3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.22%
Voters: 410. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-10, 03:58   Link #1021
dspr8_rugged
GN-001 Gundam Exia

Quote:
I wonder if it'll be while they're eating, and if Soma will say "We're lovers. By the way, you can call me 'mom'".
OMG. Plot twist.
dspr8_rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 04:02   Link #1022
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
At first I was really primed to disagree with you since you pretty much ignored the point about the 2 characters actually having a rational undertone, but as the passage continued to the end I find that I pretty much do agree with you…The love for the battle, for the fight; to let your ideals be represented by these suits of legend have always been one of my most loved aspects of Gundam…When a pilot has an overbearing passion or conviction while fighting it only serves to enhance that battle, which is just beneficial for the audience…But on the flip-side it does seem prudent that in a futuristic time not everybody is gonna feel the same way...To us Mobile Suits are l33t haXor amazingness, but for some it’s just a weapon or vehicle they have become familiar with.., It’s like now with the i-phone or something…Yeah it was cool, but after a while you realize it’s just a damn phone…Many look at MS the same way, but thank god for characters like Ali and Graham, and even to a lesser extent Patrick for giving fans like us (who love passionate fighting) a reason to be in awe…

To be fair about Garrod, IIRC he was gonna sell the Gundam for cash (like he did with everything he stole)…He really only kept the Gundam because he fell in love with Tifa (That seemed to make his love for piloting more effective)…After Caris and the Frost duo kicked his a$$ though he knew he had to get better or his girl would be captured…The rest was DOUBLE X history…
Yes, the Iphone is just a damn phone. Just like how in reality, most of us see cars as a form of transportation. Are there not a large amount of people who believe cars are more than just a transport vehicle? For some it's a way of life. I imagine in the army, airforce pilots and what not feel the same too. It only scales higher the more top of the line your materialistic desire is. Gundams and mobile suits in general are top of the line in 00. Sure, if I was a freedom fighter using those ghetto things I'd be just meh, but I really appreciated how the flag fighters were. Sure, you weren't the top of the line, but that doesn't mean people don't love their civics and what not. For a show that basically says Gundams/Mechas = Rich Cars or Jet Planes, there's a huge LACK of interest if you remove Ali and Graham. The two flag guys already got knocked, and they were the supporters of mecha love.

Quote:
To be fair about Garrod, IIRC he was gonna sell the Gundam for cash (like he did with everything he stole)…He really only kept the Gundam because he fell in love with Tifa (That seemed to make his love for piloting more effective)…After Caris and the Frost duo kicked his a$$ though he knew he had to get better or his girl would be captured…The rest was DOUBLE X history…
Thanks for reminding me. Actually it was the Frost brothers that loved mecha I guess. Garrod just had some annoying positive personality I guess, but maybe because Tifa was kind of innocent that I kind of overlooked it. Though the blue frost gundam looked plain stupid, the virsago looked beastly for it's time. Until it got upgraded T_T and looked like turd.

And for all these talks about Mask Man traditions, I'm surprised to see no one mentioning how UGLY the damn thing is. Like, I always thought Char had the best mask for it's time in comparison to every other mask in it's scale. Back then, the guy looked baller though obviously he looks retarded now. Zechs to me was a let down in a sense, but Tallgeese 3 was so uber with the rifle scene I didn't care. Oh and Zechs was unlike Char, who looked better without a mask. Char looks a bit weaker as Quattro (HENCE HIS DETERIORATING SKILLS) and was a total pedo the moment he hit CCA.

I haven't watched the lesser series like turn A or Victory, but I thought Rau's mask was pretty awesome. I was a late watcher for Seed, but the moment I saw him I was like, yeah this guy looks awesome. It probably had to do with Gundam Wing's more Yaoi drawing style when it came to humans and how Seed was more mainstream anime drawing. Miu's mask though just dropped 100 points, it was stupid and only encouraged viewers to remember "DONT WORRY GAIZ HE'S GONNA REMEMBER WHO HE IS".

Graham though, is to me, one half of char (the other being Ali) that is re rendered in high definition put into an updated Gundam series. It's a shame that he went from a cool looking ace who made the union uniform look awesome (compared to everyone else) and now has some weird tengu mask and wears nearly rainbow colored over coats. I mean, the ep 25 ending he at least had the Darth Vader look. How would you guys like it if Vader all of a sudden had power ranger patterns glowing bright neon on him? Well, not all of you are suppose to answer, but you get what I mean. This is the one factor that makes me favor Ali over Graham in S2, and that is Aesthetics. They were pretty equal, but this season he looks plain dumb SO FAR.

Then again, I'm probably the only one who thinks the replacements for Dynames and Kyrios look retarded. I mean, Dynames wasn't awesome to begin with, anyone who thinks otherwise is too enraptured with his few awesome features like his headlight goggles or the opening scene where he snipes out people from far below. Yeah in certain sniping positions, he DOES LOOK AWESOME. Did he look awesome vs Graham? ABSOLUTELY. Oh wait, who DOESN'T LOOK awesome fighting Graham? The man makes you SHINE even when you SUCK. But hey Dynames is a buddy gundam, no biggie. What really hurt is the upgrade. I may be wrong to judge now, but from the few pictures I saw, the thing does not look cool, but I'll withhold for now because this gundam's best parts come from using features, not just looking at it.

On a side note, one reason I believe Dynames and the new version will never appear to be awesome beyond certain moments is simply because it holds the role of a sniper. Yeah, sniper is a real role in an army. Guess what it does. It takes out CRUCIAL targets. In a mecha frenzy, where your GUNDAMS already have SUPERIOR MELEE to mid range fighting, the "back up" shots are in most cases, POINTLESS. Kyrios' gimpy machine rifle on burst mode had almost 100% accuracy in the earlier episodes, and with Hal it WAS 100% even on GN-X. There's no difference, and it makes Dynames look stupid, simply because of it's high upkeep of having to be still. Hence why Graham vs Dynames was awesome, because we finally got to see for a moment, Cowboy Lockon aka Strike Noir 00. Snipers should be used more by the Federation and what not, NOT the side that has the Godzillas and crap on their team. In fact, besides certain points like OH I SHOT U FROM SPACE, was there ever a point where another Kyrios would not have been better than Dynames let alone Exia? No. Gundam is about ever evolving beam rifles, and any mecha that finds itself put into the role of a sniper with any of it's weaknesses (SLOW, SETUP TIME, AIM 2 SHOOOT, etc etc) will quickly find themselves outdated as shit (DERKAAAA DERRKAA DERRKAAA) the moment some form of Freedom/X Cannons appear. Derka abandoned his crappy gundam for a Zaku man. A ZAKU. At least Yzak had his customized to have the same weapons, Derka just had....a ZAKU.

Kyrios was alright, very elegant, the jet plane deal is neat and simple. The Claws were okay, not too amazing, but Hal did a good job with his psycho to make it look scary for 2 seconds. Come S2, the damn thing has the ugly ass Death Scythe MK2 cape kind of concept going, and his jet turned into some kind of ugly marine life form? Oh please. Hopefully his animations show off so it's not a complete waste.

Fatty had the right upgrade. I mean, Virtue totally sucked balls. It was Fat Princess that had Jenny Craig as it's Bankai. This season, he doesn't retain the Hummer Mcdonalds eating American feel, but has the Veyron look. Fat but smooooooooooooth. The face on the back is plain weird, but hey, overall he's way cooler.

00 is loved by so many people, yet I can say for one I hate a part of it. Sure, the rest of it just looks a bit different, I can forgive that. In some ways, it's even better, since the shoulders SOMETIMES look cooler in action. But the SWORRDD. The SWORRRDD. Exia's DEFINED WEAPON. You go from a badass switch blade to some giant FF8 wannabe gunsword that looks like a power tool drill, and you tell me he's awesome? Or am I looking at the damn thing wrong? Please tell me.

Basically, doubts bubble up in me like no tomorrow, but hey I was like that for Geass R2 too, and I loved that thing. I can see this rivaling R2, maybe even be better determined by how well they play their storylines and seiyuus (none of them suck, well maybe Andrei but he fits the role SOMEWHAT; but very few have that "presence" and definitely NONE CAN MATCH LELOUCH Voice + Character).

:< But you can tell, I love this damn show, cause it hasn't even been ep 2, and I'm already spamming doubts.

Last edited by MooMooFarm; 2008-10-10 at 04:20.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 04:31   Link #1023
nutype
Future MD

^ i hear ya.

graham was totally forced into the masked man role by sunrise and his new appearance was pretty dumb.....he totally looks like he's dressed for halloween rather than being a legit ace pilot.
nutype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 04:48   Link #1024
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
^ i hear ya.

graham was totally forced into the masked man role by sunrise and his new appearance was pretty dumb.....he totally looks like he's dressed for halloween rather than being a legit ace pilot.
I think that's the point; legit ace pilots don't wear masks.

It's like how 00 explores the question of "What kind of child would fight in a Gundam?", and the answer they got was a Middle-Eastern child-soldier.

In the same vein, Sunrise is likely exploring the question of "what kind of a person would wear a mask all day"?

Setsuna is not a Japanese schoolboy. So there is no reason Masked Man would act in any way like Char. Masked Man would act like a deranged weirdo, like he is suppose to be.
Old 2008-10-10, 05:08   Link #1025
Theron
Professional Lurker

Speaking of Graham, I find it really hilarious that a proud Union officer is now looking like a Kabuki actor with this mask who’s playing some kind of bushido samurai from a legend or something... And his customized Ahead looks like samurai armor with those horns-like things and chest plates.

Isn’t that a bit too much of cultural change?
Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 05:15   Link #1026
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think another question is: "what kind of military would keep a deranged weirdo in its ranks?"
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 05:17   Link #1027
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Speaking of Graham, I find it really hilarious that a proud Union officer is now looking like a Kabuki actor with this mask who’s playing some kind of bushido samurai from a legend or something... And his customized Ahead looks like samurai armor with those horns-like things and chest plates.

Setsuna Eff Say Yay says no.

Quote:
I think another question is: "what kind of military would keep a deranged weirdo in its ranks?"
The kind that is run by tube babies with neon bright hair wearing transvestite dresses.
Old 2008-10-10, 05:36   Link #1028
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

You guys should just wait until we get to see more of Mr. Masked man. I do admit the masked looks pretty dumb. But at least hes not as lame as that masked guy in Victory gundam. I'm wondering if he'll be the good masked guy type or the last boss for Setsuna to battle. There's still Alli (whose more badass than graham). Though Graham looks pretty crazy too w/ his gundam fetish.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 05:39   Link #1029
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
You guys should just wait until we get to see more of Mr. Masked man. I do admit the masked looks pretty dumb. But at least hes not as lame as that masked guy in Victory gundam. I'm wondering if he'll be the good masked guy type or the last boss for Setsuna to battle. There's still Alli (whose more badass than graham). Though Graham looks pretty crazy too w/ his gundam fetish.
But we love gundam too much. That's why we gotta criticize :] so that by the time ep 2 comes around, our standards and mindset are SOOO low, that even the shittiest of episodes will make us go WOOOAAHHH AWEEESOME.

Come on man, it's pre-episode hype reverse psyche style. This is animesuki, how can you not know this?
Old 2008-10-10, 05:43   Link #1030
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post

I sure hope he unmasked himself later on in the series.
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 05:45   Link #1031
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

@Moo

I'm not a gundam addict so sorry. I do admit I've watched quite a plenty of gundam series though.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 05:48   Link #1032
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
@Moo

I'm not a gundam addict so sorry. I do admit I've watched quite a plenty of gundam series though.
Denial. Internet forums for anything truly productive are for addicts. It's just what level of addiction you fall in.
Old 2008-10-10, 06:12   Link #1033
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Graham was forced to put on a mask because of the producers. IMO, the reason why Billy stayed with him is because of his looks. Now he has masked himself, Billy decided to go straight and went for Sumeragi instead.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 06:31   Link #1034
Kelrys
Same old same

Lol, he would look better without the long ponytail.
Old 2008-10-10, 06:39   Link #1035
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Turn out to be that's not Graham....
I don't want to imagine what will the forum will be like at that moment.
Old 2008-10-10, 06:49   Link #1036
Kelrys
Same old same

Yea, a twist of who's behind the mask!
Old 2008-10-10, 07:07   Link #1037
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrys View Post
Yea, a twist of who's behind the mask!

It's actually Graham's sister or a clone!!!

Wait!! It's Graham's twin brother Mayham!!!
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 07:09   Link #1038
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's actually Neil Dilandy. Surprise!
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 07:12   Link #1039
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's actually Neil Dilandy. Surprise!
Initially it was my theory, too. Too bad he's not a virgo as he was born in March. Unless nyoron subs again messed up something with the translation of the first ep.

When the Masked Man said something like "BEing a virgo..." I was pretty convinced it is Graham.

Am I right?
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 07:18   Link #1040
Kelrys
Same old same

His voice is clearly the same