AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-09-28, 20:18   Link #21
Top Sergeant

Poodicus, your idea of a pre-WWI story got me thinking about what it might be like if, everything else being the same, the Gate appeared in Tokyo right after the Boxer Rebellion or maybe right after the Russo-Japanese War. I think the second scenario would be the most interesting. The fight in the Ginza Plaza (which didn't exist back then) could instead be a siege of the Imperial Palace with a last-minute relief force arriving to defeat the Empire.
Old 2015-09-29, 08:51   Link #22
The 48th Ronin

One major problem would be weapons. Are there any potential anti-dragon weapons during that time?
Old 2015-09-29, 09:45   Link #23
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
One major problem would be weapons. Are there any potential anti-dragon weapons during that time?
No, the most powerful weapons back then were artillery and gas.

Tanks and planes were relatively new and not advanced enough.

Aldo there would be much more infantry involved.
Old 2015-09-29, 16:14   Link #24
BlueWay
Special Region Soldier

I have a little something something brewing.

Nothing big though:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1146617...nifest-Destiny
Old 2015-09-29, 16:19   Link #25
Poodicus
The One and Only

Depending on what year it would be, there could be anti-aircraft weapons, but they would only be able to reach about 300-500 meters at best, and depending on the country, would be either a gattling gun type weapon designed to shoot up rather than forward (Flaming Onion AA weapon), or a cannon, again, designed to shoot up rather than forward (British made QF 1-pounder pom-pom)

Incredibly small list of weapons used as Anti-Air in World War 1

Last edited by Poodicus; 2015-09-29 at 16:51.
Old 2015-09-29, 18:05   Link #26
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWay View Post
I have a little something something brewing.

Nothing big though:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1146617...nifest-Destiny
Been reading the fanfic. I enjoy it since it gets rid the author's bias agenda and shows what would happen if the US and Japan together go through the Gate.

Keep it up.
Old 2015-09-29, 20:43   Link #27
The 48th Ronin

Nice to see you here, BlueWay. Been a fan of your GATE fic for a while. Keep up the good work.
Old 2015-09-29, 21:52   Link #28
BlueWay
Special Region Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Been reading the fanfic. I enjoy it since it gets rid the author's bias agenda and shows what would happen if the US and Japan together go through the Gate.

Keep it up.
Thanks, and the bias is still there purposefully. Only this time we're not only seeing it through an American lens, there are Americans there to do something about it. I would like to see how GATE's creator would react to this thing.

Quote:
Nice to see you here, BlueWay. Been a fan of your GATE fic for a while. Keep up the good work.
Thanks.

Not really a fan of anime in general, but the idea of GATE was enough for me to go in, see what was wrong, and think "What would a Generation Kill lens do to this story?"

Apparently people enjoy it. Or, at least, enjoy the trainwreck that is forming. I'll admit, I can't wait to see what responses I get when the JSDF absolutely trainwrecks itself.
Old 2015-10-03, 17:57   Link #29
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
No, the most powerful weapons back then were artillery and gas.

Tanks and planes were relatively new and not advanced enough.

Aldo there would be much more infantry involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodicus View Post
Depending on what year it would be, there could be anti-aircraft weapons, but they would only be able to reach about 300-500 meters at best, and depending on the country, would be either a gattling gun type weapon designed to shoot up rather than forward (Flaming Onion AA weapon), or a cannon, again, designed to shoot up rather than forward (British made QF 1-pounder pom-pom)

Incredibly small list of weapons used as Anti-Air in World War 1
With regard to the WWI weapons vs the Flame Dragon. The AA guns might be able to damage its eyes, wings, or other weak points, but might not pierce the hide, which is thick enough to make it a flying tank.

As for directly slaying the dragon, in WWI, there were weapons that would do the trick, including a variety of howitzers- not sure if the 75mm (3 inch) which was the standard light artillery would do much, but there would be heavier weapons- 4.5, 6, and 8 inch heavy artillery all the way up to superheavy mortars and converted battleship guns (12-16 inch caliber), often mounted on rail cars.

So, there would be artillery capable of killing the Flame Dragon, but it wouldn't exactly be easy to move around. Best option would be to pre-position the heavy guns in place, lure the dragon to them, then use massed AA to shred its wings and force it to the ground, before finishing it off by throwing everything- howitzers, mortars, heavy railway guns, early tanks, gas, and anything they have at it.
Old 2015-10-09, 03:02   Link #30
Brother Coa
Banned

This would make for very nice fanfiction:

"The situation is as follows. Tomorrow morning, a magical gate abruptly opens right in the middle of a heavily populated city. Out storms a bunch of fantastical creatures and fifty thousand or so heavy infantry armored and trained like roman legionnaires. Initial civilian casualties are awful but the invasion is repelled by nightfall and the gate secured at both ends.

The political situation on the other side of the gate is an "invincible" empire with no local threats, led by a "divine emperor" completely divorced from reality (i.e. he thinks the loss of a fifth of his standing army before they even managed to get within striking range is inconsequential, and that the enemy will be defeated anyway). The empire is populated by the usual fantasy peoples - dwarves, elves, orcs, dragons, you name it, with the usual racial tensions. Dragons are assholes - well armored assholes, whose scales are proof against anything less than HEAT warheads, and will very occasionally maraud civilian settlements. The world in question does not correspond to any particular fantasy world, so there is no "book intel" available.

Now, the books puts the initial portal right in the middle of Tokyo. I'd like to explore not only what the forum thinks a more realistic take on that would be, but also what would have happened if the initial portal was opened in:

* Central Park, New York City
* The Mall, Washington DC
* Temple Mount, Jerusalem
* Brandenburger Tor, Berlin
* Tian An Men Square, Beijing
* Red Square, Moscow
* All of the above, including Tokyo

How would each nation handle the situation, both regarding what they do on the other side, and internationally? How would the rest of the world realistically respond to the situation?

Edit: I chose these locations because they're all (except Central Park) fairly close to active duty military formations that can be called in to beat the invasion back, and also similar in nature to the original Ginza site, being close to the seat of government. The US locations are the only ones that don't have a large historical fortification of some type nearby, unless you count the Pentagon. Also, Russia would probably beat the invaders down the swiftest, seeing as they have a whole bunch of stuff in town right now preparing for the V-E day parade..."

So instead of only JSDF we would have IDF, USA, Russia, EU and China all invading at the same time.
Old 2015-10-09, 04:23   Link #31
The 48th Ronin

The Empire is screwed. The victorious powers are going to turn in into Africa 2.0.
Old 2015-10-21, 12:08   Link #32
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's an crossover idea.

Gate and Jin-Roh.

Set in an AU where Germany defeated the Soviets and conquer Japan during WW2 thanks to Protect Gear, the badass power armor you in the Jin-Roh posters, the fanfic will be set during the 1960s/1970s during an economic boom and political turmoil.

The story begins where the Government is planning to disband the Kerberos Unit, the special police force that uses Protect Gear, due to the unit's bad publicity's of using excessive force against criminals and anti-government terrorists, something that Public Security Division, the other special police unit and Kerberos' rival, would love to see.

Just when it seems like disbandment is inevitable, the Ginza incident happens. The Empire forces causes lot of damage and deaths, not helping when the Government delays sending help as the Empire are killing anti-government protesters too, something the Government is all to happy to see. When they finally do send help, they send Public Security, who are so unprepared and inexperienced, they suffer massive causalities. With no other choice, the Kerberos Unit is called in to deal with the Empire which they succeed with brutal efficiency.

Thanks to the Ginza incident, the Kerberos Unit are hailed as saviors and their disbandment canceled. Hoping to find the people responsible for the Ginza attack and find resources in the Special Region, the Kerberos Unit along with some army teams are sent through the Gate.

Also, Itami in this fanfic is a former Army Protect Gear user and Panzer Cop.
Old 2015-10-21, 12:34   Link #33
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Long "Gate opening in multiple countries" plot synopsis
Funnily enough, that was one of the sub-plots I was thinking about with my Madan no Ou to Vanadis crossover- where the Gate opens to Zchted (and the rest of the unnamed world in Madan No Ou to Vanadis) of the Special Region:

In the canon Madan No Ou To Vanadis novels, you have Valentina Glinka Estes, an ambitious young noblewoman bent on taking the throne, with the personality which is about what you'd get if Kurumi Tokisaki and Cersei Lannister ended up trapped together in one body! And she also happens to have a magic scythe that can cut holes in space time and create a portal to any location she can picture in her mind.

Now, with that in mind, I was going to Valentina find out that there happens to be a powerful country on Earth whose language is practically identical to that of Zchted, and who might be willing to make her queen in exchange for access to Zchted's untapped oil and mineral reserves.

Yes, that's right, she creates a portal to bring the Russians in on the action, which of course forces the Japanese to allow a US-led NATO coalition enter the Gate to support the JSDF in case of a possible confilct, dividing the Vanadis world into two spheres of influence, while there is a tense standoff between the two sides. Not sure I can really call it that much of a crossover with Vanadis as all of the Vanadis cast are quickly reduced to pawns or terrified observers as the world they knew literally becomes the center of Cold War 2.0- even Valentina might be in for a lot more than she bargained for...
Old 2015-10-21, 18:08   Link #34
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Long "multi-gate" scenario
It might also be interesting to put a few gates in some other cities that are only moderately sized, and seem almost random. Perhaps even some literal Easily Defeated Aliens in Cardiff!
Old 2015-10-22, 01:59   Link #35
The 48th Ronin

What if the Gate opens in Mars?
Old 2015-10-22, 02:44   Link #36
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
.... the Empire soldiers die from suffocation or onslaught of humanoid cockroaches, obviously.
Old 2015-10-22, 04:16   Link #37
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
They face the Martians of DC comics, the races of John Carter of Mars or meet Matt Damon.
Old 2015-10-22, 06:39   Link #38
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler for Big photo:
Old 2015-10-23, 09:17   Link #39
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Another random fanfic idea, this one I'll admit is a bit of a wish fulfillment fic:
Spoiler for Manga Spoiler:
Old 2015-10-24, 00:02   Link #40
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Another random fanfic idea, this one I'll admit is a bit of a wish fulfillment fic:
Spoiler for Manga Spoiler:
Spoiler for Reply: