AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-10-01, 03:53   Link #20161
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
Yuki's is just needs a change of pronouns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hmm. I dunno. His name doesn't exactly mean "snow" anymore, the way it's pronounced.
Hm... possible meanings of "yuuki" as a word are:
  • courage; bravery; valour; valor; nerve; boldness
  • ghost; revenant; spirit (of the dead); departed soul
  • definite period or term
  • organic
  • evocation; evoke

I'm sure we could come up with something.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 04:02   Link #20162
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Hm... possible meanings of "yuuki" as a word are:
  • courage; bravery; valour; valor; nerve; boldness
  • ghost; revenant; spirit (of the dead); departed soul
  • definite period or term
  • organic
  • evocation; evoke

I'm sure we could come up with something.
We went with the "courage" defintion for how to write his name but since Yuki's isn't actually written as "snow" either...

Quote:
ghost; revenant; spirit (of the dead); departed soul
You know. Given the context of Yuki's original story and the genre Yuuki is given (sci-fi horror)... yeah, I think we're going with this one.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 04:18   Link #20163
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
We went with the "courage" defintion for how to write his name but since Yuki's isn't actually written as "snow" either...
So I guess his name is 勇気 now. Well, this is suppose to be a female name. But I guess it don't really matter. EDIT- By the way, remember the name don't really need to be a word. Yuki's name, that is many times translating as 'having hope' is actually just 'possess' and 'hope'. Forming no actuall word when together (tough it is easy think in a meaning).

Quote:
You know. Given the context of Yuki's original story and the genre Yuuki is given (sci-fi horror)... yeah, I think we're going with this one.
I tought the same thing. But how he was named afer spirits? He was phiosophing about he being a gost and then named himself? He story seens to be even more lonely then Yuki's them. He names himself out of he own loneless.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 04:21   Link #20164
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

TRAGIC HEROES ARE AWESOME!

Or something like that.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-10-01, 04:21   Link #20165
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
So I guess his name is 勇気 now. Well, this is suppose to be a female name. But I guess it don't really matter.
Valor/bravery is a female name?

Since when are these classically feminine qualities? Where are you getting this information from?

Quote:
tought the same thing. But how he was named afer spirits? He was phiosophing about he being a gost and then named himself? He story seens to be even more lonely then Yuki's them. He names himself out of he own loneless.
I was thinking he would have named himself "ghost" out of spite/a sense of irony.

And yes, that does make him even more lonely than Yuki. Honestly, I think all he really needs is a hug.

Plus I can probably use that for Alter Yuuki, whose personality we never really ironed out...

Quote:
TRAGIC HEROES ARE AWESOME!
And now Dub Yuuki has to be voiced by Yuri Lowenthal. Thank you for that.
Old 2009-10-01, 04:26   Link #20166
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:

Since when are these classically feminine qualities? Where are you getting this information from?
Possibly this website.

Quote:
And now Dub Yuuki has to be voiced by Yuri Lowenthal. Thank you for that.
... Damn it... though... I suppose it would make Tsuji projects unintentionally hilarious, given the usual relationship characters voiced by Lowenthal and Freeman tend to have.
Old 2009-10-01, 04:35   Link #20167
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
... Damn it... though... I suppose it would make Tsuji projects unintentionally hilarious, given the usual relationship characters voiced by Lowenthal and Freeman tend to have.
I looked on Wikipedia, but I only really found Naruto and Geass... and Orange-kun and Suzaku don't really have any kind of relationship. What were you thinking of?

Honestly, I've seen JYB and Lowenthal in a lot more roles together than Lowenthal and Freeman.
Old 2009-10-01, 04:51   Link #20168
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Noein. Completely forgot about Geass.

*e* Of course, we could always go with a different Tsuji-based dub joke...

Yuuki falls head over heels for Yuki, until she does something that breaks his heart, leaving him an emotional wreck until meeting Emiri... and then somehow ends up with Ryoko.

All joking aside, however... I suppose I could try my hand at redoing Nagato's story. It's been a while since I've actually done anything here. Just don't expect it to be good.

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2009-10-01 at 05:47.
Old 2009-10-01, 04:56   Link #20169
Heatth

Quote:

Don't ask me. I just used Rikaichan(an firefox add-on to translate single words and have a name dicionary).

It list the names for 勇気 as:

Isaoki(u)
Isaki(f)
Yuuki(f, s)
Yuki(f)

u= person name (may be female or male)
f= female name
s= surname

Btw, 勇気 means valor/courage. 勇 alone means more or less the same thing (exclude 'valor' and add 'heroism). And 気 means spirit/mind/air.

Quote:
I was thinking he would have named himself "ghost" out of spite/a sense of irony.

And yes, that does make him even more lonely than Yuki. Honestly, I think all he really needs is a hug.

Plus I can probably use that for Alter Yuuki, whose personality we never really ironed out...
Well, Alter Yuki wasn't how Yuki was suppose to be if she was a normal human? It is natural to Alter Yuuki be similar to how Yuuki would be... How woulbe be that, btw?

Anyway, it is kinda a feat make the most lone story in the book even more lonely.
Old 2009-10-01, 06:15   Link #20170
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Or, since she's easily the most gullible person in the world, she'll believe it's just a coincidence. I mean, large blue giants don't exist and there's absolutely nothing strange going on around Haruhi, right?
At the same time, this is pointlessly taunting Murphy.

It's a bad idea.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 07:52   Link #20171
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
I tried to make a timelier response; but a power failure just had to happen before the submit reply button could be pressed.
Quote:
No, I mean the full thing. I can help with ideas and writing some sections if needed, so don't worry.
Whatever happened to the plan to write in the chronological order? Ok, that doesn't really matter. I'll get started, but I can't promise I can do it quickly or good.

Quote:
Hmm. I dunno. His name doesn't exactly mean "snow" anymore, the way it's pronounced.
To quote one of Yuki's biggest fans, Nakagawa:

Spoiler for Extract from Vol 6 - Charmed:

Yuki's name isn't exactly feminine either, so yeah, it'll work out somehow. We could add a line about having courage in the face of the cold snow; or how falling white snow look like spectres in the dark night. Unnecessary, but if Yuuki is a different Kanji from Yuki, this could help emphasize it.

Quote:
And that's what makes it fun.

What will we call male-Miyoko, though? "Miyo" is still a very feminine name...
A tough question... Mi~ like Miyo or Mio is obviously feminine. It has to be rearranged. Errr... Koyomi?

Quote:
I completely agree.

Two things to keep in mind are a) that Haruki will be involved in writing it, and b) Mitsuuru is not going to want to write it.
Which was exactly why the story was so messed up. An insane meddling editor and an apathetic pliant writer.

Maybe, Mikuru originally planned an "A Little Mermaid" style romance between a prince and a mermaid; but Haruhi forced her to insert a princess with Girl Power who conquers everything.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 09:31   Link #20172
GDB

Quote:
What will we call male-Miyoko, though? "Miyo" is still a very feminine name...
Could go with...

Mikio - 美樹夫 or 幹夫
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 11:21   Link #20173
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Btw, 勇気 means valor/courage. 勇 alone means more or less the same thing (exclude 'valor' and add 'heroism). And 気 means spirit/mind/air.
I'm also relatively certain that's how the Japanese fandom writes his name... can anyone check that?

Quote:
To quote one of Yuki's biggest fans, Nakagawa:

Spoiler for Extract from Vol 6 - Charmed:

Yuki's name isn't exactly feminine either, so yeah, it'll work out somehow. We could add a line about having courage in the face of the cold snow; or how falling white snow look like spectres in the dark night. Unnecessary, but if Yuuki is a different Kanji from Yuki, this could help emphasize it.
I still like the idea of giving himself, a "ghost" according to the person-in-the-first-chapter-who-is-probably-some-version-of-Asahina, the name Ghost.

Quote:
A tough question... Mi~ like Miyo or Mio is obviously feminine. It has to be rearranged. Errr... Koyomi?
That's still feminine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Mikio - 美樹夫 or 幹夫
Huh, I guess that works for now.

Mikio Yoshimura.

Not bad.
Old 2009-10-01, 11:38   Link #20174
Heatth

Quote:
I'm also relatively certain that's how the Japanese fandom writes his name... can anyone check that?
In a quick search in the google and nikoniko it seen people just call whrite his name in hiragana(ゆうき) or katakana(ユウキ).

Other possibilitys are 有紀 (the first character is the same as Yuki's, bu the second means history/narrative/geologic period) or even just 有希 (the same as Yuki), as it can be read as "Yuuki" as well.

I don't think they are that organized.

PP:
Yeah, Mikio sounds good. But I didn't remember Miyoko had a full name.
Old 2009-10-01, 11:45   Link #20175
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?

Quote:

Just popping in to say I find this beautiful. I remember being a Yuuki fangirl, so I think it's a sign that this would earn approval and silent, moved squealing from my kind

Still, sticking to the "official" spelling is probably the way to go, if there is one. But if there isn't, that's more freedom, right? Right? Wishful thinking?
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 11:56   Link #20176
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
That's still feminine!

Huh, I guess that works for now.

Mikio Yoshimura.

Not bad.
Just imagining Kyonko dating a kid with a prominent ahoge. And Kyonko was being possessed by an animal ghost.

Wasn't Mikio; Mitsuuru's alias in Intrigues? Or was it some other Mi~? Can anyone recall?

About Yuuki's name, I don't mind it either way.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 12:34   Link #20177
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Wasn't Mikio; Mitsuuru's alias in Intrigues? Or was it some other Mi~? Can anyone recall?
I don't know about Mikio, but I think one of the suggestions was Minoru as a shout out to Minoru Shiraishi and his remix of Koi no Mikuru Densetsu.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 13:54   Link #20178
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

I can not think of anything to contribute at this present moment in time.
Old 2009-10-01, 14:48   Link #20179
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
We could add a line about having courage in the face of the cold snow; or how falling white snow look like spectres in the dark night.
... That was actually what I was thinking of for that part.
Old 2009-10-01, 20:33   Link #20180
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

Quote:
... That was actually what I was thinking of for that part.
Looks like we've managed to stumble upon a small victory. Or is it?

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan