AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-18, 17:57   Link #281
Seitsuki
Onee!

The advantage of a bladed weapon is simply that it is much lighter to carry and faster to use compared to a sledgehammer or the like. On the whole I think a blunt weapon is more useful overall as it can be used for other situations (smashing down doors, creating barricading material etc.)

None of them really substitutes for a gun though.
Old 2010-07-18, 18:05   Link #282
Magnamon

I will gladly take a sledge and any kind of gun I could find but as backup I'd take a couple of knives
Magnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 18:05   Link #283
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
The advantage of a bladed weapon is simply that it is much lighter to carry and faster to use compared to a sledgehammer or the like. On the whole I think a blunt weapon is more useful overall as it can be used for other situations (smashing down doors, creating barricading material etc.)

None of them really substitutes for a gun though.
The reason why I said makeshift weapons only is because a lot of people aren't going to have instant access to guns, due to gun laws in different gun laws, like a japanese person is going to be almost screwed because gun laws are so strict. You are going to have to find a way to survive until you find firearms.

What if the zombies learn to use guns? Should we just give up?

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 18:07   Link #284
psycho_luny
close to insanity
*Author

Send a message via MSN to psycho_luny
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Bladed weapons will definitely degrade over time after use. When you hack at something hard, the part of the blade in contact with the hard thing will invert inwards due to the mallenable nature of metals. Keep going and the inversion will be more visible, and finally, break the blade at its brittle core.

Swords and blades aren't just molded from any piece of metal you know, not even your kitchen knife. They are built with hard metal cores and soft metal exteriors (sometimes treated to prevent rust) to give it a cutting strength, thus the reason why even stainless steel can rust due to the wearing out of the stainless exterior.

but the thing is....we probably won't have any advanced equipment....and what we do have is too loud and will make the zombies come to us....so eventally....all we have is just a blade that's made out of only iron plate....
Old 2010-07-18, 18:19   Link #285
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
The reason why I said makeshift weapons only is because a lot of people aren't going to have instant access to guns, due to gun laws in different gun laws, like a japanese person is going to be almost screwed because gun laws are so strict. You are going to have to find a way to survive until you find firearms.
You know, there is one gun that is legalised everywhere because it is a power tool.

Using it is a different matter though, I tried one in a DIY store on Saturday without nails loaded, and it kicks twice as hard as a pistol.

Quote:
What if the zombies learn to use guns? Should we just give up?
Then it becomes military tactics time. Flanking, fire drawing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_luny View Post
but the thing is....we probably won't have any advanced equipment....and what we do have is too loud and will make the zombies come to us....so eventally....all we have is just a blade that's made out of only iron plate....
I wouldn't want to take any piece of iron and make it into a blade. Not funny to have it breaking on you on the first cut. I would rather make a stabbing weapon out of a pole and bastard file than just turn some piece of metal into a "katana"!

Besides I don't know what is the hype about a katana. A decent parang is a much more lethal weapon to use despite the lack of length. It has a more lethal cut due to the weighted end combined with the Principle of Moments and Momentum.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 18:38   Link #286
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Besides I don't know what is the hype about a katana. A decent parang is a much more lethal weapon to use despite the lack of length. It has a more lethal cut due to the weighted end combined with the Principle of Moments and Momentum.
Katanas are awesome, can block/reflect bullets, give you bullet time, makes you 10x more effective in combat than someone with a gun and gives you access to sword techs as you level up.

Wait...that can happen in real life right?

Old 2010-07-18, 18:44   Link #287
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Katanas are awesome, can block/reflect bullets, give you bullet time, makes you 10x more effective in combat than someone with a gun and gives you access to sword techs as you level up.

Wait...that can happen in real life right?
Only when you are -incepted- into a game of Ninja Gaiden.

Besides, the objective of holding bladed weapons is to decapacitate the zombie's head or chop it into half - the katana is made more for slashing than cutting due to the weight of the blade not being at the end but rather, in the middle, depriving it of a larger cutting force when swung.

The objective is not to leave a mere cut, but to chop the whole damn thing off in one blow. Thus you might want to have fatter blades with a good balance and overall weight. A Kukri would be great but it is too short, so you might want to get a hunting machete.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-07-18, 18:56   Link #288
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Only when you are -incepted- into a game of Ninja Gaiden.

Besides, the objective of holding bladed weapons is to decapacitate the zombie's head or chop it into half - the katana is made more for slashing than cutting due to the weight of the blade not being at the end but rather, in the middle, depriving it of a larger cutting force when swung.

The objective is not to leave a mere cut, but to chop the whole damn thing off in one blow. Thus you might want to have fatter blades with a good balance and overall weight. A Kukri would be great but it is too short, so you might want to get a hunting machete.
Actually a katana can be used for one slash kills, from the neck to the hip in one slash you could literally cut your opponent in half. Check mythbusters, the katana is a very good weapon for decapitation etc...

I think the curve allows it to cut more easily or something.

Old 2010-07-18, 19:04   Link #289
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Actually a katana can be used for one slash kills, from the neck to the hip in one slash you could literally cut your opponent in half. Check mythbusters, the katana is a very good weapon for decapitation etc...

I think the curve allows it to cut more easily or something.
You have to be very close because you are cutting with the entire blade length from end to end....pythagoras theorem applied to force vectors.

Basically when you make the first cut, you are sliding the entire blade outwards from the hilt while pushing it downwards (at the point of draw) to achieve the more than usual cutting force. This means point blank range - you don't want to get that near a zombie do you?

P.S Mythbusters is more of entertainment than documentary if you did Pure sciences in highschool.

Old 2010-07-18, 19:22   Link #290
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Personally, I would rather use a heavier sword, or some kind of thick iron or steel plate, preferably of medium length. Anything too long, and you risk it being too awkward indoors. Whatever material you make it out of, it should be heavy enough that it doesn't rely on having a sharp edge for cutting, since it will probably lose the edge if it is used in combat frequently, and sharpening a blade is time consuming, and noisy. If you have a crafted edge weapon, you would probably be better off keeping it in good condition for crafting traps, and preparing food.

What you really want (or what I would want, anyway) for combat is essentially a weapon with blunt-force trauma concentrated on narrow edge, allowing you to smash bones, and requiring minimal (if any) upkeep. It should also be heavy enough that even if you hit a non-vital area it will knock a zombie to the floor, and likely cause enough damage to make it take a little extra time getting to its feet.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 23:10   Link #291
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
....I thought he meant makeshift as, you know... weapons made from scratch or stuff not meant to be a weapon. A katana is definitely a weapon meant to be a weapon.

? Or maybe I'm wrong?
katana is for OFFENSE.... it cant be a utility tool most of the time... the bolo and my fave... the kukri... can.... and they deliver hacking blows.....
Old 2010-07-18, 23:16   Link #292
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Self-explanatory. I'm not as ignorant as I claim to be.

I suppose I worded it wrong, again. I need to get Takeo in here so he can explain stuff for me.
lawl sorry.... but when in times like this.... you need both IT and a versatile knife

Old 2010-07-18, 23:49   Link #293
Shizuo
Bartender

Location: For my safety, I'm going to say Australia... Wait...
Pfft. You people with your fancy weapons. Real men don't need to use such fancy things against zombies. All I need to keep the zombies back are my fists. And if things get too rough, I'm sure there is a street sign or something I could use.
Shizuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 00:02   Link #294
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
All you blokes and your bloody melee.

You're just going to end up as another zombie to shoot.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 00:47   Link #295
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ All three suck:P
1) Hospital: smells like a hospital, has more moist than a regular building and it's easy as hell to get lost even with a map (once I took the stairs to the 3rd floor and met a wall right where the end of the stairs was supposed to be o_0). Only advantage would be its huge size, you could garrison many people there.
2) Fast food restaurants got glass doors...enough said.
3) A garage is big enough to house two people and a cat...can't see outside, stale air, nothing really useful to defend yourself either. At least the hospital's got scalpels and the restaurant should have burgers...what, they're deadly if you eat enough!

I'd pick the restaurant btw, since the hospital can be a maze, it's hard to 100% check for lurking zombies, so chances of an invasion are high if you only got a small team.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 00:54   Link #296
spikexp

No hospital, every one who got bite in the start of the Z-war are gonna go there. Hospital is probably the place with the higher amount of zombies you can find.

Fast food.... you better stay in shape is you want to survive, fast food is not the best idea and of course the windows everywhere.

Garage.... I just don't see the point.

The garage seem to be the best place to stay.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 01:22   Link #297
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
The closest thing I'd get to melee would be a shotgun. But you do have to realize guns do break, jam, or run out of ammo.

Question: Which would be a more preferable place as a safezone/safehouse... A hospital, a fast food restaurant, or a garage?

Yes, it's a question largely denoted towards preference or stance of survival. Don't nitpick at it.
Dude, you're obviously supposed to hole up in a pub.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 01:43   Link #298
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Will Queen be playing?
Old 2010-07-19, 02:26   Link #299
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The garage seem to be the best place to stay.
But the garage is the most confined space, if a zombie shuffles around, you won't be able to run away, and you can only apply so much force...if it brought friends over, your brains are for lunch
Quote:
Actually a pub would be good...assuming it's not active.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 02:29   Link #300
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
Spoiler for my equipment for fight agains lot of zombies:

what do you think?

Last edited by Black0raz0r; 2010-07-19 at 06:18.
Black0raz0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies