AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-06, 17:51   Link #841
Stretch5920

I just don't like how obvious it is that it will be a Sheryl ending for Alto.

Ranka has too many similarities with previous "losing" girls and she even sings their songs and renacts their kissing scenes.

Makes it rather boring so I don't really enjoy the romance in this show that much, Sheryl and Alto is fairly generic tsundere towards eachother too imo, and it's like well just get together already will ya. I'm mainly in it for the action and singing. I don't dislike any of the characters really, just think the romance side of the show is rather dull.
Old 2008-07-06, 18:24   Link #842
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch5920 View Post
Unfortunately, it is not too obvious for a lot of people

Quote:
Ranka has too many similarities with previous "losing" girls and she even sings their songs and renacts their kissing scenes.
Yet, Ranka is one of the more, if not the most interesting girls I've seen in anime up-to-date. If Kawamori really wanted to, he could have molded Ranka in the likes of Rei or Ruri, but instead he opted for creative energy, which is what I see in Ranka. She is definitely not following the stereotypes of other anime characters.

Quote:
Makes it rather boring so I don't really enjoy the romance in this show that much, Sheryl and Alto is fairly generic tsundere towards eachother too imo, and it's like well just get together already will ya.
I suppose nobody can tell you what you can enjoy. But I will have to disagree with your claim that Alto and Sheryl's relationship as being 'typical' and 'dull'. If anything, their interaction is highly energetic, and with a lot of chemistry. I also like the fact how these two characters gradually develop their feelings without dwelling upon conventions and other stereotypes, which is what most pairings in other shows tend to be like.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-06, 21:03   Link #843
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Alto SMS'ed Ranka in EP04 08:41.
Alto sought for Ranka in EP10 12:18 "Luca' Have you to seen Ranka?"
Did you notice the word "actively?"

In both of your examples, Alto reacts to others' requests. 1st is Ranka asks to witness her performance in MM, he needs to let Ranka knows he IS there. 2nd is Ranka's manager begs him accept the role in exchange more exposing for Ranka in movie, he needs to let Ranka knows he accepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Alto lending voluntary support for Ranka by being present at Miss Macross event.
Don't deny it. Alto doesn't refuse what others ask of him. He just doesn't actively provide himself.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:43   Link #844
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
On a side note, that's actually the biggest thing that's been missing for me in the relationship between Alto and Ranka. I was disappointed when what I had hoped would be an episode of character exposition between the two turned into another case of 'saving the girl'. But at least we finally got some new relationship insights, in terms of how Ranka likes the fact that Alto is pretty and that he helps her... oh, wait.
How is it that you over-romanticized every little thing Sheryl does and yet you can't even see how much impact that "help" Alto unknowingly provided Ranka. People usually don't miss this especially if the story has been spoonfeeding it to the audience for far too long. And I'm not going to type another long essay to point out how much influence Ranka unknowingly provided to Alto.

Alto and Ranka's little chat in the earlier episode was shown to be about two people in the friend zone complimenting one another. Again, they're in the friends zone. Ranka stating that Alto's support, as a friend, and protection pushed her to become this brave. The girl didn't really have any backbone during the first few episodes. Ranka in 12 is a big accomplishment. Alto and Ranka are not in their 30s looking for someone to settle down with, they're teenagers that can be moved by the thought of being special to someone. These two haven't even fallen in love. Making some sparks fly between the two on the first half of the series opens up a huge potential for a deeper connection in the future.

From what I can see, Ranka and Alto's relationship will just get better with all these hardships coming their way for the next half. I think the real deal starts from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis
By crisis, you mean the moe stars? Alto was sneaking glances at Ranka like a lovestruck schoolboy after all. And we are talking about the same man who once did a >___>;;; when Ranka transferred to his class, right?
But this is also the same Alto who blushed when Ranka got closer to his face in episode 3, blushed again when she called him 'oniichan' in ep 2, blushed like he has never blushed before at the thought of kissing her, happily watched her Ms. Macross nonsense (I didn't say that), and flashed the same sneaky glance at her from the get go--episode 1, Sheryl's concert.

Alto is a closet moe fan. His moe tendencies just finally burst forth in 13. Though Ranka would've been long dead by now if Alto wasn't ogling at her from the sky and didn't spot that shady Zentradi.

Quote:
Alto could've screamed until his tonsils explode, and I still would've agreed with you. The only problem with that interpretation is what came after that scene. Sheryl's look changed everything. The moment she picked up Alto's cry is when we knew Ranka got what she wanted. It was the end of Ranka's underdog role. I love the hell out of that scene, because in three seconds, the love triangle just upped itself one level.
When Sheryl paused after hearing Alto's plea, I never really saw any tinge of sadness/jealousy in it. She exhaled professionally and supported him. It's more like Sheryl saw the determination in his voice and respected it. That's why instead of saying "got it, please don't die," she said, "got it, kill him even if it kills you." Her motto coincides with Alto's determination. I'll give her credit for that everytime.

Quote:
Now that the second half of the story is kicking into gear, it's really too early to say if the story will focus from Sheryl's perspective from now on, but if that's the case, then not only will they give Sheryl the balance it needs, but, because while I play fair in shipping wars, I'm also quite evil enough to say that it just adds one more on top of your pile of failed Sheryl predictions along the way.
True that lol Though, if the story doesn't focus from Sheryl's perspective from now on then you're going to be sorry you ever believed Westlo's lies But it's good to know there's atleast one female Sheryl shipper here that makes sense.

Quote:
If Alto x Ranka is meant to be, they need a lot of work. That's all I'm saying.
This is I agree.

Quote:
Hmmmmmm, I doubt it'll happen, but I've already warmed up to the idea so much! Michel x Sheryl is settling quite comfortably as my MF fanon pairing. M x S would be short-term, they'd be all about lust and one-night stands, once it's over, hey, let's be adults and move onto something else. This pairing is so superficial, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's an empty pairing but I wouldn't mind reading smex fic on them.
I just watched the gg subs and I knew Michael said something different when he complimented Sheryl on the airship. I didn't want to bring this up till I watched gg's translation and I was right. He actually said:

"What a fine woman....I might just fall in love."

lol! Shery still blushed. That was cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Of course you weren't, you all but had one foot on that ship IIRC until you read a certain episode 13 spoiler that drastically changed your way of thinking on the triangle Went from saying "I don't want to talk about Ranka" to "Ranka and Alto is assured and I cannot see it going Sheryl's way!".
Seeing both Brera and Alto all over Ranka in 13 just miraculously fulfilled my shoujo expectations, so shush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Actually, ani_d's argument about everything being put through Ranka's POV so she MUST GET ALTO, only strengthens the odds of her not getting Alto. It's a perfect setup for her to go through the ups and downs of career, of love, of finding out her past, and eventually growing up and moving on.
lol I always read this, but who's the wise guy who crafted the rule that Ranka can not grow up/mature unless she goes away from Alto? Did the story ever hint that to us? Reality check. There is no such rule. No such rules. Ranka will mature as a character in the story, and she doesn't have to leave Alto to be able to do that.

I feel like this is another case of overexaggeration just like that "Sheryl-dying-of-emoness-if-she-doesn't-get-together-with-Alto" deal. It's so ironic how Sheryl herself shot this case to nothingness.
Old 2008-07-07, 00:28   Link #845
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
But this is also the same Alto who blushed when Ranka got closer to his face in episode 3, blushed again when she called him 'oniichan' in ep 2, blushed like he has never blushed before at the thought of kissing her, happily watched her Ms. Macross nonsense (I didn't say that), and flashed the same sneaky glance at her from the get go--episode 1, Sheryl's concert.
It's not that I'm denying Ranka is potential. She is. To phrase it another way, all the points surrounding Alto/Ranka just doesn't add up. Because their foundation is unstable. Alto blushing around Ranka for unknown reasons is vague enough, but the series has pushed Alto back to the starting line when Alto did that bloody >___>;;; when Ranka transferred to his class. It erased the potential build up of the pairing when Alto was completely not interested in Ranka's progress in stardom. (Now this is entirely personal, but I thought he's a dumbass for sending Michel out in Episode 11 when it could've been handled better.)

That's what I'm getting at. All of this doesn't add up. That's what happens when they rush the pairing too much. For what purpose, however, is a different story, and one I'll argue about in the next few episodes.

By the way...

Quote:
flashed the same sneaky glance at her from the get go--episode 1, Sheryl's concert.
Wasn't that a homage to Minmei from either the TV series or DYRL?

Quote:
Alto is a closet moe fan. His moe tendencies just finally burst forth in 13.
LOL, Hime needs to look at himself in the mirror to find something even better.

Quote:
When Sheryl paused after hearing Alto's plea, I never really saw any tinge of sadness/jealousy in it. She exhaled professionally and supported him. It's more like Sheryl saw the determination in his voice and respected it. That's why instead of saying "got it, please don't die," she said, "got it, kill him even if it kills you." Her motto coincides with Alto's determination. I'll give her credit for that everytime.
Disagree entirely with this point of view. I could go on about the Sheryl scene being the crucial transition for the love triangle, but since we've reached a mutual agreement on at least one issue, I'll let it go... at least until the next episode.

Quote:
True that lol Though, if the story doesn't focus from Sheryl's perspective from now on then you're going to be sorry you ever believed Westlo's lies But it's good to know there's atleast one female Sheryl shipper here that makes sense.
Well Westlo doesn't really need to convince me since everything I've spoken to you on are 100% mine. It just happens to coincide with him.

Quote:
I just watched the gg subs and I knew Michael said something different when he complimented Sheryl on the airship. I didn't want to bring this up till I watched gg's translation and I was right. He actually said:

Considering Michael's position as the outsider who watches the love triangle develop, the person who picks up everything that all three have missed along the way, and picks up Sheryl's true intentions when she wanted to search for Alto x Ranka, it's either Michael was just admiring Sheryl's brave streak or there's a high chance Michael's line may have just killed your entire argument on Sheryl's scene.

I opted for the first interpretation instead, because I'm craving for M x S fic atm.

Edit :
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray
I like Lunar's wording best, "What an understanding woman. I think I'm in love."
Correction : A very high chance.

Quote:
lol I always read this, but who's the wise guy who crafted the rule that Ranka can not grow up/mature unless she goes away from Alto? Did the story ever hint that to us? Reality check. There is no such rule. No such rules. Ranka will mature as a character in the story, and she doesn't have to leave Alto to be able to do that.
Hmm, that's what I was getting in the whole scene. It's certainly shaping up to be a valid opinion, but we'll see. Lol.

Last edited by cheesie; 2008-07-07 at 01:13.
Old 2008-07-07, 00:47   Link #846
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post

lol! Shery still blushed. That was cute.
Chihiro/Kei/Jaka/whoever seems to have issues with context. I appreciate their speed, but... meh.

I like Lunar's wording best, "What an understanding woman. I think I'm in love."

Either way my backhanded compliment logic stands, and I'm back to shipping MichaelXSheryl tomorrow. Too tired to write a novel ATM.
Old 2008-07-07, 01:23   Link #847
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Chihiro/Kei/Jaka/whoever seems to have issues with context. I appreciate their speed, but... meh.

Either way my backhanded compliment logic stands, and I'm back to shipping MichaelXSheryl tomorrow. Too tired to write a novel ATM.
Still not seeing it. Even with Lunars and GGs translation it comes off much more like an "easy" compliment from Mikhail. Like someone said before, he´s a playa.

I absolutely think that Sheryl didn´t blush because she felt attraction to Mikhail, but because she felt embarrassed in front of Alto.

Oh, well, we´ll see in the next two or three weeks, I´d say.
Old 2008-07-07, 01:42   Link #848
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I absolutely think that Sheryl didn´t blush because she felt attraction to Mikhail, but because she felt embarrassed in front of Alto.

Oh, well, we´ll see in the next two or three weeks, I´d say.
Not really, because you already got the answer. If Lunar's translation is right, then one look at Episode 8, where Sheryl has no problem smoothly shooting down Mikhail's advances, should tell you that it is something else in Michael's remark that affected her before she tried to change the subject with her awesome pilot skills: the fact that Michael understands.
Old 2008-07-07, 01:51   Link #849
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Not really, because you already got the answer. If Lunar's translation is right, then one look at Episode 8, where Sheryl has no problem smoothly shooting down Mikhail's advances, should tell you that it is something else in Michael's remark that affected her before she tried to change the subject with her awesome pilot skills: the fact that Michael understands.
I have a slight inkling of what you're implying, but would please clarify for the others?

Note: gg's translation was the more literally accurate of the two, Imo.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-07-07, 02:13   Link #850
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
I have a slight inkling of what you're implying, but would please clarify for the others?
I will, once Ickem clarifies what context Michael's remark was said in. (Though all this will be unraveled in the coming storyline anyway, so it's not really that important.)
Old 2008-07-07, 03:10   Link #851
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
I will, once Ickem clarifies what context Michael's remark was said in. (Though all this will be unraveled in the coming storyline anyway, so it's not really that important.)
He called her a fine woman, which, as with most literal translations leaves out quite a bit. I was actually wondering how I would translate that and couldn't think of a way to do it, but seeing Lunar's translation helped a lot since that is the exact feeling I get from what Michel says. I interpreted it as him being impressed by how she handled the situation with Alto after his insight into her feelings earlier in the episode i.e. there were no hysterics over the "other woman" and she just went about the business of wanting to help Alto and Ranka. As with the kiss scene in 10, Sheryl looks for something to hide behind because she doesn't seem to want to dwell on her emotions in those moments. It just so happens that she chooses try and get her own blue VF-25. It would suck if Michel got the pineapple salad treatment though since I rather like him. Still, I wouldn't mind it as much if this was to give Sheryl her customized unit.

As for all this MichelxSheryl talk, Sheryl has already stated that she doesn't like frivolous guys when she shot Michel down in ep 8 . That's probably one of the other main reasons that she likes Hime. He doesn't waste time on shallow flattery and just gets down to the business of saying whatever he feels like, just like her. Remember that Sheryl struggles to hold her tongue even in her "Sheryl Nome" mode as is evidenced when Ranka mentions that this is one of the things about Sheryl that she likes the most. A one night stand with Michel would be a no go as well since it would probably be a waste of time to her.
Old 2008-07-07, 03:28   Link #852
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

^ Ickem you hold a lot of power over us.

Thank you for your clarification.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-07-07, 08:49   Link #853
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Unfortunately, it is not too obvious for a lot of people

- Tak
I'm looking forward to idiots calling the final pairing "Canvas 2" all over again like nearly every idiot who claims a pairing came out of nowhere. Usually these people are a) blind and in denial (People calling Kimikiss a Canvas 2 are hilarious) and b) had never seen Canvas 2 in the first place.
Old 2008-07-07, 09:05   Link #854
mike_s_6

Quote:
Is it that obvious? Then what is everyone debating about?! j/k

On the idea of Mikhail x Sheryl... What if she falls in love with Mikhail, then he dies for some reason, and then she pilots his Valk? It's blue you know...
Old 2008-07-07, 09:34   Link #855
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I'm looking forward to idiots calling the final pairing "Canvas 2" all over again like nearly every idiot who claims a pairing came out of nowhere. Usually these people are a) blind and in denial (People calling Kimikiss a Canvas 2 are hilarious) and b) had never seen Canvas 2 in the first place.
I remember some fans used to claim that Kira would definitely end up with Cagali in Gundam SEED and not Lacus Clyne, despite the obvious in many overwhelming Lacus x Kira materials.

I think they were silenced after they found out Cagali is urm... Kira's sister.

That was funny.

- Tak (not that I'd have a problem with that, but hey, not on morning TV, sorry)
Old 2008-07-07, 09:37   Link #856
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I remember some fans used to claim that Kira would definitely end up with Cagali in Gundam SEED and not Lacus Clyne, despite the obvious in many overwhelming Lacus x Kira materials.

I think they were silenced after they found out Cagali is urm... Kira's sister.

That was funny.

- Tak (not that I'd have a problem with that, but hey, not on morning TV, sorry)
LMAO... Kira x Lacus was so damn obvious.... it was in the OP too.
Old 2008-07-07, 09:42   Link #857
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
He called her a fine woman, which, as with most literal translations leaves out quite a bit. I was actually wondering how I would translate that and couldn't think of a way to do it, but seeing Lunar's translation helped a lot since that is the exact feeling I get from what Michel says. I interpreted it as him being impressed by how she handled the situation with Alto after his insight into her feelings earlier in the episode i.e. there were no hysterics over the "other woman" and she just went about the business of wanting to help Alto and Ranka.
Thanks. That's the impression I got too, but I wasn't sure if I was right on that mark as I've encountered at least three different versions of the line, so i figured I'd double-check with you just in case.

On Sheryl, I didn't find it one bit surprising that Sheryl appears to be bothered (in that tsundere way) that Michael was able to read her so clearly. She's always been awkward on personal things like this, which may explain why she tried to divert Michael's attention to her elite pilot skills instead. It's somewhat amusing.
Old 2008-07-07, 10:33   Link #858
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Is it that obvious? Then what is everyone debating about?! j/k

On the idea of Mikhail x Sheryl... What if she falls in love with Mikhail, then he dies for some reason, and then she pilots his Valk? It's blue you know...
She won't. There's greater chances of them being related than her falling in love with him.
Old 2008-07-07, 10:38   Link #859
Tak

I don't know why people are honestly thinking about the possibilities of a Mikhail x Sheryl? The last woman to pop in his head was Quran.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-07, 10:43   Link #860
Westlo
Lets be reality

Sheryl fans frustrated at Alto (same thing happened to Ranka fans when Brera came in since Sheryl just hit her 3rd home run in a row in episode 7), Ranka fans praying in hope because they know deep down Sheryl will come back hard and just people in general who like that pair.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance