AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-11-30, 22:10   Link #2581
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan:

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20118...-in-japan.html
Quote:
How can this be? Well, Japan is still mainly in the hands of the older generation: Over a fourth of the population is over 60, and they're in no particular hurry to adopt new technology (particularly not Apple products, because as far as Japan is concerned, Steve Jobs can go fuck himself).
Bloody freaking hell!!!

If history is about a number of common things repeating in its course, a massve clash of ideas has to happen soon for some good between the old and the young generations. No disrespect, but someone needs to lead the younger generation in order to push out the old farts out of the way and remind them that everyone has an expiry date, including the people who built success in the 1980s.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 23:37   Link #2582
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Your typical Japanese Mangaka routine!
Old 2012-12-01, 01:44   Link #2583
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It would be interesting to see Sume-nee dressed in a maid costume and kneesocks and running the floor of a maid nabe restaurant as the kaichou.

*runs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

I'm willing to compromise for a middle ground...
You know, it's already know it's nearly impossible to get her to post a pic... those are just going completely into the realm of fantasy right there

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 01:45   Link #2584
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
What boring life... I meant the mangakas's.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 01:58   Link #2585
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
You know, it's already know it's nearly impossible to get her to post a pic... those are just going completely into the realm of fantasy right there
Let them have their illusions. It's entertaining.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 02:02   Link #2586
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Let them have their illusions. It's entertaining.

You're absolutely right, I shall forgo this endeavor before it consumes my soul...

...Honest.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 02:09   Link #2587
NoemiChan
Banned

She got a fiance right.. that drops many of us as fans or stalkers... or friends... or acquaintance... yeah probably....acquaintance
Old 2012-12-01, 03:34   Link #2588
Ridwan

It's disconcerting enough that you guys just nonchalantly exhibit your perverted illusions about a lady in a public thread, in front of the person in question no less. What is worse, however, is that she has to withstand you guys herself, while we're no short of other cuties worthy of our depraved attention. Take SaintessHeart for example.
Old 2012-12-01, 03:38   Link #2589
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
It's disconcerting enough that you guys just nonchalantly exhibit your perverted illusions about a lady in a public thread, in front of the person in question no less. What is worse, however, is that she has to withstand you guys herself, while we're no short of other cuties worthy of our depraved attention. Take SaintessHeart for example.
Now I want to ask this..
Old 2012-12-01, 05:36   Link #2590
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

"Two years ago, I achieved alpha-geek status among my friends by moving to
Japan. Since then, all I've been hearing from them is how lucky I am and how they
would murder any endangered species still clinging tenaciously to existence in
exchange for permission to live in my closet. And I totally get it, because come on,
it's Japan -- the wackiest, most interesting place on the planet. Who wouldn't want
to live here?

Well ... you might not, actually. Because while there are plenty of great reasons to
live in Japan, such as the low crime rate and the amazing public transportation
system, there are a few things you should know before you decide to pack up your
manga and hop on a jet across the Pacific, wearing rabbit ears and flashing peace
signs at everyone who makes eye contact with you. For starters ..."

See:

Quote:
Simply put, the country just isn't very accommodating to people who can't speak Japanese. Without the language, you will barely be able to buy food or get around, let alone establish any kind of permanent living situation that doesn't involve keeping a bilingual girlfriend/boyfriend/hostage on hand 24/7 to translate every commercial that comes on the radio. You can't just exchange shouts with people and come to a working understanding like Han Solo and Chewbacca. Real life doesn't work that way.
The West is always quick to pull out "OMG Japs are xenophobic devils" card, but in the same breath publish something like this that goes "OMG Japs don't speak English, they are such uneducated cave dwellers, it's totally offensive that some takoyaki shop owner off the street doesn't understand my Holy Language! Raaaaaage!!"

Yes, I'm totally exaggerating, but you get my sarcasm.

I'd like to tell this guy "Look buddy. I live in America, and I speak English. I LEARNED English. Because I'm not a complete idiot and not decide to pick up the primary spoken language, and blame everyone for not understanding MY language."

As for the "OMG Japs are so 3rd world they don't even have heating!", in the two decades I've lived in Japan, in poverty with a single mother, I have NEVER froze my ass off. We have our own methods of heating, which I doubt this kid even bothered to adopt.
Old 2012-12-01, 06:18   Link #2591
Sumeragi
Banned

I wonder why there is no mention of a kotatsu.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 08:08   Link #2592
Ridwan

It's hard enough living in a multi-ethnic country with lots of native regional languages even with national language in place for everyone. Japan is just homogenous and rather insular, which would make me think twice about living there, but the country isn't exceptionally xenophobic or anything. Especially since they're not in constant fear of pesky immigrants keep coming down to take are jerbs.

Besides, why are we taking a cracked article seriously anyway ?
Old 2012-12-01, 16:47   Link #2593
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I wonder why there is no mention of a kotatsu.
Because when it comes to Japan, if it isn't interesting, it isn't worthy of mention.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 17:29   Link #2594
Kirarakim

Quote:

"Two years ago, I achieved alpha-geek status among my friends by moving to
Japan. Since then, all I've been hearing from them is how lucky I am and how they
would murder any endangered species still clinging tenaciously to existence in
exchange for permission to live in my closet. And I totally get it, because come on,
it's Japan -- the wackiest, most interesting place on the planet. Who wouldn't want
to live here?

Well ... you might not, actually. Because while there are plenty of great reasons to
live in Japan, such as the low crime rate and the amazing public transportation
system, there are a few things you should know before you decide to pack up your
manga and hop on a jet across the Pacific, wearing rabbit ears and flashing peace
signs at everyone who makes eye contact with you. For starters ..."

See:

I had to laugh at that article because OMG I still use a fax machine at my job. Granted I think my job is a bit slow in adopting technology but as I fax to other hospitals/doctors offices, it doesn't seem like the fax machine is all that extinct.

Also about the hospital. When I was in Japan back around 2007, my friend who I was with was having awful pain in her leg, she was worried it was a blood clot (which luckily it wasn't). After a few days of this we ended up going to the emergency room in Tokyo. It was probably the quickest, best hospital service I ever experienced. It was also in the evening and the Doctor spoke perfect English...

Now of course Japan is not perfect, no place is but I don't understand the point of writing an article so say how bad a place is.
Old 2012-12-01, 17:30   Link #2595
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Cute Panda.
Old 2012-12-01, 18:54   Link #2596
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Granted I think my job is a bit slow in adopting technology but as I fax to other hospitals/doctors offices, it doesn't seem like the fax machine is all that extinct.
Faxing is actually preferable to insecure electronic communications like email. Plain-text email constitutes a HIPAA violation and should never be used in medical practices. Unfortunately, not every practice takes the HIPAA privacy and security rules seriously.

Fax machines are not that secure either, though a HIPAA-conscious facility will have the machine under someone's watchful eye and far away from patient areas.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 01:56   Link #2597
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Anyone familiar with Kanazawa?

Going to be staying there for 10 days starting from next saturday...
Old 2012-12-02, 04:40   Link #2598
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Anyone familiar with Kanazawa?

Going to be staying there for 10 days starting from next saturday...
Never been there, but the stereotypical image is:

1) Cold. Snow. Cold.
2) It's one of those country side areas with like, nothing.
3) Food is awesome
4) Lots of foreign tourists

Being a City Slicker, it's the type of place I'd avoid (especially due to the cold), but tourists love em.
It's very old-school traditional Japan, and I'm sure it's beautiful. But I hate cold and the snow.
Old 2012-12-02, 05:49   Link #2599
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I'll be staying with host family....it's a school exchange thing.

So...it's a tourist trap? That means my wallet will take further battering after the first 2 days of R&R in Tokyo?

Yes. I hear you, I'm more at home in cities too...
Old 2012-12-02, 06:14   Link #2600
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Well, as long as you're with a host family, you should be ok lol.
They're locals after all. They should know the local places.

And yeah, I don't know about this time of the year, but that place is popular with tourists.
You may see a lot of Europeans visiting in hotels, going to those tourist-y star restaurants.

Rule of thumb: You see lots of white folks? Avoid the store! Probably taste good, but may also break your bank.
Have the host family take you to places instead.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture