Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-27, 00:27   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Microsoft, Nintendo ready to take Sony to court

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=7314

Quote:
After rumours broke at the end of last week suggesting Microsoft may be preparing to take Sony to court regarding the company’s 'Next-Gen Comparison Sheet', it appears Nintendo may have grounds for the same action.
In the sheet, Sony claims gamers will have to pay for online play on the Wii after the first six months – a point refuted by Nintendo itself. According to a representative from Mario and co., online gaming on Wii will be free forever - just as it is on the DS.

With misleading statements littered throughout the document, it would appear Sony’s attempt to justify the high-price of the PlayStation 3 in comparison to its rivals has fallen flat on its face – “To get so many so-called ‘facts’ wrong is disappointing,” analyst Paul Groves commented. “It’s almost certainly done the company more harm than good.

“If Sony honestly believes the PS3 is worth the high price – and some people certainly do – then it should be confident in that price, and not attempt to take needless mis-placed digs at other consoles instead.”

The Sony comparison sheet (notice how there is a lot of false info for X360):

Hahahahahaha....this is going to be the best console war ever. You know it is when two comanies out of three gang up and sue the current market leader before the new gen is even in full bloom.
Old 2006-10-27, 00:44   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

other than the hd dvd drive add on (does one exist?) it looks pretty accurate to me.

edit: o wait, sony does not have free online access do they? i think almost all the online ps2 games charge a service.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 01:05   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
other than the hd dvd drive add on (does one exist?) it looks pretty accurate to me.
The Xbox360 has a HD DVD drive add on so that it will be able to play HD DVD movies. This does exist. (Or is going to be released soon, I forget which.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 01:19   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

The thing is, they use a core pack for X360. Okay, first of all, the Silver Subscription to XBL is free, and secondly, they list free for the PS3 controller, but $50 for XBox...PS3 does come with a controller, yes, but so does XBox. They try to make it seem that you need to buy a controler on top of the console to use it, which isn't the case. So that is two strikes for Sony. Badly misleading people not in the know by misrepresenting XBox 360. Then, they select the Core X360 pack. 20% of X360 units on the market are Core packs. 80% are premium packs, the ones most bought. The one that should have been represented. Anyway, with a premium pack, at $399, people get the system, a controller, a 20 GB HD, and XBL Silver. You can see how this upsets MS by info being twisted like so. Many XBox fans have even pointed out that it is unfair to add the HD-DVD drive to the list, as MS is not pushing the format (unlike Sony) and it is definatley not a necessity; just a nice option to have. Anyway, Sony tried to manipulate things to try to make the PS3 prices more justifiable, and it may now cost them time in court. And that comparison sheet was on the official PS3 site, btw.
Old 2006-10-27, 02:17   Link #5
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
The thing is, they use a core pack for X360. Okay, first of all, the Silver Subscription to XBL is free, and secondly, they list free for the PS3 controller, but $50 for XBox...PS3 does come with a controller, yes, but so does XBox. They try to make it seem that you need to buy a controler on top of the console to use it, which isn't the case. So that is two strikes for Sony. Badly misleading people not in the know by misrepresenting XBox 360. Then, they select the Core X360 pack. 20% of X360 units on the market are Core packs. 80% are premium packs, the ones most bought. The one that should have been represented. Anyway, with a premium pack, at $399, people get the system, a controller, a 20 GB HD, and XBL Silver. You can see how this upsets MS by info being twisted like so. Many XBox fans have even pointed out that it is unfair to add the HD-DVD drive to the list, as MS is not pushing the format (unlike Sony) and it is definatley not a necessity; just a nice option to have. Anyway, Sony tried to manipulate things to try to make the PS3 prices more justifiable, and it may now cost them time in court. And that comparison sheet was on the official PS3 site, btw.
Sony manipulated but did not lie.

GOLD subscription, which they wrote, does require $$. You talk about Silver.

X360 Core is coming with A WIRED CONTROLLER. Sony compares Wireless.

HD DVD drive is by far the "truest" comparison factor. Microsoft should be rightfully analed left right up down for bringing that stupid shit in. I swear to god they WILL use it for games eventually.

Sony is evil. I know. They play tricks. Just like Microsoft. Or Nintendo. More malicious than Nintendo. Just as bad as Microsoft.

But if they're going to get sued for this, I laugh. Because they didn't do anything wrong to the letter of the law. Microsoft launched the lawsuit to muddle things up AND build on the current Sony hate, which obviously lowered your IQ as well. If possible.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 02:29   Link #6
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

So how do you explain the fact that Sony misled people into thinking Nintendo would start charging people for online access? Or that Sony compared the Xbox Core version instead of the premium?

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they do get sued over this. I just don't expect the lawsuit to go anyway.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 06:41   Link #7
Xiao Feng
Perverted Translator

Send a message via AIM to Xiao Feng Send a message via MSN to Xiao Feng Send a message via Yahoo to Xiao Feng
fan boy... do you really think they will spell "Blue" wrong? and i mean why the hell the spell check think is still there...

and besides even this is true, do you really one anyone of them to failed? do one of them failed. the other two will be EA and you all know what EA is doing to Madden after it got the right.

i have a 360 now and i will get both wii and ps3 later when it comes out. i support the game not the syste,. casue all three of them have the game i want to play.
Xiao Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 07:39   Link #8
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

.....If you're talking about the blu in blu-ray, I'd HATE to tell you this but that's how it's spelled.

Now to ROTFL.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 08:23   Link #9
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive add on:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hddvdplayer/

Its hardly "required" though, just an add on for those that want a cheap HD-DVD player.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 09:31   Link #10
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
muwahaha! sue sue sue!

Console Wars: Playstation Menace

Console Wars: Attack of the PSP

Console Wars - Revenge of the Sony

Console Wars: A Wii60 Hope

Console Wars: Sony Strikes Back!

Console Wars: Return of the Nintendo?

Believe in the WII60, My young Gamer!!!!!
Old 2006-10-27, 12:45   Link #11
Kamui4356
Aria Company

This seems to be little more than an anti-sony piece. First, it speaks of rumors of a microsoft lawsuit. It doesn't say microsoft is filing one. Sure, Sony is twisting the facts a bit, but that's called marketing. Microsoft has no grounds for a lawsuit, and with their team of experenced lawyers, I'm sure they know that.

Everything sony stated is true, though it's intended to be misleading obviously. The requires users to buy refers to things required for similiar functionality. *blu-ray player in ps3* Hense the hd dvd drive and wireless controller for 360 being mentioned. Sony only says nintendo online play will be free for 6 months, they never say anything about after that. If people want to assume that it'll be pay after 6 months, well it's not Sony's problem.

Rule number one, don't make assumptions to fill in incomplete data. As long as you follow that, your resistance to marketing will increase by at least 15%.
Old 2006-10-27, 13:04   Link #12
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
GOLD subscription, which they wrote, does require $$. You talk about Silver.
Yes, but Silver offers loads of downloadable content, so it's still online service.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 18:04   Link #13
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
This seems to be little more than an anti-sony piece. First, it speaks of rumors of a microsoft lawsuit. It doesn't say microsoft is filing one. Sure, Sony is twisting the facts a bit, but that's called marketing. Microsoft has no grounds for a lawsuit, and with their team of experenced lawyers, I'm sure they know that.

Everything sony stated is true, though it's intended to be misleading obviously. The requires users to buy refers to things required for similiar functionality. *blu-ray player in ps3* Hense the hd dvd drive and wireless controller for 360 being mentioned. Sony only says nintendo online play will be free for 6 months, they never say anything about after that. If people want to assume that it'll be pay after 6 months, well it's not Sony's problem.

Rule number one, don't make assumptions to fill in incomplete data. As long as you follow that, your resistance to marketing will increase by at least 15%.
That's pretty much what I thought as well.

Anyways, even without the HD-DVD add-on (out soon), the price of an Xbox 360 could be comparable to a PS3. One could argue that Xbox Live Gold isn't necessary for one to enjoy a 360, but that's one of the major reasons why the Xbox actually sold decently in the last-gen... Taking into account the average lifespan of a console (~4 years), that's about $200 you're gonna spend on a Xbox Live Gold account. That alone accounts for the price difference between the respective packages of the 360 and PS3. While it's certainly a possibility that Sony could be pulling a fast one, so far the online service is touted as being completely free (the service, not the store or "marketplace" for all you 360 owners). But I digress. The fact is the PS3 is, for the hardware itself, 200 bucks more than the 360. If you don't like it, that's okay, no one's asking you to like it. (I'm using 'you' as a general term here). I find it stupid that Sony put out a comparison sheet like this in the first place, but I guess they really feel the need to convince the public.

All in all, whatever. This is kind of old, and while Sony was certainly misleading in its wording ("requires"), I don't think it's enough. They'll probably be required to change the wording of the comparison sheets, but it just isn't anything big enough for Sony execs to lose any sleep over imho.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 18:07   Link #14
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Go go Wii60

This would be a delicious taste of their own medicine after putting Lik-sang out of commision (bastards, now I have nowhere to get an NTSC Wii or an S-Video cable).

May or may not be an outright lie, but it's no doubt intentionally misleading at least.

This would serve them right for being so complacent and treating their customers like idiots. Even Sony fans deserve better gameplay, not just graphics
Old 2006-10-27, 18:24   Link #15
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
The Sony comparison sheet (notice how there is a lot of false info for X360):
Uhh that alot of false information
1. you don't HAVE to but the HD-dvd reader and the Hard drive for the 360
2.if you buy the preimum you get a wireless controller, hard drive, and HD cables and more I think I haven't checked the box for awile

anyway you pry already knew this but I say send sony to court! Make fullauto 2 and warhawk for the 360 and wii .
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 18:28   Link #16
ImperialPanda

Sue? Sue them for what? "Rumor?" Is some silly UK publication a little spiteful over Sony? Rofl my waffle.

Anyways, it confirms what I said already. Notice how the comparison doesn't attack Nintendo at all. Sony doesn't care about the Wii.

BTW: The chart can be easily mis-interpreted, but there isn't even any blatant lie. Example, it says Nintendo's online is free for the first 6 months, but that's far from the same as saying nintendo's online is not free after those 6 months. It's your mistaken interpretation.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 19:16   Link #17
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Regardless of the merit of any impending lawsuits Sony might be facing, it's yet another PR blunder on their part. E3 2005 was the last time I remember being excited about PS3. Since that point it's just been downhill, and it's all cause of Sony. They can't seem to open their mouths without it blowing up in their face.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 19:18   Link #18
shadowlord_756

Why does everyone insist that Nintendo has good gameplay? It may or may not be more focused on gameplay but that doesn't necessarily mean that the gameplay for Nintendo is actually better than other systems. Correct me if Im wrong but last I checked xbox and playstation hardware has higher specs than Nintendo systems (thus the higher price). Sure some games may be better in some aspects than others but saying that Nintendo has good gameplay and that Sony has good graphics etc is over-generalizing.

Btw while I don't exactly condone misleading people to improper conclusions, this is definitely not going to hold up in a court of law. And Sony did mention that they were comparing the core xbox 360 bundle with the ps3 so the extra costs in the list make sense. Obviously this isn't going to boost their reputation or anything but it is true in that if you want the exact same features you will have to pay those extra costs. Of course each console does have its own merits and they are not necessary but that doesn't make the chart necessarily false.
shadowlord_756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 00:16   Link #19
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda View Post
Sue? Sue them for what? "Rumor?" Is some silly UK publication a little spiteful over Sony? Rofl my waffle.

Anyways, it confirms what I said already. Notice how the comparison doesn't attack Nintendo at all. Sony doesn't care about the Wii.

BTW: The chart can be easily mis-interpreted, but there isn't even any blatant lie. Example, it says Nintendo's online is free for the first 6 months, but that's far from the same as saying nintendo's online is not free after those 6 months. It's your mistaken interpretation.

The Nintsoft Wii60 Alliance will deefeeaatt yoooouuu!

But i'am your father, Mario...

NooooOoOoOoOoo!

Old 2006-10-28, 01:18   Link #20
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

nintendo has always had good gameplay, they have never really had the best graphics. xbox has pretty bad gameplay. ask yourself this question can anyone in your family pick up the game and have fun? if the answer is no, you might want to check your evaluation of a system having good gameplay. now dont be mistaken, when people say nintendo having good gameplay we are talking about first party titles, zelda, mario, animal crossing etc. etc.
other than halo what can you say has good gameplay for xbox? i cant think of a single title. wait wait, rally cross challenge 2, i think that is a first party title?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote