AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-20, 08:57   Link #41
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hum, this title eh ... admittedly i haven't played the game yet, but i do remember skimming through the CGs a while back, and it seemed fairly interesting. Fantasy of this sort being a genre i fairly enjoy, i think i will allow myself to look towards this in a cautiously optimistic light. I just hope there isn't a heavy-duty tsundere among the front lines to disrupt my enjoyment

I must confess this puzzled me a bit though ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
Now, i only listened to the first one, and chances are i am missing something the game players obviously know about the scenes, but ... isn't that some fairly usual stuff of a somewhat airhead getting overly enthusiastic and self-absorbed during her speech ? Yes, those can be funny indeed, but am i missing something here that would make this case special enough to get worked up about
Old 2008-12-20, 11:06   Link #42
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Fukuyama Jun is voicing a role in the anime? Where does it say that??
Huh...didn't know that suggesting seiyuus suddenly made them canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Now, i only listened to the first one, and chances are i am missing something the game players obviously know about the scenes, but ... isn't that some fairly usual stuff of a somewhat airhead getting overly enthusiastic and self-absorbed during her speech ? Yes, those can be funny indeed, but am i missing something here that would make this case special enough to get worked up about
The transition from lovey-dovey yamato nadeshiko tsuma-mode Mashiro to heartless domestic violence overworking demon Mashiro is something that the lines totally present perfectly in context with the events involved. Changing it would be totally detrimental. Admittedly you don't know the context so you wouldn't know the loss involved should they mess around with the lines. Same with the second clip, although in the second one both tsuma and danna reacted in the same way...which made it hilarious (the whole "buuuoooaaaaaaka mongaaa!"). That and the whole "a normal human's head would be crushed with this force I exert using this hammer! Just watch!". GATTSUN! Ozuchi yo~ Omoikiri~ Furikabutte~

TATTE! TACHINASAI! TATTEEEEE! ...Oh, when did it become late afternoon? Eeeeei, I don't remember having a husband this pathetically weak!

Perfect.

The third sound clip just emphasizes Mashiro's...goofiness. In that one she's translating the Tayutai's conversation. HEI HEI, PRETTY LADY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WANNA DRINK SOME TEA WITH ME?
Old 2008-12-20, 12:14   Link #43
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post

What notable roles did Jun Fukuyama have again?

Lelouch in Code Geass (Wakamoto plays his father here, that was the irony mentioned).
Takaaki in Toheart2.
Kazuki in Husou Renkin.
Lots more.

In all he's a good seiyu. He can play naive-character roles, deceptive-character roles, or when it gets really random.... hot-blooded shounen roles.

So I'm sort of getting a picture. But what type of character is Yuuri?

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 13:29   Link #44
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
The transition from lovey-dovey yamato nadeshiko tsuma-mode Mashiro to heartless domestic violence overworking demon Mashiro is something that the lines totally present perfectly in context with the events involved. Changing it would be totally detrimental. Admittedly you don't know the context so you wouldn't know the loss involved should they mess around with the lines. Same with the second clip, although in the second one both tsuma and danna reacted in the same way...which made it hilarious (the whole "buuuoooaaaaaaka mongaaa!"). That and the whole "a normal human's head would be crushed with this force I exert using this hammer! Just watch!". GATTSUN! Ozuchi yo~ Omoikiri~ Furikabutte~

TATTE! TACHINASAI! TATTEEEEE! ...Oh, when did it become late afternoon? Eeeeei, I don't remember having a husband this pathetically weak!

Perfect.

The third sound clip just emphasizes Mashiro's...goofiness. In that one she's translating the Tayutai's conversation. HEI HEI, PRETTY LADY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WANNA DRINK SOME TEA WITH ME?
...You know, Erhjegel... if you were trying to explain the meaning of those scenes in English, perhaps you should have finished translating the explanation. This reminds me of the conversations I used to have in school where we'd jump between languages without even thinking about it, and then all of a sudden stop ourselves and realize "wait, what language were we just speaking in?"

Anyway, to try to translate... this is the big deal about those scenes (that, yes, would be obvious to anyone who played the game): Normally, Mashiro is the very image of the perfect traditional Japanese wife: kind, wise, calm, mature, understanding, talented, well-behaved, takes care of the home, etc. Think, like, Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi or something. However, Mashiro isn't just a "perfect woman" from a long-lost era, she's also the reincarnation of a god, and her job is to bring wayward spirits under control, typically using force. Keep in mind that she wields a giant spirit-crushing hammer as her primary weapon. So, as if to counter Mashiro's typical "domestic" side, we have the contrast of Mashiro's aggressive, sort of "alpha female" god side. When she's in this "mode", typically when she's training Yuuri to fight along side her, she's completely merciless and will "train" Yuuri nearly to the point of death until all of a sudden her "deredere" side kicks in again and she realizes that she nearly killed the man ("Oh no! What have I done!" sort of thing). While that training is taking place, you get this long spewing of trash talk as she trys to "encourage" Yuuri to live up to her massively-overboard expectations (since, at the end of the day, even with his spiritual affinity, he's only a human). It's funny enough on its own, but what makes it especially funny is just because of a how huge of a contrast it is to the normal image Mashiro gives off.

The whole point of the contrast, basically, is to get a better understanding of Mashiro's character. Although she sometimes might look like a submissive housewife to the untrained eye, she's anything but weak or helpless. She a god, and she tries to act in a way she feels is befitting (except when she's in "fight mode" -- and then we'll just say that she's a vengeful god... )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 14:17   Link #45
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The whole point of the contrast, basically, is to get a better understanding of Mashiro's character. Although she sometimes might look like a submissive housewife to the untrained eye, she's anything but weak or helpless. She a god, and she tries to act in a way she feels is befitting (except when she's in "fight mode" -- and then we'll just say that she's a vengeful god... )
You know, that line reminded me of Inukami and a certain situation with Nadeshiko (Actually, the whole setup sounds a wee bit like inukami, though i expect it to be more serious based on the comments here).

Anyways, thanks for explaining. I think i have a reasonable clue what to expect of Mashiro (pretty much what i imagined from the start ), so will just have to see how it plays out in live
Such comedic bits notwithstanding, i gather the story can be considered reasonably serious in tone ? If that is the case, i hope the anime remains that way. Not necessarily because i would place all too much value on 'faithfulness', but because often such transitions simply lead to lesser characterization and storytelling. Above all else, i am hoping for a decent show
Old 2008-12-20, 15:32   Link #46
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Such comedic bits notwithstanding, i gather the story can be considered reasonably serious in tone ? If that is the case, i hope the anime remains that way. Not necessarily because i would place all too much value on 'faithfulness', but because often such transitions simply lead to lesser characterization and storytelling.
Yeah... I guess I would put it this way. If they just did a straight adaptation of the game, I would expect that each story arc (2-3 episode set) would have all of the following in roughly equal measure: home-life scenes, school-life scenes, heroines-being-cute/romantic scenes, action scenes, dramatic scenes, comedy scenes, and supernatural/backstory scenes. So the whole story is very balanced -- I'm thinking something like a Shana or an Index in terms of balance, but with a bit more emphasis on romance, and bit less emphasis on action/fighting (it's seinen, not shounen). Or a bit like a much-more-serious/grown-up Inukami, as you mentioned, or maybe a less-80s-style Ah! My Goddess. It's sort of hard to draw an exact comparison; maybe someone else who played the game can think of a better example. In any case, the main point of every episode should be character development or plot, even if it has silly/comedic elements.

Mashiro's dream is that humans and spirits (Tayutai) can co-exist, and she sees herself as a sort of intermediary who can make that happen. So Mashiro's optimism and the whole theme of being a bridge of understanding permeates the story. Maybe the best way to explain it is just to go to the game site and watch the two OP movies with the music turned on. I think they do a very good job, just through the music and visuals, of giving a pretty good sense of what the "feel" of the game is.

But, anyway, all that to say, even if they aren't faithful to the original story, I agree with your hope that they stay true to the tone and theme of the original story, because that's really one of the things I like best about it. (Though, of course, I'm partial to the original game story too, so it'd be great if they stuck to that as well. )
Old 2008-12-21, 02:28   Link #47
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

One thing that worries me a little about this one: a friend of mine pointed out that ANN's entry for the studio making the series lists nothing else to their name, meaning that this adaptation may be by a first time studio. Will be interesting to see how they pull it off, I guess.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 10:34   Link #48
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
So I'm sort of getting a picture. But what type of character is Yuuri?
With out giving much away he's the type of person who wants to break away from tradition... he's also a M (Well at least in Mifuyu's route he is. )
Quote:
I just hope there isn't a heavy-duty tsundere among the front lines to disrupt my enjoyment
I wonder does Mifuyu classify as "heavy-duty"?
Old 2008-12-21, 11:05   Link #49
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Mifuyu doesn't fall into the tsundere archetype. Sure she has her tsuntsun-deredere moments, but overall she's hardly tsundere.
Old 2008-12-21, 14:03   Link #50
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
One thing that worries me a little about this one: a friend of mine pointed out that ANN's entry for the studio making the series lists nothing else to their name, meaning that this adaptation may be by a first time studio. Will be interesting to see how they pull it off, I guess.
That's only because whoever did that misread the Japanese report and didn't do any research. Acchin is not the name of a production company, it's the handle (i.e. Internet nickname) of one of the Media Factory producers. The original Moon Phase post clearly said Producer not Production.

So anyway, that's an error. Submitted the report.

And yeah, I agree that Mifuyu isn't a tsundere-type at all. Even "ojou-sama" is a bit of a stretch because she's not really haughty. Basically, she's the girl at the All-Girls Academy that everyone wants to call "Onee-sama" -- strong but beautiful, commanding but graceful. If she seems distant, it's not because she's "tsuntsun", just because she's on a whole other level.
Old 2008-12-21, 21:06   Link #51
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Regarding Yuuri, he's not as archetypal or stereotypical lead as most eroge leads are (as are most of LoS's characters as a whole). He's pretty level-headed, calm and reasonable but he also has his emotional moments, like when he gets irritable and moody whenever things get to piss him off. He can be a badass when the situation calls for it, or be totally sympathetic of other characters and offer emotional support to them when it counts.
Old 2008-12-22, 05:08   Link #52
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
That's only because whoever did that misread the Japanese report and didn't do any research. Acchin is not the name of a production company, it's the handle (i.e. Internet nickname) of one of the Media Factory producers. The original Moon Phase post clearly said Producer not Production.
Oh that's nice to know, I hope a good studio gets it than.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 12:08   Link #53
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Exclamation Official Site Launched!

The official site is online! http://www.tayutama.com/

Animation production by Silver Link (relatively new production company, as some had feared). It looks like it's all the same VAs as the game. Character designs are simplified, but very similar to the game. They're apprently using the music from the game with some added pieces (as they use game music in the trailer, the game composer is in the production credits along with another composer), and they're most definitely animating the scenes from the game.

Warning!: The trailer on the site contains massive game spoilers. In fact, it contains nothing but spoiler scenes from the game, for the most part. Other people who've played the game, please don't give away what those game spoilers are, even though they're obvious to you. (Some of the spoilers are so obvious, though, that anyone will get it.) For people who are spoiler-averse, you may want to avoid the trailer.

Anyway, if anything, they're definitely trying to give the impression that the story will be true to the game. And if that's the case, I'll be one very happy person.

Edit: On the arguably more negative side, the show is being directed and planned by the team that worked on School Days and Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka. I'm not personally a very big fan of those two eroge adaptations, but I still have some hope given that the trailer is so full of game scenes. If they actually stick to the script rather than doing their own original stuff, it could turn out fine. The planner also worked on Utawarerumono, which I liked. So we'll see...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-12-26 at 13:37. Reason: Added director/planner note
Old 2008-12-26, 15:56   Link #54
Avisch
Reality Blender

Yeah whoops. Got spoiled. Oh well. Most of it was imaginable.
Is the character designer the same as the game's? Cause I mean the resemblanceto the original artwork is pretty incredible.

Looks interesting.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 16:28   Link #55
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
Is the character designer the same as the game's? Cause I mean the resemblanceto the original artwork is pretty incredible.
It's a different character designer, but it's definitely intended to be quite close to the original designs. The simpler lines and the way they did the mouths gives the characters a slightly younger look, but overall I'd agree that it's a very close adaptation in terms of the look of the characters.
Old 2008-12-29, 12:25   Link #56
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
The official site is online! http://www.tayutama.com/
Been trying to access it for a while now and I still can't. Probably hammered by traffic?

Quote:
Edit: On the arguably more negative side, the show is being directed and planned by the team that worked on School Days and Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka. I'm not personally a very big fan of those two eroge adaptations, but I still have some hope given that the trailer is so full of game scenes. If they actually stick to the script rather than doing their own original stuff, it could turn out fine. The planner also worked on Utawarerumono, which I liked. So we'll see...
Ooooh...okay, here we go. Now I feel it. The rage...

Spoiler for Observation about trailer based on the game:

(PS. I am now looking forward to Nue and loli Mashiro scenes as well as the domestic violence)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-12-29 at 12:34. Reason: Added spoiler tag
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 12:31   Link #57
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Been trying to access it for a while now and I still can't. Probably hammered by traffic?
It's been working for me (and still is now). Perhaps your DNS isn't resolving the server correctly for some reason? It forwards me to http://www.tayutama.com/blog/, where they've posted some Comiket Day 2 updates.

Edit: I added a spoiler tag to your post, simply because comparisons between the anime and the game based on future events are supposed to be spoilerized. The problem is, as I said before, the trailer does make it totally blatant what game path they're following, unless those scenes are just going to be in the OP or something and not in the show (because it's unlikely they'd already be working on the last episode...).
Old 2008-12-29, 12:39   Link #58
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Righto. Noted. Yeah, it's probably a DNS problem. And I'm fine with the spoiler tag in that post of mine.

Okay, now I'm pretty open to the idea of having Tayutama animated.
Old 2008-12-29, 12:45   Link #59
Westlo
Lets be reality

uh... seeing that the team behind School Days and Akane Iro is behind this is quite the downer... who knows maybe they can redeem themselves with this series.. if they do.. hopefully they don't throw it down the drain in the last episode for a cheap twist...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 11:02   Link #60
archanfels

I'm late to the party, so sorry for thread necromancy, but as a big fan of the original game, I feel like putting in my 2 cents.

Totally not surprised the game's getting an anime AND an expansion. It was great and when I was playing and I thought it had a good chance to be turned into an anime. And as a big fan, this news makes me happy.

HOWEVER, I somehow totally expect the anime to fail. The graphic doesn’t look as polished as the original game(which was a big selling point, the game won 1st place in character design and 2nd place in overall graphic in Galgame Awards 2008), and I have no idea how they’re to handle the plot (which likely is gonna be Mashiro route). Somehow I can see it either being so uncharacteristically plain, that nobody will remember it a week after airing, or so wickedly weird people won’t even bother finishing it. The fact that the director is the same guy who made School Days anime also gives me a mixed (read bad) feeling.

At least they kept all the original CVs (for the ladies at least) which is a big plus.

What’s really to look foward to, is the upcoming game sequel (though IMO it’s more like an expansion) “Tayutama - It’s happy days”. It’s an obvious market move but very likely also designed to compensate people like me who got traumatized by Mashiro/Ameri ending in the original game :P

Finally, that preview on the official page is so darn spoilerific it’s not even funny.
archanfels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, eroge, kemonomimi, romance, seinen, supernatural