Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 13:49   Link #421
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 02:
Old 2011-01-14, 13:56   Link #422
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I reeeeeally wish more people would've read the novels. Seriously. So many questions in this thread could've simply been answered in the first two chapters of the first volume. =_=

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
it has already begun...

Spoiler for What mainstream viewers think of Gosick:
Humans are simplistic creatures. After a certain age, they apparently cannot go through any instance of life without comparing something to something.
Old 2011-01-14, 14:22   Link #423
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I reeeeeally wish more people would've read the novels. Seriously. So many questions in this thread could've simply been answered in the first two chapters of the first volume. =_=
That just shows the adaptation is lacking of this information. Why would people have to read the novels beforehand to understand the setup? That's really silly.
It is the responsibility of the scripters to make the adaptation self sufficient so newcomers would have the information needed. Otherwise, most adaptation wouldn't have any purpose considering it would just concern not even half of the audience.
That's a preposterous requirement.

Anyway, Episode 2 was definitely better, and raise the mood although it still lacks of a mystery flair, considering they are... a bit going too fast.
It is a shame because the setting right now is classic but all interesting (those who have played 999 probably got a lot of "deja vu" impressions), so I think they should have spread that much into more episodes or something.

That said, I wish they could simply make kujo mute or something, because his overreactions aren't really contributing, aside of being forced troubles here and there.

Oh and, surprisingly, the french used there wasn't bad at all, although I have no idea what is the first line considering the writing style a bit too curvey.
Old 2011-01-14, 14:27   Link #424
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've never read the novels, and i'm having no problems enjoying the first two episodes. I'll read the novels depending on how i feel after the series has ended.
Old 2011-01-14, 14:49   Link #425
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Spoiler for Episode 2: Staying for Dinner:

Overall, average episode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Episode 02:
Well yeah, the music still didn't stand out at all during this episode also. Shame because I know that he can produce some amazing scores.

Nakagawa-san, I still have faith in you >_<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Ah, no they don't?

I mean really the first chapters don't really give anything important that wasn't already given in some form in the anime already. The questions people are asking now are normal, as it's sort of the point to have the viewer asking question and being intrigued by what's going on and learning more about the characters.

People don't need to read the novels to figure out what's going on here.
Old 2011-01-14, 15:11   Link #426
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Everything is great except for the pacing. It's going waaay too fast for my liking. It's not that I don't understand what's going on. It's just I feel it would seem more 'mystery-like' if it went at a slower pace.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 15:45   Link #427
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I agree with that, if for only this episode. I liked the pace during the last one, but this episode felt like they really didn't care about the viewer feeling the atmosphere. Not that the mystery was that great in the first place mind you. It's still far too easy to figure out.
Old 2011-01-14, 15:49   Link #428
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2: Staying for Dinner:
Spoiler for episode two:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 15:50   Link #429
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2011-01-14, 16:36   Link #430
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Because Sherlock Holmes actually had to go down to the scene and get most of the information first hand.

Did you read the same Sherlock Holmes books I did? He did this sometimes, but not all the time. When people would first come to his office he would make all kinds of amazing deductions about them without ever leaving the office.

Ah well ... not a big deal, I guess. Perhaps the anime's further episodes will give you the sort of material you (and perhaps others?) are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
....In this case though, the suspected supernatural involving Victorique pulling knowledge out of thin air is just so ridiculously convenient that I just can't see any sane story using it.
Well, lets see where the anime episodes take the story - at the end things may become clearer as to whether it was poorly executed or well executed.
Old 2011-01-14, 16:53   Link #431
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Why does she put that smoking pipe in her mouth anyway? She never seems to actually smoke anything.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 17:14   Link #432
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I thought this episode really was a bit too fast paced. They removed a lot of the flashbacks with the children, which took out a lot of the impact on how incredibly cruel this experiment was. However, I don't think it was possible to show them without spoiling everything, since the flashbacks in the novel don't give you actual images of the children and you have to rely on the text to figure it out, but the anime doesn't have the liberty to do that. I think many people have recognized who was among the children on the ship ten years ago because of that one scene included.
Old 2011-01-14, 17:20   Link #433
maplehurry

ep2... major 999 vibe...
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 17:34   Link #434
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Entertaining. Especially Yuuki Aoi's laugh, and Kujo's courage. Personally, I haven't figured out the whole mystery yet, and don't care. It actually really bothers me when people complain that they haven't been given all the explanations before the story runs its course. I thought that was the point: to watch the story to find out what happens and why. But I admit I'm not much of a mystery watcher.

Nothing great yet, except for Victorica, but I'm having fun so far.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 17:55   Link #435
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It might just be me, but it isn't obvious who the perpetrator is for me. There are clues, but nothing conclusive.

Spoiler for Episode 2:
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 18:17   Link #436
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
This episode is not bad at all, but I think my greatest problem with this episode is...for a horror/mystery series, I don't really feel the suspense despite all the attacks and people dying. I'm really not sure why...maybe it's due to the pacing, not enough stuff/other character explained, or something else? Also, one part that's really strange for me, why does Maurice suddenly afraid of the water? They can safely cross afterward, but it seems like the end of the world for him. Sure he's scared out of his wits, but he's positively mental this episode.

Well, the very good thing here is definitely Yuuki Aoi performance as Victorique; that laugh of hers is simply fantastic. Nice to see Kujo getting fleshed out a bit too. Thanks to Maurice, now we know the true story of the Queen Berry. It is a really cruel experiment, it seems that it's for a ritual or something perhaps? And he says something about a hunting dog; so I assume there's an extra mysterious person silently killing them one by one, the paranoid kids (worsens by the fact that due to multiple nationalities, it's possible they'll find difficulty communicating with each other) starts to suspects and kills each other...maybe the survivors are those who managed to kill the real 'hunting dog' and survives? Well, one person for sure is that Arabian Maid from the last episode (who may kill the fortuneteller because she suspects her involvement in the QB?), and another one in the preview - I really advise you not to watch the preview. It could just be a fake out, but I still think myself an idiot for doing that. Hehhh, all these things about hares, and at the Year of the Hare no less....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Entertaining. Especially Yuuki Aoi's laugh, and Kujo's courage. Personally, I haven't figured out the whole mystery yet, and don't care. It actually really bothers me when people complain that they haven't been given all the explanations before the story runs its course. I thought that was the point: to watch the story to find out what happens and why. But I admit I'm not much of a mystery watcher.

Nothing great yet, except for Victorica, but I'm having fun so far.
Yeah, that's usually how it's supposed to be for me too, but when it's a detective show like this it's always fun to get the same clues that the detectives get, so that theoretically we should also be able to figure out the case the same time the detective does. For those not interested in this can just continue watching and see the detective explaining, but some can pause it and try to figure it out themselves. The most fun is if it's a cliffhanger for the next episode, then you can try to discuss and deduce it here with other people. Well, at least when it's a fair play whodunnit, where no clues is concealed.
Old 2011-01-14, 19:19   Link #437
witchfan

Impressions:

- That laugh....................
- If I hear Kujuou say how Victorique doesn't pay attention to corpses, while I haven't even seen him flinch, one more time...
- So what's up with the red lady pretending the door is locked? I didn't actually expect that trick to be used. :P
- I really wished Kujuo would get shot when he said "I won't let you!"
- Eliminating 7/10 of the suspects in 10 minutes was a pretty awkward move.

We all know who the "obvious" culprit is. Some circumstantial evidence:
- Being the first to wake up?
- Supposedly pretending the door was locked (one problem with that is her motive for doing so, but it's possible she wanted people to wait in the room until the lights off trick happened)
- Changing locations when the light switched from the door to near the ripped tapestry?

Plot implies it's either her, the actor, or both (although I can't entirely see how the actor is necessary for the mystery), as it were. If we examine the scene from a few years ago, we can see someone who resembles her, and someone who resembles him. The blond actor's angered response to Maurice is very in character, but might imply something else too. And hey, they're the only ones of right age (Btw, Saturn's note about the maid being one of them is spot on, too). The obvious conclusion is that one of them is, or both of them are, seeking an explanation, and revenge, for the events of several years ago. I don't like blaming the blond guy because he simply is not necessary for the crime as we understand it, so I'd say the red girl is most suspicious as sole culprit based on the information we currently have, but it's nowhere near conclusive.

In any case, they both have *something* special to do with this. If you think about it, they're the only young characters that were invited intentionally.

In other news, the hare thing is probably going to become the big mystery of the series, after the boat situation is solved.

Of course, I'm the anime format probably eliminates /ton/ of evidence, and makes things a lot more difficult to discern, so I'm not sure we're really able to come up with proper theories at present, unless someone clever notes something really out of place.

Last edited by witchfan; 2011-01-14 at 19:54.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 20:30   Link #438
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

The pacing was quite okay for me, and as someone who's read nothing of the LN, I'm still hooked, mostly because of the cliffhanger + victorique's usual antics. Still a good watch and is getting better by the episode, so I actually like that they're doing things, little-by-little.
Old 2011-01-14, 21:05   Link #439
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That just shows the adaptation is lacking of this information. Why would people have to read the novels beforehand to understand the setup? That's really silly.
It is the responsibility of the scripters to make the adaptation self sufficient so newcomers would have the information needed. Otherwise, most adaptation wouldn't have any purpose considering it would just concern not even half of the audience.
That's a preposterous requirement.
This is so correct I had to quote it...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 21:21   Link #440
Shyne

I am quite impressed with this series so far. Victoique's laugh serious made me laugh XD

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, horror, light novel adaptation, school life, shounen