AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-06-15, 03:25   Link #21
thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato2
thr, could you please post a guide how to get mplayer to play ASS/SSA subs correctly? I tried googling the MPlayer OSX (CVS 20060519) and the ASS/SSA patch, but I couldn't find any files about it. I want to switch to mac, but the lack of correct mkv playback is holding me back. :P Another option might be parallels playing windows xp with CCCP package. But that's a bit overkill just for a video.
I've tried CCCP + Windows XP + Parallels RC2. Alas, the performance was severely lacking. I couldn't play H.264 content without stuttering while both Cores of my Intel iMac were maxed out.

As for MPlayer, I'll write up something detailed once I get back this evening.

@yamato2:
Before I begin let me ask you: are you comfortable using the Terminal? You'll need it a lot to compile MPlayer.

Last edited by thr; 2006-06-15 at 14:30.
Old 2006-06-17, 02:11   Link #22
yamato2

@iamtetsuo: I want to switch to mac (still on windows). But first I want to make sure I don't need windows for things that I do everyday. Dual booting is PIA and costs space. That's why I tried mplayer for windows first and find it lacking in .mkv and SSA/ASS subs. It's still better than VLC where multiple subs are overlapping each other (karaoke). But it's not displaying some subs in japanese and also doesn't have the right coloring . I've also read your build up before I asked this question, but I thought it was the same as Mplayer for windows. Please correct me if I'm wrong. When I read thr, SSA/ASS patch with screenshots, I know for sure the biggest problem of switching would be solved. But I couldn't find links for the patch or build, so I asked this question.

@thr: Terminal is just a like command prompt right? I've used it before when I tried out linux. As long as you write down all the command lines, then it shouldn't be a problem. And thank you very much for doing the parallels test.
Old 2006-06-17, 06:06   Link #23
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

@yamato2: MPlayer's "nice" SSA renderer is not a part of the normal sub rendering - it's implemented as a special video filter, invoked with -vf ass. In other words, you need to explicitly tell MPlayer to use it. Read the manpage for further details.

AFAIK -vf ass should be included in the newly released 1.0pre8...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-06-17, 09:19   Link #24
thr

No ASS/SSA support with 1.0pre8. It's still under review. Maybe for the next official release in one year. :-)

@yamato2: click on the spoiler for compilation instructions.

Spoiler:

Last edited by thr; 2006-06-17 at 09:52.
Old 2006-06-17, 09:45   Link #25
yamato2

Thank you very much for your guidance, it's very clear and easy to understand. I'll test ride it on my friends's intel mac mini first. But that won't be until july, exams first to finish in june.
Old 2006-06-19, 02:32   Link #26
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Looks like I'm late to the party!

Anyway's yes I have noticed that mPlayer doesn't display Japanese characters (not a problem for me cause I don't read or speak Japanese). I also have noticed all subtitles are in the same color. That's not a problem for me either because it's usually fairly obvious as to who's speaking which line of subtitles.

@thr Cool thanks for posting that! I'll have to try it out sometime soon. Mind if I add it to the walkthrough?
Old 2006-06-19, 10:53   Link #27
thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo
@thr Cool thanks for posting that! I'll have to try it out sometime soon. Mind if I add it to the walkthrough?
Feel free to do so.

I'm also trying to build a standalone MPlayer with ASS/SSA support. I can't make any promises though.
Old 2006-06-22, 04:20   Link #28
thr

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l9b0gl

MPlayer OSX SAC is a compile of MPlayer 1.0pre8 with ASS/SSA support. All the libraries that the ASS/SSA patch depends on are included in the application bundle.

The ASS/SSA support has to be activated first. To do so
  • start MPlayer OSX SAC,
  • open the Preferences window,
  • switch to the Miscellaneous tab,
  • tick the checkbox Additional parameters and
  • enter the string "-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig" (w/o quotes) in the textfield.
MPlayer OSX SAC runs on Intel Macs only for now. I'm working on a Universal Binary.

Last edited by thr; 2006-06-23 at 00:00.
Old 2006-07-07, 19:08   Link #29
blueorange

@thr, I was trying to follow your instructions, but I suppose I must have gone wrong somewhere... any chance of that UB anytime soon? =]

I am having trouble compiling it with fontconfig support on PPC :S

Last edited by blueorange; 2006-07-07 at 20:03.
Old 2006-07-08, 09:44   Link #30
thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorange
@thr, I was trying to follow your instructions, but I suppose I must have gone wrong somewhere... any chance of that UB anytime soon? =]

I am having trouble compiling it with fontconfig support on PPC :S
I'm still working on it. Compiling for Intel is easy, compiling for PPC is the hard part. Maybe an official version will come out now that the ASS/SSA patch has been committed to the SVN repository.

Where exactly are you having problems? I only compiled MPlayer on an Intel Mac, it may well be that my instructions have to be adapted for the PPC platform.
Old 2006-07-08, 11:45   Link #31
blueorange

I successfully got as far as DLing the MPlayer SVN. I did not patch it, as I believe the SVN now has the patch applied (maybe you could update this in the instructions, I have tried patching it as well but it still won't work).

When I run the configuration script I get this... (I would put the rest of the text in but I don't know how to do the "spoiler" trick)

Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... yes
Checking for fontconfig ... ./configure: line 1: pkg-config: command not found
no
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... yes

I have installed the pkgconfig and fontconfig with Darwinports. If I make and install MPlayer with this configuration it says that it was compiled without fontconfig. It will play files, but -fontconfig will not work.

I will provide any more information that you think is useful. I am a bit of a noob
Old 2006-07-11, 14:59   Link #32
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
I'm also interested in this. I've gone ahead and downloaded MPlayer 1.0pre8 even though it doesn't have this functionality as standard, because it's still newer than the version I've got. I'd like to try compiling my own MPlayer with ASS support, but I don't have much of a clue.

I have something in mind that almost certainly will not work anyway...
Old 2006-07-11, 15:16   Link #33
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorange
I have installed the pkgconfig and fontconfig with Darwinports. If I make and install MPlayer with this configuration it says that it was compiled without fontconfig. It will play files, but -fontconfig will not work.
I believe I had the same problem once. I think I installed pkgconfig-debuginfo and it miraculously started working.
Old 2006-07-17, 07:52   Link #34
Ergzay

This is quite wrong. There are several large problems with this topic. Will list them below.
1. MplayerOSX2 is WAY out of date and will not play h264. As well as not playing many other things.
2. There is no need at all to install any X11 support. Mplayer will compile without it.

This isn't a very complete list but I'm just writing this quickly. As soon as I post this I will be making a detailed tutorial to compile and install mplayer on Mac OS X and on Linux.

P.S. No one should be using VLC. It is horribly buggy, not mentioning all the things that just plain do not work.
Old 2006-07-25, 00:48   Link #35
shidoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo
Please note: the Quicktime player is worthless. All it can play are .avi files. The Quicktime player won't play most .mp4 files and doesn't recognize .mkv files. Also Apple removed fullscreen playback from the player, so there's really no reason at all to use it.
I hate having this be my first post here (I'm nowhere near new to the site, but am new to posting here), but I take issue with this comment. If we're talking about QuickTime + subtitles, yes, there's just no good solution out there currently (or on the horizon.)

That out of the way, I'm not sure at all what you mean by "won't play most .mp4 files." I've YET to run into an .mp4 file (that was properly put together) that QuickTime won't play on my system. I'd love to see a file that you can't get QT to play, so I could try it out for myself. On my system (G5 iMac), QuickTime will play just fine MOV / MPEG1 / MPEG2 / MPEG4 / H.264 / Divx / Xvid / 3ivx / Windows Media (well, not all, but Flip4Mac does its best) and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting. As long as you spend a few minutes getting the proper plug-ins, QuickTime will play a lot, and there is a LOT of benefit due to so many other applications using QuickTime for playback (FrontRow being the top example.)

Also, Apple in no way, shape, or form removed fullscreen playback - that's just wrong. You have to have QuickTime Pro to have fullscreen playback, but it's there, and if you aren't willing to pay the money for QT Pro, there are countless free apps or Applescripts that will do it if you don't want to go the sneaky serial route.

I use QuickTime for pretty much everything except VOB files and videos that have soft subs, and it works great. (I currently don't really mess around with .mkv stuff.) It also tends to, in my opinion, decode h.264 far better than either MPlayer or VLC on Mac OSX.
Old 2006-07-25, 12:37   Link #36
TheFluff

Does that mean that QT for Mac now supports more than baseline profile H.264?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-07-25, 14:50   Link #37
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidoshi
That out of the way, I'm not sure at all what you mean by "won't play most .mp4 files." I've YET to run into an .mp4 file (that was properly put together) that QuickTime won't play on my system. I'd love to see a file that you can't get QT to play, so I could try it out for myself. On my system (G5 iMac), QuickTime will play just fine MOV / MPEG1 / MPEG2 / MPEG4 / H.264 / Divx / Xvid / 3ivx / Windows Media (well, not all, but Flip4Mac does its best) and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting. As long as you spend a few minutes getting the proper plug-ins, QuickTime will play a lot, and there is a LOT of benefit due to so many other applications using QuickTime for playback (FrontRow being the top example.)
[...]
It also tends to, in my opinion, decode h.264 far better than either MPlayer or VLC on Mac OSX.
Would you please test playing the following three files with QT and report back on the results? I'd be most interested in the results. Apart from playback itself, I'd also be interested how QT performs performance-wise compared to MPlayer or VLC on each of these files (if they play back at all).

File A
File B
File C

I can assure you that they contain a standard compliant H.264 bitstream within a compliant container.

Last edited by Jekyll; 2006-07-25 at 15:14.
Old 2006-07-25, 14:52   Link #38
Yuvi
Alternative User

Quote:
If we're talking about QuickTime + subtitles, yes, there's just no good solution out there currently (or on the horizon.)
Currently, no. On the horizon (now that MPlayer's libass is sufficiently portable), eventually.

Quote:
That out of the way, I'm not sure at all what you mean by "won't play most .mp4 files." I've YET to run into an .mp4 file (that was properly put together) that QuickTime won't play on my system. I'd love to see a file that you can't get QT to play, so I could try it out for myself.
I actually haven't come across any MP4 listed on AnimeSuki that QuickTime could play out-of-the-box, have you?

@TheFluff I thought it was always main, up to 1 b-frame, though I've heard of 2 b-frames working sometimes. I haven't seen any change in H.264 decoding from 7.0 to 7.1.2 other than that decoding became faster than MPlayer and VLC on PowerPC in 7.1. (also the MPEG4-ASP decoder fully works as of 7.1, as far as I can tell) I have had success in decoding high profile via FFusion, but not to the point that it was playable. Hopefully that'll change now that better programmers than me are looking at it, or maybe Apple will actually incorporate high profile in QuickTime after WWDC (some new QuickTime tech is being unveiled then.)
Old 2006-07-25, 15:50   Link #39
TheFluff

Ah, yes, correct, not baseline, main with one b-frame. Sorry, my mistake. Still, a lot of fansubs use that and more... and on Windows, QT's decoder is considerably slower than libavcodec, AFAIK. But that's not relevant to the topic at hand, which was fansubs on Mac.

Old 2006-07-26, 01:23   Link #40
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergzay
This is quite wrong. There are several large problems with this topic. Will list them below.
1. MplayerOSX2 is WAY out of date and will not play h264. As well as not playing many other things.
Huh? Did you even read my walkthrough? It specifically says DO NOT use MplayerOSX2! Please re-read the walkthrough thank you. You are right MplayerOSX2 will compile without X11, as will the suggested MPlayerOSX builds in the walkthrough. However as far as I can tell it won't play any files without X11 installed.
I haven't had ANY major problems with VLC on my mac. If you are having problems you should upgrade to the most recent version. It is very stable, and only has minor bugs. Yes it doesn't play softsubs very well, but that is what MPlayer is for, as mentioned in the walkthrough.

@ shidoshi When I said they removed full screen playback from Quicktime I meant from the non-Pro version. It was a very stupid move IMO. It's like a slap in the face, removing a feature available from every media player out there. I will edit the walkthrough to point out that full screen playback is removed from the non-pro version and that my opinions on Quicktime Player are just that, my opinions.
I would point you to a specific .mp4 file that won't open in Quicktime but the series has been licsenced...

I am always open to any criticisms of my walkthrough if you have any issues with it please let me know!

Last edited by iamtetsuo; 2006-07-26 at 01:49.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate