AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2009-10-07, 01:30   Link #3341
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah View Post
You guys aren't being persuasive enough. On yer knees! BEG!!

Quote:
Oh God, what have you done? Don't shift the blame on me, even if it's logical! *gets fire extinguisher*
Off with his head!
Old 2009-10-07, 01:34   Link #3342
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Off with his head!

Spoiler for :'<:
Rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 01:38   Link #3343
Opace
~Lies evolves into Truth~

Send a message via MSN to Opace
Quote:
HnG is an easy manga to read. All the same, I'd take me around 3 hours to translate a single chapter, but that's because I'm a n00b.
Hayate no Gotoku has a fluctuation of easy's and hard's in my opinion (the hard being those little speeches made by the Narrator going on and on about something; just a wall of text). The recent chapters have been easy in comparison to how hard reading raws can get, but still a challenge nevertheless.

It took me about.. 5 minutes (which is quite a long time considering how little there is) to understand 85% of all the text in 233. But even if I didn't know exactly what it meant, I just construct a series of "paths" which it could mean since I know the general meaning and pick the most logical one. Even if it wasn't that, I probably would have thought of it in the other "paths" or gotten pretty close to what the real meaning was.

But it is a great learning aid, in my opinion. It's been a year since I took Japanese as a class so reading takes a bit longer than I'd like it to be, but I find it rapidly increasing. Kanji (thank god for Furigana) is also very interesting.
Opace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 01:42   Link #3344
Used Can

Quote:
Spoiler for :'<:
... Well, shit...

;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opace View Post
the hard being those little speeches made by the Narrator going on and on about something; just a wall of text
That's true, when Hata starts writing all that nonsensical rubbish, it can get quite hard to read.
Old 2009-10-07, 01:42   Link #3345
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
But it is a great learning aid, in my opinion. It's been a year since I took Japanese as a class so reading takes a bit longer than I'd like it to be, but I find it rapidly increasing. Kanji (thank god for Furigana) is also very interesting.
Want to try translating the spoilers this week then? I feel like taking a break since it's the holidays. You don't have to though.
Koroshiya_Kame_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 01:46   Link #3346
Opace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroshiya_Kame_13 View Post
Want to try translating the spoilers this week then? I feel like taking a break since it's the holidays. You don't have to though.
It's funny you asked because I've seen you post the spoilers twice now, and twice have I attempted to translate it for myself; and twice have I failed to understand more than 40% at most. Those Kanji really do get harder, and my year worth of grammatical knowledge doesn't help me much either.

And plus, you know, it wouldn't exactly be the most accurate translation; I doubt anyone else would understand it. ;D
Old 2009-10-07, 01:56   Link #3347
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Well alright. Kanji's not really hard when you pick up the trends. Kanjis were based on actual objects long ago and you can guess the meaning most of the time with the sentence its in and what components its made up of.
Old 2009-10-07, 01:56   Link #3348
Rah

Hayate awokeneds from slumberness. He will is be seeing the rings on the wooden boxness.

Quote:
... Well, shit...

;_;
^_^

Asian languages are all a pain. And it's for both sides, because if they try to learn english, well, ... yeah.. hahaha. And the other way around. Way too many Kanji...

Just throw your pride and history out of the window, and embrace our alphabet!

Would that simplify things, or would it actually make everything harder? What say you, moonspeakers?
Old 2009-10-07, 02:05   Link #3349
Opace

Quote:
Well alright. Kanji's not really hard when you pick up the trends. Kanjis were based on actual objects long ago and you can guess the meaning most of the time with the sentence its in and what components its made up of.
Oh I know most of the theoretical things about Kanji, since I am of a Chinese ethnicity and was born and raised in a mostly chinese inhabitated town before moving to an English speaking country when I was young. Safe to say, I forgot most of the little Kanji I learnt when I was young (doesn't help when the school also forces you to learn French, German or Spanish and Latin; of which I forgot most of it but can still translate a little).

That said, I can still listen to everyday usage of Mandarin, and the dialect my family uses (Fuzhou) fluently.

I really do love languages and the variation they bring. I've been exposed to 7 languages (6 if you discount Fuzhou which is a dialect like Cantonese to Mandarin) and they really are great fun (although I do hate some parts of it). The Cultural differences are a treat to find out about.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:11   Link #3350
Used Can

Quote:
Just throw your pride and history out of the window, and embrace our alphabet!
We could be speaking Esperanto, you know? But nooo... those guys had to be pretentious, and make it overtly complex.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:17   Link #3351
Koroshiya_Kame_13

No spoilers yet. Wish they came out on Wednesdays like last time a few months ago. The thing I don't get, the Chinese scanlation was on Tuesday, and the official magazine release was on Wednesday, so who can post it on the net before it even comes out?
Old 2009-10-07, 02:25   Link #3352
Opace

Quote:
No spoilers yet. Wish they came out on Wednesdays like last time a few months ago. The thing I don't get, the Chinese scanlation was on Tuesday, and the official magazine release was on Wednesday, so who can post it on the net before it even comes out?
Hata telling (indirectly or not) a guy about Hayate's next week's chapter's spoilers who told about guy who told his friend's brother who's a fan of Hayate who asked his cousin to type it up and email the author of a popular blog?

We'll never know though. Humankind posses great knowledge on how to find spoilers and distribute them.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:27   Link #3353
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
Hata telling (indirectly or not) a guy about Hayate's next week's chapter's spoilers who told about guy who told his friend's brother who's a fan of Hayate who asked his cousin to type it up and email the author of a popular blog?

We'll never know though. Humankind posses great knowledge on how to find spoilers and distribute them.
Power of humans. Now if Hayate can utilize this effectively he might even be able to find the ring his parents pawned off him.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:33   Link #3354
Rah

Quote:
Power of humans. Now if Hayate can utilize this effectively he might even be able to find the ring his parents pawned off him.
Too bad that it's probably too small for him now. Athena had his ring in the box, because she probably still treasures it, but also because she can't wear it anymore (if she ever did after he left...).

Current enigmas:

1. Is Athena unwell? (illness, curse, you name it...)
2. Did she hide in the room, or did she leave to come back later?
3. Will Machi be the new grand champion burger eater?
Old 2009-10-07, 02:39   Link #3355
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
Current enigmas:

1. This scene is almost identicle to someone who is trying hard not to give in to a temptation (like smokers trying not to smoke). Its as if she's trying to resist imagining what would have happened if the fight never occured.
2. I'll say she's probably hiding somewhere, given the time she had when Hayate woke up. If she left, I'm pretty sure Hayate would've noticed the door opening (the door should be closed).
3. Who was the old one?
Old 2009-10-07, 02:41   Link #3356
Rah

Quote:
1. This scene is almost identicle to someone who is trying hard not to give in to a temptation (like smokers trying not to smoke). Its as if she's trying to resist imagining what would have happened if the fight never occured.
2. I'll say she's probably hiding somewhere, given the time she had when Hayate woke up. If she left, I'm pretty sure Hayate would've noticed the door opening (the door should be closed).
3. Who was the old one?

Ouch! You got me there. Are there any gluttons in HnG? Hmmm, perhaps Ayumu? Hehe..
Old 2009-10-07, 02:42   Link #3357
Opace

Unfortunately, Hayate is a human from Gotokukind. They may posses incredible speed, acute sense of danger and can ride a bicycle at 200 m/ph, but they are romantic-idiots and does not have humankind's abilities to find out stuff.

Quote:
Too bad that it's probably too small for him now. Athena had his ring in the box, because she probably still treasures it, but also because she can't wear it anymore (if she ever did after he left...).

Current enigmas:

1. Don't think so, or at least it's not affecting her greatly at the moment. Unless you mean totally heartbroken from the fight 10 years ago, then yes her symbolic heart is killing her slowly at the moment.
Spoiler:

3. No, Ayumu went and did it first. ;D

Athena going うぐ~ made my heart sink. It really did.

Edit: For the 2nd question, maybe she did hide. But I think she left the room to check.
Old 2009-10-07, 04:45   Link #3358
Rah

Hata, if you're not gonna reunite Hayate and Athena anytime soon, then besides whatever is going to take place at Athena's mansion (Hayate searching for her, Hayate leaving, ... can't think of anything else atm), can you do a burger eating competition between Ayumu and Machina?

Hmmm, perhaps Machina can pair with one of the girls. I wonder which would be the most compatible with him. We don't know much of him yet, though...
Old 2009-10-07, 05:37   Link #3359
Opace

If somehow Machina breaks his loyalty to Athena and Ayumu her romantic interest for Hayate, they are definitely the best matching pair, for sure. All evidence suggests so.
Old 2009-10-07, 07:02   Link #3360
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
If somehow Machina breaks his loyalty to Athena and Ayumu her romantic interest for Hayate, they are definitely the best matching pair, for sure. All evidence suggests so.
The only two points I see that proves they are a good pair is they both like to eat and they are both not as intelligent as the rest of the cast. I don't see the other evidence though.

Tags
comedy, shounen