Notices

Old 2013-04-18, 23:14   Link #181
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Some like yaoi games.
Old 2013-04-18, 23:26   Link #182
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Thats how far you have to take it though- make a completely old, fat, smelly, drooling, saggy, balding, gasing, piece of a wreck of a female character.

At that point though I doubt even the girl gamers would want to play that
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 23:44   Link #183
Key Board
Carbon

I wonder if videogames should follow the comic book industry

USA: Everyone is exaggerated. Males are on steroids. Females are runaway models. Everyone looks silly. Take refuge in audacity.

Japan: Embrace the difference. Make a market for shounen, shoujo, seinin, jousei. Have monthly publications for each target audience.

"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 23:56   Link #184
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Thats how far you have to take it though- make a completely old, fat, smelly, drooling, saggy, balding, gasing, piece of a wreck of a female character.

At that point though I doubt even the girl gamers would want to play that
Or just make her Riply from aliens.... Or THE BOSS from MGS:SE... which would be awesome!
Old 2013-04-19, 00:12   Link #185
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Or just make her Riply from aliens.... Or THE BOSS from MGS:SE... which would be awesome!
I'm pretty sure there's a fanbase with the hots for manly women as well....
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 00:12   Link #186
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
And the world is moving to trap.

Oh wait, it's already happened.
Old 2013-04-19, 07:17   Link #187
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
90% of video games featuring female protagonists are in fact were never made for women such as Bayonetta and Tomb Raider for examples. While it is pretty obvious that Bayonetta was made for men and let's face the Tomb Raider(especially the new one) also made for men as well, despite the praise and recommendation.
HUH?

I mean, I won't deny that the target audience of a Tomb Raider game in general is the male population, but I cannot wrap my head around the "especially the new one" part. Is that serious? This last entry into the series is BY FAR the LEAST objectifying title of the entire series. If anything, it is the entry into the series that portrays Lara as the most... normal. And for that I love it. This Lara seems like she could be a real, everyday girl... one who takes a machete like a champ and keeps on trucking, but otherwise an everyday girl.

Don't get me wrong; I think the character model for Lara in this entry is beautiful, but the game does a pretty decent job (for Tomb Raider) of not objectifying her. Yeah, she runs around the whole game in a tank top, but it could be worse... and it historically has been. So, either way, whether I'm being an apologist or not, I still cannot fathom how THIS entry is "especially" made for men as compared to the previous titles.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 07:21   Link #188
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

At least traps are beautiful people.

This reminds me of one of the question I always wanted to ask about who is more fascinated by traps, women or men.

Granted there seems to be a huge predominance of them in male oriented media especially in the last decade. However you can find them often even in female oriented works like Princess Princess and more importantly it seems that they have a longer history in that department with old classics of shoujo manga like Haikarasan ga Tooru

Though I must admit I can't really think of a female-oriented trap in videogames unless it is a Visual Novel or unless it comes from some existing manga or anime.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 08:01   Link #189
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
HUH?

I mean, I won't deny that the target audience of a Tomb Raider game in general is the male population, but I cannot wrap my head around the "especially the new one" part. Is that serious? This last entry into the series is BY FAR the LEAST objectifying title of the entire series. If anything, it is the entry into the series that portrays Lara as the most... normal. And for that I love it. This Lara seems like she could be a real, everyday girl... one who takes a machete like a champ and keeps on trucking, but otherwise an everyday girl.

Don't get me wrong; I think the character model for Lara in this entry is beautiful, but the game does a pretty decent job (for Tomb Raider) of not objectifying her. Yeah, she runs around the whole game in a tank top, but it could be worse... and it historically has been. So, either way, whether I'm being an apologist or not, I still cannot fathom how THIS entry is "especially" made for men as compared to the previous titles.
New Lara is worse with her D cups S Rank super model face and lips. She never puts a jacket or anymore clothing that would help her a lot. She's worse...old Lara just had big polygon boobs but had at least her chest covered. Then they gave her cleavge friendly outfit.

They didn't shrink her bewbs, they made them realistic.
Old 2013-04-19, 08:26   Link #190
Xagzan

Quote:
New Lara is worse with her D cups S Rank super model face and lips. She never puts a jacket or anymore clothing that would help her a lot. She's worse...old Lara just had big polygon boobs but had at least her chest covered. Then they gave her cleavge friendly outfit.

They didn't shrink her bewbs, they made them realistic.
You are entirely too focused on the surface with this one. Yeah, she's pretty, big deal. But the game really never calls attention to it, or portrays her in a sexually objectifying, fanservice light. I'm also guessing she didn't have time to grab a jacket as she was escaping her exploding ship
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 10:33   Link #191
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
I still play both though maybe because that's the best for a female gamer like me can have even both are just Devil May Cry and Uncharted with women. Let's not forget there are games that marketed specifically for women but let's face it, they are shounen-ai/yaoi visual novels. While they worth millions(both dollars and yen) but they had very limited appeal. Despite being a woman myself I never saw two guys kissing as sexy(sorry yaoi fangirls). Most of us who never into yaoi just stick to Sims games. Not because we love them but rather the ones which more 'universal' one.
I did angst a little over what I initially saw to be the overwhelming majority of the gaming market being boys, and the eye-boggling amount of testosterones packed in these games are flipping scary. Although, I find that the gaming market has shifted over the years in awareness to the women that make up a good portion of the consumer base, and I did recognise that the industry at least attempted to draw them in, elements such as pretty boys (Raiden, Dante, Vergil ) and other obvious draws which I won't get into, but I'm sure you can recognise. Yes, it's laughably shallow and light years away from tapping into the female fanbase completely, but hey, I'll take what I can get. Other girls would be able to elaborate more on this, I assume, so I'll leave it at that.

In the meantime, if you haven't played these, please do! These are my all-time favorite games, 5-stars easy:

1. Dark Souls

My little sister introduced me to this one. No game has captivated nor frustrated me as much as DS, its tagline 'Prepare to die' is well deserved and its notorious reputation for being one of the most difficult games has almost instantly sucked me in. I screamed and nearly tore my hair out during some of the boss fights, particularly one that lasted four days until those mofos eat the dust. It's the game that unleashed the X chromosomes I never knew I had. I clocked in 80+ hours each in 2 playthroughs, and not once did I felt like I needed a break from this game, this was pure addiction.

This game offers a choice of male or female, but to be honest, you won't pay as much attention to that as you would salivating over your shiny Zwei Lightning or Demon Great Machete +15. Oh God, I can't believe I said that, so yeah. To date, there hasn't been any game so far that even came close to toppling Dark Souls off its top spot in my list.

2: Resident Evil series (4,5,6)
This game is one of a few titles that the girls in my family would devour (all 3 sisters, 3 female cousins and many girlfriends) We would spend the night over at one another's houses and the girls would play this well into the next morning. Since this franchise is rather well-known, I won't go into the deep details, only that it's worth your time and it offers a great way to go zombie raiding with the girls while bonding. My favorite arc would be Chris/Piers campaign, for obvious reasons.

I loved playing this, because the girls are just great support and would either cheer or bash your head in while playing.

3: Devil May Cry : DMC Reboot
Say what you want about this game, but I went in for the cheese, hot abs and the purely shiny weapons, and I got them. I loved the slick camera motions that glides over your finishing move, the men, just everything. Considering how I've never been sold into the previous DMC titles as much as this one, this is a thumbs up for me.

Honorable mentions: Tales series, Radiant Historia, will update as I go on.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but do let me know your impressions on these titles if you ever manage to play them. I won't deny that I sometimes wish for a good, solid game that appeals to my feminine side as well (think the brainchild of Final Fantasy meets Odin Sphere). If someone wants to pitch this in the future, know that you have 150% of my support.

Last edited by cheesie; 2013-04-19 at 11:17. Reason: Added linkie
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 10:39   Link #192
Destined_Fate

I don't like RE6... No Jill was a no sell. Especially with certain story events in that game.

You can't tell me that after all that happened in RE5 that Jill would have just sat on her ass while Chris was going through some serious BS in RE6. It's way out of character for her and if anyone can slap sense back into Chris it's Jill as she's the closest thing he has to a real relationship and she doesn't pull any punches.

Super Robot Wars has a lot of fanservice though most of it is clearly for guys and they don't really show shirtless guys in the OG verse. Though they at least make them pretty cool looking and handsome.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 10:49   Link #193
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I don't like RE6... No Jill was a no sell. Especially with certain story events in that game.
If I remember right, we were more ogling and cheering Jake, Piers and the boys on than being distraught over Jill's no-show; in fact, we completely forgot about her. It was purely all about the men, guns and zombie headshots... which says a lot about what we think of the storyline. Jake/Sherry combo were a great addition as well, which more than makes up for what didn't make it into RE6. Great times.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 11:00   Link #194
Destined_Fate

Jake is cool and all but the story parts that involved Chris made no sense with zero mention of Jill at all, especially hot after RE5. We don't even know what she's up too and there's no way Chris just dropped her off after all the trouble he went through in RE5 to get her back and how he would have even died if it meant saving her.

I'm just going to assume that Jill was just forgotten and by the time they remembered her they had already put in a lot of time and money on the new face so it was too late to go back.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 11:14   Link #195
JagdPanther

Quote:
New Lara is worse with her D cups S Rank super model face and lips. She never puts a jacket or anymore clothing that would help her a lot.
S Rank super model face and lips... I'm not sure that my idea of a Maxim cover model or a runway girl match up with yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
You are entirely too focused on the surface with this one. Yeah, she's pretty, big deal. But the game really never calls attention to it, or portrays her in a sexually objectifying, fanservice light. I'm also guessing she didn't have time to grab a jacket as she was escaping her exploding ship
I agree with this. It's not called out. And I still argue she's more normal than in the past. She is generated as a pretty girl. I'm not sure the problem is.

And you're right; the whole point of the game is that she's shipwrecked with little stuff. Looking past the upgrading of weapons, she is scavenging for what she's using. Could they have put in her scavenging a jacket when she's in the snowstorm? Yeah, I think that would've been a good move, but other than that she's on what appears to be a somewhat warm island. I don't see much that is inappropriate otherwise.

Old 2013-04-19, 17:38   Link #196
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
New Lara looks like a normal person. Her chest isn't anything to write home about--it's actually proportional for her build. Just looking at her I can tell you they aren't any bigger than mine and I'm not particularly well-endowed, either.

She's pretty, sure... but plenty of normal people are pretty. I can find eye candy equal to or better-looking than new Lara any day of the week, just by walking around the UC Berkeley campus.
Old 2013-04-19, 19:02   Link #197
ZODDGUTS

There's a game called Divinity: Original Sin, RPG game inspired by Ultima VII. The Ultima series inspired the Dragon Quest series incase you didn't know. The two protagonist are brother and sister. You can control either character. Right now it's going through a Kickstarter if you want to support this type of game your looking for:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-original-sin
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 20:27   Link #198
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
She's pretty, sure... but plenty of normal people are pretty. I can find eye candy equal to or better-looking than new Lara any day of the week, just by walking around the UC Berkeley campus.
And that's kinda my point.

Old 2013-04-19, 20:57   Link #199
sa547
*Author

I remember that years ago my older sister played the entirety of Silent Hill on the Playstation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Wait until he actually plays the game.
Old 2013-04-19, 22:10   Link #200
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
New Lara looks like a normal person. Her chest isn't anything to write home about--it's actually proportional for her build. Just looking at her I can tell you they aren't any bigger than mine and I'm not particularly well-endowed, either.

Think I just got sick of seeing her face every damn Ad on Deviantart. lol