Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2017-04-17, 10:05   Link #1
zztop

Yuusha no Segare/The Hero's Son

Spoiler for Volume covers:

Original Title : 勇者のセガレ
Author : Wagahara Satoshi (Hataraku Maou-sama)
Illustrator : 029 (Hataraku Maou-sama)
Vol 1 - Jan 10, 2017
Vol 2 - Aug 10, 2017
Vol 3 - Jul 10, 2018

Translation: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/yuusha-no-segare/

Spoiler for Synopsis:

The novel's largely a slice of life, with some action in between.
The main focus for now is on Yasuo trying to reconcile how his father's potential departure for Ante Lande could uproot his family's stability and normalcy.
There's comedy, from Yasuo's reactions to the various interactions between the family and Diana.
There is danger involved, the phantoms have tried to attack the home, and the situation in the fantasy world is growing chaotic.

Last edited by zztop; 2018-09-23 at 03:19.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 10:26   Link #2
Botan_TM

Wagahara Satoshi loves to play with inverted isekai stories, don't he?
Hataraku is quite good, so I will check this out too.
Old 2017-04-17, 18:59   Link #3
Tenzen12

I was quite hyped about this and it's not bad. Unfortunately it's not good either.

Premise is great, character relatable and plot intriguing. Yet it somehow fall flat. While it heritated lot from HataMaou, whether it's various plot elements, general themes or plot structure it's often too serious and realistic. High lights are carefree banters in which is Wagahara keeper but they are few and far between.

But what is worst part is relationship between Yasuo and Diana. In beginning Yasuo see Diana as threat to peace of his family and act hostile, but it took just two days and one freaking tea to I switch into lovestruck teenager mode , without any development in between. It waste for otherwise two good characters and killed lot of potential their dynamic could bring into story IMHO.

Well despite all this complaining, I still have expectation for YnS and will keep eye on it, if nothing else at least for possible crossover SS.
Old 2017-05-15, 23:40   Link #4
Tenzen12

Sorry for double post, but hey! Little bump can't hurt.

For someone almost worshiped as "Rainbow sage" I really didn't expect mother be genuine magical (over forty years old) girl. I guess that rainbow part should cue me...

Anyway best way to beat Shii is guess what? Right singing. I guess now after magical housewife we will get Magical Lyrical Idol Yasuo.

Should be fun.
Old 2017-05-16, 02:23   Link #5
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

Lol the mother is OP...
Old 2017-05-16, 15:51   Link #6
SamVision

Disappointed with this one. It has a good starting premise, but it relies on too many safe and frankly dumb ideas. Its comedic elements are boiler-plate at best and tiring at worst, and the more serious elements don't feel serious at all.
SamVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-31, 09:37   Link #7
zztop

Vol 2 of Yuusha no Segare came out Aug 10, 2017.
http://dengekibunko.jp/newreleases/978-4-04-893279-0/

Spoiler for Vol 2 cover:

Fantranslation of Vol 2 has been completed, you can read on the NU link.

The author's afterwords for Vol 2 discusses the trickiness of an old man like him trying to research how it's like to live as a modern high-schooler, among other things.

Spoiler for Vol 2 afterwords excerpt:
Old 2018-01-31, 09:58   Link #8
Tenzen12

I like idea of full support protagonist, you don't see these often.

I don't like Diana though, in Hatamaou I gradually grow like all girls, I don't see that happen with this one. Still volume 2 was pretty good.
Old 2018-01-31, 10:10   Link #9
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I like idea of full support protagonist, you don't see these often.

I don't like Diana though, in Hatamaou I gradually grow like all girls, I don't see that happen with this one. Still volume 2 was pretty good.
Is Hatamaou still popular?
Because if it is, the lack of a anime S2 is quite surprising (unless the publisher is focusing on other stuff to promote).
Old 2018-01-31, 11:00   Link #10
Tenzen12

I can't say reliably, but with brief search it seems last volume outselled Konosuba vol.11 and Goblin Slayer vol.5. (Being bested only by Index18 and Danmachi12).

So yes it should be still very popular.
Old 2018-09-23, 03:18   Link #11
zztop

Vol 3 came out on July 10, 2018.

Fantranslations are complete and available on NU.

With the stakes now increasing, it seems Nodoka will provide the offensive power while Yasuo gives support purification power.

The author this time talks about food, childhood nostalgia and how it relates to growing up.

Quote:
...The first time (I) was able to decide what to eat on (my) own was after entering college.
As for being able to properly cook on my own, it was only after the late age of twenty five.

I think that deciding what to eat on your own is an essential step to becoming an independent adult.

In order to make decisions on what, when, where, and how to eat something, it is necessary to have a suitable level of economic freedom, ability to take action, ability to discern the quality of food, and the ability to act without the oversight of guardians.

On the other hand, it is probably only after one gains all these requisite abilities and becomes an adult who does not rely on anyone for their food, that they start to realize how lucky they were to experience a time when they could completely depend on someone else for their bountiful meals, the so-called 『mother’s cooking』.

By the way, I am sure that most adults have some fond memories of their『mother’s cooking』, but the phrase『father’s cooking』 doesn’t pop up very often.

However, these days, it has become quite normal for fathers to participate in taking care of children as well.

Maybe once the children from this generation grow up, they will feel nostalgic while saying things like 『My father made this particular dish for me when I was a child』.

By the way, my experience of an unforgettable 『father’s cooking』 is the roasted pacific saury that my father would quietly leave next to my keyboard as I sat in front of my PC while drinking coffee...

...This book is about the children who are still not able to choose the contents of their own meals, but who are growing without realizing it into people who will be able to make those choices someday.

Unlike a certain Demon King and his friends (Hataraku reference?), they are still incapable of securing their own meals unless they are under someone’s protection, but it would be nice if we could see them grow just a little closer to adulthood in the next volume as well.

Well then, let us meet again in the next volume!!
Old 2021-04-05, 03:57   Link #12
Botan_TM

I have a problem to confirm, because different sites differs. Was a 4th volume a last one?
Old 2021-04-16, 11:09   Link #13
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
I have a problem to confirm, because different sites differs. Was a 4th volume a last one?
Vol 4 was the last.