Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-31, 23:06   Link #1
Tenken

Send a message via AIM to Tenken
Arrow What are DVD must haves???

I'm going to have some money soon that I would really like to get some really good anime DVD's. So if you have any recommendations that you think that are must haves please list them.

So far, this is what DVD's I have:

GTO
Berserk
Gundam 0083
Trigun
Cowboy Bepop

I have all the DVD's for those. I would like to get Escaflowne and Kenshin, but I have seen some of the episodes already. So, I'm looking for new, must have DVD's.

Thanks
Old 2004-05-31, 23:36   Link #2
Silver_Scorcher

Hmm. Depends on your tastes I guess. Seeing as your a Kenshin fan, the OVA's are a good start. My most prized set of DVD's would have to be RahXephon so I'd recommend that too. Evangelion Platinum Edition as well when it comes out later this summer. If your into comedy, Excel Saga, Golden Boy, Chobits, FLCL, Azumanga Daioh & Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi are good too. But that's just my opinion. You may wanna get a couple of anime magazines to help too. Newtype-USA and Anime Insider are what I use to decide what titles I'll buy.

Other titles I'm buying this summer:
Last Exile
Miami Guns
Gravion
Wolf's Rain
RahXephon Tagen Hensoukyoku (I think it comes out this summer...)
Infinite Ryvius
Gundam SEED
Zeta Gundam
Escaflowne (If I can find the boxed set)

Last edited by Silver_Scorcher; 2004-05-31 at 23:54.
Old 2004-05-31, 23:48   Link #3
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Few good movies you might want to consider since you only listed series:
Akira
Jin-roh
Princess Mononoke (anything Miyazaki really...)
Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust
Grave of the Fireflies
Ninja Scroll
Old 2004-05-31, 23:53   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Must have:

- Last Exile

And corrupt yourself with:

- Abenobashi Magical shopping district
- Azumanga Daioh. ^^
Old 2004-05-31, 23:59   Link #5
Griffith

Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion (wait for the remastered Platinum Editions that will be coming out soon, though.)
Great Teacher Onizuka
Chobits
Old 2004-06-01, 00:07   Link #6
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Essentials:
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Ninja Scroll
Jin Roh

coming soon:
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Old 2004-06-01, 00:40   Link #7
Arwyn

I would have to go for;

Last Exile- decent story, gorgeous visuals
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust- decent story for a movie, great visuals
Neon Genesis Evangelion- mecha, schoolkids, the apocalypse, the meaning of life
Raxepheon- similar to NGE above, but the characters and story are tighter, better music too.
Ghost in the Shell- story, music, visual, and just one of the coolest sci fi animes out there.
Jin Roh- dark story, incredibly well done, great visual atmoosphere
Perfect Blue- psychological horror par excellance!
Full Metal Panic- Comedy, action, mecha, school, it rolls it all up into once series and pulls it off successfully.
Old 2004-06-01, 01:05   Link #8
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

My small list:

Azumanga Daioh
GTO
Full Metal Panic
Cowboy Bebop
Old 2004-06-01, 06:38   Link #9
oDin01

My must have list
FLCL
Last Exile
RahXephon
Gasaraki
X Tv
Gatekeepers and Vandread
and Ai Yori Aoshi
Old 2004-06-01, 08:57   Link #10
LynnieS

[opinion]

The only ones that I, if I was in your place, would absolutely must get along the same idea as your other series are "Mobile Suit Gundam - The 08th Team", "Gad Guard" (when it comes out in R1), and "Last Exile". The Keishin OVAs are also quite good.

Others, if you're willing to go outside:

All are R1 discs -

"Voices from a Distant Star"
"Millennium Actress"
"Tokyo Godfathers"
"Azumanga Daioh"

... There is also that sad post-WWII title that I can't remember its name right now. Very high emotional impact, but still good.

Edit - Grammar mistake corrected:
Old 2004-06-01, 09:05   Link #11
Suikun

Well, I could go off recommending all the well known must-haves like Berserk and Last Exile, but to avoid being repetitive, I'll list some of the series I have on DVD that aren't as popular but are definitely worth having in your collection.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
If you like mech series, then this one kicks ass! It's about a guy named Chirico who, when on a mission to retrieve an unknown something on this space ship, finds this girl sleeping in like a cryo-chamber thing. Turns out this is what the group Chirico was with was looking for, but they didn't want Chirico to see it. Their solution? A well placed time bomb in an attempt to get rid of Chirico. It doesn't work, and Chirico wakes up to find himself in a strange city, where he eventually encounters this girl from the cryo-chamber again, and realizes her great powers.

It's a very gritty and dark series, one that not too many people mention, but I'd easily put right next to Escaflowne as one of my favorite series of all time. It's 52 episodes long, across some 16 discs or something. I got it real cheap from Right Stuf.com when they were clearing off their DVDs, and now the thing is basically imposible to find. I did hear rumors that a new boxset of it was going to be made soon, so you might hold off for that.

Tokyo Godfathers
This is a fairly recent release. It's a movie about a group of three homeless people (a young girl, a transvestite guy, and an old man) who come across a baby laying in the trash, and they then vow to find the mother themselves to avoid giving the baby to the police (where he'll just be transfered from one shelter to another) and ask the mother themselves why she threw the baby away. It's very comical while being very touching at the same time; I'd put it on my must-have list.

Now and Then, Here and There
A very powerful 13 episode series about a boy who is transported to a world where water is a delicacy, and a nasty ruler oppresses his people in his attempt to gain control of the water via this one girl who has the special ability to produce water. It gets pretty dark and disturbing, but if you don't mind that type of thing, then this is highly recommended. Central Park Media released a boxset of this, and it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Old 2004-06-01, 10:41   Link #12
Tenken

Send a message via AIM to Tenken
Thanks for all the good replies and keep em' coming .

I have seen all of Kenshin (it's my favorite anime of all time), including the 3 movies (and the first one that is 4 parts) and all the series. I've seen Last Exile and Gasaraki, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, I own the Perfect Collection EVA Box Set (what's the Platinum thing coming out? What's that about?), Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, Gundam Seed, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, and Wolf's Rain.

I hope what I said didn't come across as slamming everyone here who posted a suggestion. I asked for your opions and you gave them to me and I'm very greateful for that. I should have been more clear and listed what I have seen already. I've seen most of the good fansub stuff and what I have listed above, but I'm open to anything else. As far as what stuff I like, I like just about anything except real kiddy crap or hentai.

Also another question, where do your buy your DVD's from? I've been looking on Ebay recently and there has been a lot of good deals on there. Any tips on buying or places to buy would be helpful.

Thank you
Old 2004-06-01, 10:50   Link #13
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Recommendations:

Anime on DVD keeps a list of titles that are released and widely enjoyed. Visitors often discuss series and nominate series for addition to the list and have rather good reviews of suggested series. Take a peek here and see if you might want to grab anything:

http://www.animeondvd.com/discdata/essential/index.php

And you can pretty much follow any of the links on the Anime on DVD website, they all go to legit retailers. Check the Retail and Sales forum, as well as the Retailer reviews (under Disc Reviews) for suggestions on where to buy.

Ebay is a bad place to buy, most of what you find on there is bootleg. Avoid it like the plague.
Old 2004-06-01, 11:13   Link #14
Final

Must haves:

Akira
Ninja Scroll
Nadesico
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Princess Mononoke
Read or Die
RahXephon

Depending on your taste:
Roujin Z
aria
green legend ran
FLCL
Blue Submarie No.6
His and Her Circumstances
Love Hina
Ghost in the Shell
Hellsing
perfect blue
Old 2004-06-01, 12:10   Link #15
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Must haves:

Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei

--Cless
Old 2004-06-01, 12:58   Link #16
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

I can't believe that nobody's mentioned this yet:

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross

This is one of the true classics of anime, the show where the GAINAX animators apprenticed, and one of the most jaw-dropping shitkicking transfers of all time. Not to mention an incredible subbing job from AnimEigo with their standard book worth of liner notes. It's also quite affordable, as DeepDiscountDVD has the discs for about $14 each. Just make sure to get Macross and not Robotech.
Old 2004-06-02, 07:48   Link #17
Boxy

Send a message via MSN to Boxy
Top 6 best stuff i've picked up so far in Australian DVD stores are:

FLCL
Voices Of A Distant Star
Rahxephon
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Panic

oh and Excel Saga, there are so many good ones i cant keep track anymore.

Hey i was wondering from anyone who had seen YukiKaze (i think thats the correct spelling), Someday Dreamers and Scryed on DVD what they though of them. Im a big fan of Scryed in Jap and was wondering if they desicrated the characters (especially the voices) in the DVD's.

For all of us that have seen Voices of A Distant Star, wasnt that amazing especially when most of it was done by one guy (the animation that is).

I cant wait to buy Azumanga Diaoh when that comes out

Last edited by Boxy; 2004-06-02 at 07:50. Reason: Adding More Content
Old 2004-06-02, 12:43   Link #18
jennwenn

All the Ghibli movies and everything by Satoshi Kon! Oh wait, that's my list heh.
Old 2004-06-02, 12:54   Link #19
7thMethuselah

Hmm, classics that just about any anime fan should have/see

- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Cowboy Bebop
- Akira
- Ghost in the Shell
- Rurouni Kenshin OVA : Remnicense
- Full Metal Panic
- Love Hina
Old 2004-06-02, 13:27   Link #20
kapaostudios