AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-27, 13:48   Link #1401
elior

sailor mercury actully looks 100 more moe in her new design
Old 2014-04-27, 18:30   Link #1402
Birdway
Banned

Comparison:

Spoiler for Bigger size:

Last edited by Birdway; 2014-04-27 at 18:46.
Old 2014-04-27, 21:18   Link #1403
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well theres the voices now waiting for trailer

But still not get me hopes up
Old 2014-04-27, 21:24   Link #1404
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Comparison:

Spoiler for Bigger size:
I actually prefer the new character designs over the original anime version. It's much closer to the manga style. I guess most of us nowadays are used to the more modern anime/manga character designs, so the SM manga style still feels a bit old school. But it's still nice to see the manga style being animated for once...but I still want to see Tuxedo Kamen/Mamoru...*pout*

...and darn it, will my wish to see Sailor Cosmos animated ever come true?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2014-04-27, 21:24   Link #1405
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Still not a fan of the 2014 designs. @_@
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-04-28, 00:05   Link #1406
zerodragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Still not a fan of the 2014 designs. @_@
i like some of their designs like Amy but i need to see this in anime form to get a good feel of it.
Old 2014-04-28, 01:07   Link #1407
elior

it seems the director of suite precure will be the one who directing sailor moon crystal
Old 2014-04-28, 02:13   Link #1408
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Well, I really don't know where they get the gigantic heads (or is it supposed to be the hair- those bangs look silly too) from. Looks absurd.
If they fixed the proportions, awkwardness and did something about the over saturation and broken limbs, it wouldn't be as horrid. But it's still below expectations.

Edit: Ami looks the worst imo. Her short hair really makes the absurdity of the large heads stand out.
Old 2014-04-28, 02:19   Link #1409
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Well, I really don't know where they get the gigantic heads (or is it supposed to be the hair- those bangs look silly too) from. Looks absurd.
If they fixed the proportions, awkwardness and did something about the over saturation and broken limbs, it wouldn't be as horrid. But it's still below expectations.

Edit: Ami looks the worst imo. Her short hair really makes the absurdity of the large heads stand out.
lets hope in the trailer or the actual show they will look better
Old 2014-04-28, 02:30   Link #1410
Sakuya
*Artist

Now that you put it side by side, it does look like they made an effort to base it off the manga's designs which it does successfully IMO. And I'm sure Takeuchi had a say about the colors this time since they hit all the right colors (pinkish-red instead of red for Sailor Moon's bow, and strawberry brown hair for Jupiter). I also noticed the anatomically-incorrect legs but I like that they are long and aim for the sexy look instead of the cute and young moe look that's so popular these days.

I honestly have no problem with the designs and am excited to watch it in action. But it being aired only on Niconico makes it seem like it'll be a short one-off special series instead of a start of a new franchise. I really hope I'm wrong. I also want to see the Outers and the Stars arc as it was meant to be seen!
Old 2014-04-28, 03:30   Link #1411
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't that just be the seemingly more or less normal too long and thin teen age girl legs? They are what, 13?
Old 2014-04-28, 03:36   Link #1412
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Actually, for me, the bangs are one of the few things in the designs I consider a large improvement. It's one of the elements from Takeuchi's style that I liked quite a bit (I have fond memories of making sure I drew them just right!) so I am happy they captured that in everyone's hairstyles well enough.

I also took note that some of the coloring is indeed more accurate to the manga, though I really wish Rei and Ami had darker hair. (Especially Rei... Black hair with a purple lowlight is just so sexy for her and it contrasted nicely with her outfit + the other scouts.)
Old 2014-04-28, 04:12   Link #1413
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Actually, for me, the bangs are one of the few things in the designs I consider a large improvement. It's one of the elements from Takeuchi's style that I liked quite a bit (I have fond memories of making sure I drew them just right!) so I am happy they captured that in everyone's hairstyles well enough.

I also took note that some of the coloring is indeed more accurate to the manga, though I really wish Rei and Ami had darker hair. (Especially Rei... Black hair with a purple lowlight is just so sexy for her and it contrasted nicely with her outfit + the other scouts.)
They kind of got the bangs wrong though they're much more... Err... Voluminous than they are in Takeuchi's style... They're actually just as weird, anatomically (proportionally) as the broken legs. I also like them in her style, which is probably why it sticks out to me how wrong they look. It makes me think of that movie, Hairspray... In a bad way xD

I do credit them for getting some stuff quite right, but other stuff could have been better. Rei's hair is on the list too.. It's just a tad too grey and light. But they could adjust that easily, at least. Same with the general over saturation.

I do not mind designs being slender, but they are 14 at this point... The faces and proportions would've benefitted from the more round style used in the manga- they could always have gotten longer legs and leaner features later.

Sigh.. Wait and see I guess, but my excitement is starting to die down again. Gundam unicorn this ain't.
Old 2014-04-28, 08:29   Link #1414
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Noo! Hisaka Youko wasn't casted as Mars. Was my biggest hope actually. :'(

Still, Kanemoto was a good pick. Can't stop fan-gasming with Itou as Venus though!

Now if only it wasn't bi-weekly...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2014-04-28, 10:24   Link #1415
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
If there's one series that excels at long-as-hell matchstick legs and super-thin waists, it's Code Geass; I mean, holy crap. One Piece comes in at a close second.

Although if you really want to see huge heads on tiny bodies, take a look at the way Mashima Hiro draws children in Fairy Tail. It's hilarious.
xxxHolic anime.....

Seriously, Watanuki and Doumeki look like.....paper cut-outs...
Old 2014-04-28, 10:32   Link #1416
AkumaPrincess
Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post

And I found this tidbit to be interesting: "The staff will make a new world feeling with the current technology." Which I did expect, even if his is closer to the Manga they can't keep a early 90s setting in this day and age. Maybe the Sailor Soldiers will have cellphones with them, and maybe I can set them up with a Steam account. Sorry, couldn't resist.
The reprint of the manga is a little bit more modern than the the 90s edition. Takeuchi updated from old CRN monitors to flatter screen and CDs instead of Floppy Disks.
Old 2014-04-28, 10:39   Link #1417
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Noo! Hisaka Youko wasn't casted as Mars. Was my biggest hope actually. :'(
I know tha feel.

Hey, at least we got Shizuka Itou as Venus no less!
Old 2014-04-28, 10:51   Link #1418
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
xxxHolic anime.....

Seriously, Watanuki and Doumeki look like.....paper cut-outs...
Actually, almost any of Clamp's works (or an Anime/Manga project they are involved as Character Design) have characters that tend to look a bit too thin. As in "Hell, they look like they've been starving on a secluded island for weeks!". Even though Clamp makes some good stories (well.......they use to IMHO) that was my one criticism of Clamp was their way too thin character designs. But somehow they seem to have made it work on animation, or rather the animators did.

Now the overall looks of the Sailor Soldiers I don't mind, in fact I like that they are heavily influenced by the manga. It's just that I think I got spoiled by the Sailor Moon promotional artwork, which I absolutely adored. But when I took a look a the promotional images for the rest of the sailor soldiers, well I guess I was expecting the same quality of artwork from the promo image. Which perhaps I shouldn't have expected. And I think that the artwork quality, rather than the style, is what has gotten people worried. But if there is one thing to keep in mind is that character art released before a show tends to look worse than how they are presented in the show. Take for example the Rosario + Vampire anime artwork and......woah, put down the pitchforks and torches! I know the anime was terrible, but please hear me out! Ahem, anyways on the R+V Anime website they showed character art and it didn't look impressive to me. They actually looked a bit terrible. But once I saw the anime, the art quality for the characters were better. In fact the art quality actually looked good for a TV anime. Though in heavy action scenes the animation quality did take a hit. In the episode where the Newspaper club met Ruby for the first time and fought her in the second part of the part episode, I noticed the animation quality took a nosedive. I'm hoping this doesn't happen in the new Sailor Moon anime since there tends to be alot of action.

This is why I wished that they would have released a trailer with the voice cast announcement alongside the character concept arts, so we can see how they *actually* look. I actually wasn't aware that they were planning on releasing the character concept arts for the sailor soldiers alongside the cast announcement (I thought there was only going to be a cast announcement) until the day before the actual announcement. And once I heard this, I thought that there may be some voices of concern about the quality since art quality for character concept art for anime shows tend to have less quality.

I'll wait for a trailer before I actually voice my concerns for the art quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaPrincess View Post
The reprint of the manga is a little bit more modern than the the 90s edition. Takeuchi updated from old CRN monitors to flatter screen and CDs instead of Floppy Disks.
Oh she did?! I guess I know why it looked strange when Usagi and Luna investigated the "CD" with the Dark Kingdom "Brainwashing" instead of a floppy. I only read the original manga from the second half of the first arc all the way to Super S so I missed out on some of the early stuff. But I do notice that in the video rental store they still had VHS tapes. I guess in the anime they'll be DVD and/or Blue Ray.

Maybe it's the internet geek in me that is talking right now, but I'm wondering if they'll slip in a few (well hidden) internet memes? On second thought, I doubt it since Japan isn't into internet jokes as the West. And that may be a good thing since I think the internet is slowly poisoning us. O_O
Old 2014-04-28, 14:00   Link #1419
DMurphy

I never saw the original series, or read the manga (although obviously I've been exposed to both via cultural osmosis) but I'm liking the designs for this one. I'll definitely check it out when it airs.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
Old 2014-04-28, 15:14   Link #1420
maximilianjenus
[E]

comparing fanart to animation designs is ridiculous , is like expecting the ghost in the shell anime to look like the shirow artbooks; when making charcter designs a lot of stuff has to be simplified ; if anything I am kinda suprised how detailed the heads are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Okay, anyone else finding Rino Satou as Sailor Mars hilarious in hindsight given one her better known roles?
do you mean mars accidentally using jupiter's skills ?
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo