AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-14, 19:03   Link #221
Echoes

I'm a bit disappointed by the first episode, but mostly because my impression of the first season was so high. As a stand-alone thing, it's not looking too bad. Henrietta acts a lot cuter. That's not really a good thing, but it's nice to see here smile more often.
Old 2008-01-14, 23:45   Link #222
Cal-Reflector

Episode two was a nice step up from episode one in several regards. I'm gradually training myself to avoid comparing the two seasons and watch this one as it, and it's not bad at all. Pace of the story however was surprisingly slow though... as in the progress. This means however that the next episode ought to focus on Triela-Hilschire and a serious fight scene.

The manga faithful will note that some violent scenes were not recreated; Pinochio's flash back was far less "messy," and Franka did not make an unpleasant discovery while looking for something to drink in the fridge (maybe that'll happen next episode).

Perhaps out of personal preference, I'm still getting used to the sharper art style; Franka and Franco look just fine, as does Pino. The screen executions and music and the general flow of the show seemed much improved.

We'll see how they handle the (hopefully) climatic episode three.
Old 2008-01-15, 00:48   Link #223
USCPharmacist

Episode 2 actually not bad, so there may still hope to this series yet. Although it is clear that it'll not rise to season 1 level.

BTW did they just "beautify" everyone? I didn't remember Franca looked that good, lol.

P.S. Angelica lives!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by USCPharmacist; 2008-01-15 at 01:51.
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 00:49   Link #224
Verist
KDF Kallen Defense Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
True, but I just saw first episode.

She loads a shotgun but shoots a rifle bullet.

Man Artland let the realism of this series go to crap.
Yea, I thought the same thing to... Didn't look like a slug... looked like Buckshot. But ballistics acted like slug. At first I let it slid, but after I thought about it, a series that takes great pride in accuracy kinda blew it on this one.
Verist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 09:08   Link #225
lftwgr

I am happy there is a new season, but after watching the first episode, I thought that it didn't really live up to the standards established by the first season.

Where have all the angst gone to? I always thought Gunslinger girl was about how all the girls were trying to make the best of their tragic lives and to survive against all odds, something which can be seen in the last episode where they sang Ode to Joy under the stars as Angelica 'died.' Maybe it's still too early to tell, but the atmosphere in the new season is a little too gung ho and cheery for my tastes. Take Henrietta's unrequited love for example. There was a scene in the old season where she needed some pushing from Triela to ask for a favor for the holidays. Maybe it was the music and lighting that set the mood, but I actually felt for her. Now when she worries over the kaleidoscope I'm pretty much indifferent.

I know it wasn't possible to get the same seiyus for this gig, but some of the leads are performing out of character. Take Jean/Rico for example. Rico having some play time while on the job is sheer heresy! Firstly, I thought she was the one who was perpetually stoned on 'conditioning' so that the concept of 'fun' is meaningless to her. Secondly, from what I recall, the Jean/Rico fratello was sometimes abusive, and it was uncharacteristic of Jean to let her off with just a warning.

The same applies to Hilshire, who I thought was a stereotypical German with problems expressing his fondness for Triela. Turns out they've given him some of Jose's happy juice.

Count me in as part of the camp that finds this season weird. If the next 4 episodes doesn't improve things, then I'm definitely dropping this.
lftwgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 12:38   Link #226
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Finally got around to the first episode. Its been so long since i say the first season but i might have to go back and do a recap. For some reason a lot of the characters personalites seemd off. Henrietta still had her girly crush on Jose but even Rico and Triela did really seem right to me. Over all i was a bit disappointed in the first episode, except for Triela putting a giant hole with an shotgun in that guys chest splattering her self blood.

hopefully it will get better by episode 5.
Old 2008-01-16, 18:42   Link #227
vorpal83

Yeah, same response as most her, what the hell is up with those char designs? Rico especially, she just doesn't seem human. Henrietta's expression is so different too.

At least ep 2 seems better, and hopefully the series will get better with time.
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 01:57   Link #228
chamelean75

I dunno what happen to Rico in episode 1...................................... was she high??????
chamelean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 04:04   Link #229
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode two was a lot stronger than episode one, it seemed to me. Slow but dark.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 22:31   Link #230
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Ep1 was more introductory and full of QUALITY. Ep2 wasn't that bad by far, I thought
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 15:37   Link #231
LucidLucifer
LucidLucifer

Send a message via MSN to LucidLucifer
I've enjoyed season 2 so far. My only complaint would be the voice acting. I'm soo used to listening to their voices that these new actors kinda ruine dthe experience a little bit. I am pleased that the animators are keeping to the manga story though. How many eps are going to be in this series?
LucidLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 15:39   Link #232
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidLucifer View Post
I've enjoyed season 2 so far. My only complaint would be the voice acting. I'm soo used to listening to their voices that these new actors kinda ruine dthe experience a little bit. I am pleased that the animators are keeping to the manga story though. How many eps are going to be in this series?
13 episodes + 2 DVD episodes

And I heard the author (Yu Aida) didn't really like the first season very much for some bizarre unknown reason. She has a lot more say in this second season, and so she might have wanted the characters to sound like they do now...
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 16:22   Link #233
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragosmore View Post
And I heard the author (Yu Aida) didn't really like the first season very much for some bizarre unknown reason. She has a lot more say in this second season, and so she might have wanted the characters to sound like they do now...
Where did you read this?

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 16:24   Link #234
Deathbringer_37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragosmore View Post
13 episodes + 2 DVD episodes

I find that very hard to believe since he also helped in the making of the first season.
Deathbringer_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 16:46   Link #235
dfens

Why do people keep calling him a she. Aida is male as far as we know. His name Yutaka or shortend to Yu is a male japanese name.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 17:50   Link #236
USCPharmacist

Episode 3 was not too bad either....except the fight scene sucks donkey's A#$#$ [sigh]. Everyone must be under holy freeze or something, moving at snail speed....
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 04:00   Link #237
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

I am so surprised how no one really cares much about this series, simply due to the Moe effect. I wrote in my thoughts in the blog about the "moe" art style.

Quote:
I will be probably the first person to say that the artwork makes the show better. It is perhaps a very different style, perhaps more moe for the casual viewer. However, thinking of it, isn’t Gunslinger Girl a story about irony? It seems like the art style is very innocent and somewhat not applicable for a series. Yet, the drawing seems to indicate the sense of innocence that the little girls are, yet the things and actions that they have been conditioned to do are anything but innocent.

The art style complements the story in the irony that the girls are facing. The innocence is stained by the worldly shady demands of the government, yet the stain is not apparent to the girls. I can understand the cognitive dissonance that the viewers of Gunslinger Girl will feel. I have the exact reaction like some of you when I saw the first episode. It feels very strange since the first season is more melancholic, with a strong touch on realism on the art style. However, with a bit of thinking, it probably captures the feel of the original author, one of innocence and irony embattled in this intense story.
That said, I made a summary of episode 3 on my blog if anyone is interested.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 05:56   Link #238
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
I am so surprised how no one really cares much about this series, simply due to the Moe effect. I wrote in my thoughts in the blog about the "moe" art style.
Well, the issue has already been brought up before and my stance regarding the new art style hasn't changed since then. That's not irony; it's merely superficial dissonance and it does not contribute at all to the mood of the story.
Spoiler:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 18:27   Link #239
Mimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbringer_37 View Post
I find that very hard to believe since he also helped in the making of the first season.
he helped in the making of the first season, but he's far more involved in the new one: screenplay,supervision...
it seems like we wanted to "control" the adaptation of his manga.
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 07:53   Link #240
LucidLucifer
LucidLucifer

Send a message via MSN to LucidLucifer
I would agree, however I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little uncomfortable with his choice of voice actors. Although I'm wrapped that their calling Triela, TRIELA, instead of Trielo like in the first season (English Dub atleast).
LucidLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, loli, seinen