Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-02, 22:48   Link #1
jbruns
Warez Kiddie

Smile Epic save the world anime

Hey. I'm looking an epic save the world anime with a really deep plot. Something like Seirei no Moribito, TTGL, Last Exile, Scrapped Princess, or Eureka 7. Preferably with military involved. While I would consider shows like X TV and Shakugan no Shana save the world i really didn't find them to be epic. Thanks.

Last edited by jbruns; 2007-11-02 at 23:14.
Old 2007-11-02, 23:21   Link #2
jedinat

RahXephon perhaps.
Old 2007-11-02, 23:36   Link #3
silverwolf
1 shot 1 kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
RahXephon perhaps.
i might b wrong but ...
Spoiler for how it ends:

A man needs sum thing to satisfied his soul...booze...no not booze ,Love no mater how old he gets,man lives his life in love with love regardless of what reality has to say on the matter.
Old 2007-11-02, 23:48   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
i might b wrong but ...
Spoiler for how it ends:
I don't really remember the specifics of the ending; and anyways, an anime with a "save the world" theme does not necessarily specify success, does it? I remember it being a fairly pleasant ending, if a bit bittersweet; and I'm pretty sure the (or a) world was still around.
Old 2007-11-03, 00:00   Link #5
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
Ergo Proxy!!!!!!
Old 2007-11-03, 01:12   Link #6
Frans

Full Metal Alchemist.
Almost any Gundam shows... if you like newer animation, then Gundam Seed would be perfect. There is the new Gundam 00 if you like to try it.
Both involved military.
Old 2007-11-03, 03:11   Link #7
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Heh, I'm going to recommend SaiKano and not say anything else about it. It's my favorite military anime.
Old 2007-11-03, 03:50   Link #8
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Heh, I'm going to recommend SaiKano and not say anything else about it. It's my favorite military anime.
Wouldn't that be like the opposite of what he's asking for ? Don't get me wrong I liked the show and it would qualify as epic I think, but not so much on the saving the world thing
Old 2007-11-03, 04:01   Link #9
lftwgr

Evangelion - organic mecha vs. aliens (given pseudo-biblical names) which culminates in a major mind-f*ck in the last 2 episodes, which is better explained in the later movies. Aside from the wimpiest protagonist ever created for a mecha show, it is a classic nevertheless.

Yukikaze - great animation and dog-fight scenes (courtesy of research at the JSDF air force). A parallel world with alien invaders opens up a long time before the start of the series, and the story takes place at the permanent outpost / city Man has built in that world. Focuses on a pilot of a sentient plane who must lead the retreating human forces safely back to Earth. This one's light on plot, but I love gawking at the dog-fights.

Stellvia of the Universe - Earth was struck by electromagnetic waves from the implosion of a nearby dying star. A century later, the remaining population must prepare for the actual remnants of that star (planetary debris), and even worst, a black hole that threatens to pulverize the solar system. Focuses on a group of pilots (who are part of a bigger force) who must train to deal with these threats.
Old 2007-11-03, 04:33   Link #10
Navel

Gurren-Lagann, Gunbuster (the beginning is cheesy but don't let that fool you), Evangelion, RahXephon (silverwolf, your memory is betraying you ^^). If "epic" is a requirement.
Old 2007-11-03, 04:39   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
Wouldn't that be like the opposite of what he's asking for ? Don't get me wrong I liked the show and it would qualify as epic I think, but not so much on the saving the world thing
I don't think it's so much opposite. If you're planning to watch this anime don't read the spoiler!

Spoiler for SaiKano:
Old 2007-11-03, 05:07   Link #12
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I don't think it's so much opposite. If you're planning to watch this anime don't read the spoiler!

Spoiler for SaiKano:
Spoiler for Don't peek unless you've seen this show!:
Old 2007-11-03, 08:19   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Noein is about saving the world, but it doesn't have a military plot. It it pretty epic, though.
Planetes has some subplots that cover this ground, but it's not an epic.
Old 2007-11-03, 08:42   Link #14
Frans

Gunbuster certainly have that epic feeling... the problem is that the plot isn't deep. The ending is nice though
As for SaiKano, I don't think it's epic enough.. certainly can't be compared to the likes of Eureka 7, Scrapped Princess, or Last Exile. It's one of those anime where the scope is small, the effect is large. I can't comment on Seirei no Moribito and TTGL, but the other 3 have that adventure element where they go all over the world.. certainly a lot more epic than SaiKano.
Old 2007-11-03, 13:59   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

And that's just a difference of opinions. I found SaiKano to be a wonderful realistic portrayal of not war at the front lines, but how war affects both the combatants and the innocent civilians struggling to survive. It also brings up the argument about sacrificing yourself to defend your country (it's not as simple as it seems), and killing others on a massive scale to do so. That is why it wholeheartedly consider SaiKano to be epic, because it does fit in with what you say--those themes in my opinion makes it where the the scope is small but the effect is large.

Eureka Seven is just epic because it's one of the two mecha anime that I actually like.
Old 2007-11-03, 16:08   Link #16
tyc00

Please try out Zegapain. The military is more like a militia but is a great mecha anime. Don't let the mecha animations throw you off, they're a but weird at first but you get used to them quite quickly. The story is focused maily on the characters then the mecha themselves but I think it should fit under your requested suggestions. I found it to be quite epic and EXTREMLY underrated because of the way it was released on tv. But if you watch the whole series together you will get a MUCH more pleasant experience out of it.

I'll also second Raphxephon too! But try out Zegapain and I hope you like it as much as I did. Happy watching!
Old 2007-11-04, 03:46   Link #17
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyc00 View Post
Please try out Zegapain. The military is more like a militia but is a great mecha anime. Don't let the mecha animations throw you off, they're a but weird at first but you get used to them quite quickly. The story is focused maily on the characters then the mecha themselves but I think it should fit under your requested suggestions. I found it to be quite epic and EXTREMLY underrated because of the way it was released on tv. But if you watch the whole series together you will get a MUCH more pleasant experience out of it.

I'll also second Raphxephon too! But try out Zegapain and I hope you like it as much as I did. Happy watching!
yes, I agree totally. Zegapain is brilliant. It definitely fits the description of 'saving the world'. It's deep and explores questions of reality and human existence. Mecha, yeah, a bit flashy and colourful, but characterisation wins out. If you decide to give it a try, at least watch up till episode 4, else you wouldn't even begin to get one-tenth of what's going on.
Old 2007-11-04, 05:47   Link #18
tbl
Affably Evil

It doesn't get much more epic than Gurren-Lagann. The battles in the closing episodes = OMG!
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-11-04, 08:25   Link #19
Frans

Btw, I think TTGL in the first post means Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I might be wrong though...
Old 2007-11-04, 11:23   Link #20
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Nobody mentioned GaoGaiGar yet? Nothing gets more epic then GaoGaiGar, Gurren Lagann come damn close but still not epic as GaoGaiGar.