AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-07, 13:15   Link #1
shadowlord_756

Something along the lines of...

Well, I just finished strawberry panic! and maria-sama (both spring and the original). I was wondering if there were more series with the same kind of feel to them. I liked the whole private school setting so I was wondering if anyone knew any animes that are similar. Oh yes, and I don't hate comedy but at the moment I'm looking for something more on the drama side and less on the comedy.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2006-10-07, 14:27   Link #2
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Well, you could try watching Kannazuki no Miko. Just like SP and Marimite, this one is set in a private school. And just like SP and Marimite, this is also a yuri anime. Btw, someone said Marimite season 3 will come out soon. When it will I have no idea
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-09, 13:12   Link #3
shadowlord_756

its not so much that Im into yuri as Im into an enclosed setting. Tired of having weird badly done plot twists ruin a series. Sometimes the whole conflict seems more like a sidenote than anything else.

Anyways thanks for the recommendation but do you know if its been licensed yet? Or only available on fansub?
Old 2006-10-09, 14:13   Link #4
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord_756
Tired of having weird badly done plot twists ruin a series.
You should avoid Kannazuki no Miko then, it sucked badly. Even the yuri elements couldn't save it from the horrible mecha designs, horrible and annoying bad guys, and contrived and overly cliche'd plot. Honestly, if I could claim compensation for the time I wasted watching it, I would.

Fruits Basket might suit you well. It's dark and serious at times, but also has some really heartwarming moments and some nice comedy too. It's licensed and 26 eps.

Highschool Girls (aka Girl's High) is a great series too. It takes a more realistic look at highschool life through the eyes of the six main girls and is very funny indeed. Don't be fooled by the immediate comedy though, there is some nice drama too through some of the eps. It's unlicensed (aired recently) and 12 eps.
Old 2006-10-09, 22:58   Link #5
shadowlord_756

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll take a look at highschool girls (seen fruits basket). Any more romance/drama animes out there that are fairly recent? (2003 or later)

So far I've seen:
Final Approach
Chobits
Da capo
Da Capo SS
Kanon
Air
Elfen Lied
Onegai Twins
etc...

Realized its kinda hard finding anime based on my criteria so I decided to revise XD
I don't mind having more than one couple or love triangles etc as long as it isn't too harem based.
Old 2006-10-09, 23:18   Link #6
jedinat

Nana and Bokura ga Ita are two nice ongoing romance/dramas.

Hachimitsu to Clover is a recent one that seems to be quite famous.

Aishiteruze Baby is nice, though the romance isn't so heavy.

Kamichu! is a supernatural slice of life anime with a little romance side plot.
Old 2006-10-10, 21:39   Link #7
shadowlord_756

*doh* can't believe I forgot to watch honey and clover. I was gonna see it during the holidays but I went on vacation and totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 2006-10-10, 21:57   Link #8
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord_756 View Post
its not so much that Im into yuri as Im into an enclosed setting. Tired of having weird badly done plot twists ruin a series. Sometimes the whole conflict seems more like a sidenote than anything else.

Anyways thanks for the recommendation but do you know if its been licensed yet? Or only available on fansub?
Well, why didn't you say so? Anyway, I second Da Capo season 1 and 2. Also, you could try watching Canvas 2 (don't mind about the first one), and To Heart 2 while you're at it. Another thing, Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~, recently came out, so perhaps checking that one too will be good. It's a nice anime btw.

--> Oh! and about your second question. Sadly, Kannazuki no Miko was licensed by Geneon already. So...finding subs would be waay difficult. So if you still want the series, then just go by the DVDs instead. All 3 vols. are out FYI
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-10, 21:58   Link #9
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

While it's not a romance, Haibane Renmei is a really nice little series that you will likely enjoy a lot if you liked Maria-sama. It's a little confusing to start but soon explains everything nicely. It was one of my favourites at the time and holds a high position on my most liked list.

jed will no doubt second this as well

Oh, and it's 13 eps + licensed.

edit: Cyz posted just before me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
and To Heart 2 while you're at it.
While To Heart 2 isn't bad as such, I'd recommend the first one over it any day. I grew bored of TH2 quite quickly, so it's lucky the subs were so far apart, since the boredom I felt subsided enough for me to enjoy the next episode each time to some degree TH1 kept me interested right through though. You might as well watch both though, if only for Tama-nee and the ultra-moe Konami-chan in TH2.
Old 2006-10-10, 22:20   Link #10
shadowlord_756

You know... every time someone suggests something I hit my head hard against my desk for not thinking of it earlier. Hopefully I'll have enough time to watch all the series you guys suggested XD. Probably will only have time for one series this week (PSAT coming up next wednesday, gotta study) but I should have some more spare time afterwards XD.

Man, they need to add in an extended holiday in autumn so far we only have summer holidays, winter holidays, and spring break
Closed Thread