AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-01-01, 10:43   Link #1
Dextro
He Without a Title

Post Collectible Card Games

So I've searched through this forum and only found one thread about one Collectible Card Game that turned into an all out discussion about whether people who play CCGs are middle aged man with pizza stained shirts or not (*sigh*) but since I kind of like the subject and I don't really believe that this is true (even if it does represent a portion of the player base unfortunately) I decided to try and start this thread.

For those that don't know what a CCG is let me explain: CCGs are card games where you collect cards and build decks with such cards to play against other people. Probably the most notorious examples of card games are Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh but there are plenty of other games around, some more and some less complex.

So this thread is for people to share what games they play (if any) and why.

I'll kick it off: I personally played magic way back when I was a kid but the game turned out to be too expensive for me so I quit. When I got to college I found a stable playgroup of CCG and RPG players and started playing Vampire. I've also player the cardgame for Lord of The Rings but that game died and I was recently getting very interested in UFS, a cardgame about fighting games (like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, King of Fighters...) but that seems to have died with the new years as well...

Well, what about you guys?
Old 2010-01-01, 11:16   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I had a thread on Magic: the Gathering that I started somewhat recently here. I only managed to find 2 or 3 people actually interested in any sort of discussion though and it felt like I was talking to myself a good portion of the time so I kinda just let it die.

I've been fairly curious about the Weiβ Schwarz anime card game for a long time and it seems like people are actually translating them, so I could probably play that if I wanted. Only issue is I don't think I'd have anyone at all to play against. Does anyone have any experience at all with this game?
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 13:56   Link #3
TrueCaptain

I have a CCG collection but I have never played a Trading Card Game in my life, I just purchased a pack one day a few years ago and I fell in love with the cards and I have been building my collecting ever since. Most of the CCG's I have collected have been based on anime or some kind of animated series, all except for World of Warcraft are based on some kind of animation, I will list below the different series I have cards from.......

Yugioh
World of Warcraft
Naruto
Ben 10
Ben 10: Alien Force
Chaotic
Chaotic: Marillion Invasion
Huntik
Pokemon

I have 5 or 6 binders full of cards with 1 or 2 binders which hold only the rare ones or chase cards, I have accumilated some really rare and highly valuble cards over the past couple of years, yet I have never played a game or plan on playing a game in my life. I have not bought a pack in a couple of months, but I am sure I will see something to buy in the near future, I just need the nudge of something that catches my eye.
TrueCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 21:37   Link #4
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
I got Magic, Yugioh, Pokemon, Digimon, and I think a few Star Wars laying around. I remember in 5th grade, there was a Harry Potter CCG and I remember the Baseball card fad.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 22:01   Link #5
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I remember the old Decipher Star Wars CCG being so complicated that my friend and I just gave up trying to figure it out. It wasn't really an issue of being new to games either as we were both Magic players at the time. And this was just the intro pack without any of the really complicated stuff like vehicles and ships. Was also extremely unbalanced with the empire deck being strictly better than the rebel deck in absolutely every aspect, and I remember hearing that in the actual game outside of the intro pack it was pretty much the same. True to the source material sure but it doesn't translate well into a game that's supposed to be fun for both players. I had tons of those cards at one point yet never actually played a single game with anything except the intro pack.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, ccg, games, wizards