sealed their power and also caused them to forget their own mantrathat's why all five of them cant use their powers.

Saki was able to unlock Satoru's power because 1) she knows Satoru's mantra from a trick she used back in school with the notepad ( but take note she doesn't know her own mantra )
2) She was able to deduce that the "sealing"/"unsealing" ritual was similar or maybe even exactly the same as the coming of age ritual they have all experienced. So she just used that ritual to "give back" Satoru's mantra to him. Which is why Satoru can use cantus/PK

** it is noteworthy that Shun was able to remember his mantra on his own, BUT still unable to release his power since it required that hypnotic ritual.
Old 2012-11-10, 10:22   Link #23
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
how the other 3 kids survive when Saki and Satoru gone thru so much hell? Will they explain in the future?
I don't know the way I see it Shun and company must've managed to stay hidden while Satoru and Saki got captured.

As for Kiromaru I think it's pretty obvious that he was going to cover for them and not mention them since he isn't suppose to have any contact with PK children anyway.

This means everyone just pretend they never saw each other and all is right with the world or so they thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
** it is noteworthy that Shun was able to remember his mantra on his own, BUT still unable to release his power since it required that hypnotic ritual.
On that note Shun dose seem to be way more cleaver then we thought. This puts him on a whole different level then any of the of the other children.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-11-10 at 10:55.
Old 2012-11-10, 10:56   Link #24
ookamigirl

Lots of action this time as well.
Satoru was giving it his all, but it was exhausting.
They were lucky Kiroumaru's forced put an end to that rouge tribe.
Satoru if definitely the smarter one of the two.
It's kinda obvious that they'll never be able to fully return home without any consequences after all they now know.
The whole adventure was pretty intense and dangerous.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-11-10, 11:41   Link #25
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I inferred that Kiroumaru helped them because Satoru protected him from the exploding enemy general. But I agree that the last part of this episode moved awfully quickly, leaving out more steps in the narrative than the show previously had.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-11-10, 12:40   Link #26
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Man this episode and to some extent the whole arc kind of suffered from an issue I've noticed with a lot of A-1 pictures produced adaptations where there's clearly an effort to start blitzing through arcs creating a disjointed narrative in order to get to more meaty parts of a story. Sword Art Online, Magi and now this show are all kind of starting to suffer from this. This whole arc in the wilderness feels like it was initially planned to be a lot longer and more detailed but got cut down to about an hours worth of content overall to the detriment of being able to grasp and take in all that went on. Really quickly you have the kids splitting off from each other and getting lost, getting roped into this inter-colony war, losing and regaining their cantus, bumbling around and doing a few things to help out the queerats, introducing another colony faction and then suddenly stumbling back into contact with each other and then immediately being back home within a couple minutes of doing so. Hopefully it doesn't cause problems for whatever is to come in the future. It feels like this arc could have lasted at least 6 episodes, but was about half that time.

I'm usually not one that likes to claim "ZOMG Rushed!" all that often, but it's hard not to notice some of the more awkward transitions this arc and how it feels like there were things that were supposed to have happened in-between some events to lead the characters into the situations they find themselves in. It's also becoming increasingly obvious that they probably don't have a enough time to do proper exposition in the show so a lot of key events that probably had a lot of dialogue and fleshing out in the novel are being handled as visual metaphors to get the point across. Fortunately this is one tactic I think has worked for the show so far, I just hope it holds up. How they handle the next arc of the show is probably going to play a big part in deciding whether this show becomes something special this season or just another solid intrigue piece on a season that has quite a few that are starting to pull a little ahead of it on that front simply by having a little better pacing and more concise world building.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-11-10 at 12:52.
Old 2012-11-10, 13:32   Link #27
kuromitsu

I just caught up with the series after missing some episodes, so I think everything has been said already... just one thing, though: it's getting really difficult to take the bakenezumi seriously. Maybe it's the way they look, maybe it's the clichéd samurai-esque outfit Kiroumaru had in this episode (seriously, come on, it's rat people 1000 years in the future!), maybe it's the sheer impossibility of speaking perfectly pronounced Japanese while obviously not having the mouth and teeth shapes for it (okay, this is probably just nitpicking but I find it jarring)... Anyway, I'm glad the show seems to be moving away from them for at least a little while.

Another weird thing in this episode was Satoru randomly realizing how weird it was that kids kept disappearing from school. I thought there was some sort of memory manipulation going on, but apparently not? They just never cared when someone went missing? o_o) Did I miss something?

Also, I agree with Kaioshin Sama about the whole mini-arc feeling sort of rushed - it wasn't that bad I think, but many of the scene transitions were pretty awkward. Then again, I suppose the entire point of the arc was to introduce viewers to the world of the bakenezumi, and it did a good job on that. I guess it's not the anime's fault that the whole "rat people" thing is pretty hard to swallow.

Ah well, aside of all these, the show is still great, and I look forward to the timeskip and the changes it brings. (Ha, finally Shun and Satoru have their "who is the alpha male here, anyway" fight?)
Old 2012-11-10, 14:18   Link #28
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Yeah I gotta say that while I really loved the first 5 episodes of this show, these last two have felt strangely disjointed and lack the impact of its first 5. Probably the weakest of the show so far and am pretty disappointed with the cutting and splicing directing that transitions abruptly TOO much.

There were at least 3-4 times this episode that skipped ahead and I felt like I had walked out of the room for a minute. I am still able to follow the story, but it definitely isn't smooth and less enjoyable for me

It's a shame because it was the direction and cinematography that really sold on this show, and those two things severely dropped in quality these last two episodes.
Old 2012-11-10, 14:23   Link #29
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
The storytelling problems are more likely caused by Sogo Masashi who is responsible for the series composition. In the past he has responsible for Fairy Tail, Bleach and Gantz (among others), and older viewers should remember very well how the last one was butchered (like Shin Sekai yori for understandable reasons), while the former two is probably what he wanted to turn the original story into

Anyway, all these problems shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, changing the theme of the novel was obvious pretty early that will make things harder, it's just that the episode directors were doing a better job during the first episodes.

Nonetheless, I hope that as the characters become older and kids fail to follow the "story", those understandable reasons will be a lessened inhibition in using the original story and developing the characters, instead of animating "Bleach fillers" in an interesting setting

PS/EDIT: I can only remember one show that had such atrocious transitions from novel chapter to chapter... KoreZon S1

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-11-10 at 14:25. Reason: PS
Old 2012-11-10, 15:04   Link #30
kuromitsu

One of these days I'm going to buy the novel someplace that doesn't kill my wallet for shipping and handling, and read it to see if it's really full of explicit sex. (Considering the Amazon reviews for the manga that were written before the anime started airing, I'm inclined to believe the opposite...)

I agree though that the anime adaptation of Bleach sucked. (It wasn't even the fillers, it was... everything. The only good thing that came out of the anime were a few of the seiyuu who were great in their roles. And the music was pretty good, too.)
Old 2012-11-10, 15:47   Link #31
Malkuth
Banned

@Kuromitsu: I have to wait only 3 weeks to evade the shipping and import robbery But, to the point, it's not full of explicit sex, but it should be clear to everyone by now and only by watching the anime (ignoring synopsis, reviews and spoilers) that most of the romance (the driving force behind character development and rough entry into adulthood) devolved in the anime adaption to something that Schauble's, Romney's or Ishihara's fangirls can watch without remembering undealt personal traumas... we had NoitaminA for them

PS: Bleach is not the type of anime or manga, I would normally watch or read, but since I unfortunately did... it wasn't that bad until everyone got revived before the vampire arc

PS2: The fact that the juvenile visual adaption exists though, is an excellent promotion (for me) to read the original, which is usually the case with these overpriced advertisements we call anime
Old 2012-11-10, 15:56   Link #32
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
but it should be clear to everyone by now and only by watching the anime (ignoring synopsis, reviews and spoilers) that most of the romance (the driving force behind character development and rough entry into adulthood)
I don't think romance is much of a driving force here though. As of now the only hint of genuine romance (instead of just sex drive) I see is that of Shun and Saki, and it's very low key. Besides, we don't know how much this is going to play into their character development and growth. We don't even know if they'll get to become adults at all actually. Most of them could die at any moment now.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-11-10 at 16:11.
Old 2012-11-10, 16:22   Link #33
Malkuth
Banned

@Kazu-kun: romance is not sex drive (can be, but not always, particularly in popular media)

As for becoming adults next episode, they obviously won't (being back in the academy, et al according to the preview), but at least they are a little older, so some viewers won't freak out as much again (here in the forum too)

Generally, up until now, apart from the obvious to most (I hope) continuity errors, character development is forced (skipping understandably controversial material), and I talk about Saki with both Satoru and Shun (and the boys themselves, as the preview implied)... it does not follow the setting (as presented in the anime, particularly the 4th episode which tried to narrate some of the skipped character development), Maria and Mamoru are completely ditched, in order not to provoke some very annoying manga-fanboys (fangirls in the west)... dunno, I have the feeling that if I manage to read the novel, next month what I have written thus far for the anime would be too kind

It's like a NoitaminA anime, since this season that accursed zone has decent anime, and A-1 tries to cover the gap for OLs
Old 2012-11-10, 16:40   Link #34
kuromitsu

Quote:
@Kuromitsu: I have to wait only 3 weeks to evade the shipping and import robbery But, to the point, it's not full of explicit sex, but it should be clear to everyone by now and only by watching the anime (ignoring synopsis, reviews and spoilers) that most of the romance (the driving force behind character development and rough entry into adulthood) devolved in the anime adaption to something that Schauble's, Romney's or Ishihara's fangirls can watch without remembering undealt personal traumas... we had NoitaminA for them
I'm watching the anime but I don't see any of what you're talking about. For one, there's romance in the anime all right - Saki's feelings for Shun are very obvious, as is Satoru having a thing for Saki. But these are young kids. I imagine the topic is going to come up more often after the timeskip when they're proper teenagers.

Even from the anime only it really doesn't seem like romance (or even sex) is the main driving force behind anything here so far. (And even in our world it's not exactly the only thing that marks entry into adulthood...) Just watching the anime it doesn't seem to be watered down at all in this area, which may be due to skillful writers, or most likely, due to not having a whole lot to water down in the first place. (Also, this is a late night anime, there's absolutely no reason to water anything down, including sex and nudity.)

Looking around on the internet, people are saying that so far the anime has been pretty faithful to the novel (and that the manga contains many diversions and original material). Obviously it can't be 100% faithful because it's an adaptation from book to anime, by people who are not the original author, but if those who have read the novel are happy with the anime so far I have no reason not to believe them.
Old 2012-11-10, 16:45   Link #35
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

And before the thread gets dragged (once again) into novel comparison, I'll remind everyone that we do have other threads for it. Leave this thread for current episode discussion, take the meta stuff to the other threads.
Old 2012-11-10, 17:17   Link #36
Kazu-kun

Quote:
@Kazu-kun: romance is not sex drive
That was my point.
Old 2012-11-10, 17:26   Link #37
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
And before the thread gets dragged (once again) into novel comparison, I'll remind everyone that we do have other threads for it. Leave this thread for current episode discussion, take the meta stuff to the other threads.
I didn't notice... (the subforum happened while I was away) Anyway, I'll just take what I found there.
Old 2012-11-10, 18:13   Link #38
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Another weird thing in this episode was Satoru randomly realizing how weird it was that kids kept disappearing from school. I thought there was some sort of memory manipulation going on, but apparently not? They just never cared when someone went missing? o_o) Did I miss something?
I thought we talked about this in one of the previous episode threads?

It's not that anyone didn't know or cared they were all to afraid to talk about it publicly. Think back to when Saki and her mother in their garden.
Old 2012-11-10, 18:41   Link #39
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

They shouldn't have trusted Squealer so much; it's a miracle they're still alive.
Old 2012-11-10, 19:12   Link #40
Grey

Wooo! I thought episodes 5 and 6 were a bit iffy. But now it seems like we're back in action.

It's a bit weird that they went back to the village after being worried about Kiroumaru getting execution orders from the Ethics Committee. Did they think the village would figure out nothing? I could understand if they just sneaked in and out to get their mantras, but returning as if everything was normal is a bit weird.

Time skip! And the preview makes me wonder if maybe the five kids are real dangers and should have been weeded out. That would be an ironic twist.
Closed Thread