http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82904820120310
Old 2012-03-10, 07:16   Link #20023
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
China February trade deficit at $31.5 billion as imports leap
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82904820120310
I thought they have always been having trade surpluses? Someone finally audited the black ink or what?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:46   Link #20024
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I thought they have always been having trade surpluses? Someone finally audited the black ink or what?
Dude, it is Feburary, i.e., the month of the Chinese new year. I wouldn't be surprised if the economic output of the this month is the half of the usual.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2012-03-10 at 09:05.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:56   Link #20025
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Dude, it is Feburary, i.e., the month of the Chinese new year. I wouldn't be surprised if the economic out of the this month is the half of the usual.
But don't they stockpile before CNY to ease the economy back into action?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:14   Link #20026
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New report reveals how corporations undermine science with fake bloggers and bribes
Old 2012-03-10, 09:16   Link #20027
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
But don't they stockpile before CNY to ease the economy back into action?
Well, that I don't know. I think it is reasonable to expect that they do, but on what scale and how it affects the economical data, that I don't know. Considering my sister who just got a brand new iphone which I think it is too expensive for a shining object (a lots of cheaper alternatives with the essentially the same functions), I have an idea of where the extra import comes from.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:33   Link #20028
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Well, that I don't know. I think it is reasonable to expect that they do, but on what scale and how it affects the economical data, that I don't know. Considering my sister who just got a brand new iphone which I think it is too expensive for a shining object (a lots of cheaper alternatives with the essentially the same functions), I have an idea of where the extra import comes from.
I thought Apple products are made in China. So they ship it to US for warehousing and launch, then ship it back to China again, resulting in the import increase?

Old 2012-03-10, 09:38   Link #20029
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
I thought Apple products are made in China. So they ship it to US for warehousing and launch, then ship it back to China again, resulting in the import increase?
It's Taiwan, not China
Old 2012-03-10, 09:42   Link #20030
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's Taiwan, not China
You referring to site of manufacture, storage or the contractor's country?

And I think I have to agree with Tom on the IPhone being an overpriced shiny object. My sister has one too, while I went for an Android Galaxy worth half as much.

Old 2012-03-10, 09:55   Link #20031
sa547
*Author

Not surprised at all, just like how game reviews are being conducted.
Old 2012-03-10, 10:09   Link #20032
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It seems to mostly be a problem with food and pharmaceutical products, but yeah this doesn't surprise me in the least. The proffessor I'm currently doing my dissertation under once got into trouble when he posted an article that suggested one herbal cigarette product designed to help smoking cessation, actually contained the same amount of tar as normal cigarettes. He's still bitter about it...

Last edited by Haak; 2012-03-10 at 10:20.
Old 2012-03-10, 10:19   Link #20033
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

who is actually surprise by this?
Old 2012-03-10, 13:02   Link #20034
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
It will be a great news for consumers if everything assembled in China is counted as domestic product. I don't know if they ship these things outside then inside for the Chinese market, but what I do know that we pay tariff for everything with a foreign brand from Nike shoes, IBM/lenovo laptops (yes, you read it correctly, LENOVO laptops) to ipad and iphones. As a result, the domestic price is actually higher than those on the US or HK market, so it is actually lucrative business for smugglers. I have heard explanations such as that we need to pay extra since the patents (the design or high tech processors etc.) are held by foreign nations. But I don't know how credible such explanation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's Taiwan, not China
You'd be correct you meant component such as mother boards. But for the assembly, it is definitely in China.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2012-03-10 at 13:12.
Old 2012-03-10, 16:00   Link #20035
monsta666

While China exports a lot of finished goods they also import a lot of commodities. In recent months their trade surplus has been falling due to falling demand in the US and particularly the EU for their products. On the other hand China's demand for commodities continues to increase so the current account will narrow and now it seems the surplus has turned to a deficit.

To put this increased commodity demand into some perspective I have heard that Chinese imports of oil surged by 18.5% year-on-year and now they import almost 6 million barrels of oil a day. That increase of 18.5% equates to 0.93 million barrels a day which at prices of about $120 a barrel (which is about the average price of brent oil in February) that would equate to $3.23 billion in increased costs for that month compared to February of last year. That increase in demand accounts for about 10% of the entire deficit (which stood at $31.5 billion). Off course we must note that there were increases in demand for other commodities that also contributed to this deficit. We should also not assume that China will begin producing perpetual deficits but it could be a sign of things to come seeing as I don't see China's demand for commodities wavering any time soon on the other hand I can see demand for their finished goods increasing at a slower rate.

Last edited by monsta666; 2012-03-10 at 16:14.
Old 2012-03-10, 16:45   Link #20036
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm discovering that it is becoming quite the common practice to "bomb google" with dozens of astroturf "reviews" on various products (especially the "as seen on tv" scams). I've personally run into this about 6 or 7 times now. OTOH, I've discovered that the Amazon review system does a fair job of not letting the complaint reviews get squelched by the plants.
Old 2012-03-10, 19:45   Link #20037
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry, separate topic:

The U.S.S. Enterprise undergoing its final voyage (the real one):

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/10/148375...ge?ft=1&f=1001
Old 2012-03-10, 21:06   Link #20038
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If there was a way, we should keep Enterprise. So many firsts.

Her predecessor survived the Second World War with the longest combat record and amount of awards, and sat for over ten years waiting to be made into a museum...never happens. USS Enterprise (CV-6) was scrapped in 1958 to make room for this Enterprise (CVN-65).

Though I will be a little suspicious if she don't return from this final voyage to the Middle East.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-10 at 21:40.
Old 2012-03-10, 21:23   Link #20039
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

An actress who played a small role on EastEnders has been found dead in London. Limbless, BTW.
Old 2012-03-10, 22:18   Link #20040
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

R.I.P Moebius

As a reader of Heavy Metal during my late teens and throughout my 20s, I'm quite saddened by this news.

Spoiler for A sample of his work.:
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international