AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 35 55.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 26.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 9.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-11, 12:43   Link #41
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

If you liked the artstyle of this episode, I highly recommend you to watch "Casshern Sins" and, in a lesser degree, Yumekui Merry (because the end of merry was meh).

I was wondering if not only the director but the background dude too, were the same in this episode.
Old 2011-11-11, 13:28   Link #42
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Wow, I'd been hearing for a few days that some of the people from Casshern Sins were doing this episode and even not knowing that it would've been totally obvious, that artstyle, so gorgeous.
I swear, this is the only show that makes me go through the entire gamut of emotions in just one episode. Knew that Tabuki must also have a screwed up past but didn't think that was where his scared hands came from, clever misdirection only showing those after the subway attacks. Momoka is almost starting to remind me of Utena hair (probably because of the hair color, please don't let this start a flame war) in the way that she seems to be more princely/godly than everyone else and that's she's the one who manages to get everyone else out of trouble that they couldn't do on their own. Curious to see if she really will be that saintly in the end or if she's also messed up (it now occurs to me, she and Sanetoshi are the only characters we haven't had a flashback from their perspective yet), I still think she's the PoC as well so I'm sure there's still much more to her story.
Also, Tabuki said that Kanba was working for the remnants of the organization from before which is now being run by his father, didn't Sanetoshi say an episode or two ago that he was the head of the organization? If he and their father is related then I think this story just got even more messed up. @_@
Old 2011-11-11, 13:55   Link #43
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Casshern SINS was definitely something that was constantly springing to my mind as well when I watched this episode. That kinda direction is really just great.
Old 2011-11-11, 15:25   Link #44
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Bloody hell this episode is so gorgeous... Its clear from the very first sight Umakoshi the GOD is involved on this episode.
kyaaaaa... excuse me for having more fangasm.
Old 2011-11-11, 15:31   Link #45
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh wow, this episode was a such a treat for Yamauchi Shigeyasu fans like myself. So stylish, beautiful and expressive. I wish he worked on every episode of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
If you liked the artstyle of this episode, I highly recommend you to watch "Casshern Sins" and, in a lesser degree, Yumekui Merry (because the end of merry was meh).
Casshern Sins is highly recommended to people who want to see more of Yamauchi Shigeyasu, though personally i'd recommend Saint Seiya first. It's where his style started, and is easily to this day one of the best performances of directing and storyboards i've ever seen.

& let's not forget, there's also Heartcatch Precure. You can get away with calling that a sequel to Casshern Sins.
Old 2011-11-11, 16:52   Link #46
Sol Falling

Maybe I ruined it for myself by reading spoilers? Or else the character designs didn't really fit. Somehow, Kanba and Himari's conversation was way more emotional in my head.

Well, I did like Casshern Sins though (and Heartcatch Precure). The chara designs worked really well during the Momoka flashback portions. Kanba's face as Himari was talking was just weird, though. And Himari looked too childish.

The ending was kinda weird too. I agree that Ringo's dialogue interjected before we could really understand what Shouma was feeling.

Anyway, now it is out there. How much Kanba is suffering for the sake of Himari. Shouma, Natsume, and Himari herself. Let's see how they change and what they decide to do.

Incidentally, I guess we figured out how Sanetoshi was behind all of this now. Sanetoshi was the one who sent the photos (of Kanba) to Tabuki. Natsume's final line was about "kono ie", i.e. "that roof" or "that household" metaphorically. I'd say she's referring to how Sanetoshi is targeting it as Kanba's weakness.

I'm gonna associate Sanetoshi with the "goddess" in Shouma's fairy tale. "Mary" is of course Takekura Kenzan. Since Takekura Kenzan really does seem to have had really high connections in the Penguin group, which Sanetoshi is ultimately controls the power of. My guess is that Kenzan stole some of that power or something and is currently leading a coup d'etat of one of the Penguin factions. That's why Sanetoshi wants to punish him/his family. Sanetoshi may also even want revenge on the Takekura's because of what happened to Momoka.

This was the conclusion of Tabuki's story. Yuri still has the diary, but she may also be dropping out as a major player after this. What we have is Sanetoshi targeting Himari, Kanba destroying himself protecting her, Natsume trying to protect Kanba, Shouma wanting to be of use to protect both of them, and Ringo trying to support Shouma. For the story to move on from now, I guess what we'll need to see is the PoC obtaining the Penguindrum (:P).
Old 2011-11-11, 17:04   Link #47
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

I think just by the colour choices and all, it may be a lot of people from Precure in Mawaru, too. I didn't look the staff, but... It feels like that.

Overall, I'm amazed of how many talented people are working on Mawaru.
Old 2011-11-11, 17:19   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Nobody's mentioned it (thought I might have missed it) but this episode as good as confirmed that the hands shown in the ED are Kanba's (left one is bloodied), which means he might really be Himari's fated one, after all.
Old 2011-11-11, 17:29   Link #49
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Two or three days ago I read in certain board a theory about Kanba and Himari.
Spoiler for about fated one:

I dunno, Himari doesn't look like she loves him so much, but it would be interesting.
Old 2011-11-11, 17:48   Link #50
YayPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
Two or three days ago I read in certain board a theory about Kanba and Himari.
Spoiler for about fated one:

I dunno, Himari doesn't look like she loves him so much, but it would be interesting.

That would be really interesting, I kind of hope that's what ends up happening. It would show the consequences of Momoka's power besides the injuries to herself.
Old 2011-11-11, 18:30   Link #51
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Acha... Tabuki had the ability to Teleport.
Who would have thought!?

Anyways, pretty disappointed with the idiot. Hoped he was a bit more, but another lunatic bent on revenge on the kids of the parents.
And then he gives up in the end and leaves instead of seeing it all the way. After teleporting to save Himari. He should have just teleported down instead of taking the elevator though. But can't expect common sense from worshippers of the reincarnation of Budd-... I mean, Momoka.
And his parents were crazy too. Oh the impact it had, because I mean, every other parent in this anime was only so normal.
^^
The execution was still near perfect though. Except for the lolblink that Tabuki did (and they can still sneak lewlexplanations).
Old 2011-11-11, 21:53   Link #52
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
In case anyone still doubts the Momoka=PoC theory.

Spoiler:
These pictures aren't much evidence. Ringo is Momoka's identical twin (colors are different, and age difference obviously), so we could just as easily speculate that the hat is a red herring of some sort and that Ringo is Momoka. Both of these theories have been hinted at in the story for a while now.
Old 2011-11-11, 22:38   Link #53
Kirarakim

I don't think the story has hinted that Ringo is Momoka at all. It has actually showed us quite the opposite, that Ringo is Herself only.
Old 2011-11-11, 23:14   Link #54
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Nobody's mentioned it (thought I might have missed it) but this episode as good as confirmed that the hands shown in the ED are Kanba's (left one is bloodied), which means he might really be Himari's fated one, after all.
I've always thought that the darkened hand was Kanba's, but it doesn't seem like blood? Rather, it reminds me of the darkened hands of Hibari and Hikari from the first OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
These pictures aren't much evidence. Ringo is Momoka's identical twin (colors are different, and age difference obviously), so we could just as easily speculate that the hat is a red herring of some sort and that Ringo is Momoka. Both of these theories have been hinted at in the story for a while now.
I agree that those pictures aren't evidence, but Sanetoshi did directly refer to the hat as his "loved person". I don't think I've seen any hints that Ringo actually is Momoka, either.
Old 2011-11-11, 23:26   Link #55
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't think the story has hinted that Ringo is Momoka at all. It has actually showed us quite the opposite, that Ringo is Herself only.
....you're missing the point. The theory that the Princess of the Crystal (the hat) is Momoka is just as valid as the theory that Ringo is Momoka. Both things have been mentioned in the story as possible and haven't been disproven either. Ringo may be "reformed" but that doesn't mean it isn't her fate to become Momoka. Consider that in the flashbacks Momoka is a very nice, almost saintlike girl who loves everyone, while Ringo has slowly progressed from a selfish girl to someone who has opened up to others and even begun to love (and not the creepy stalker "the diary told me to" love). Maybe Ringo needs this progression, and not the diary version, to truly become her sister. We just don't know for sure, because the story has done a remarkable job of keeping us guessing.

It could be either, neither, or one over the other.

As a side note, that's probably the most surprising thing about this series. Usually when you have stories with lots of puzzle pieces people are practically falling over each other to put them together and guess future events and even the ending. I think this is the first series where no one really knows what is going to happen but even with all of the clues given to us, it's difficult to dissect what has happened to create speculation with.
Old 2011-11-12, 07:24   Link #56
Kirarakim

I don't think I am missing the point. I don't think there has been any hints that Ringo will or needs to become Momoka. In fact that would negate her entire development up to now.

Now while I don't know if it's true that the POC is Momoka either I do think there are more concrete hints towards that.

I do agree that overall I cannot guess how the story will end though. Although perhaps someone out there has.
Old 2011-11-12, 08:10   Link #57
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
i don't think those pictures were referring to the appearance, but instead on the stance and facial expression
Old 2011-11-12, 10:40   Link #58
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
i don't think those pictures were referring to the appearance, but instead on the stance and facial expression
Exactly. Notice that Himari's hairstyle is nothing like Momoka's, but when she has the hat on, the point replicates the shape of Momoka's bangs.
Old 2011-11-12, 17:22   Link #59
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
In case anyone still doubts the Momoka=PoC theory.

Spoiler:
The only thing I got from those pictures is that Momoka and PoC have reverse hair and eye colors Besides, Momoka's personality is far too different from PoC to compare at the moment. Same for Ringo, or are they going to use the "death changes personality" method if these theories are true?
Old 2011-11-12, 18:18   Link #60
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So that's what the scar on Tabuki's hand is. Loled when Momoka just broke into the place and they still continued to kill the kids. Even worse that guy just started burning her like it was nothing.

So the way Kanba gets the money is tied to his missing father. Well he had no other choice since there is no other way to get that much money, but wonder if he's trying to get in touch with him. Wow surprised Kanba hung on for that long. Still don't get how he was able to get down and then Tabuki somehow saved Himari?

Even though it was a sad scene, the one at the end where Shouma has them both in his arms is the best scene in the season for me so far.