AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-09, 16:23   Link #1
fujipon

Opera won't load AnimeSuki.com

Hello everyone,

I can load the AnimeSuki forums with Opera, but not the main page. Internet Explorer and Firefox can load the main page however, which is why I'm confused. I've done complete reinstalls of Opera yet nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
fujipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 17:17   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What version of Opera are you using and what operating system are you using it on? Were you able to load the main page with Opera in the past? When you say that it doesn't load, what happens - does a part of the page load, does the browser display a white page and think it's done loading, does the browser seem like it's loading the page but nothing comes up?

One thing that I can think of is that you may have somehow added something critical to the main site to your "blocked content" list. To make sure that this isn't the case, follow along:

Go to Opera Preferences
Go to the "Advanced" tab
Go to the "Content" subsection
At the bottom there should be a button labeled "Blocked Content" - click it. A pop-up should appear. Are any sites listed?

If you actively use the "block content" feature, don't wipe the entire thing. Look for something obvious relating to AnimeSuki. If you've never knowingly used the feature, select everything and delete it from the list.

Another possible issue could relate to your cache. To quickly clear this, follow along:
Click on the "Tools" drop-down menu and select "Delete private data"
Don't hit delete yet! Select "Details" to see a list of what can be deleted. For our purposes, "Delete entire cache" is the only option that needs to be checked. Uncheck everything else, unless you're OK with it being wiped.
Click "Delete" to perform the wipe.

Let us know how it goes. If one of those fixed it, which one was it? If they didn't fix it, did it change Opera's behavior with the site?
Old 2008-04-09, 18:43   Link #3
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I thought it was an isolated problem. I have this problem as well. When I try to load it up, it takes a long time "loading" before saying, "Could not connect to remote server"

I'm using Opera 9.25 [I don't know if the newer version fixes the problem].

Clearing the cache doesn't do anything. Nothing in the Blocked Content that seems to be related to AnimeSuki.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 18:46   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm using Opera 9.26 and Opera 9.27 on Mac OS X systems and there isn't a problem for me. Unless there's a specific reason you're not upgrading, please upgrade to 9.27 and see if the problem remains. OceanBlue, have you also verified that AnimeSuki loads for you on other browsers? If it won't load on other browsers, the problem may be with your internet connection/router.
Old 2008-04-09, 18:58   Link #5
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It loads for me on other browsers, but it seems that even after upgrading it still produces the same error.
Old 2008-04-09, 19:19   Link #6
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Works for me using 9.27 and 9.50 beta.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 19:26   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What's the behavior of Opera when it doesn't load AnimeSuki? Does it give you a white page and show that it's finished loading, or does it just sit and do nothing but stay in the loading mode?

It's unlikely, but try to disable your firewall and connect to the site. If it works, please mention what firewall you were using.
Old 2008-04-09, 19:33   Link #8
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It takes a while to load [White screen], and then displays the, "Error. Could not connect to remote server." screen. Same error with the firewall turned off.
Old 2008-04-09, 19:38   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Ah, that error. Try some of the servers listed here and see if you can get any of them. Were you ever able to open the main page with Opera?
Old 2008-04-09, 19:44   Link #10
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

www.animesuki.com [California, USA] did not work. Could not connect to remote server.
animesuki.mangaitalia.com worked.
www.animesuki.com [Germany] did not work. Could not connect to remote server.
animesuki.sandwich.net worked.
animesuki.allanime.org worked.
animesuki.rut.org worked.

I was never able to open the main page with Opera.
Old 2008-04-09, 19:57   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Seems to be something DNS-related, although it's strange because your other web browsers were able to access it just fine. I'd imagine that most web browsers use DNS direction based off of the OS, though. I can't help you much further than that, I'm afraid; we'll have to wait for someone who knows a bit more about web browsers to reach a conclusion and possible fix.

If you've the time, can you also provide the following information:
1) Your ISP
2) Your router/network setup, and any special settings that you've made
3) Assuming you're on Windows, open a command prompt (Start > Run > command.com) and type the command "tracert www.animesuki.com" (without the quotes). What is the output?
Old 2008-04-09, 20:03   Link #12
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm not very knowledgeable technology-wise, so I'll provide as much information as I can with my limited understanding.

1. My ISP is Bellsouth.
2. I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. I'm using a Westell modem, and the only thing I've configured are the opening of my ports.
3. I don't understand how to interpret the results.
Old 2008-04-09, 20:13   Link #13
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

I don't think it's your browser. I think the server is having problems answering your request. If you try again in like the next hour, it would probably work. I have experienced this on many websites with many different browsers.
Old 2008-04-09, 20:13   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
3. I don't understand how to interpret the results.
Well, as long as it doesn't say something like "could not reach destination" it's fine Sorry, I was grabbing at ideas.

The final test, to verify whether it's a DNS issue. Please enter this into Opera: http://69.42.221.126/

That is the AnimeSuki server IP. When you type in www.animesuki.com it gets redirected to the numbers. Occasionally DNS problems occur when the name as we know it isn't properly redirected to the numerical values. If you can connect to those numbers, the issue is with Opera and its DNS redirection. If you can't connect, then it's back to the drawing board ;P
Old 2008-04-09, 20:15   Link #15
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

@Synria: The problem with that idea is that I can load it in Firefox and IE while not being able to load it in Opera. I was able to load Animesuki today on Firefox right after I was able to load it with Opera.

That being said, before today I haven't tried using Animesuki with Opera for around 3-5 days.
Old 2008-04-09, 20:16   Link #16
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

http://69.42.221.126/ works.
Old 2008-04-09, 20:33   Link #17
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You mentioned that www.animesuki.com occasionally works in Opera. Does it work now? If it does, I'm not 100% convinced that it's a DNS issue. The next time that www.animesuki.com doesn't work, try that IP (assuming that they don't change IPs that often). If it does work, try www.animesuki.com again. If it doesn't work, then open the command prompt again and type in this command:

ipconfig /flushdns

That'll flush your DNS cache. If it works, good. If it doesn't, we'll need an Opera expert.
Old 2008-04-09, 20:35   Link #18
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

www.animesuki.com has never worked with Opera.

Mirrors with alternate names and the IP address works.

Attempting to flush the DNS cache.

Edit: www.animesuki.com does not work with Opera, even after the DNS cache flush.
Old 2008-04-09, 21:30   Link #19
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Reinstall Opera. If it's loading on other browsers, then it's obviously opera's problem. I'll go through the usual, download the latest, make sure updated, etc.
Old 2008-04-10, 01:25   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm getting a sense of locally (in your region/ISP/etc) poisoned DNS cache in some intermediate server/router. You can directly add the animesuki IP addresses to your local HOSTS file for now I suppose... I had to do the same with a few addresses a couple of years ago that absolutely refused to resolve properly with any DNS servers in my region.

Makes me wonder if Opera is using its own list of DNS resolution instead of the defaults. Weird.

Tags
browsers, ipv6, opera