AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-09, 01:39   Link #2101
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Send a message via MSN to Lizzie Send a message via Yahoo to Lizzie
I already have CCCP codecs as well as some other codecs and WMPC. The issue is just figuring out which version of the series to commit time to downloading. If CG had their episodes separated instead of a batch, I'd have downloaded the first episode of both types of rez they're offering and would have determined for myself which would run on my computer.

I'm not new to downloading anime but I am new to actually caring about what resolution and type of video format I'm getting.
Old 2010-04-09, 03:09   Link #2102
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
True but even after stating her love she still keeps acting tsun tsun by being mean and putting him down with her words for her personal satisfaction.
Exactly. Tsundere's are only supposed to do that because they Can't Spit It Out. If Senjougahara really was a tsundere there would be no reason for her to.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 05:40   Link #2103
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC730 View Post
I ran into the same sort of dilemma you had, Lizzie when choosing between which groups. Personally I think they are both great. But since THORA is behind by so much, I suggest sticking with Coal Girls. The great thing is that Coal Girls have soft subbed so you may remove their subs and use another groups script if you wanted.

Now I don't know where to get the scripts individually but I'm finding that one out. But make sure if you find one it's timed to the Blu-Ray version.

Here's a group comparison to show some differences:
http://www.ji-hi.net/bakemonogatari/index.html

Now they don't show the Blu-Ray groups but THORA takes qq and II subs .ass files and times it to their Blu-Ray plus editing of some bits. They translate everything they can on screen as you can see in the pictures while the others don't. It may annoy you, it may not. It's really up to you. Coal Girls does the same except they use Koharubi's script for dialogue if I remember correctly. Coal Girls already covers episode 1 to 10 and have a set date for the next disc which includes episodes 11 to 13. While THORA only has episodes 1 - 5 and no news of progress at all. Coal Girls has mistakes but they said they'll fix them for their next release. Hopefully this helps.

The 720 and 1080 issue really depends on what purpose the show serves as. Is it something you'll watch over again? Or you want to enjoy it on your own television screen? Personally I think 1080 is definitely better because the quality. Now my computer is really slow... I mean slow like it lags the audio for 1080p. So I rarely keep it with .ass subs, that means I encode the subs on to the video itself on my own time so my computer doesn't have to deal with it. If you're computer is the main source for watching and it's too slow I can help fix that problem. But it's better with a Blu-Ray player and a USB.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
I myself asked these once, and had to find out myself so I know quite a lot about .mkv files and their quirks with computers and players now.

Hope this helps!

@ omimon, Thank you! That would be much appreciated!
http://www.mediafire.com/?0lygmzonetg

Just bare in mind that I'm not perfect and that it's entirely possible that I could have changed something that I shouldn't have.

Also, I pretty much took out all of the flashing text translations since they are timed pretty badly and it's like getting a double-dose of flashes. Also, for Mayoi I changed the "stuttered" thing to the "real" translation.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 05:53   Link #2104
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
The fan-service is portrayed quite well in this anime, it's because it they actually develop the characters in the plot quite well. Other fan-service in other anime sometimes feel out of place and really off the plot. But Bakemonogatari does a good job of implementing it!
...though they still go overboard sometimes. I've been meaning to rewatch the Nadeko Snake arc...but really haven't been able to bring myself to sit through all that fanservice again. Like Hanezawa Kana commented in the atogatari, was it really necessary?

As for Araragi's reasons for helping everyone...one of them seems to be that he doesn't actually see much value in his own life...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 07:09   Link #2105
AC730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
I already have CCCP codecs as well as some other codecs and WMPC. The issue is just figuring out which version of the series to commit time to downloading. If CG had their episodes separated instead of a batch, I'd have downloaded the first episode of both types of rez they're offering and would have determined for myself which would run on my computer.

I'm not new to downloading anime but I am new to actually caring about what resolution and type of video format I'm getting.
Ok! Then you really only have four choices, being that there is two groups and two subs. And not to be critical here, but I use BitTorrent and can you not select which individual files you can download? Because over in Australia we have a Download Capacity so we have to be wary of and I always have to limit what I download by choosing files within the batch. As for the quality, they both provide the same format so it all depends on the subs and that's up to you. I would recommend Coal Girls, 720p for computer while 1080p for HDTV.

@ karice67, well the level of fan-service is really differs from person to person. I again think some does help character development but I would agree some do go over the edge. Araragi doesn't value his life? I would agree with that, you could say he feels like he owes everyone something, but it may also do with the fact he knows he is not completely human. He wants to be one but he knows he is not.

@ omimon, thank you! I'll be sure to check it out!
AC730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 07:21   Link #2106
Azuma Denton
~AD~

GG subs retimed to Zero-Raws BD Rip

For eps 1 to 8
http://www.zeia.org/files/bakemonoga...rs.zip.torrent

For eps 9 and 10
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=111481

For eps 11 to 13
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=116347

Credits to original uploader
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 07:35   Link #2107
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't know if it's been a subject of discussion before, but I'm wondering about the fanservice in Bakemonogatari. Bakemonogatari is anime that, to me, attempts to play around with many of the tropes typically associated with harems. The typical nice guy lead is being deconstructed as he realises that doing the nice thing all the time means hurting people aswell. The typical "Guy sorting out the Girl of the weeks problem" is also deconstructed because every one of them is...well...a monster that could kill him. Senjougahara as a Tsundere was actually subverted because it didn't take long her to just spit it out and that wasn't even the reason behind her tsun or dere in the first place.

Now keeping that in mind, I'm generally not okay with fanservice and try my best to stay away from that kind of thing. But i haven't really had much of a problem with it in Bakemonogatari, because in this anime I can't help but feel as if the fanservice itself is being portrayed as somewhat...fetishy and disturbing. Almost as if the fanservice is also being deconstructed aswell. Does anyone get that feeling as well or am I just over-analysing?
Bakemonogatari isn't really THAT much different from other shows with the way it handles fanservice. It's just that the overall package is so nice you can kind of... get drawn into it without even noticing. The supernatural dealings and the heavy dialogues also help a lot in distracting the viewers from all the service, to the point some people didn't even realize it was mainly a harem show. Well, maybe Harem isn't the right word, but I agree with omimon when he said a few pages back that it's mainly a story about boy meeting girls and that people shouldn't take it so seriously.

The thing that makes Bakemonogatari so great for me is that it mixes elements from different genres into one show, and it works suprisingly well.

Oh and for me, Senjogahara is more of a kuudere than anything. She mostly insisted/pretended on being a tsundere for comedy reasons.
Old 2010-04-09, 07:50   Link #2108
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

Pro-tip: you only need CCCP + QuickTIme (for iTunes and only if you use it), everything else only causes troubles since CCCP already supports everything under the sun (except real media but who would want to watch that?)
Old 2010-04-09, 13:08   Link #2109
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Quote:
Ok! Then you really only have four choices, being that there is two groups and two subs. And not to be critical here, but I use BitTorrent and can you not select which individual files you can download?
Actually ... I do. I completely forgot I had the ability to do that. *Facepalm*
Old 2010-04-09, 13:53   Link #2110
zato_1one

Senjougahara acts meanie because she is really a mean person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Wow, i had no idea people had so much faith in me. I can't do it right now since I'm writing a paper, but I'll get to it after.
Paper? Do you mean research paper in educational conference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I tried the 1080p version and my computer (a 2,6GHZ core 2 duo) has trouble keeping up with the soft-subbed flashes at the beginning of each episode (you'll get what these are as soon as you watch the show) so I say stick with the 720p version for maximum enjoyment.
My CPU is 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo and it runs fine. You should use coreavc (not free) or divx h264 (free) codec. They are much faster than libavcodec in CCCP. You can also try using your graphic card to render by activating DXVA mode.
Old 2010-04-09, 17:38   Link #2111
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Senjougahara acts meanie because she is really a mean person.

Paper? Do you mean research paper in educational conference?

My CPU is 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo and it runs fine. You should use coreavc (not free) or divx h264 (free) codec. They are much faster than libavcodec in CCCP. You can also try using your graphic card to render by activating DXVA mode.
More like an assignment I had to do and I pulled an all-nighter.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 18:12   Link #2112
Morbus

Quote:
I think the point of Araragi helping others in his case is because he knows what it's like to deal with these 'oddities'. The fan-service plays as role being that all the 'victims' are all female in this case. Now Araragi isn't so much as a nice guy as he is more a Samaritan that wishes to help others.
Many MANY anime overemphasizes this. I've just watched Baccano!'s ep 12 and there's this one character who's all confused why someone who barely knows here would help her at his own expense when she finds herself in a threatening situation.

This is just a mechanism to involve the viewer. I don't know about other people, but I find most people would do the exact same thing: you go in a train, you sit next to a strange, you spend 10 minutes of pleasant conversation and then the stranger is captured by bandits. I find it hard to believe that there are many people who'd just stay quiet as if it was nothing to do with them... I for sure wouldn't.

Araragi's case is basically the same: he has the means to help someone, and he does. In the end, he has very little to loose. AND he's a pervert. That probably helps. It's perfectly understandable that he'd be more keen on helping cute girls. In any case, he had little to loose with Senjogahara's case and little to loose with the loli girl (I forget her name...). The two following cases are under a bit different circumstances, and the last case is a matter of pride. It's not unnatural behaviour, the series just chooses to emphasize it. And it works, if I'm honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oh and for me, Senjogahara is more of a kuudere than anything. She mostly insisted/pretended on being a tsundere for comedy reasons.
Same here, although I have no clue what a kuudere is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
(except real media but who would want to watch that?)
True that. I use k-lite codec pack, though I've used CCCP in the past. For real media (which I DON'T watch, but still can watch if I need to) I use Real Alternative.

Real media is really aweful, I can't understand why anyone would even think of using it for anything at all ever in the whole of creation.
Morbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 19:18   Link #2113
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I have CoreAVC and it doesn't help since the slowdown only happens during the flashes at the beginning. It's probably my slow ram that does that. Also CoreAVC doesn't support DXVA (yet) and I don't have CUDA.

Anyway this is off-topic
Old 2010-04-10, 02:10   Link #2114
AC730

Quote:
Actually ... I do. I completely forgot I had the ability to do that. *Facepalm*
Haha! No worries there! Hopefully now you can decide on your own now?
I would love to hear your verdict between the two groups as well. There also new scripts posted by omimon and Azuma Denton, which I have yet to check out.

@ Morbus, you could say it is human nature to help those in need. I mean even though we are in a world filled with bad people. There are still people with good nature to help out a stranger. I mean we see this in the news sometimes, no? Even if its life-threatening. If I won't help, who will? That's the kinda thought that Araragi thinks of. Well I assume it is... LOL! The pervert part and all victims being girls is the fan-service part and it plays out very well.

@ Kanon, I agree that harem isn't the right word to describe this show. If you search around the internet, databases classify this as a supernatural show plus romance. Combining all these elements, clever dialogue, good animation, and some fan-service = One Good Show.
Old 2010-04-10, 20:05   Link #2115
Marion
The Great Dine

I'm surprised that its categorized as Mystery/Horror on some databases myself - I mean seriously, the extent of the horror was probably the Suruga vs Araragi battle and to some extent Nadeko being attacked by the snakes (some extent, because half of that scene was used for blatant fanservice with her poses). As far as the mystery goes - Oshino pretty much solves what has to be done in about five minutes of the show, so it really isn't that much of a mystery at all

Although romance - I guess to some point yeah. Hitagi being Araragi's girlfriend, Hanekawa being the love rival and Nadeko being a creepy underage stalker you can say that there is a romance element. Supernatural is obviously there. But I think it does count as sort of a harem: not all the girls are in love with him (4/6, not including Mayoi and Suruga. Twins not counted in the denominator as potential interests) but the ones that are in love are clearly trying to get his attention. Only reason it doesn't seem to count as a full harem is because one of the girls already confessed and he accepted.

Quote:
good animation
pff. okay that gave me a good laugh. Bakemonogatari is hardly animated at all compared to most shows out there.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 23:41   Link #2116
Kagetsuchi
Where's my Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post

pff. okay that gave me a good laugh. Bakemonogatari is hardly animated at all compared to most shows out there.
See the episode where the main character got his guts torn out.
Old 2010-04-10, 23:59   Link #2117
AC730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
I'm surprised that its categorized as Mystery/Horror on some databases myself - I mean seriously, the extent of the horror was probably the Suruga vs Araragi battle and to some extent Nadeko being attacked by the snakes (some extent, because half of that scene was used for blatant fanservice with her poses). As far as the mystery goes - Oshino pretty much solves what has to be done in about five minutes of the show, so it really isn't that much of a mystery at all

Although romance - I guess to some point yeah. Hitagi being Araragi's girlfriend, Hanekawa being the love rival and Nadeko being a creepy underage stalker you can say that there is a romance element. Supernatural is obviously there. But I think it does count as sort of a harem: not all the girls are in love with him (4/6, not including Mayoi and Suruga. Twins not counted in the denominator as potential interests) but the ones that are in love are clearly trying to get his attention. Only reason it doesn't seem to count as a full harem is because one of the girls already confessed and he accepted.

While I agree with most of what you have mentioned, I think it is dominantly based on all these supernatural themes as it is categorized. Why? Because if we removed that theme I honestly can't classify this anime other than to be a harem where its got one guy around running around fixing girls problems. Other than that it's the interesting combination of 'romance' + supernatural themes that make it interesting.

As for the animation, I agree there hasn't been a plethora of action scenes that shows of the flair of the animation. But there are scenes where it is absolutely just amazing. Something like the first episode maybe? It surprised me with the quality of the animation. Not the amount. The scenery is also very noteworthy in some episodes. I agree SHAFT does cut out many scenes or makes mistakes, but they get the job done right in the end on the Blu-Ray/DVD Release. Even if it does take like months...

As for the harem thing, Suruga does take a liking to Araragi as well in the novel if I recall correctly. Wasn't stressed in the anime, for example walking up to the shrine in Episode 9? She assumed it was a date in the novel. As for Mayoi, she is more like a best friend where Araragi can act as his true self around her: LOLICON! We see that in Episode 13? You also forgot Shinobu also likes Araragi, but it is not mentioned Bakemonogatari, mentioned in other novels.
Old 2010-04-11, 04:40   Link #2118
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
As for the harem thing, Suruga does take a liking to Araragi as well in the novel if I recall correctly. Wasn't stressed in the anime, for example walking up to the shrine in Episode 9? She assumed it was a date in the novel. As for Mayoi, she is more like a best friend where Araragi can act as his true self around her: LOLICON! We see that in Episode 13? You also forgot Shinobu also likes Araragi, but it is not mentioned Bakemonogatari, mentioned in other novels.
Man that made me laugh way more than it should have X3.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 14:06   Link #2119
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Hmm, I appear to be having issues with audio lagging quite a few seconds behind the action. And not just with one subber group...

Edit: Actually it just seems to be an issue with Windows media player classic for some reason. VLC player runs it fine. Odd.
Old 2010-04-11, 18:08   Link #2120
Morbus

Media Player Classic has a setting for audio time shift. It's a very good feature, and I'd expect every decent media player to have it. You might want to check it, or use it to "unlag" the audio.

Don't use VLC player. It sucks.
Morbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural