AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-13, 10:13   Link #141
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
I wasn't really asking for suggestions but Bokurano was an earlier anime; also read the manga years ago and I don't really remember much focus on the parents except for 2-3 kids I think. My memories wonky on this granted though. Narutaru does a better job from the same author.

As for the other two, from the synopsis alone, don't think it's my cuppa.
I wasn't suggesting, just naming a few anime popping to my head where parents have prominent roles and/or are the main characters... and yes Bokurano probably seems old to younger viewers
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 11:15   Link #142
Tenzen12

I think in Evangelion parents also played important role
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 11:47   Link #143
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
They did, but that's old even by my standards
Old 2013-10-13, 12:28   Link #144
OkamiNoKaze

This show is pretty cool. I was impressed by her scooter that folded into a case, but what made it awesome is when she unfolded it into a grenade/harpoon launcher. For some reason I'm reminded of RWBY. Between the Goldfish from this and Sakura the Horse, this seems to be the season of awesome animal side kicks.
Old 2013-10-13, 12:42   Link #145
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
No at all. There was only one relevant parent (Gendo) and he didn't even fill in the role of father figure at all so it doesn't count.
Old 2013-10-13, 13:43   Link #146
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No at all. There was only one relevant parent (Gendo) and he didn't even fill in the role of father figure at all so it doesn't count.
Well, not being a "successful" parent doesn't mean that he didn't have ample screentime failing to be a "good father". Now, I don't want to spoil the TV series, but Yui and Kyouko dominated most of the action scenes, while the former was the driving force behind the whole series, while the second's relationship with Asuka is the subject of her development from start to finish.

Talking about "fail" parents, that's actually quite persistent with anime. Here the mother totally ignores the fact that her daughters were assaulted, caring more about the image of her family, while insulting their father... and when the shit hits the fan, unlike her ex-husband, she did absolutely nothing
Old 2013-10-13, 14:03   Link #147
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Nope, there was mother too and she had important role. But it's not exactly same case as in GD (I hope so), maybe they will pull something like Summer wars instead? That would be nice.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 14:04   Link #148
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Well, not being a "successful" parent doesn't mean that he didn't have ample screentime failing to be a "good father".
No that's not it. To fail you at least need to try, but he wasn't even trying to be a father in the first place. That's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Now, I don't want to spoil the TV series, but Yui and Kyouko dominated most of the action scenes, while the former was the driving force behind the whole series, while the second's relationship with Asuka is the subject of her development from start to finish.
We only see those characters in flashbacks and such. That's not what we're talking about I think. We're talking about on-screen, present time actual family dynamics. I think that's what's lacking in anime, either functional or dysfunctional.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-10-13 at 14:29.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 14:15   Link #149
ujiuji

I hope the parents continue to be important. As others have written, their presence is refreshing. I get the impression there is more than one group of antagonists, Cicinho's group, which seems relatively small-time, and the much nastier and more dangerous group that raided the mine at the beginning of the episode. Is there some sexual tension between Hazuki and Cicinho? If, at some point, she breaks a slate over his head I'll smile.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 15:19   Link #150
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Ferrari sister avatars! Free for anyone to use, even the Hozuki one. Especially the Hozuki one.

Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 19:32   Link #151
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I watched this on a whim and loved it!

That little one is awesome! Goldfish mecha? That's original!

Didn't care too much for the two other sisters, though I'm liking the tension between Kamiya's character and the older sister.
Old 2013-10-13, 20:08   Link #152
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I didn't know where this show was going at first, but it reminded me of Sasami@Ganbara-whatever's three sisters, with pretty distinct styles, but unlike there, I've enjoyed what we've seen with these three sisters =03.

I also like, as someone said elsewhere, the way that the cute moe girl, instead of just being cute, moe, and helpless, just saw her family in trouble, and calmly went back to her hideout, start her ship, and fight them back. Certainly a series I'll be keeping my eyes on =03.

Oh, and the moment I saw that guy with the long gun, I was easily reminded of Arc Rise Fantasia's Niko, ESP after I saw that gun...well, if he manned up x10 X03. Like Niko, he still seems like a bit of a bumbling idiot . I expect some him and Hazuki action later on in the series. I do love "mismatched" couples interacting, so I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 21:00   Link #153
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This one going to be good a loli with mechanical skills to make a goldfish ship
Old 2013-10-13, 21:03   Link #154
FateAnomaly

This is an interesting first episode.

It seems that the little girl is the super genius of the family. The eldest sister has guts of steel. The middle one, well showed nothing special except blend into the surrondings perhaps.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 22:33   Link #155
kagato3

Ok I'm going to ask something that probably should just be over looked. But how does a 13(?) year old build a spaceship the size of thier house in the basment with apparently military grade armerment and no one know about it?

Sorry can usually suspend disbelief but this is way beyond in a cave with a box of scraps level
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 23:19   Link #156
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not sure what the mom's going for with the Galileo thing. He died centuries ago. Let it go already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Ok I'm going to ask something that probably should just be over looked. But how does a 13(?) year old build a spaceship the size of thier house in the basment with apparently military grade armerment and no one know about it?

Sorry can usually suspend disbelief but this is way beyond in a cave with a box of scraps level
Put these two observations together, and I think it leads to this...

In this anime's universe, Galileo wasn't "just" a highly influential and groundbreaking scientist/astronomer. He was a super-genius. Basically, he was so intelligent that his intelligence was basically a superpower. Think of guys like Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, Lex Luthor, Dr. Eggman, and Dr. Wily.

Having Galileo as an ancestor is a big 'effin deal in this anime universe because it means you're inheriting super-intelligence and a super-legacy, and with that intelligence the youngest girl pulls off Dr. Eggman-level robotics/machine creation.

So, my theory is that this show isn't hard sci-fi where genius' are at the level of real world geniuses. My theory is that it's soft sci-fi on the level of a comic book, and Galileo was a super-genius.
Old 2013-10-14, 00:46   Link #157
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Put these two observations together, and I think it leads to this...

In this anime's universe, Galileo wasn't "just" a highly influential and groundbreaking scientist/astronomer. He was a super-genius. Basically, he was so intelligent that his intelligence was basically a superpower. Think of guys like Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, Lex Luthor, Dr. Eggman, and Dr. Wily.

Having Galileo as an ancestor is a big 'effin deal in this anime universe because it means you're inheriting super-intelligence and a super-legacy, and with that intelligence the youngest girl pulls off Dr. Eggman-level robotics/machine creation.

So, my theory is that this show isn't hard sci-fi where genius' are at the level of real world geniuses. My theory is that it's soft sci-fi on the level of a comic book, and Galileo was a super-genius.
My question wasn't about uer being able to design it but how is she able to get the building materials and assemble it .thats a lot of heavy lifting for a preteen girl
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 01:27   Link #158
whitecloud

Eeeemm...scrapyard? There seems to be an abandoned building where she entered earlier, maybe there are many of those, and she just make use of the material
Old 2013-10-14, 04:43   Link #159
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
- Mine. I feel like wanting a spicy italian with a dash of cool japanese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly
The middle one, well showed nothing special except blend into the surrondings perhaps.
- Most stereotypical middle kids tend to do that. Possibly setting up something for later, if the writer is halfway decent.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2013-10-14 at 07:27.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 10:13   Link #160
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post

Because anime.

Also, haven't you watched Star Wars episode 1? Clearly tweens can build highly competitive jet powered vehicles that will best anything the way more experienced and well paid racers can come up with and androids with human intelligence, while being slaves, no less.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, sci-fi, unintentional comedy