AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-07, 15:01   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Romance in Macross

Welcome to Romance in Macross dicsussion thread. The purpose of this thread is to provide a place where to discuss all things romance related within Macross universe, potential pairings and the like.

Please note that the very nature of this discussion means that people are bound to disagree with your opinion; remember to play nicely. Usual forum rules still apply.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Most importantly: have fun
Old 2008-06-07, 15:11   Link #2
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Well, I for one have yet to encounter a cheesy romantic-development in Macross.

Which, by all accounts, could be a good thing.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 15:25   Link #3
brightman
Ancient Member

^If you mean cheesy as in sudden and out-of-the-blue (glares at Gundam), I agree with ya
Old 2008-06-07, 15:28   Link #4
Aquifina

With the most recent ep., it did seem like a good time to open this thread, eh?
Old 2008-06-07, 15:28   Link #5
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
^If you mean cheesy as in sudden and out-of-the-blue (glares at Gundam), I agree with ya
Moreover Macross tend not to utilize traditional anime conventions that romance must be initiated by a compromising situation. Ie. I tripped on your boobies... *Gasp* I am...in love!

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 16:13   Link #6
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Moreover Macross tend not to utilize traditional anime conventions that romance must be initiated by a compromising situation. Ie. I tripped on your boobies... *Gasp* I am...in love!

- Tak
And lets not forget the classic, "you played with me one day when I was a kid, I love you!" as a basis for love... and yes it should be obvious which series I'm referring too... lol.
Old 2008-06-07, 16:20   Link #7
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And lets not forget the classic, "you played with me one day when I was a kid, I love you!" as a basis for love... and yes it should be obvious which series I'm referring too... lol.
Surprisingly enough, there are... countless series featuring that very theme you just mentioned.

So no, its not very obvious

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 16:41   Link #8
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Shuffle! popped into my mind
Old 2008-06-07, 16:41   Link #9
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yep that's the one! lol and not one but 2 of them lmao.
Old 2008-06-07, 16:45   Link #10
Tak

Shuffle! was an anime?

I've only played the game. Heh, interesting.

Personally, I was actually thinking Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi... etc.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 17:04   Link #11
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Please use the thread for it's intended purpose; at the moment it seems the conversation is steering more towards random chit-chat. Thank you.
Old 2008-06-07, 19:26   Link #12
Key Board
Carbon

Is it possible to segregate all the discussions of romance into this thread?

Love triangles are one of the backbone of a Macross story. Some even argue that it IS the story.
I think the nature of the show makes it impossible to discuss the story without talking about romance.

It's not like say, Gundam or Code Geass
Old 2008-06-07, 21:05   Link #13
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Out of all anime I think that Macross has one of the best developed love relationship. The relationships are gradual instead of being rushed, well I suppose with the exception of DYRL, which was understandable as it was a movie. The other thing that I like about love triangle in Macross is that the relations are solved by the end ( Blasphemy!), expect with Macross 7.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:29   Link #14
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Out of all anime I think that Macross has one of the best developed love relationship. The relationships are gradual instead of being rushed, well I suppose with the exception of DYRL, which was understandable as it was a movie. The other thing that I like about love triangle in Macross is that the relations are solved by the end ( Blasphemy!), expect with Macross 7.
Actually Macross 7 was much more like lets resolve our marriage crisis for our darling daughter. Max, Millia, Mylene.

Thing is Mylene likes Basara and Gamlin equally.

Basara had several girls pinning for him flower girl, Rex, Sivil, Chlore and her entire fleet of Meltrans.

Even Emilia Jenius atracted to Basara, who takes after her mom Millia when beaten by a guy on what does best. (Hers is singing and rocking not combat)

A bit weeping crubaby and having then having the hots for the guy.

But Basara is too obsessed with singing to even smell the flowers. (literal and metaphorical)

Fortunately Basara hasn't been introduced to Max and Milia's six other daughters. (Millia gave birth to seven girls and adopted one girl)

Hmmm.... Jenius sister harem.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:52   Link #15
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Eh, at the end of Macross 7, its pretty much proven that Mylene likes Basara a lot more.

And if side materials are to be believed, Basara and Mylene have an official wedding photo

Quote:
Fortunately Basara hasn't been introduced to Max and Milia's six other daughters. (Millia gave birth to seven girls and adopted one girl)

Well, if games and radio programs are to be taken into consideration, a lot of them are already... taken.

They would have been too old for Basara anyway

- Tak (And I cannot imagine Max's adopted daughter going gaga over him. I think she prefer to spear him instead of speaking to him )
Old 2008-06-07, 21:52   Link #16
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

ReddyRedWolf: There's a problem there - Mommy AND Daddy will kill you if you so much as make one of their daughters cry, much less all seven. And they're among the two best mecha pilots alive. And one can Macronize - if they want you dead, you WILL die.

One thing to note is how all the triangles are different, except in one thing; it's not a one-way thing for anyone, with regards to relationships... as everyone in the triangle knows the other exists, and that complicates things greatly.

Macross: Hikaru knows Misa as a commander, and as an older woman with her own tragic past (he saw it on Mars and she admitted as much to him once), and knows Minmay from saving her and watching her crash-and-burn more than he does in her own emotional life. He knows she's really no good for him, but can't help going after her right up till the end, when he has to choose between being in love with someone else for their sake... or for his own as well. And after that, things settle into a friendship between all three which is solid enough that Minmay is willing to leave everything behind to travel with them on Megaroad 01... and from there into the realms of modern legend.

Macross 7: As mentioned above, Mylene likes Basara and Gamlin, while the former... well, he's a meathead of the Alto-type, but with a bigger ego and a customized Valkyrie. That ended... well, there's a bunch of extra OVA's, and I'm not really sure if I'd call that a friendship or not, like the above. I haven't seen Dynamite 7, for example.

Macross Plus: Isamu, Guld, and Myung were childhood friends and grew up together. Guld and Isamu were really good friends, before becoming rivals after finding themselves both attracted to Myung. The former two do regain their friendship... but Sharon Apple makes damned sure that not everyone gets to enjoy the 'happily ever after'.

Macross Zero: Sara Nome and Mao Nome are sisters, while Shin's the outsider. Shin had time with both girls, IIRC... although we most all know how THAT ended now (especially those who saw the last OVA episode, or got the Reader's Digest version in Macross F Ep 10). No happy endings, Shin picked 'his girl', and then goes off into the realm of legend.

.. and now in Macross F, we have what appear to be TWO triangles going. Makes you wonder whether we'll see any development on the secondary front there.
Old 2008-06-07, 22:04   Link #17
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Actually Macross 7 was much more like lets resolve our marriage crisis for our darling daughter. Max, Millia, Mylene.

Basara had several girls pinning for him flower girl, Rex, Sivil, Chlore and her entire fleet of Meltrans.

Even Emilia Jenius atracted to Basara, who takes after her mom Millia when beaten by a guy on what does best. (Hers is singing and rocking not combat)

A bit weeping crubaby and having then having the hots for the guy.

But Basara is too obsessed with singing to even smell the flowers. (literal and metaphorical)

Jenius sister harem, sounds nice . And well I do think that Mylene likes Basara more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Eh, at the end of Macross 7, its pretty much proven that Mylene likes Basara a lot more.

And if side materials are to be believed, Basara and Mylene have an official wedding photo

Well, if games and radio programs are to be taken into consideration, a lot of them are already... taken.

They would have been too old for Basara anyway

- Tak (And I cannot imagine Max's adopted daughter going gaga over him. I think she prefer to spear him instead of speaking to him )
Do you have the image? Also age doesn't matter for the Jeanus family, look at Millia she is 50 and still looks hot
Old 2008-06-07, 23:20   Link #18
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post

Do you have the image? Also age doesn't matter for the Jeanus family, look at Millia she is 50 and still looks hot
Well, so far, we've already seen

Emilia Jenius (Macross 7)
Mylene Flare Jenius (Macross 7)
Moaramia Fallyna Jenius (Macross M3)

But, Komilia Maria Fallyna Jenius, which we've only had a tiny glimpse over when she was just a baby in the original, grown over the years.

As of 2036, she looks like this

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 23:39   Link #19
herbert

Well, age does matter for Jenius's. It's only like you can never be too old but it would be problematic if you are too young.

I wonder if I time travelled. I see no mention of Alto, Sheryl, KlanX2, Micheal, Ozma, Cathy, and Leon at all. Do I come in a time before Macross Frontier broadcast?

My prediction for MF final pairings:

1) SherylXAlto
Weird enough. I had worried if Ranka may usurp so much for a long time. It's all suddenly gone. After episode 10, It became a sure thing in my eye that Alto would spend rest of his life to serve Lady Sheryl. And even if for some reasons(pineapple salad or whatever) Alto and Sheryl don't end up together, they wouldn't go out with others.

2) CathyXLeon
I still can't see why Leon must be bad guy or he deserves getting his ass kicked. I feel they will eventually destroy the wall between them(I don't mean Ozma dies or sth like).

3) MichealXKlanX2
I think this pairing is a known secret. They only need manage to survive to end and find a way to deal with the size problem.

I don't know about rest but I hope Luca will find a new crush since I want to say a certain word which is prohibited in this thread to Nanase.
Old 2008-06-08, 01:50   Link #20
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

It's about time we have this thread, though the few discussions already show how broad this topic can be. Maybe, I'll just have to wait and see where this thing will go.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance